"...was a mistake."

What things in technology do you view to be a huge mistake?

No ironic "GUIs/the web was a mistake," just real ones.

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2018/03/01/lg-showed-off-its-next-android-flagship-behind-closed-doors-at-mwc/amp/
theverge.com/2018/2/27/17057582/asus-zenfone-5-price-release-date-lite-mwc-2018
thenextweb.com/mobile/2018/02/28/oneplus-6-leak-shows-glass-back-iphone-like-notch/
engadget.com/2018/03/01/leaked-huawei-p20-lite-notch-mid-range-phones/
vivo.com/en/about-vivo/news/apex2018
gsmarena.com/vivos_apex_concept_phone_said_to_get_official_announcement_event_on_march_5-news-29854.php
threadreaderapp.com/thread/927593460642615296.html
trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2013-01-01 2018-03-02&q=screen to body ratio
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Notch.

LG: venturebeat.com/2018/03/01/lg-showed-off-its-next-android-flagship-behind-closed-doors-at-mwc/amp/

Asus: theverge.com/2018/2/27/17057582/asus-zenfone-5-price-release-date-lite-mwc-2018

Oneplus: thenextweb.com/mobile/2018/02/28/oneplus-6-leak-shows-glass-back-iphone-like-notch/

Huawei: engadget.com/2018/03/01/leaked-huawei-p20-lite-notch-mid-range-phones/

NOTCHED!

Linux.
It's a shitty, dated kernel that became popular during the dot com bubble.

Electron, a few years ago i tinkered with node-webkit and thought it was really neat and full of potential but still far too heavy for anything serious. Webdevs didn't share that opinion and went balls deep when github released atom shell.

Fake af but I'd like to have one of this.

I really hate micro usb ports, it's like they were purposefully designed to break in three month

>be retard
>things breaks
WOW

Doesn't happen with USBC ports tho. Micro ports lack angular enforcement, something critical with portable things.

Well, I agree that Type-C is better. Still, I've never had any problem with Micro USB.

Linux. We should have been waiting for Hurd.

>unironically had hopes for Turd

absolutely this

Codes of Conduct

16:9 monitors, they are a fucking cancer and have taken over the market
You can't buy a 16:10 monitor for a good price anymore even if it's the superior choice

The fact that we're using decimal as a basis for everything since forever rather than octal or hex. Life would be easier if every digit was exactly 3 or 4 bits.

>Fake
Or is it?
vivo.com/en/about-vivo/news/apex2018
gsmarena.com/vivos_apex_concept_phone_said_to_get_official_announcement_event_on_march_5-news-29854.php

Fucking this

/thread
Only fags like CoC(k)s

Look at your hands, retard.

Proprietary Software

null-terminated strings

GUIs were unironically a mistake.
The Web isn't, but Web scripting in general definitely is.

Base 12 is superior

javascript was a mistake.

>they want me to starve

Smartphones

>GUIs were unironically a mistake.

How so? And no "normies" is not a reason.

The only reason computers improved at such a breakneck speed is because of how huge the market is, GUI is largely the reason why it got big.

I also wish i could live in some dystopian cyberpunk world where the web is all white monospace on black CRT but you can't ignore the good it has done for humankind.

The problem is that the Internet is designed to profit to companies, not users.

The management forcing employees to be constantly available has derived into citizens paying their taxes online, and students accepting the Facebook TOS because everyone already communicates there.

Smartphones are not a bug, they're a feature. Facebook is not a bug, it's a feature.

>good
Interfaces are worse now than they were when everyone still used monochrome CRTs.

Here's a great rant about it: threadreaderapp.com/thread/927593460642615296.html

>you can't ignore the good it has done for humankind.

Do people still buy this 90's web punditry?

Interesting that he used shop POS to highlight his point since nearly all POS here is now touch screen and fucking sucks donkey cock.

>that guy's youtube channel

You come here, don't you, rant-writer?

all I can think of for now, in no particular order

myspace
facebook
smartphones
youtube comments
Sup Forums
cryptocurrency
windows vista
metro
GPS
dmca/riaa/mpaa
the linux kernel
management engine
iot

I know nothing of the guy, just something I saved that fefe linked once.

oh, and connecting the financial system and critical infrastructure to a hackable medium

The web itself wasn't a mistake, but putting active content on it was. It was a mistake in the 90s with Java, it was a mistake in the 2000s with Flash, and its a mistake here in the 2010s with Javascript.

>>youtube comments
nah, the mistake wasn't comments, its the whole concept of video as a medium.

and likes

>GNU
>HTML5
>Windows 10
>FaceBook, Reddit, Sup Forums

Han unification

why html5?

the alternative is to keep using flash and java, which is way worse

Fuck you Windows 10 is fantastic.

>html5
>wanting to get back in flash era
die

Nah it does, I've the pixel and my port has been slowly going bad, my charging cable is starting the whole be at a right angle to charge thing. I've switched the sides of the cable (it's a C to C) and it's still doing it

I miss the flash era.
My old weak pc could run fancy flash shit without problems.
My modern pc craps it's pants when it has to do simple HTML+JS animations.

Blame code artisans, not technology.

>invent screen to body ratio straight out of asshole
>comment and discuss screen to body ratio like it is relevant
>actually believe that screen to body ratio is actual important thing
>get notched because of expectations that cannot be fulfilled
Blame the sheep.
trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2013-01-01 2018-03-02&q=screen to body ratio

The technology is at fault.
Flash uses relatively simple vector graphics, that can be rendered quickly.
HTML with CSS has very complex layouting rules, that makes it horribly slow when you script animations into it.

> My old weak pc could run fancy flash shit without problems.
>My modern pc craps it's pants when it has to do simple HTML+JS animations.
for me it's the opposite
do you use Chrome by chance

Nope, firefox.

Not the guy you're talking to, but Firefox, even the new one, has terrible Javascript performance. I'm making a board game that has maybe 100 SVG hexagons and a few other shapes. Nothing complicated going on. Runs smooth in Chrome and is noticeably choppy in Firefox (my preferred browser). Dunno why.

what sites are you referring to specifically
Rarely, I get slowdowns on some bullshit sites overloaded with WebGL and shit like that
But Flash is guaranteed to take processing power no matter what

>that pic

m-muh dik

Why are you writing a game into a document parser and linker?

Take twitter for example.
Runs like dog shit, especially if you click on a picture and dumb lightbox style shit comes up.

Cross platform-ness. The only thing that's choppy is zooming on the board though.

>The problem is that the Internet is designed to profit to companies, not users.

But that wasn't how it was originally intended. I suppose that it's always the case though

>some non-Jew who has intelligence and doesn't rely on semantics invents something (in this case the internet)
>Jews see it can be made profitable
>Jews then completely monopolize it
>It doesn't matter what is ruined or how much it's ran into the ground as long as the shekels keep rolling in

It happens with anything (((they))) touch. Jews dominate the internet, newspapers/news, radio, movies, music, television etc and yet they played no role in establishing or inventing any of them.
They obviously have more spending power as far as advertising is concerned so if they do come up with something (Jewgle for example, even though it's just a search engine and they already existed) they can stack the odds in their favor that people will use it and enhance their (((monopoly))). If they can't compete with something because it's already well known they simply buy them out at a price where it seems an amazing deal (Jewtube for example), but then the buying price is (((magically))) dwarfed by the current (((value))) a couple of years later.
If neither work then they push on as much negative publicity as possible. How many fast food restaurants can you think of? How much negative attention does McDonald's get compared to Burger King? Which had a Jew create a (((documentary))) around how bad it was even though the entire thing was based on completely faulty (((evidence)))? Do you want to make a guess which fast food restaurant is Jewish owned and which isn't?

tl;dr the memes exist for a reason. Never, under any circumstances, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, never, trust a Jew.

I hate micro USB because it's fucking pointless and you could just use up a little more space on your phone and have a normal USB port that doesn't only work in a very specific position after a few months of use

>Cross platform-ness.
Isn't that the point of Java VM?

Go back to Sup Forums, brainlet

huh?… works absolutely fine for me, smooth and 0 slowdown, but I don't use Twitter much

Java.
Running an emulator that runs your code is absolutely retarded.

>The problem is that the Internet is designed to profit to companies, not users.
leftie, gtfo please. everything you own was designed to profit companies. let me know when you feed yourself on FOSS butter and GNU bread.

This. Without GUI-based OSes, computers would have still been only used by the military and corporations.

You'd have to pay for a lot of stuff you get for free now on the interwebs.

Anything Javascript in general is pretty bad desu. Interactive web pages were fun and all until the surge of unqualified developers made Web 2.0 happen. Sure, designers were happy because they could make pretty stuff, but the amount of electricity and nerves shitty JS apps have wasted is beyond imagining.

This

What's your alternative?

>GNU
Go suck corporate cock somewhere else
>HTML5
Would you prefer Flash or Java instead?
>Reddit, Sup Forums
Half mistakes...

Servers on a Unix-like os was a mistake. Lots of Unix features are very limiting today (everything is a file, retarded permissions system etc).

Pascal strings

Social media like Facebook, twitter were a mistake

It's your computer.

Works fine on mine which is midtier mobile cpu shit from 2012.

At the time it made a lot of sense, it wasn't just a case of having most devices run either x86 or ARM like it is today.

Technically yes, but browsers are far more universal than jre. Pretty much every normie has a browser and you pretty much can get the same results on all of them. Jre... well, most people I know don't even install it on their desktops these days, and you can't easily port a java desktop app to mobile.

Open Source. Literally opened the doors to cuck Free Software with "look, but don't touch", proprietary addons and botnet.

That's wrong.
A full blown modern browser runs on less platforms than a JRE.

/thread

SVG renderers are universally slow. I think it's just a case of browser manufacturers spending less on them than on regular HTML & stuff like canvas. It's a shame.

We're talking about a game here. The market here is people with gui based systems - desktops and phones or whatever. Here "more" means - more devices in this class, not more platforms.

Source?

Board game guy here again. The web browser has another advantage that I forgot to mention, which is that no installation is required.

Even if 80% of people have Java on their computers, Java Applets in the web browser is no longer a thing, or I'd use that like the old Yahoo! Chess platform did. Nowadays it's all web based like lichess.

I'm actually getting rid of highlight filters to make it a bit more performant, but I think the zoom choppiness is here to stay (happens in Google Maps as well).

It also helped making free software more popular to normies.

harder to automate is my biggest complaint

Yeah I considered Canvas because I've used it in the past for a non-boardgame project, but SVG is more flexible and allows easy click events for shapes. In my game I have some stat info for each piece, I suppose I could rasterize each piece and there'd be less stuff going on, but it would make everything less flexible.

You have JREs even on old featurephones and 68k Amigas. Modern browsers can only dream of running on those.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have four different devices with a 99% feature overlap (desktop PC / laptop / tablet / phone) should be taken out the backyard and shot.

I respectfully disagree. Every device should be able to do everything, and you can choose whatever form factors work for you.

>tablet
those were definitely a mistake.

>why do motorcycles exist? 99% of their features overlap with cars

good software always offers commandline option.
Banning GU would make world better? What kind of backward logic is that?

t.WANGBLOWS user that has no problem automating his work

Sure.

You need a smartphone, because your boss expects you to reply to e-mails even while taking a dump.

You need a tablet, because you can't realistically get away with more than 3 hours of phone usage, so you need the bigger touch device to do the same shit with 6-8 hours of power, so your phone doesn't die and you can still accept calls.

You need a laptop if you travel a lot to double as your computer.

And eventually you'll need a desktop computer for recreation if you don't want to look like a retard hauling a gamer laptop to work that could supplant it entirely if the power saving features weren't shit.

I'm not the one determining what form factor works for me, I'm pressured into owning all of them.

>You need a tablet, because you can't realistically get away with more than 3 hours of phone usage, so you need the bigger touch device to do the same shit with 6-8 hours of power, so your phone doesn't die and you can still accept calls.
Phones can handle 6 hour sot just fine these days.

Biggest mistake in technology are intellectual property laws and patents, as well as proprietary hardware and software. Human invention and innovation should belong to all. Patent, IP and proprietary h/s owners invented what they did by building on thousands of years of human enterprise that was freely available to them, what they make should be freely available for others.

If you think that is impossible, take for example math. Mathematics would develop much slower and I don't think so many sciences anif people could patent or protect equations, proofs and their new discoveries. Many things rely on math, such as the sciences, development of electronics, even arts. If math was less accessible the things that rely on it would develop slower. It is the same with technology, a lot of things rely on technology, our homes, access to food and water, our transportation, our leisure. We would see all those areas flourish if technology was open.

You don't have to be an engineer or an inventor of a machine to be able to make modifications. In the past, people became experts on the things they used through use because they were able to open the machines, fix them, etc. Today we see the opposite of that. Almost everything comes in a unibody or is somehow made to only be serviced by the manufacturer or licensed distributor. Same with software. When the modifications/improvements were made in the past, generally there was no way for the person to share it with the world. Today, one can share what they do, and people do do that on websites like hackaday and many others, but imagine how much more of that there would be, for every area where technology is essential.

Because of this, people are unable to become experts in the things they use, and therefore cannot modify or improve it and share those improvements with the world. They become nothing more than sources of labour, they are reduced to an essential condition, a fuel, for the functioning of the piece of technology.

Who the fuck cares about those, when it comes to mass distribution

>You need a tablet, because you can't realistically get away with more than 3 hours of phone usage, so you need the bigger touch device to do the same shit with 6-8 hours of power, so your phone doesn't die and you can still accept calls.
just get a power bank you autistic fuck
>And eventually you'll need a desktop computer for recreation if you don't want to look like a retard hauling a gamer laptop to work that could supplant it entirely if the power saving features weren't shit.
if you bring a desktop computer to work everyone is gonna think you're retarded. who the fuck brings a big ass metal box to his office every day instead of a laptop? holy shit you're autistic

Who cares about anything but Windows when it comes to mass distribution?

I have a smartphone that I keep in my pocket for texting/gps/email. I never put work stuff on the phone although a few of my coworkers know my cell number.

I have a laptop with a monitor that supports a stylus for my art shit. It comfortably fits in my laptop bag. Why would I need a tablet in this scenario?

I have an old gaming desktop from 2011, but it's just hooked up to my TV as a media center device. If it ever dies I'll just hook my laptop up to the TV instead. The only game I play is Dwarf Fortress.

>hauling a gamer laptop to work
>who the fuck brings a big ass metal box to his office every day instead of a laptop? holy shit you're autistic
Back at you pal, learn to read first before you start arguing in written form.