/umg/ - Unix Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for Unix and Unix-like systems.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
pastebin.com/aaf3SgUu

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md (Guide to installing CRUX and Source Mage)

>Pastebins
Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you.

Other urls found in this thread:

codelab.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/firefox-drops-alsa-apulse-to-the-rescue/
kmandla.wordpress.com/
inconsolation.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> unix

WM ram usage comparison

>Unix.
So can BSD be minimalist?

Yes and it's been in the OS list for a little while as has OpenIndiana

I'm on macOS. How to get into /minimal/?

ow i like this thread

First step is to go back to Rebbit. Second step is you can't.

>OpenIndiana
But isn't that Solaris based, senpai?

use the terminal for most of your file management purposes.
Install homebrew so that you have access to a lot of command line utilities.
In general, try to use terminal-based applications if possible.
Not really much else I can say, as you can't really switch desktop environments on macOS as you can with GNU/Linux.

Yes it is.
>can BSD be minimalist?
>Yes and it (referring to BSD) 's been in the OS list for a little while as has (now referring to something different) OpenIndiana

Hey guys, I think I'm minimalistic enough to join your group

install gentoo

whoops, sorry senpai, misread that there, my bad.

codelab.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/firefox-drops-alsa-apulse-to-the-rescue/

add this to the Pure ALSA paste, this is how you get current firefox builds to play sound without pulseaudio

>umg
>unix
>lmao
>lmao
meme thread died in less than 24hrs, let's boost the record boys
ofc you can. You just need to pretend and you are auto /minimal/ or better /unix-minimal/. The OP is exactly like this and also an Apple product /minimalist/ consumer.

Is frontend web development the anti minimalism?

Html/Css/Javascript
Jade/Sass(Compass)/Jquery
Frameworks(Bootstrap, Angular)
etc...
It's a big fat mass
and nobody cares for semantic anymore, so the purpose for css is not there anymore.
The original design and how it has been intended is down the drain
but noone cares and no one wants to redisgn or admit the frankenstein monster front end development has become

The emperor does have no clothes, but no one cares.
People are fine with the wasted human resources because webdevelopment nowadays is so backwards.

I think the biggest thing there is that electron needs to DIE A FLAMING DEATH.

Like, look if you want to make some redarded-ass website/webapp in the browser, it's not a great thing, but in the end, fine.
But STOP USING JAVASCRIPT FOR DESKTOP PROGRAMS.
That's not what it's meant for. You have C and C++ and toolkits like Qt if you want to do that.

I hear even Mozilla Thunderbird is going this direction, reimplementing shit in "web technologies". fuck off with that

Remember : XFCE3 is true minimalism.

just do everything on emacs bro

GIF is not a good example of front end web development. Example in GIF takes some level of ingenuity and intelligence.

I've seen what that looks like. Kinda looks a little bit like CDE

Taking note, thanks

Any guides on how to de-bloat OSX?

Other than changing the default programs for lighter alternatives and using more the terminal, no. MacOS is as bloated as windows and even more prone to crash if you mess up with the defaults.

Front end web dev is just the preferred hunting ground of ad slingers and scumfuck B2B companies at the moment.
> sure goyim, the widgets are free
> just let us monitor everyone who visits your site
> what ad money? we already gave you widgets
Give it another 10 years. Everyone will realize they're getting fucked.

Thanks, what are some lightweight alternatives?

Switch to GNU/Linux

Emacs is the opposite of minimalism

Use launchctl to disable any unnecessary services

I unironically agree with this pic

>start going minimal and deleting things I don't care about
>end up with less than 20GB

Now what'll I do with all these hard disks?

I guess you could use termux, mutt, vim and w3m or something to get a similar effect but why use 4 programs when you can use 1?

bash is more minimal than C for most use-cases.

sorry meant tmux, been away from my desktop too much recently

Reminder that only bitmap fonts are minimal.

Store stuff on them!! ^_^

You do not understand what minimal means

The whole point is that you already have system utilities for everything emacs includes, so why would you download another entire software suite?

depends whether it's more minimal to have a swiss army knife or a set of tools

Not that guy, I like Emacs myself, it has a lot of pro and it should be included in the list of minimalist software. The thing is, normally it doesnt reuse external applications. By this you are tied to an specific implementation and if there is an improvement on the low level, meaning, an application works better under the hood, you can pick that application instead of the monolith that is Emacs.

The Lisp engine taken by its own, and the text editor taken by its own, those are really good things an is a meme hating on Emacs.

MWM?

emacs is like carrying around a set of tools AND a 350lb swiss army knife that does exactly the same thing and requires you to know magic sayings to get it to work

yep

Media. Hoard data. Eventually everything will be "as a service", so hoard everything you can now.

I unironically make my system more minimal so I can make easier to hoard data. When you reach certain level you understand.

Thanks user, very useful.
I think I'll try i3 because due to it's popularity.
Its performances seem also good.

Hi minix boy friend!
I installed the pkgsrc tree and stuff. Tell me what I should try installing with it!

nice! install figlet like me
i gotta look through pkgsrc and see what's included

They have a WM section. Gonna see if I can a tiling WM like i3 or suckless dwm

Is it possible to use a DE and still be minimal?

Maybe if is CDE

Not usually, DEs by definition come with unnecessary software to give you an entire computing environment. Don't feel bad if you have to use one, though.

CDE is not minimal by any means

On my laptop I'm running Arch with SysVInit and XFCE (without xfce4-goodies). I only have 400 or so packages installed. I like the idea of minimalism but I just don't have the motivation to learn to use a tiling window manager.

getting i3 now. I think it's getting dependencies first.
Also I just realized I called u boyfriend
awkward...
There's that user who uses XFCE3, which is apparently just as light as minimal WMs according to him.
Yeah if you need one you need one, but if you don't, you don't.

that's fair, you don't have to use a tiling window manager to use a "minimal" window manager. DEs by definition are just window managers that ship with a bunch of extra software to make your computing experience easier. you can install just xfwm if you wanted to. you might like openbox, it's a non-tiling "minimal" window manager.

There are tons of non-tiling wm. One of them is IceWM and looks like a DE. Other options are FVWM, Window Maker. and my favorite Motif Window Manager, aka MWM (the one in the pics above).

let's not forget that dwm has floating support

i didn't say i minded

dwm is okay, if you have to use a tiling wm you should use dwm
it should use xterm rather than st by default though

kmandla.wordpress.com/
inconsolation.wordpress.com/

Obligatory.

>tfw echo and figlet don't support escape seqences
well atleast I can use printf

$'foo\nbar'

Anyone getting low internet speed using wpa_supplicant in Void?

My cable speed is fine. But when I'm in wifi I get about 65% less. Fuck me. I might be doing something wrong.

I've had issues where multiple instances of network managers were running simultaneously like netctl and NetworkManager or wpa_supplicant and connman. maybe use 'top' to see what's running.

I want to do the Minix challenge. The the way it was proposed is too plain. Any suggestions of how I can customize it? Preferably something that I can implement myself.