Does giving an album a 10/10 mean that every track on that album should be a ten? Pic related...

Does giving an album a 10/10 mean that every track on that album should be a ten? Pic related, I just can't see how this is a "perfect" release

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wkZ-dJXA
rapanalysis.com/2014/05/rap-analysis-kanye-west-monster.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Best hiphop album made this decade

the whole is more than the sum of its parts user.

not that i believe 10/10 applies to that album

don't worry about it. you just don't get it

10/10 should be consistently mind blowing track to track. I think that's about an 8, which is still fuckin great

Watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wkZ-dJXA

Most Kanye Ive heard doesn't really seem any more complex or groundbreaking than the standard radio Top 40 garbage.
I guess lyrically he seems a little more intelligent but is that enough to warrant his insane praise, because the bar is so low for that genre?

Literally the only 10 tracks on this album are Devil In A New Dress and Dark Fantasy. Gorgeous and So Appalled are incredibly boring

while the album is not a 10/10, its all about what this guy said You're not evaluating the songs, you're evaluating a full piece.
In this case, hip hop has very low standards, and there was a HUGE priority for a "black empowerment" agenda back in the day, so the first mainstream hip hop album with a slight level of pretension by an artist who just happens to be in the public eye because of the Taylor Swift incident was obviusly going to be their pick for a "10".

Pitchfork inflate scores based on what they perceive as cultural significance.
They see MBDTF as a milestone in hip-hop - the mark of the new age of glammed-up pop-rap. I definitely agree, to some degree.
For pitchfork, the 'sum of its parts' doesn't simply mean whether the whole album is a good listen, it's whether it's also IMPORTANT.
Hence the 10.
But it doesn't really deserve a 10.
They gave it one anyway.

they take the number of tracks that are "good" on a record and divide by the number of total tracks. that's the "score." if all the tracks are good, they give it a 10. everyone knows this.

Are you a literal autist, if every track was "good" then the album would be a 1 not a 10 lmao

the first two tracks really suck but the rest is really good. i'd still rate it a 10 because the highs are so high.

It's a meme you dip

Let's get to the truth about this album
Dark fantasy starts of strong, then in the verses the beat is incredibly lazy, Kanye is kanye per usual. The chorus carries the track, beautifully I might add.

Then the album comes to a screeching halt with Gorgeous. All moment built in the previous dies in an instant with one of the least interesting loops in my memory. It doesn't stop either. It drags for 6 minutes of shit.

Power comes in and immediately restores all the energy, picking up where dark fantasy started.Great track.

All of the lights follow and is just as good.

Monster comes in. Cool little beat. Fits in the album. Nicki Minaj happens to deliver the most overrated verse of all time (hint: it's because critics told you to like it) A decent song

So Appalled is incredible. Great production, Swizz's hook is a little clunky but still cool and everyone does their part on this track. Stellar verses.

Devil in a new dress is incredible too. Ross delivers an off topic verse.

Runaway. Great song.

Hell of a life. Great song.

Blame Game. bretty good song.

Lost in the world. Ehhh, my memory says I wasn't too fond of this song. Not very memorable. The end kind of limps out.

I'd say it's 7.5 to an 8.

Blame Game alone should have subtracted at least a tenth of a point.

>doesn't like gorgeous
Opinion disregarded

>likes a 10 second guitar riff played for 6 minutes

opinion disregarded

MBDTF is such an overrated album. It's not bad or anything, but I can't see any serious critic giving it anything over a 7/10.

Such an original opinion

>I'm a snowflake
>You agree with the majority? Opinion discarded

That doesn't make it wrong.

Didn't say any of that. Just saying it must have taken you hours think of a post that shares the exact the same opinion Sup Forums has had about this album since the p4k review. Really insightful

I mean, it's purely a philosophical argument, but I don't think there should be any albums that are 10/10, because that is literally a perfect score, and there are no perfect albums. By calling mbdtf a 10, they are basically saying that the human race has not created, and will never create a better album. That's horse shit.

7/11 = .77 = 7.7
11/11 = 1.0 = 10

p4k rating system breakdown:

> artist fits "indie" criteria
Score * 1.5

> artist is from US
score + 2.0

> artist is black
score * 2

> artist sold shitloads of records
Position in this year's top chart

But that argument falls apart if they have multiple 10s which they do

Carles, way ahead of his time.

>7/11 = .77
Holy shit man, you must be over 18 to post here, learn some basic math

i remember coming to /mu for the first time and having a laugh at how shit mucore is.

i remember hearing the album and thinking nothing special of it. its like a 6

>man steals other people's music and then puts a generic drumbeat with shitty lyrics over it
>10/10

why are you people so stupid?

Why are you so mean? ;_;

user...

>mu-core
>mediocre
wew

Thank you for giving So Appalled the credit it deserves.

honestly idk why p4k gave that album a 10. they bullied it in the actual review

Most of his praise comes not only from his lyrics, but from his production. Kanye has popularized so many things production-wise that it's hard to count them.

this is just some good opinions and some bad opinions
>likes all of the lights
>likes blame game
>hates lost in the world, best track

>Most of his praise comes not only from his lyrics, but from his production
Then how come some of the songs, especially Monster, sound so compressed/flat?

ehh i agree with this... when will this album stopped being praised as highly as it is. its good but not amazing

>pitchfork giving a cuck album cover 10/10
no surprise there...

It isn't a perfect release, and even portions of songs on it aren't perfect which is why reading pitchfork is bad for your brain. Giving anything a 10/10 is fucking retarded on it's own, but pitchfork is the worst offender of high ratings. Most albums they give 9's should be 6's or 7's. It's like people have completely forgotten the 5 is average on the 1-10 scale.

Giving numbered ratings at all is pretty retarded concept anyway.

See this: rapanalysis.com/2014/05/rap-analysis-kanye-west-monster.html

I see no white woman on that cover, sounds like you're obsessed with that fetish

fuck you cameron

Chance of any of that going through kanye's head while producing monster: 0%

>13 songs
>not even half are good
>10/10

You plebians should stop rating albums and start rating songs individually.

it's a 10 because they paid pitchfork

It's a metaphor for whites being angels and blacks being degenerate Devils just look at the blatant symbolism in it

>Most Kanye Ive heard doesn't really seem any more complex or groundbreaking than the standard radio Top 40 garbage.
Maybe that's because Kanye literally is standard radio Top 40 garbage.

this makes no fucking sense
you know very little about the hip hop canon

wasnt this album put on the mu essentials as a troll back in the day?

if you're going to shit post and edge bait why are you in the thread don't you get tired of it?

Go jerk off to the new radioplay album please.

pabstdrew?

WHO WILL SURVIVE IN AMERICA followed by applause is one of the all time best endings to an album

>Implying that radiohead fans aren't nearly identical to Kanye fans.

you're retarded

It's just aesthetics, people try to measure the cultural impact even if that means ignoring the music itself.

At the end of the day, most of the instant 10/10s will be forgotten and time will unveil those albums who actually had a timeless impact, kinda what happened with Donuts.

truly hope that whoever spent their time writing all that ended their life

>being mindblown by jay-z ver in monster

fucking pleb.

yes

lol? it's the truth dude.

Every song is a 10 apart from AOTL and Blame Game, lol at the plebs hating on gorgeous, monster and so appalled obviously they're a filter for Sup Forums
Like seriously gorgeous is fucking amazing pay attention to what the song is actually saying

Great album but Yeezus deserved 10/10 over this. I'm convinced they would have if they didn't already give MBDTF a 10

>Gorgeous
>boring
'No'

masterpiece

I think the album is a 10 but you make some good points.

Dark Fantasy is a pretty weak track.

Gorgeous I thought used a pretty repetitive, basic loop only to put the spotlight on the lyrics, which were some of the best on the album Imo.

Also Nikki's verse stood out to me the most the first time I heard it. Overall it's an overrated verse but she steals the show on that track.

>as a troll

sorry to break it to you, but Sup Forums suck hiphop dick since forever and apparently kanye is more talented than mozart

Nah!

Kanye is more talented than Mozart.

Name me 5 fire Mozart tracks.