When you buy a new hard drive, what test do you run on it to make sure it hasn't been damaged during shipping?

when you buy a new hard drive, what test do you run on it to make sure it hasn't been damaged during shipping?

i put it in my pc and see if it works

if only drives had some sort of built in self test

I just do a scan and check the S.M.A.R.T. data. Is this not how you're supposed to do it?

is there a good linux tool

If the boxes are packed well you can literally throw them like that and no damage will occur.

/thread

how exactly do you "see" if every bit of a 10 TB HDD works?

If POST doesn't report errors it's good.

That's not very efficient

As far as I know BIOS/UEFI doesn't verify the integrity of your entire drive

I mean the guy throwing boxes. Only 1/3 of them actually stay on the conveyor belt.

Gsmartcontrol
Extended SMART test
Checks all of the surface sectors

Overwrite 3 times with badblocks and check if the head is scraping platter and giving bad sectors.

I then use it with only BTRFS or ZFS.

BIOS is less susceptible to un-FSCK-able damage than UEFI as you have to allocate an entire FAT16-32 partition rather than just shoot something tiny to the MBR.
Smaller target but much more devestating when you lose a partition header.

If you can:
Boot BIOS from GPT with BIOS BOOT partitions with 16 bit machine code installed on all local drives that are in the necessary software RAID
Use BTRFS on all available partitions and provide redundancy
Set a regular scrub interval
Be prepared to change boot order if one device gets the header wacked

Boom. Pretty much as indestructible as it gets.

As an amazon worker, I know that doesn't mean shit. Things get damaged by being thrown and getting holes in them and losing the padding.

Smartmontools on the CLI.

besides that being a dumb statement since it's factually wrong especially with hings that have moving parts that are sensitive in them.
>If the boxes are packed well
is rarely the case

WTF is this dogeater retarded or something?

It's just some entitled edgy teenager, who's angry about having to do actual work for once.

3 pass with DBAN and full disk encryption

if you would be paid 3bux a day to do your job, would you bother?

I'd prefer to just hang myself, but not doing shit.

# smartctl -t long /dev/sdx and if it passes then # badblocks -svwb 4096

lookup badblocks

You can't

that feeling when you need a fuck but your girlfriend cockblocks you

Sock it with a wrench.

thx

it probably wouldn't unless it couldn't read the first few sectors or SMART reported failure.
it wouldn't tell you if there were bad sectors elsewhere, but that may not be relevant as the heads are parked during shipping (not sitting anywhere on the platters)

This.

badblocks -v /dev/sda

This is pretty much how people in Thailand think their post office works.

and how do you tell if a box is packed well without opening it before throwing it?

this is why i hate buying shit online, especially anything fragile

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

I don't because I always buy them in-person instead of letting them tumble through miles of UPS conveyor belts and letting the underpaid UPS worker drop it from waist height in my doorway.

Those effects tho

Isn't the employment the only think keeping the billion people in China complacent? That's the last place I'd imagine they'd automate jobs