/classical/ - Masses Edition

Post some underrated masses

youtube.com/watch?v=TGCUPyrk4Eg
youtube.com/watch?v=22SGB-6H_I4

Probably outdated links:

>General folder. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes Bach and Mozart subfolders
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Uwf1SSCufU
youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs
youtube.com/watch?v=qTJATPRp8a0
youtube.com/watch?v=1yyBP3t7g90
youtube.com/watch?v=t9iAsTUIyzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=e1j_K752Wac
youtube.com/watch?v=ofciLQT2EmE
youtube.com/watch?v=JFIGoB7rK70
youtube.com/watch?v=r74UZeetxXw
musescore.com/user/2355066/scores/2130926
vimeo.com/113312622
youtube.com/watch?v=i_sCuMkbN7g
soundcloud.com/spookypianostuff/nocturne
youtube.com/watch?v=X5Y9_GnQDqo
youtube.com/watch?v=a0uDa-UtFsE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lorenzo Perosi
youtube.com/watch?v=6Uwf1SSCufU

I'm listening to this right now and, Damn!, it's incredibly fun.

So, what's your favorite work of bombastic music, /classical/?

>Listening to music for "fun"

mozart's credo mass k.257 is far more underrated and absolutely wonderful.

stravinksy's mass is underrated as well. great stuff !!

What is the name of the music at the beginning of this video?

youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs

I remember the cover of a copy of this music I used to own ,but I can't actually remember the name.

What are Shostakovich's best musical jokes?

his pieces

It's just an orchestrated version of Liszt's second Hungarian Rhapsody. It's one of the bigger meme pieces.

mem

What are you composing?

a fart. Here it is

Proof Mozart is still alive

>This autismo being said in a /classical/ general

you had to give him attention didn't you? fucktard

way to go, imbecile

tfw recording starts with 4 minute applause

Probably the anonymous D'ung aultre amer mass from the late 1470s. Wegman wrote an article nearly 30 years ago discussing how radical it was and pleaded for a recording. Don't think anyone has listened to him so far.

>symphony recording has four minutes of applause tacked to the end of it for absolutely no reason

A Fugue. Finished second exposition last night

I seem to pretty much only write fugues these days. Soundcloud is literally fugue, fugue, fugue, fugue, ad nasum

whats a good recording of bach's 1068?

>its a poly fugue
gross. obligatory shoo poly

string trio

I've listened to all of Beethoven's piano sonatas and I really enjoyed it, so who's the next composer with lots of piano sonatas I should listen to?

Try some Bach suites

youtube.com/watch?v=qTJATPRp8a0

Poly put your trip back on.

>piano sonatas
*buzzer of failure sounds*

Scarlatti harpsichord sonatas are based as fuck though, mandatory listening.

>scarlatti didn't write for piano
I love this meme.

What key?

They're harpsichord sonatas. Any person with average intelligence can tell that from the ornamentation and lack of dynamic indications

>They're harpsichord sonatas.
Care to point out where it says "harpsichord" on the Parma or Venice manuscripts where the sonatas are transmitted? Protip: you can't

>Any person with average intelligence can tell that from the ornamentation and lack of dynamic indications
>piano can't have ornaments
>dynamic indications
Music for double manual harpischords have forte and piano articulation markings, are those works composed for the piano now?

Also there are some highly incharacteristic idioms for harpsichord that Scarlatti indulges, not the least of which are extremely frequent occurences of parallel octaves. Ever since Sheveloff suggested the viability of early pianos, backed by Sutherland, a plethora of scholars have came forward and supported the theory (Pascual, Pollens, Tagliavini, Badura-Skoda, Pagano, Puyana). It is ignorance of the worst kind to just dismiss every single sonata as being written for the harpsichord.

Obviously the manual indications are the exception for dynamics in harpsichord scores. The majority of them were written on and for harpsichord. They're keyboard sonatas, and the main keyboard (apart from the organ) at the time was the harpsichord. So therefor its most accurate to play and listen to them on harpsichord. Its not rocket science.

What is the best way to get into classical

yeah, I guess die kunst was written for cembalo too :)

And of course, the question at the end is, does it matter? It's important to remember that from what seems to us like a muddle of different instruments, makes, ranges and special devices must coexisted for most of the eighteenth century. The various instruments were not necessarily as distinct in sonority as we might imagine today, that they were in many cases 'tolerably similar'. It's also ridiculous to propose that a composer with an imagination as fertile as Scarlatti, surrounded by keyboard instruments as diverse as chamber organs, clavichords, harpsichords and pianos of all different builds, to restrict his composition and playing to one type. Not to mention his good friend at the court, Farinelli, had a fondness for pianos which the royal family shared. And even if they were composed for harpsichord:
>The implications of this organological ‘indifference’ have not really been followed up in the literature. Even if one prefers the notion of discrete groups of sonatas fordifferent instruments, it is difficult to imagine any keyboard composer, including Scarlatti, schizophrenically conceiving first one sonata or group of sonatas for oneinstrument, then a second for another, especially when his larger style remains seemingly immune to such proposed shifts. And there is a larger question of composingprinciple: it is not within the gift of the composer to control the precise sound qualities of a performance.

look up classical music you already know, listen to more of what you enjoy

It was written for a brass quartet you fucking plebeian

atonal, it's 2016

>The majority of them were written on and for harpsichord.
Repeating an empty claim without evidence won't make it more convincing.

>and the main keyboard (apart from the organ) at the time was the harpsichord
And the piano, which have been steadily doing its rounds since it was invented at the onset of the 18th century, which Scarlatti have acquainted with as early as 1702, and again at 1705. And the diffusion of Cristofori's instrument eerily coincide with the geographical progression of Scarlatti's career, hmmmm

>So therefor its most accurate to play and listen to them on harpsichord
No it isn't, see

What are your favorite solo string instrument works?

listen to oasis

Paganini 24 caprices

youtube.com/watch?v=1yyBP3t7g90
Agreed

Is it just me or is there a big void, from baroque to impressionism, for french composers? Outside of a few well known romantic composers it feels like there's nothing french at all. Same with italians if you look at anything outside of opera.

1001 - 1006

>stravinksy's mass is underrated as well.

The Credo is amazing, youtube.com/watch?v=t9iAsTUIyzQ

I think its better than any Mozart sacred music

further proof

It was

pic related

Atonal is so 1950s though. Its all about post-tonal now.

that's not a thing and you are a nigger

perhaps you should learn more about music before assuming what it is or isn't?

Post-tonal is all about using mostly atonal devices, but subverting the listeners expectations with tonal chords or lines.

Its like "everyone is used to atonal music, so lets fuck with them"

nah you're thinking post-minimalism. that and spectralism are more of the new things

not really. see Spectralism was big in the 80s and 90s.

There aren't really any big "movements" anymore in classical music. Everyone just does their own thing. The 20th century really was the birth of individualism in music.

There is no such thing as atonality.

>atonal
So, shit. Thanks.

will we ever see a return from individualism to something more similar to composers during the baroque-romantic periods? Im really not a fan of much classical music after the romantic era

well if you want to split hairs, maybe. most of the material is made of pitches, (or "tones") it just lacks a key center.

I doubt it. You should try some Rautavaara piano concerti or symphonies. Or Martinů symphonies. Both great 20th century composers in a kind-of-late-romantic style.

These for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=e1j_K752Wac
youtube.com/watch?v=ofciLQT2EmE
youtube.com/watch?v=JFIGoB7rK70

examples?

Cherubini's choral works are my favorite.

Mass in G for the Coronation of Louis XVIII
youtube.com/watch?v=r74UZeetxXw

musescore.com/user/2355066/scores/2130926
What do you think of this contemporary classical piece?

by being an intellectual

watch this

vimeo.com/113312622

some atonal garbage on piano that I only write when I drunk and stop when I pass out.

What should you always remember when writing a concerto?

Which instrument the concerto is for. I almost invariably end up writing a violin or horn concerto in the middle of writing a piano concerto because I usually forget that there is a piano in the concerto and hence the piano part becomes a trumpet or a viola or any number of other instruments, just not a piano. One time I tried to write a cello concerto and I ended up writing a concerto for strings percussion and celesta

Piano

well then, the pupil has become the master.

So you don't have anything to tell me

A concerto should be a dialog between the soloist and the orchestra. At least thats what concerti used to be like, nowadays a concerto can be whatever you like. I guess you should remember the capabilities of the performer you're writing for: what they will be able to play comfortably and also sound great and virtuosic playing.

dude, don't fuck with Bartok

dont tick with the tok

youtube.com/watch?v=i_sCuMkbN7g

Symphony 9 makes me feel good inside

Can't stop listening to L'ORFEO

which composer?

overrated

also
>whitewashing African culture by imposing Western forms on it in an attempt to make it more palatable to Western audiences

disgusting

What is the best Beethoven?

I meant the best conductor.

schnittke's first symphony (the stockholm philharmonic recording) has seven

soundcloud.com/spookypianostuff/nocturne

Shamelessly posting this again.

EXTREMELY underrated post.

Has anyone noticed that Germans have no sense of melody? Apart from Mozart - who was Austrian anyway - all German composers approach melody as an amorphous string of notes/chords that resolve and loop at some point in time but never coalesce into anything resembling a shape, apart from tiresome ascend-descent ostinatos.

And when they do happen to stumble upon a true melody - like Beethoven's 14th sonata - they seem to be at a loss and confine it to a simplistic bagatelle-like composition.

Why are Germans such a mess?

>post some underrated masses
Okay. This one is one of my favorites.
youtube.com/watch?v=X5Y9_GnQDqo

[CONTROVERSIAL OPINION]

Bernstein did bombastic music well.
youtube.com/watch?v=a0uDa-UtFsE

Bump

beethoven couldn't into melody. brahms was a master melodist though.

>muh tunefulness

Grow up.

>second movement of the 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th symphonies
>cavatina
>alla danza tedesca
Keep your forked tongue between your teeth

I'll keep my forked tongue between your mom's briny labia.

>i like music
>i should grow up
>/classical/ - two-thousand-and-sixteen
>HeyFaggotAreYouEnjoyingYourMusic.png