/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Sticky Wiki wiki.installgentoo.com
Search ddg.gg/lite

Please bump responsibly.

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@TarunChinmai/sharing-internet-connection-from-a-linux-machine-over-ethernet-a5cbbd775a4f
help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_date_and_time_functions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation
github.com/Miegl/PiFmAdv
stackoverflow.com/questions/10596745/fetching-youtube-video-title-from-known-video-id?noredirect=1&lq=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

alright

Can I chain together devices using usb tethering for internet i.e
phoneusbdevice1usbdevice2
would both devices get internet via the phone? and could I SSH into both the devices?

Have you ever actually USED usb internet tethering? You'll be lucky if you can get one of those connections to work, let alone both.

I've used it on one device, any better wired alternative to give internet to two devices from my phone?

Ethernet to second device.

Which one is more lightweight: XFCE or Mate?

wait so just usb c to a split-er then to ethernet?

I have a 1TB WD blue, and I want to get another hard drive for media use, would a 4gb WD blue be okay?

How do you clean your screen/monitor?
With water or a solution?

*4TB

No. Very no.

Do the normal tethering thing to the first PC, then run an ethernet cable from it to the second one.

ok thanks, both devices are running linux will it need any configuring or will it be autopilot?

Keyword is Internet Connection Sharing

medium.com/@TarunChinmai/sharing-internet-connection-from-a-linux-machine-over-ethernet-a5cbbd775a4f

help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing

nice one lad, seriously helped a ton

What's the best image viewer for Windows 10? The default takes like 5 seconds to launch and show my image.

Xnview or honeyview

How do you authenticate a pass from a bookmarklet? Adding the do_login stuff to the url just gives the blank fields error.

Is there a name for the spot between a dick and its balls?

frenulum i think

Nah, that's at the top of the penis. It's covered if you have a foreskin.

how do you get time as an int value in c

My first 9-5 programming job. Why am I so goddamn tired after work? I just want to sleep after getting home. Does it get better once I get used to it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_date_and_time_functions

If its physical exhaustion, then exercise and eat more.

If its a mental exhaustion, then eat more. Your brain is using lots of glucose/energy.

Calculate how much you currently eat vs how much you weigh. Find an optimal diet.

I have a case with an HD audio front panel connector and I want to use it with a motherboard that has AC'97 audio. Any way I could modify it to work?

Can anyone recommend a modem for me?

I pay for Comcast 200 Mbps down.

>Comcast
My condolences.

One of the many troubles of living in Baltimore City: Comcast cable, Verizon DSL or satellite internet.

Why does qbittorrent stall so fucking much?

>Comcast and Verizon
That sucks.

Any good ways of keeping a 2 in 1 propped at an angle?

How does game seeds work? Like apparently some games with a lot of rolls in them have a seed that's unique to the level or whatever and determine the outcomes of everything and if you try the same action over again it will be the same because the seed is the same right?

So are you telling me in xcom the game has already determined every single units chance of firing on every other enemy unit from every position and every position they might be? That seems like it would be into the zillions. So it must work differently, right?

Depends. Most likely not autopilot

It would just randomly generate as the shot is being taken, it's not going to store every possiblity. The random seed would insure that the "randomness" is the same every time the level is loaded up

So what is the seed then? Like you can enter numbers or an ID or some shit and even other people can use it right?

What the seed is, is usually determined by implementation of the random function. Random on a computer is not truly "random", just as close of an approximation that a developer can create.
For example in C you can set the random seed using srand(any int here) or in Java you can set the seed when you create a Random object also using an int. (I understand this is a bit technical)

You can read more about it here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation

Turning a laptop like that is actually a comfy way to read documents.

What's the best/easiest way to rip a bunch of images from a website?

Iguess we might be getting lost in translation here because you understand and I don't. I understand what a random number generator is and I get that it's not truly random but so close it's basically not an issue for humans.

But I don't get how you can have a string of numbers that represents EVERY action/event/environment design in a game, and before you even load it you can share with a friend and get the same shit.

I'm a faggot who stuck to the Firefox 28 meme for years, only now I can't view most github stuff and my mail client of choice defaults to a hideous mode. Assuming I'm okay on the security front, which FF version should I update to if I only care about preserving functionality (Greasemonkey mostly, which for some reason didn't work when I tried out Waterfox).

>EVERY action/event/environment design in a game
It dosent account for "actions" such as user actions or npc actions. It accounts for the environment, which is generated by a computer, and the things its spawns have things it can do.
For example minecraft, you can get a seed and have it be replicated infinity because the seed has spawn information and each of those blocks have information related to them(water and lava spawn causes cobble next to each other) this is determined when the entity is spawned, thats how the seed is able to determine so many things, because it is just math

wget

I have video tearing on arch. This seems to happen on my nvidia and intel outputs, different WMs, different DMs, open and closed nvidia drivers, compositor or not. What fucking do?

Trying to download something from MEGA and its telling me I have to download their standalone "app" because Vivaldi doesn't have enough of a buffer or something. What the fug?

Anybody here have a properly working ngnix config that works with certbot? preferably have some subdomain reverse proxy

certbot just shits itself

Just click and drag the image to a folder.

What's a computah?

Save the complete webpage.

We wuz engineers n shiet.

Cue Tools won't split a few files I have because they're "not Red Book PCM." What in the fuck does that mean?

Red Book is the encoding standard for audio CDs - it states that audio has to be 16-bit, 44.1kHz sample rate in order to conform. Are your files higher bit depth or higher sampling rate?

I've recently got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo), and the first thing I did was factory reset it. When it asked me to name the device, I put a placeholder name thinking I could change it later, which I could. BUT now whenever I hook it up to the computer, the automatic popup shows the placeholder name still, but in windows itself it has the new name.
Any way I can fix this, short of resetting it again?

Well I guess they're not then. Is this something I can find a converter for?

Have you tried 52 ESR?

Is the Yandex (aka gay bootleg russian google) browser any good?

How do I pulse width modulate a pin on my pc to 100mhz?

I want to do this
github.com/Miegl/PiFmAdv

but with my pc

whats an alternative to gyazo and puush that will let me capture/upload videos with sound? a friend of mine has puush and told me it can capture audio, but new user registration is closed so i cant DL it.

Fully proprietary

ffmpeg
obs

My second HDD that I use for meme storage is taking forever to be usable upon startup now. Pic related is what I get and then it would randomly fix itself after like 30 minutes.

How can I fix this? Is this a sign that my HDD is about to be permanently kill and should I make a backup of the files on my main HDD?

Run smart and post results.
Sounds like its dying

It's one of the options I was considering. Real quick (and probably real stupid) question before I install it though; this won't wipe my old version in case I need it doesn't work out, right?

Anybody know the best way to restore an oleophobic coating to a phone screen?

Like this?

Also after I made the first post, the HDD is now working again. Like I said it's very weird, won't work when I turn on the computer but 30 minutes or so goes by and its working just fine.

Get crystaldisk and post a screenshot of the drive assessment

Gonna get a lot of hatred for this but here we go:

Should i buy a droplet on digital ocean and install a minecraft server there? Thinking about using just Ubuntu or Debian to get going. I can change the amount of memory, storage, and cpu power to scale with the amount of players. Therefore i could get a massive minecraft server up and running for everyone to play on. Yes it's fucking minecraft. I like minecraft.

Here goes

Back it up and get a new drive

A physical realization of a Turing machine with limited memory.

kms

Where can i get find beginners guide to web graphics and creating dynamically generated visualisations? I know what a canvas is and the basics of js, but I don't even know what to search for here.

Why does slapping technology make it work

Does HTTP/S always use the World Wide Web? Is there something other than WWW that one can use hypertext on?

It kajiggers loose connections

sure

Audacity will do that if you need it, and it'll also let you split the files visually without changing their quality settings so you can preserve them if they have a higher bit depth/sample rate. If you're creating a cue sheet to burn to CD you'll need all your files to be 16/44.1 though.

Dont worry I like minecraft too, Its a nostalgia thing for me. I lost my damn password though so Im pretty sure Im going to have to buy a new one FML.

Why the fuck is it when I download this image I can't repost it on Sup Forums because it says the filsize is over 4mb, and indeed, the file is, even though the file itself is 3.6 mb on Sup Forums and had to be small enough to be posted to begin with?

Why won’t this work? How can I get video out from an android?

Depends on where you're trying to upload it - I believe different boards have different file size limits.

Taint

No

meaning it's probably a clone of chromium with an illegal license change, and some visual mods

Wrong side of the balls.

On Sup Forums, but both Sup Forums and /his/'s filesize limit is 4mb. The problem is when I save the image itt's larger then the image as it was originally uploaded for some wierd reason

have a txt with youtube links
how to use this
stackoverflow.com/questions/10596745/fetching-youtube-video-title-from-known-video-id?noredirect=1&lq=1
in a shell script[?] to fetch their titles fast?

Yes

If you're saving it to a phone it might be saving it as a PNG and increasing the filesize.

I'm not, i'm on a laptop and it's still being saved as a jpg

How do I block win10 updates. I have searched through google and done what the sites have said but I still get prompted to update every time I go to restart my computer (or it will just auto-restart). Running Win10 64 (1709)

if you remember your old email just reset it on the site

where do people get there vidya and regular torrents these days, is kat still king or is that dead because of the feds.

you can literally just host it yourself on your own computer you absolute fucking retarded BRAINLET

Even after restoring all file association back to default .ISO files still show up as POWERISO type files. Any idea how to unfuck this?

botnet 10 by the way

any answers

So as you suggested, I switched to 52 ESR, and it's working pretty great. Only trouble is I have a new problem: all my fonts/text look like they've shrunk by around ten percent. Do I need to start messing with settings?

Try open with: windows explorer.

Right click a *.iso file, make sure "Opens With" is set to Windows Explorer.

What's the free photo software that has a feature where it builds a map kind of like WinDirStat except it groups the pictures by color or similarity? I can't find it anywhere