Report: NVIDIA Not Unveiling 2018 Graphics Card Lineup at GDC, GTC After All

>It's being reported by Tom's Hardware, citing industry sources, that NVIDIA isn't looking to expand upon its graphics cards lineup at this years' GDC (Game Developers Conference) or GTC (GPU Technology Conference). Even as reports have been hitting the streets that pointed towards NVIDIA announcing (if not launching) their two new product architectures as early as next month, it now seems that won't be the case after all. As a reminder, the architectures we're writing about here are Turing, reportedly for crypto-mining applications, and Ampere, the expected GeForce architecture leapfrogging the current top of the line - and absent from regular consumer shores - Volta.

>There's really not much that can be gleaned as of now from industry sources, though. It's clear no one has received any kind of information from NVIDIA when it comes to either of their expected architectures, which means an impending announcement isn't likely. At the same time, NVIDIA really has no interest in pulling the trigger on new products - demand is fine, and competition from AMD is low. As such, reports of a June or later announcement/release are outstandingly credible, as are reports that NVIDIA would put the brakes on a consumer version of Ampere, use it to replace Volta on the professional and server segment, and instead launch Volta - finally - on the consumer segment. This would allow the company to cache in on their Volta architecture, this time on consumer products, for a full generation longer, while innovating the market - of sorts. All scenarios are open right now; but one thing that seems clear is that there will be no announcements next month.

@

techpowerup.com/241995/report-nvidia-not-unveiling-2018-graphics-card-lineup-at-gdc-gtc-after-all

Pray F for respects

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10222/nvidia-announces-tesla-p100-accelerator-pascal-power-for-hpc
anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070
extremetech.com/gaming/264576-massdrop-nvidia-expects-gpu-prices-rise-q3-2018
v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/3027627/amd-unveils-worlds-first-hardware-based-virtualised-gpu-tech-mxgpu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Check the archives. I laid out what they're likely up to. They have until the end of march to define their future. There is huge potential for them to fuck themselves as they greedily pursue higher margins and further market segmentation. A side of me wants them to be this dumb.

kys imbecile. AMD isn't any better.

Calm down, folks.

GeForce 400 series launched in April 2010

GeForce 500 series - November 2010 (7 months)

GeForce 600 series - March 2012 (16 months)

GeForce 700 series - May 2013 (14 months)

GeForce 900 series - September 2014 (16 months)

GeForce 10 series - May 2016 (20 months)

We've recently past the historical worst waiting gap between the last and next gen GPU. It's been 21 months and counting. Also notice the new Nvidia card launches have been consistently in Q2, so if we wait until Q3 or beyond for the Ampere card, it'd be out of the ordinary.

can you please tell us what you said in the archives? i can't be bothered to search for it

>have complete market domination
>two options
>release new graphics card now and have higher costs for the manufacturing and marketing of the new card while sales remain the same
>wait until competitor is about to release their next card then release yours to crush their sales figures

There's literally no benefit to nVidia to release a card right now. Maybe if there was more competition in the GPU market, but there ain't for whatever reason.

> AMD/Intel/Nvidia are attempting to create a new market segment
> This market segment will be filled by APUs and Cloud resources (cloud gaming)
The goal is to stick people w/ tv/vcr combo like computers that will require more frequent upgrades : APUs. As such, they'll capture and solve your compute/gpu needs for a set number of years at a lower cost before obsolescence and then offer you a new APU solution down the road. The result of this is higher profit margins. Nvidia offers APUs too through its Nvidia shield. They'll also up cloud gaming as a solution which results in higher profit margins as they get to milk you monthly. They'll offer it for free/low discount to sucker people in.
> APUs/Cloud leasing of resources will be launched first and allowed to persist well into summer as they force people into a new market segment
> By the end of summer and late into the end of the year, standalone GPUs will be relaunched at insane prices allowing them to really milk this current market segment.
> If you REEE, they'll tell you to go buy an APU or lease the GPU via the cloud
> Meme learning GPUs will see a doubling in cost
So, essentially, they killed the old market segment/pricing and created three new ones w/ high margins/profitability. A perma low-end one that will cause more frequent upgrades. A high end w/ super pro-level profit margins. And cloud leasing.
Consumers lose and they win HARD mode.
Why aren't they likely to launch affordable GPUs at GTC? they want their new APU/cloud market segment to gain roots/footing. So, they'll clip the supply of current standalone affordable GPUs while offering APUs/Cloud. A summer of max pain that will break people and force them into one or the two. Then they launch the assrape priced new GPUs which people with cash will painfully purchase as well.
Boom, cut one market segment into 3 w/ higher profit margins. This will be confirmed by end of march. So far APU/Cloud is a go. 2/3 proven right.

>cryptokikes gave the corporations an excuse to ruin home computing forever
What a time to be alive

anandtech.com/show/10222/nvidia-announces-tesla-p100-accelerator-pascal-power-for-hpc

>Nvidia announces Pascal microarchitecture at GTC 2016 April 5th

anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070

>Nvidia announces Pascal consumer GeForce cards May 7th

its because amd cant compete
with the 600 series nvidia took the lead and just continued piling on it, now the 10 destroyed everything amd had to offer... this amd sucking and cryptomining is destroying pc gaming market, because gpus are 2-3x the price...like 900 series is 4years old now, but in used market 970 is something like 200euro, which is just fucking ridiculous, since the card retailed at 350euros..

Indeed. The good thing is.. the historic trend that ensures there's always a cycle of death/birth of corporations is the act of price gouging/doing something boneheaded like this at one's peak. If you look closely, it's almost always at a well defined company's peak that they start doing dumb shit like absolutely taking a shit on their costumers killing their golden goose. And almost like magic, its at this very moment that they face competition from new entrants.

It's funny when you talk to people that they believe just because a corporation is worth hundreds of billions that they'll always be around whereas history shows that's not the case.. Bigger they are the harder they fall. You become your own worst enemy and begin consuming yourself and your markets in hopes for higher profits. Corporations eventually cross a fundamental line that begins unraveling them down to ash.

I look forward to whose going to make this fundamental misstep soon.

It's because of cryptoniggers. Nvidia can hold off as long as they like now that their GPU's are selling like hotcakes anyhow. AMD will use this period as well to develop a new GPU while using the money from crptoniggers to keep them afloat and expand other segments.

the only decent buy right now is 1060 3gb, which you can find for around 300euros, its short term card, but its decent value for now

If we're talking about getting too greedy and screwing over the customer, nVidia will probably be the one to screw up first. AMD is the only company in the universe whose entire existence they've been in the red and survived. The fuckers have a fire under their ass since their conception.

I don't deny this. They absolutely delivered on CPUs. I was saddened to see how vega was launched and sustained via marketing. Happy to see Raj go. Hopefully they get their shit together next go around. I hope they don't become greedy like Nvidia but it still is a possibility.

All together, I want new competition on both fronts CPU/GPU and also bus architectures. It's been too long and far too much stagnation. Fucking crusty ass PCIE 3.0.. DDR4 nigger pricing.

It's time for tons of accelerator cards on a fast bus + fairly priced ram.
CPU prices are solid but the paradigm needs to be broken up
GPU .. display pipelines need to be broken away from compute and new competition needs to roar in regarding many core compute. I'm really tired of 2-3 companies dictating computing and pricing... holding progress hostage to preserve margins. PCIE FUCKN 3.0 still and its 2018. PCIE 4.0 has been done for some time and when the fuck is amd going to open up infinity fabric as they promised? looks like they're gonna milk that shit for a decade.

wow, i'm actually scared by how plausible this seems

>GPU .. display pipelines need to be broken away from compute
So we should regress from unified shaders?

According to Sup Forumseddit, yes.
Anything to destroy the ebulz cryptojews.

I got my current 780 for 350€ back in 2013, 300€ for a midrange 2 years old GPU is insane.

The regression has already occurred in the nigger tier pricing. Computing resources are supposed to decrease in price not increase. The only thing I see an increase in is Nvidia's stock price and GPU prices. They're niggering the market man. They didn't even have enough decency to ramp supply. As such and given only two players, I desire display pipeline to be cut from compute so as to allow for new competition. Get rid of nigger tier PCI 3.0 and bring in the new low latency/high speed buses that these fags have been using in enterprise for decades and lets get some real competition/innovation. A fucking GPU cost $800. Think about that for a second. Where the fuck has the industry gone? A goofy ass phone cost $800.. it costs $100 to make. You're getting ass raped and anytime there's assrape there's more than enough room for new competition to come in, drop the price by half and still remain profitable. Thus, that's exactly what occurs. In all honesty, these guys are retarded if they think they're going to be allowed to corner the meme learning compute market w/o sizeable competition. I wouldn't be surprised if a decade or so down the road that the company that dominates meme learning compute is neither intel/amd or nvidia.

And yes this is a reality, on infrastructure insider sites, they highlight tons of companies you've never heard of before with real-world in-use hardware that you aren't privy too. PCI 4.0 already exists and is being shipped. An even better bus standard was recently ratified. There's tons of shit in enterprise that's decades old that these niggers continue to restrict from consumers so as to preserve margins. Time for this party to come to an end. They're holding back the future of computing so as to become personally (((RICH)))

No competition

the market for used 1080s will be fucking huge
you could probably 3x sli 1080s for like 400 bucks within 3-4 years. They'll break all the time since they spent 24 hours a day mining

>I hope they don't become greedy like Nvidia but it still is a possibility.
Oh but they will, literally the only reason AMD isn't fucking us as hard as Nvidia is because Nvidia is taking up that spot. You have to be real naive to believe that if the positions were reversed AMD would be a goody good shoes and care about customers and not milk customers.

>An even better bus standard was recently ratified.

You mean gen-z? 2022 at earliest.

>you could probably 3x sli 1080s for like 400 bucks within 3-4 years. They'll break all the time since they spent 24 hours a day mining
Why would you let the very same niggers that deplete the market of all GPUS, waste electricity to farm magic coints, get they money back for selling used GPUS that have been fucked over for years by operating full time?

>They'll break all the time since they spent 24 hours a day mining

Yep. And i'll wait. My builds were set in 2017 and ride 5 year cycles. Nothing excites me about current standards that are stuck in mud due to archaic pcie 3.0.
Correct. I'm waiting one more month to see what ngreedia does. A part of me wants them to fuck up so I can close the book for 5 years on hardware purchases. AMD delivered good on CPUs. So, i'm set.

Seems the next couple of years are going to be straight milking. It was like there was a 3-9 God window opened last year when everything was reasonably priced and amazing. Didn't take long before nigger mentality set in and things were returned to assrape

> Massdrop: Nvidia Expects GPU Prices to Rise Through Q3 2018
extremetech.com/gaming/264576-massdrop-nvidia-expects-gpu-prices-rise-q3-2018

they're selling enough shovels to gold diggers, why should they update.

please god no, I just want a 1080ti or a next gen card at a reasonable price

Part of it is that need isn't scaling drastically. The 1080 was bleeding edge in 2016 and it's only short of that now if you're looking at 60 fps/4k/maxed settings, which the 1080ti covers just fine. And it's not like they're having trouble selling cards, either.

Nigs gonna nig :
which is why the cyclic nature of the universe replaces old nigs with leaner/hungrier more efficient and innovative nigs.

I look forward to paying respects...

Hot off the presses ...
AMD enters the GPU virtualization game HARDMODE :
v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/3027627/amd-unveils-worlds-first-hardware-based-virtualised-gpu-tech-mxgpu

It's all coming together...

That sounds like a good thing for running games in a VM, since PCIe pass-through is a bit messy.

And by VM I don't mean cloud shit, I mean a VM that you're running.

>golden goose
Are game kiddies this delusional? top kek
NOVIDIA mining nao

> mfw the hunter becomes the hunted.
Enjoy the ponzi while it lasts.

I want to wake up from this nightmare

This

Nvidia wants to see if crypto cools off. Kind of hard to set prices when you have no idea what people are. Whether the bubble pops makes the difference between a $450 midrange GPU and a $700 midrange GPU. They do NOT want retailers to be collecting all that markup money.

>This would allow the company to cache in on their Volta architecture
>cache in

wew

Why the fuck would they ever unveil something new when they're selling absurd amounts of cards and AMD RTG embarrassingly far behind? If they were going to release something, it would be a Pascal refresh since it's still the winning architecture for gayming. At this point, not even a Zen could get RTG out of this shit since people are so brainwashed they will still pick Nvidia. IF GPUs sounds great, but GCN really needs to go.

This is it. I'll add to this, why release a new card, using currently expensive memory and silicon, when you can wait for memory and silicon prices to drop a bit? It just doesn't make sense for Nvidia. They're still selling everything in good numbers, and by now the production chain is streamlined so their margins are really good. It's a greedy move but I'd do the same. As long as Nvidia is still doing RnD and preparing the next gen of cards then it's all good for them. If they aren't they're just giving AMD some time to catch up a bit.

What are the chances of a new player in this market?

Fucking tired of overpriced Nvidia and sloppy AMD.

Reminder: AMD fucked us

The lack of competition ruined the industry.

Fagget AMD ruined Vega and then Raj left for Intel to work on their dGPU

>tfw you didn't listen to the "wait for volta" faggots, and snagged a 1070 when they were only a bit overpriced

No one cares about AMD, just buy nvidia. Industry standard for everything from games to machine learning ai. maximum compatibility, maximum performance. Only an idiot would buy amd gpus this day and age.

zero, they are too big and dominant already. they can just dump/buy/whatever any new competitor.

>spent money for gifts during xmas
>decide to save up for new gpu/new year
>buttcoin happened

darnit

got mine brand new for 120€. Agree that it's a waiting card, didn't feel like much of an upgrade from my 590Ti but at least it's not legacy

GPUs are getting too good, we are getting way better price/performance than ever before (if not for miners).

They will slow down the release cycle and the new cards will likely be more expensive but they will keep selling older cards at current price.

They know once they release a card capable of an easy 4k 60fps with most games, then why the fuck would most people buy anything else for the next 10-15 years? 8k is overkill, and 120fps is definitely luxury and can be done with just lowering settings if need be.

Thats my face now but I didnt buy any gpu and save the money because games suck right now anyways.

I just want better compute cards. just when all the gpu frameworks and FFIs start coming out this bullshit happens.

ffs I'll be stuck on CPU forever.

maximum nonfree and minimal freedom as well.

>maximum nonfree and minimal freedom
as if these feel good features affects purchasing decision at all. Even linux users prefer nvidia's proprietary drivers because it gets the job done. Who cares if drivers are open sourced if performance suffer a 50% penalty. Electricity certainly isn't free.

You better have 120Hz+ or 1080p+, I don't know why the fuck you faggots need these cards when a 290 or 970 still serves you fine. What, you play AAA unoptimized garbage?

>Even linux users prefer nvidia's proprietary drivers
Nah, AMD drivers aren't shit anymore and are open. The very few times I've had problems with booting were Nvidia proprietary driver related. I will admit that their drivers are still the best performing overall, but AMD's alternative can still fill the niche of Linux gaming.

Have you ever done any useful tasks with your GPU? (No, cryptoshit isn't useful).

Things like photogrametry will absolutely consume all of your graphics card's resources.
Trying to reconstruct an object from ~150 photos can take upwards of an hour on my RX480.

1440p

I forgot Sup Forums still existed in this board.

>tech youtubers read wccftech rumor article
>they stress it's wccftech
>article turns out to be false
>tech youtubers get butthurt

just start boycotting wccftech then you fucking nibblords

>gathered "enough" disposable income at the worst time possible
>will have to use Radeon HD5450 for several years

Who cares, unless you are mining bitcoins you can’t afford a GPU anymore.

>Nvidia release their newest GPU
>Miner buy it all immeditialy

>mfw i bought an hd5450 4 months because i needed a cheap video adaptor
>It cost me 25 euros used
Fuck me, for the same price 4 years ago i buyed an hd 6850.

>tfw bought 1080 on November
>Another gpu price hike occured due to miners
>But but wait for Volta!!!
>Wait for the prices to come down!!
Waitfags BTFO

>running a dirt cheap RX 470
>it runs games just fine at 1080p@60hz and even handles my 2k@90hz VR headset with no problem

I mean, is there even a reason to rush the next generation? It's not like 4k 120hz monitors have a significant market presence yet. Looking at the Steam hardware statistics, only 0.49% of users even have a 4k display and it's guaranteed that essentially all of those are 60hz. I can't imagine the 1080/1080 Ti performance is a limiting factor here for the vast, vast majority of users.

Or is it just that people want the GTX 2060 for their budget rigs rather than worrying about the highest end enthusiast builds?

I paid $580 for a Unbranded 1080 FE. Seems like it serves its purpose.