/pmp/ ~ portable music player

/pmp/ personal music player general
This thread is for the discussion portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 spotify

Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide has been updated again, thanks to your efforts → spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Rockbox 3.14 released, significant battery increase compared to 3.13. The battery increase was from the cpu scaling patches, which has been available on dev builds for a (long) while.
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Previous Thread ⤑

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-2pcs-pair-DIY-Earphones-GK-31732-Experience-Balance-Armature-Speaker-Receiver-Earphone-Accessories-from/1000001308317.html
thepirate.top/torrent/10264476/IPod_click_wheel_games_CRACKED_with_instructions_for_both_Mac_an
ifixit.com/Guide/iPod Classic Headphone Jack & Hold Switch Replacement/562
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who keeps making these threads?
What is the point?

>why would anyone need a flashlight when their phone has one

Also the DAP guide should be ditched and replaced with a general DAP selection guide.

In other news:
Sony players have rockbox now, works well.
Benjie T6 too but it's not quite there yet

3rd party clear case for iPod Video??

PHONE

my andorid phone with plex works just fine.

>Sony players have rockbox now
any small ones? Clip Zip size?

No it doesn't, it sounds like shit

You know walmart sells mp3 players that can take USBs as expandable memory for like $50 right?

I have a 160gb ipod classic full of carefully collected and catalogued music.

It wont work. Im terrified I have lost all my music collection.

Does anyone one if theres a good recovery software out there? Any stores that will provide ipod data recovery?

Ideally I can save my playlists, ratings, artwork, lyrics, and autistic sorting tags, but if thats not possible I want to at least save the music.

Please help me Sup Forums youre my only hope.

no it doesn't?

Yes it does. There's no way your Android phones 3.5mm jack outputs the same quality audio as a dedicated PMP unless you have a flagship LG phone

>didn't have you music backed up on another device

Sorry you did it to yourself, user. It was only a matter of time.

this is what they want you to believe in

This but unironically.

I have sansa clip zip but it's noisy crap. What pmp is optimized for ultra-sensitive IEMs? Currently listening from my phone at 40% volume.

I have A5 2016, hd650 and modi2/magni3 and the only difference is that magni3 is louder, that's it.

Please no...Im already suffering.

I knew it was coming, didnt have a pc at the time so i started backing it up to my brothers pc but never finished.

I know is my fault but I want to believe in grace and mercy and not untold pain and regret.... I have music there from the napster days that I dont even remember the name of or where else to find it.

I feel you, I once lost 500GB of FLAC fully edited and taged music collection... Since then I always backup. Welcome to the club.

No, they're thinner though.
Not much larger either, mostly just longer

I compared my chinkshit phone's 3.5 and fiio e10k connected by otg usb cable, there's no fucking difference, it's just louder. Was using Neutron with direct DAC driver btw.

There are things that specialized devices do that "all in one" things like a smartphone can't. A good flashlight can flood a pitch black forest with light. A smartphone can't.

For PMPs, I don't use them for audophile reasons. I use a Clip Zip because they're tiny as fuck, weigh nothing, have tactile buttons, and software that makes navigating and organizing braindead easy (rockbox). I don't want my big phone in my pocket all the fucking time.

This. Using PMP for audiophile reasons is retarded.

>Fiio E10K
There's your problem.

One of the most precise portable combos. Other solutions are simply even louder with higher noise floor.

It's a mediocre entry level dacamp, it's just there in case your laptop/PC's output is just too shitty

>The only difference is that it's louder
What piece of shit headphones are you using?

ATH-IM02.

Which aliexpress earbuds should I buy?

Where can I download iPod classic games?

Obligatory PSP/GO appreciation post.

got 50 bux to spend at amazong any DAP recs?

>flashlight is usually stronger than phone led
>meanwhile a pmp plays fucking music, and that's it

The one that will kill you immediately.

hd650

KZ ATE?

>won 5 years of Spotify Premium
>pay $4.99/month for Apple Music

Only Apple device I use on a daily basis

So I just bought a pair of ATH MSR7s to use outdoors, will I notice better quality with a PMP or should I stick with my phone? (Mi A1)

Best ipod

No it's not, my phone doesn't get loud enough with my Aeons

VE Monk Plus

Are there any tutorials on how to create themes for Rockbox/Sansa e260?

I use the nano 3rd gen, I couldnt do without a scroll wheel and screen

Goddamn I love Rockbox. Freesoftware is king.

My rigaz

Why those? The espresso ones are 30 fucking dollars. Why? There can't be actually good hardware with great sound in them, they only have as much space in them as regular 99 cent gas station ear buds.

Still rocking the sansa fuze, after it dies ill get a old school ipod

They're only OK but they do work

Put the hard drive in another iPod?

I meant the 5 dollar basic models, they're good for the price. The expensive ones are lmao

can i get a 3000 mah battery inside a 6g with and sd card board?

>he thinks size of earbuds is relevant to sound

Ah, okay, so I should not get the Espresso ones? I actually kind of like how they look and if they sound okay then that's cool.

ve monk plus are worse than the original ve monk.

I've got the espresso ones and regular ones, they look nice, the build quality is exactly the same, and the sound is essentially the same. I'd recommend buying regular ve monks unless you fall for the meme and want to own multiples.

t. Has never heard original ve monks

>earbuds are cheap to manufa...
aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-2pcs-pair-DIY-Earphones-GK-31732-Experience-Balance-Armature-Speaker-Receiver-Earphone-Accessories-from/1000001308317.html
Oh.

How is the Ruizo X50?

>No driver matching

Unrelated but I tried looking for the parts used in the CA Orion I used to have. The drivers and dampers came out about $40 for a pair of each. Never found the price for the shell and beryllium-copper mmcx connectors though.

Well, if you don't mind paying 15 bucks extra over the basic version for the looks and the included carry case, then by all means go for it. But the earphones themselves are exactly the same.

>t. spotifag

Thank you.

thepirate.top/torrent/10264476/IPod_click_wheel_games_CRACKED_with_instructions_for_both_Mac_an
Don't forget to seed you fuck

i have both

prove it

Try plugging it into a PS3 and pressing triangle to view the files on the device. That's what worked for me when my iPod "lost" all its music.

How do I install them on a 6th gen iPod

It's incredible that people actually have these.

m1 crew

was wondering the same.
-kz ate owner

Take hd out

I recently got a new battery for my old Sansa E280. The label claims the mAh rating is a good 50%+ higher than the old one but it only lasts 6 hours. A lot of good the 40 GB of music it can store does me if it doesn't even last a full day at work. Is this just all there is to look forward to when dealing with Chinese batteries? If so, are there any mp3 players/portable music players out there that use non proprietary batteries (such as the old ones that ran on AAA batteries) and either have an internal hard drive or can SDHC (2 GB+) cards?

Amping for the sole purpose of volume is not an audiophile reason

I need a players that minimum 200GB with no touch screen/useless smartphone features and preferably physical buttons, academics please respond

Hello boys. NW-A45

How? Does it just play random tracks?

A couple off the top of my head: Fiio X5 (w/ SD cards), iPod Classic (modded).

The switch on the side toggles shuffle mode on and off. Then it's the next & previous buttons for navigation.

Looking at getting one of these.
How are they?

any pmp under 50 bucks?

Sansa Clips.

expensive but so good

Does that run Rockbox?
Sansa Clip
Sansa e200, 230, 250, 260

how is it? considering picking one up

Good, no real complaints from me.

Please update that shit guide

Take the hard drive out and put it in a new one off eBay guides probably online everywhere

I don't see a purchase advice request form so I'll just try to not be a faggot
>Budget
$300
>Amping
Must be able to drive all portables including the big multidriver iems like the massdrop plus or chifi custom-looking iems, ety, msr7, m50, gr07, etc. My phone can only drive this stuff at 100% volume
>Storage
Would like at least one SD card slot, I don't want to encode all my music away from flac just to put on the thing when sd cards are cheap
>Features
Intuitive way to browse library, parametric eq, good dsp options in general. Also please not fuck huge to the point where it looks like 4 smartphones in my jeans pocket.

Any ideas on some models? Thanks /pmp/!

Very nice but overpriced a tad

No clue if it runs rockbox sorry.

IPod classic headphone hack is only playing on one side, should I get a 30pin male to female headphone jack, or try to replace the actual headphone jack?

Doesn't exist
You can use a dap with that minidsp amp though.

While definitely possible, replacing the headphone jack will be a little tricky. Mainly due to opening the case being a bitch. The headphone jack and hold switch also come as a single component, so you'd likely need to replace the whole part. Or have it replaced for you.
ifixit.com/Guide/iPod Classic Headphone Jack & Hold Switch Replacement/562

The 30-pin solution will be a little simpler, but you'd be looking to get an additional device then, since the line out through the 30-pin connector is a fixed level signal and you'll want some way of controlling the volume (i.e. a portable headphone amp).

What is like a DAP (silent, no moving parts) but runs off mains instead of battery and has digital out?

bump

it's $3.99 alibaba tier shit for $50, if you buy those you are getting hosed.
None of them even shuffle properly.

>not streaming music via spotify
>not just buying phone with top tier DAC

Is there any PMP under $100 with physical buttons that is worth a damn?