Bands you tried to like

Tried to like this band for 2 years but they don't do it for me. They have good songs, good albums, but nothing I would call "classic".

I started with EVOL and went up to Dirty. 86-92 is their supposed golden years... gave each album at least a dozen listens.

EVOL is my "favorite" but again, don't consider it a classic. Sister was higher rated than EVOL but I found it super boring.

Fave songs are STar Power, Expressway to Yr Skull, Teen Age Riot.

What band for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b92EKemUA4A
youtube.com/watch?v=OrJHbwCmmmY
youtube.com/watch?v=7at110cEohs
youtube.com/watch?v=xvDuATZCY8I
youtube.com/watch?v=oAMhdGQq66g
youtube.com/watch?v=rP3ovD8ZSS4
youtube.com/watch?v=2kHj3yysRrI
youtube.com/watch?v=dc9QB3H5aE8
youtube.com/watch?v=tJXjydR4Lwg
youtube.com/watch?v=v_4e8Tq-CKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9p-X7tKMURo
youtube.com/watch?v=bMFMMdbtJo8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

and what albums would you call classic?

Yeah, it's a love it or hate it kind of band.
EVOL in my opinion is their worst record until Goo but whatever.

>What band for you?
Husker Du.

deftones. been listening about 2 months and for the most part it is FUCKING boring. It's weird cause I love metal and I love atmospheric music. Deftones mixes metal, shoegaze, dream pop, but it's a snoozefest.

I started with White Pony and I did 4 songs off it. Feitceira, Digital Bath, Change, and Knife Party. The rest is very average, especially Passenger which features Maynard from Tool and I love old Tool!

The first 2 albums are pretty much blatant nu metal with exception of like 2 songs. Yet that second album is praised... wtf? Also Elite off White Pony is trash, pure nu metal.

Just listend to their new album Gore on Spotify. FUCKING SUCKS! Again no memorable riffing, boring boring boring.

Every single track on Daydream Nation is fucking incredible. Boggles my mind how people can not like it.

agree

not a band but kanye, hip hop is my favorite genre and i dont like anything he does, not even his older stuff which is considered classic

love the first 2 tracks, especially Kracked. Sludgefeat is cool. Raisins is good 2. Rest is filler. Last 2 tracks dont fit at all. Poledo sounds like a black metal intro then it gets sucky.

Band has good select songs, but overall I find em overrated. inb4 the hate.

Judging by the songs you posted, I can tell you really tried to listen to them. It took me a loooooooong time to like Sonic Youth, and even then there's plenty of songs of theirs I still can't stand. Did you ever try Sonic Nurse?

As for your question, Modest Mouse never clicked for me. I spent a whole year in high school listening to everything up to... whatever was their newest circa 2009. "This Is a Long Drive..." was the only one that held my attention for any amount of time.

Deftones fan of 10 years here, Gore was a pile of shit. Give Saturday Night Wrist a shot if you're into atmospheric stuff. Serj Tankian guests on a track and sounds great, and I hate SOAD.

>Did you ever try Sonic Nurse?
good suggestion

dude ranch nurse is like the best kim song in about 15 years

Bad Moon Rising is criminally underrated, just so you know. I'd give that at least one listen.

For me, it's My Bloody Valentine. I've like a good amount of shoegaze, noise rock, and dream pop, but I could never get all the way into Loveless or Isn't Anything. Some tracks I love, but most of it just didn't do anything for me.
I feel the same about EVOL, nothing on it outside of Expressway captured me like what they'd done by point.

>Husker Du.
not from any of their styles? they have like 3 or 4 distinct periods.

>Bad Moon Rising is criminally underrated,
possibly but death valley 69 was a hit

Ive gave the first 3 plenty of listens and Gore 1.

Whats your favorite? They just dont have enough memorable riffs which is important in metal.

>Sonic Youth
>Husker Du
>Dino Jr
>MBV

Jesus, you guys. These are four of my all time favorite rock bands. I can't imagine not loving them. Probably four of the only bands I liked as a 15 year old and still like 10 years later... I feel sorry for you guys desu :-/

For me, Tim Hecker. Love Ferraro, Blunt, Lopatin, etc. and all sorts of other supposedly "similar" artists but Hecker does nothing for me. Also ambient music is my favorite genre.

Are people memeing Deftones because of their new album or are they actually worth listening to? I thought they were like Korn tier or something but since the new album came out it seems like people have been acting like it's been cool to listen to Deftones for the last 15 years. Can anyone comment on this? (I've literally never bothered to check them out, not hating on them or anything)

Yeah but that's usually the one song from it that gets brought up when the whole thing is fantastic imo, their best pre-DN album.

I listened to here discography twice through an select albums 3-4 times. In the OP's words I dont consider any of her albums a classic. Stories From the City probably has the catchiest songs, some very good tracks on there, but also filler.. Dry & Rid of Me both have some great tracks, but also filler and nothing 5 star worthy. To Bring you my Love is maybe her closest to being best but no 5/5 star. Thought Let England Shake sucked after the first 4 tracks. Havnet her the new one yet..

Saturday Night Wrist is my personal favorite.
Their first two albums are pretty different from the rest of their catalogue. It was after White Pony that they started incorporating the more shogazey synthy stuff, and every album they've released since then is usually compared to it since it's considered their best.

Diamond Eyes is my favorite of theirs from this decade, and in my opinion, it and SNW blend the ethereal sound with the aggressive sound the best out of all their albums. Self-titled is my least favorite.

Guy who made deftones post here.

The first album is blatant nu metal. Second is like 80% with some 'atmospheric' elements. Third and most famous album, has 1 blatant nu metal song.

Theyve been straying from nu metal apparently since after White Pony. The new album isnt nu metal, but has chuggy 7 string guitars in there..

>Self-titled is my least favorite
Next to Gore that is. Jesus it was such a disappointment I forgot to count it as one of their albums.

Thanks for the heads up, user.

i didn't get past this album. my god the vocals are so cringy and the playing is pedestrian. Bring on the hate, seriously. this band is overfuckingrated. I gave this so many listens and Im disliking more each time. "Oh Comely" is one of the worst recorded songs of the past 20 years. elliot smith over this band ANY day.

It's not really nu metal. They just got lumped into it.
Whether you will like it or not.. idk.

around the fur is their best imo
white pony is by far their most popular.

i agree. they have great songs, but really hit or miss.

everyone says Self-titled is weak. Im gonna try the bands entire discography, but can it really be worse than that first album and the snorefest that is GORE?

king pt 1
communist daughter
and aeroplane over the sea are good.

I don't even listen to the rest.

avery island is better.

youtube.com/watch?v=b92EKemUA4A

here's a taste of Diamond Eyes. One of my favorite songs from them ever.

some of the crosses songs are good.

youtube.com/watch?v=OrJHbwCmmmY

even though it was like a cringy year late attempt to be part of witch house.

lol dont kid yourself dude. your just embarassed to like a band with the nu-metal tag.

Songs like Elite, Rickets, and Minus Blindfold are blatant nu metal. Also MX sucks, hate it when bands make a shit song then do extended silence only to resolve with more crap/filler.

also team sleep, which honestly is just a fucking great band name.

youtube.com/watch?v=7at110cEohs

My favorite release by them is their first one, give that a try if you haven't already. I'd say it's their most "out-there" record

I empathize with this, zen arcade feels kind of bloated with not enough variation for me

yea not bad. i think i need a break of em for a while. Everythings starting to blend together and Chinos voice is getting really annoying.

ricketts is the only one on that album that can definitely fit numetal. and I skip it every time.

but yeah they do have numetal songs, but hardly any actually fit completely into that genre. the deftones songs people really like don't.

its a lot more atmospheric and unique than most numetal bands. not denying it's mainstream though. but anyone should be able to tell the difference between deftones and something link linkin park or static x.

Dirty Three
I actually prefer Mick Turner's solo stuff

This but I wouldn't listen to anything by these guys.
So fucking bland.

>He thinks Zen Arcade is bad

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE STOP HAVING DIFFERENT OPINIONS FROM ME OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

King Crimson, The Doors, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, and Joy Division.

For whatever reason I just find them utterly uninteresting. I've listened to the Doors debut album more than a dozen times now trying to be as empathetic as possible but it's just boring, even for it's time.

true patricians itt

>Miles Davis
do you like other jazz?

My favourite Sonic Youth songs are the more conventional ones like
Teenage Riot
youtube.com/watch?v=xvDuATZCY8I
Unmade Bed
youtube.com/watch?v=oAMhdGQq66g
Incinerate
youtube.com/watch?v=rP3ovD8ZSS4

I love these three tracks, but almost never listen to them otherwise. Can anyone recommend any other songs of theirs based on those? And does anyone here actually sit down and listen through one of their albums? I never found they could hold me for a full album length

Yes. I haven't listened to all that much jazz but I like Coltraine and Mingus a lot. I also like some jazz rock stuff like Soft Machine and Robert Wyatt.

this guy. ill admit i havent listened to his WHOLE discography, but i find him boring overall. i started with this album and found it super bloated. Way down in the hole is a classic, but rest aint so great. yesterday song and train here is prob my second picks.

seems like a guy u would see singing at a bar or something. not for me i guess.

Have you listened to Swordfishtrombones or Rain Dogs yet? If no you should listen to those as they're where he goes in an entirely different direction.

weird. well miles has a record in every jazz style from bebop to fusion. if you like coltrane and mingus, i would check out miles' more free stuff. have you tried bitch's brew?

listen to bone machine

>does anyone here actually sit down and listen through one of their albums?
yes. as has already been said itt, daydream nation is perfect from beginning to end. one of the few albums i would consider to be 10/10. if you just want single songs that are more accessible though, then check out these

youtube.com/watch?v=2kHj3yysRrI
youtube.com/watch?v=dc9QB3H5aE8
youtube.com/watch?v=tJXjydR4Lwg
youtube.com/watch?v=v_4e8Tq-CKQ

>seems like a guy u would see singing at a bar or something.

Yeah, you should be so lucky

Sunday
Sugar Kane
Dripping Dream
Reena
Kool Thing

idk.

not a band, but pretty much jazz music in general.

Bitches Brew? If you say you like Soft Machine, this is the album that predates Third

absolutely disgusting.

jazz is hard if you're not at least somewhat experienced in music theory, but not impossible. try to listen without any context, and just let yourself react to the music in the most natural and uninhibited way possible. coltrane swore that jazz was a way of communicating on a spiritual level, and i think i have to agree with him. the problem is that to someone who's grown up on rock or hip hop, jazz is going to sound so weird and alien, that often times people just dismiss it. what kind of music do you like right now? i might be able to recommend something loosely based on your tastes if you're interested

>King Crimson
>Miles Davis
user why...

"i dont like the band" "its overrated!!!!" fuck off

>king crimson
>miles davis
Jesus christ mate

Dylan? Really?

king crimson are incredible, keep listening to red

>try to listen without any context, and just let yourself react to the music in the most natural and uninhibited way possible.
i believe i did. i also have at least some basic grasp of music theory and wouldn't generally think of jazz as sounding "weird and alien".

at the moment i like to listen to a lot of punk rock (such as Ramones, Buzzcocks, Wipers, Replacements), 60s garage rock/psych pop (such as The Sonics, The Troggs, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones) and some blues and rock and roll (such as Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Howlin' Wolf).

>i believe i did. i also have at least some basic grasp of music theory and wouldn't generally think of jazz as sounding "weird and alien".
fair enough. i was kind of generalizing there so i can't speak for you personally. and by weird and alien i mostly meant because its so drastically melodically and harmonically different from pop. structurally it might not seem all that weird

>punk rock and garage rock
well there's your problem. you're trying to go from two of the most simplistic subgenres of rock to one of the most complex genres in general. (no offense, i love punk and garage rock too) But if you're into bluesier stuff, i'd say the best place to start would be hard bop. here's coltrane's take on the blues youtube.com/watch?v=9p-X7tKMURo

have you listened to the rest of Nurse? most of that album is pretty "conventional"

youtube.com/watch?v=bMFMMdbtJo8
my fav track from Nurse, totally accessible

>and by weird and alien i mostly meant because its so drastically melodically and harmonically different from pop. structurally it might not seem all that weird
ok, well, i guess i can get behind that, the melodies in particular just don't appear so much "weird" as plain unmemorable and, what's worse, most of the time not even particularly expressive to me.

>well there's your problem. you're trying to go from two of the most simplistic subgenres of rock to one of the most complex genres in general.
it's not like i've been listening exclusively to punk and garage rock my whole life senpai. been listening to tons of more progressive stuff in my time as well. admittedly, though, i do value efficient simplicity very highly these days.

there was nothing in the first 5 minutes of that Coltrane album that sparked my interest, i'd try to listen to more of it if i hadn't tried so much already - i think jazz is just not for me.

>i think jazz is just not for me.
that's cool too man. good on you for giving it an honest shot