What computer should I buy for using java (Idea , Netbeans) and c++ (qt,codeblocks)

What computer should I buy for using java (Idea , Netbeans) and c++ (qt,codeblocks).

Other urls found in this thread:

saintlad.com/install-macos-sierra-in-virtualbox-on-windows-10/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>using
you mean making?

>using Java.

Pajeet my son

I mean using jdk

A ThinkPad.
Use Linux.

should I get an i7 and 16 GBs of ram?

In this day and age you really need an i9 with 32g

A machine that runs the target OS that your program will be used on primarily.

For Java, notably Netbeans, GUI components have different metrics on different OSes. This can cause a meticulously designed Java GUI that looks beautiful on one OS to look like a rotten mess on another, particularly when you use Netbeans' auto layouts.

For C++, you're going to be compiling and debugging most on that OS, so you'll have the easiest time making working builds for it. So again you should use the OS your program will be used on the most.

i7 only if you're going to be building fuckhuge projects. An i3 will probably be fine for most stuff.

16 GB only if you're going to be using VMs to build and test on different OSes. You could run MacOS, Linux and Windows all at the same time that way, so you can test builds on all of them.

I sometimes build a Qt-based work project in a VM on my crappy laptop with a Celeron and 4 GB RAM. It works, it just takes about 2-3 times as long as on my i7.

Thank you dude. I might be looking for some used lenovo thinkpads.

I use my 2017 MacBook Pro i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage for this kind of thing and it works fine.

The fans kick in sometimes though. Not sure why the fuck Apple don't give us a 13" quad core CPU option.

I also have a ThinkPad X230 and even that is pretty ok with most of the Java work i do. Trackpad sucks but so you'll probably want a mouse.

What do you develop with?

>You could run MacOS, Linux and Windows all at the same time that way
As a note, you can virtualize macOS on Linux or Windows just fine. It's slightly trickier than virtualizing Linux or Windows since you have to either remove a DRM module or use some commands to get Virtualbox to put some keys in the virtual SMC. See saintlad.com/install-macos-sierra-in-virtualbox-on-windows-10/

Also consider Dell Latitude or Precision, or HP Elitebook. They're business class machines, meaning they're built roughly as well as Thinkpads, and apart from some modern models with soldered RAM are meant to be easily serviced. The downside is you get either integrated graphics only or a low end dedicated GPU -- except for Precision which often comes with something nicer or even a Quadro since it's meant as a mobile workstation for things like CAD.

>The fans kick in sometimes though. Not sure why the fuck Apple don't give us a 13" quad core CPU option.
Maybe they couldn't get enough cooling into a 13" laptop so the quad core CPU wouldn't just throttle all the time.

What do you think about the new lenovo t480s?

>The fans kick in sometimes though. Not sure why the fuck Apple don't give us a 13" quad core CPU option.
Because Macs already overheat and throttle to $300 Walmart tier laptop performance.

>codeblocks

grandpa, stop posting

ahhah lol

Whichever one you want

don't post my photos pls

Eh, it's a fine IDE for learning to code and doing small-medium projects in.

If you're buying new, it's going to cost pretty much. With Thinkpads you're paying for part and build quality so they're pricier than a lot of other laptops. See if you can find a used or refurb one on ebay, or a t470s.
>CPU
I'd probably aim for i5 or i3. i7 is more than you need on a laptop.
>MX150 GPU
I think this is a mobile GT1030, so very basic GPU but still a few steps up from the GT730M in my T440p. It's optional and may be nice depending. Otherwise you get just Intel UHD which is pretty good these days. If you get the GPU option, you still have Intel UHD, with the Nvidia one in an Optimus configuration.
>webcam with "ThinkShutter"
Interesting, no more need for tape if you want privacy.
>display
Get the FHD or WQHD IPS option. I don't see much point in going above FHD on a 14" laptop, given how shit Windows is at DPI scaling. Touch is up to you, but not that important imo given it has a good trackpad and a trackpoint. Avoid the shitty 1366x768 TN option like the plague.
>NOT soldered RAM
Seems it takes 2 standard DDR4 SODIMMs, so you can upgrade the RAM later if you want.
>dat battery life and light weight tho

Still, price is high. Look for refurb t480s or t470s on ebay. That's how I got my t440p back in 2014. I saved half off what the same specs would have cost new at the time, and it's held up great.

I've also seen some very old thinkpad e320. Btw thank you a lot for your reply

>thinkpad e320
That would be a fine computer for programming, if you don't mind it being heavy and bulky by today's standards. I would recommend putting an SSD in it though.