Recently my isp doubled my internet connection speed so I'm at 80mbs...

Recently my isp doubled my internet connection speed so I'm at 80mbs, problem is my computer is pretty far from the main router and is using a cheap wifi adapter so only 20 to 30 mbs ever reach it.

Should I upgrade my router and adapter to 5ghz or instead buy some cable and drill? It's more than 40 meters so I can't buy anything better than cat5

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-nj_BwoBE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use ethernet over power.

5jigga hertz don't penetrate walls as much as 2.4 does.

Just use the cat5 meme.

Anons are free to correct me.

All cables will work fine at their rated bandwidth at 55 metres. Cat5e (most common cable) will more than suffice.

The cheapest way is drilling a couple of holes. 5ghz have shorter range. You can try powerlan adapters.

Fuck, you don't need adapters or switches or any other bullshit, just run a fucking cable. Ethernet works up to 100 metres at reduced bandwidth but 80mbps is virtually nothing.

Poweline sucks. You can get 100mb/s from DECA for $20, or gigabit with MOCA for about $130. Both use the existing coax in your home. Deca needs unused coax endpoints, moca can operate with cable tv on the same wire.

This. 5Ghz has faster transfer rates but scaled over distance actually drop off faster than 2.4Ghz, especially through walls/objects.

Cat5e is fine, it's rated for Gigabit Ethernet up to 100m, so a 40m run is fine.

Your other option would be to look for AP repeaters and install one between you and the router that'd give you better speeds but not better than an Ethernet run.

>moca can operate with cable tv on the same wire.
Damn, I never knew that. I had written off MOCA because I thought it was going to require the same amount of work as running cat5. Thanks, bud, you just saved me a huge hassle.

cable is best. if a cable is impractical, try a better wlan adapter.

>more than 40 meters
>can't afford good cables
It's easy anyways. Buy 1-2 routers that will repeat the signal, and you will be able to have both CAT 6 wired and a good Wi-Fi coverage.
Shouldn't cost you more than $60.

>CAT5
Just get Cat6.
Costs the same,and it's future proof

>buy 2 routers
Have you heard of Access Points?

Try ethernet over power first.

>not cat7
You dun goofed

>need different connector than 8P8C

Not worth it for now

Tell me what consumer toys you use need more than a 10Gbit connection where the first do you think you are

>MOCA
but muh latency

DLAN or wired.

WLAN should be the last resort

If OP doesn't want any cables, he must go with repeaters

Which also is something different than a router. No?

Sure.

My hangup was with the notion of buying 2 additional routers to facilitate something an AP or Rep could do

Buy a sectorial wifi antenna to concentrate the radio power towards your PC. And also a new 5ghz router

I take your router is not on the center of your house.

Nope. He could also buy a sectorial antenna

Sector antenna

Cat7 is more future proof. If you're wiring your fucking house might as well use the latest stuff.

Or just put a cable canal in your wall get Cat6 and replace it when necessary (in 10-15 years

2018 and still using cables.

Lol

>he broadcasts all his traffic into the fucking air

>he likes shaky, unreliable, delayed, and unreliable signals
LOL

John Stewart pls go

Be creative
youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-nj_BwoBE

Ughh russian accent

What's the best way to replace cables in a house? I figure I just have to pull the outlet out, tie the cable to the end of the other, and pull it through. Is that it?

If you live in America, it's illegal, you need to call a technician.

this isnt true, I instead LEDE on my router and tweaked the 5GHZ singal.

I can get a singal thats about 30 feet away in a window thru a brick wall using a killer wireless NIC.

its a shitty router as well.