Talk shit about macs since I was 18 (I'm 30)

>talk shit about macs since I was 18 (I'm 30)
>get a new job where I'm issued a macbook pro
>fall in love with it in less than 25 hours
It has its shortcomings, but if you like Linux there's no reason you won't like MacOS, unless you're a freedom purist (don't lie to yourself you know you're using nonfree packages right now).

>if you like Linux there's no reason you won't like MacOS
There is, it has retarded UX.

What's bad about it? The most annoying default behavior I've found is command+c and command+v instead of using Ctrl, but that's pretty minor cause I'm using a hhkb in Mac mode anyways

>be Mac fag
>Make up story on Sup Forums about how you used to hate Macs but now you love them

I too hated Macs before everyone else decided to poorly imitate their business model and aesthetics

Believe what you want I don't really care. I'd just suggest using one for a day or two and seeing for yourself. The experience has been pretty good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>It has its shortcomings, but if you like Linux there's no reason you won't like MacOS, unless you're a freedom purist (don't lie to yourself you know you're using nonfree packages right now).
Running nonfree software in a nonfree environment is like being in a jungle, surrounded by tigers which may or may not attack you in your sleep.
Running free software in a nonfree environment is like taking you dog with you in the jungle; the dog may help you / alert you of nearby dangers, but you still are in an hostile environment.
Running nonfree software in a free environment is like (when done properly) visiting the zoo in your city.
Running free software in a free environment is like taking your dog for a walk in the park.

Mac is good for creative work, that's it

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Knock it off there, doctor fucking doolittle

>Running nonfree software in a free environment is like (when done properly) visiting the zoo in your city.
>Running free software in a free environment is like taking your dog for a walk in the park.
animals can escape cages and fuck your shit up just the same as a jiggaboo can hide behind a tree in a park and rape your faggot little boipussi, now quit with the dogshit analogies, you really didn't hit the nail there

MacOS is fine, but the hardware is dogshit. This is why Hackintosh exists.

>What's bad about it?
NO FOCUS ON HOVER
>NO FOCUS ON HOVER
NO FOCUS ON HOVER
>NO FOCUS ON HOVER
NO FOCUS ON HOVER
>NO FOCUS ON HOVER

>tfw hackintosh master race

>I'm 30
About time to come out of the closet.

>if you like Linux there's no reason you won't like MacOS
The DE is almost as bad as GNOME.

Idon't get what analogies are: the post

>¯\_(ツ)_/¯
we are not the sort of people to have control taken away from use because we were probably bullied.

>forced to work on macos at work
>immediately hate it
>entire thing is designed for literal brainlets
>code that works on linux breaks on mac
>have to rewrite it
mac is rightfully mocked because shits fuck

What? It's a work computer in a production environment. What kind of control do you expect to have at work retard

I'm also 30 OP and I had the exact opposite experience. I had several jobs a couple years ago where they gave me MBPs and I hated them every time. The hardware is overpriced and not actually that well made and the apple store will gouge you ridiculously on repair costs. The OS is basically just a fucked up version of BSD with a bunch of useless proprietary shit tacked on top.

Also it's worth noting that as a corporate dev most people I met who used macs for work just used them because they needed Xcode to build a macOS/iOS app, not because they actually liked them. Apple is probably the worst when it comes to vendor lock-in

>don't lie to yourself you know you're using nonfree packages right now
On my current thinkpad running ubuntu, vrms reports I am using one nonfree which is "intel-microcode." The next laptop I get will not have this problem.

>implying anyone who browses here regularly is employed

yeah? no shit, i've been using macs since macbook pro g4 (last one with motorola cpu) and believe me that they are:

1. locked down. wanna change your MAC? foget
2. not compatible with many widely used technologies like NTFS. want a working driver? pay for passport
3. virtualization possibilities are a fucking joke compared to linux
4. network stack is a garbage.
5. mouse/touchpad oriented gui

still better than windows, but if you want to compare macos to linux i can give you a rundown of things that you can do with linux and with macos not. i'm a networking engineer so it may be case specific but its like comparing flat screwdriver to huge box of tools.

Need to compile some react-native apps for iOS How easy is to Hackintosh considering I'm on an Intel CPU and Radeon video card? (Never touched a Mac in life)
It's worth the effort? Maybe virtualizing mac os?

>(don't lie to yourself you know you're using nonfree packages right now).
only one driver's firmware afaik and after the chink applel leaks of user data, no thx
in your place i'd only use it for what it was issued to me and nothing else

gay

>talk shit about gays since I was 18 (I'm 30)
>get a new job where I'm issued a macbook pro
>fall in love with gays in less than 25 hours
It has its shortcomings, but if you like cocks there's no reason you won't like MacOS, unless you're a pussy purist.

There's literally nothing that MacOS has that I want that a Linux distro doesn't except a few vidyagaymz and maybe a better video editor than kdenlive. I like freedom of choice and being an environment that has a focus on sharing, not profiteering. t.commie fag

You never had taste in computers, you just disliked Macs for all the wrong reasons. You were always a latte-sipping, Top-10 listening, capeshit watching, turbo normie at heart. All you did was come out of the closet.

MACTODDLERS BTFO

GNOME is the best Linux DE, the standard Linux DE

And what are those things that you love in your Mac?

mac at hardware level:
>fragile piece of shit
>fucking proprietary you can't fix it or upgrade it yourself (not without having to bring it to the company and get jew'd for money)
>you can buy a PC with same specs for less
OS level:
>doesn't offer anything that a pirated windows 7 won't offer you (lmao)
>spies on you
and of course overpriced

Seriously, if there are any unironic macfags in here, please explain your reasoning on buying this when you could've bought a PC that offers the same for less??

>world class service
>no pajeet registry wizardry/dealing with autists with pictures of greek philosophers on linux forums
>hardware built specifically around the os, never any compatibility issues
Basically, mac is for people who like to get work done instead of "fixing" things (procrastinating) and never getting anything done,much like windows and linux users

>walking your dog in the park like a poof.
>not enjoying the thrill of being in a jungle full of tigers.

Freetards are truly as gay as they sound.

>>world class service
So...same as toshiba or HP or literally any other decent manufacturer?
>no pajeet registry wizardry/dealing with autists with pictures of greek philosophers on linux forums
what?
>hardware built specifically around the os, never any compatibility issues
Pathetic excuse, PC prebuilts exist, and they do have the OS's installed; so literally all you have to do is go order one, open it up and tada, Win7 already installed and ready to go

PC unironically shits all over your starbucks machine.

>>world class service

>buy macintrash for mom
>Applel with 2% marketshare have their store's gaybar packed Monday - Friday all day during workdays and even more on weekends with broken iTrash coming in
>mom has to lug her macshit to the gaybar and wait for hours in line with smelly hipsters to get service.

>buy pc for mom
>95% marketshare she can walk into any big retail store carrying 50 different brands and have maybe 5 people with problems on a weekend
>gets in, fix problem, done

>move out of state
>buy mom an XPS with in-home warranty
>a tech will come to her house next day for warranty repairs/tech support

Macs are for brain dead drooling troglodytes who buy anything their TV tells them to buy.

already tried Macs a few times, same goes with Linux
still gonna use windows, I am only used to it

>youre using nonfree packages right now

Nope. I am using 100% free software, that is copyleft (GPL) or permissively licensed (BSD, MIT, apache, etc). Of course I am ok using proprietary software if it is the better tool for the job. for example, GIMP is not a good substitute for photoshop or Affinity in professional graphic design. fortunately i dont do graphic design.

Also I like my hardware better. Of course I can do hackintosh but my linux setup is faster and I can use KVM for my work.
x220 gentoo btw

If your'e posting Christ-chan you better not be a fucking heathen or I will hunt you down and murder your entire family for the Church.

>30 y/o
>Sup Forums
That's it, I'm leaving. I'm only 15, but I'm not gonna end up like you losers.

Don't come back.

You are terrible. Stop pretending you know shit about GNU/Linux and computers.

> 1. locked down. wanna change your MAC? foget
It’s a fucking ifconfig parameter named ether you brainless idiot. Are you one of those Sup Forums gaymer kids pretending you are a GNU/Linux hacka on Sup Forums?

> 2. not compatible with many widely used technologies like NTFS. want a working driver? pay for passport
Because it is proprietary you dumb fuck. Even then this is a lie because there is read only support out of the box. If you insist on using this pile of shit install fuse and be done with it. Oh wait you can’t even use ifconfig...

> 3. virtualization possibilities are a fucking joke compared to linux
There are at least three mainstream options and one of them is free. It’s not like you need some kernel based hyper visor on your laptop anyway right?

> 4. network stack is a garbage.

Here let me make stupid baseless vague comments because I don’t know how computers work.

> 5. mouse/touchpad oriented gui
Yeah right? It’s not like you can use terminal.app and fire bash or zsh like you would do on Linux right? Of course you can’t BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A GNU/LINUX USER.

You mean the DE every Linux user instantly copies?

>Get a Mac for free
>Don't have to take the huge downsides like cost, repairs (lol.. apple repairs) or anything else related to performance per $

Epic dude no shit, you don't have to worry about the main problems the typical consumer has

>NO FOCUS ON HOVER
MacOS has focus on hover, you fool

Nice LARP, soyboy.

I just wait for the guy to post the 1837293 mactoddler thread links

You're right, Macbooks are great when they're free (paid for by the company). No way in hell I'm sinking more than $150 on them myself.

>I had to get paid to use a mac and now I shill it
Nice blog post tard

I had never used macOS. Used it at work and realized it's by far the worst OS I've ever used. I have to use the Terminal for basic tasks.

>some horribly outdated GNU and BSD software on top of a fisherprice interface
>falling in love with it
Wat

this
/thread

MacOS is fucking trash, i had to use it for 4 years
at least some work could be done on windows so i didn't go fully insane

Probably the most clever analogy contrasting free and botnet software I've seen in awhile. I'll use this, user c:

but everyone thinks you're gay now

>use hammers all my life hammering down nails while talking shit about saws
>have to use a saw to saw down a tree
woooow saws are so great wtf hammers suck

>use a large monitor
>have to move mouse from one corner to other
>change focus 17 times on the way
Why do prople want this?

I'm on the same boat user, talked shit about macos forever, got a mac and fell in love almost instantly. beats windows 10 which is 3 operating systems layered on top of one another. Everything on a mac instantly works. Need to print something? plug printer in and it works, every time, no windows bs. aesthetics is also a massive reason, the UI is standardized across most apps, win10 just looks and behaves like shite.
disabled by default

I guess if you work with media or development, mac is way far ahead of anything else. If you wanna be an edgy fag who chooses a worse user experience because it helps you pretend you're not being spied on, mac isnt for you.

What's tiling WM for MacOS? If there isn't a good one, just use GNU+Linux.

I used to like the build quality on old PowerBooks and Macbook Pros, but now that they have no ports, shit keyboards, and soldered components I see no reason to use one.

Are shill threads really allowed on Sup Forums?

how do I unsubscribe

yes, even mods are in on this shit

With mods from reddit, yes.

External keyboard caps lock lights don't work
Nonstandard keyboard layout
Command + x/c/v for cut/copy/paste instead of CTRL + x/c/v
Pressing delete in finder does nothing. Must use command + backspace to move to trash
Enter in finder renames file instead of opening it
Maximize button doesn't maximize
Clicking a programs icon in dock doesn't minimize/restore
Menu bar doesn't extend across multiple monitors. Must go to primary monitor to open menus for programs on secondary screen
No proper package manager
Finder has no option to show hidden files, must execute a terminal command and kill finder
No preview of program windows when hovering over the dock icons
Lol no ports. Lol just use a dongle
Filesystem isn't case sensitive
Glossy screen instead of matte. Not even the excuse of being a touchscreen

underrated he may be paid shill too

Shut up Faggot

> Filesystem isn't case sensitive
I thought it's up to user when he installs the OS.

Finding a reason to hate something you need to use at work doesn't make sense.
It only takes one thing to tip you over the edge and then there is no coming back.

At my work, we use HP. There were some mixup when I got hired, so it took them a while to get my laptop.
The bonus of this is I now have 3 monitors when I dock and that is a joy to work with.
But when I am not using the laptop as a gimped desktop, I can't help but see the too obvious missing mouse button.
I never realised how much I use this on my thinkpad at home, but the mouse is completely unusable now.

My point is that if you love a thing you are stuck with, don't find ways to break that.

>MacOS has hover, ya dip!
>MacOS doesn't have hover, but it's a stupid feature anyways...

Someone's gotta talk to their boss. They're not even working to the same guidelines.

I walk in a park.

I see around me an assortment of animals and fellow walkers.
I see an animal.
I yell at the animal "MAN"
the animal tells me how to interact with it. how to make it do it's purpose.
I yell at the animal "APT-GET SOURCE"
it shows me it's inner-workings. How every part of it moves around. The entangled system it weaves around.
I yell at the animal "APT-GET REMOVE"
the animal stops existing.
why do you think i should be afraid of this animal, or that the danger is at all comparable to an animal I cannot command and understand similarly?

>it has less features and it doesnt work as well as alternatives but thats ok because youre a retard for wanting features

Oh look, it's the I-never-liked-macs-but thread again. Report and move along.

That's not what the second poster said, retard

Ok.... let's go off the deep end and imagine Apple's platform hegemony and proprietary bullshit cocktail don't matter for an insane second. Still, whatever good there is to a mac is ousted by the fact that their pricing is INSANELY INFLATED and the performance retention over time is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

A macbook equivalent to my thinkpad has a 150% markup