Are phone cases a meme? Is it worth ruining the aesthetics of your phone if you're not retarded and don't drop it?

Are phone cases a meme? Is it worth ruining the aesthetics of your phone if you're not retarded and don't drop it?
Getting an S9 and honestly finding it a hard decision to make. I'll probably buy a case but only use it when I go out drinking and shit, I want to be able to appreciate this aesthetic ass device

I don't see what's so hard about just not dropping your phone.

I usually compromise and get one of those ultra thin cases since I don't have Parkinson's and drop my phone daily. It helps with a lot of the minor scratches and scuffs though. Wished phones weren't the damn glass sandwiches that they are now. My Nexus 5 was perfectly fine without a case.

Cases suck but scratches and shit suck too. Pick one.

it's almost like modern phones are incredibly slippery due to being made of soft metals and glass for "muh aesthetics"

dont use a case and literally just dont drop it

Then buy a dbrand© Grip™ skin, the world's grippiest phone skin. Our, I mean, their skins are designed to eliminate fingerprints, add some grip, and prevent scratches - all without adding any bulk

My dad had one of those chunky dumbass life proof cases from day 1 with his iPhone 5s, it looked literally brand new when he took it out to resell after upgrading 2 years later

Water resistance in phone has made those fully enclosed cases pretty redundant, but I guess if you want to ruin your user experience with one you'll get a better resale value down the line

>if you're not retarded and don't drop it
He thinks people drop their phones intentionally

>not getting a 50$ case to greatly increase your 500$+ phone's chances of survival in case of an accident
>actually finding the small thickness convenient and valuing "aesthetics" of a phone (I guess you mean how nicely the glass surface collects fingerprints)
it's like you're an actual retard

It only takes one time for your fragile glass computer to smash into pieces on the sidewalk if someone bumps into you

get a good leather phone case
that can double as a wallet
its way better than anything..

I LIKE HOW SAMSHITS RETARDED CURVED MEME MAKES TEMPERED GLASS SCREEN PROTECTOR COMPANIES WORK OVERTIME

yeah what the actual fuck happened to matte plastics? moto g 1&2 got it right

Not using a phone case is a meme

the glass back is hell for me. almost a necessity to get a case for it since glass in my hands means it slipping constantly.

Phone cases protect from theft.

Note 8 is practically unusable without a case.
Glass back feels lake garbage in your hands, way too slippery and the curved edges make it even worse.

I assume S9 will be similar.

I had to get a case for my last two phones because of the glass back; without the case I'm super paranoid about setting it down on virtually any surface and especially ones that aren't level since the fucking things slide all over the place.

>what the actual fuck happened to matte plastics? moto g 1&2 got it right

Note 3 was perfection.
Fake leather is very grippy, looks and feels nice, and is very thin and light.

Shame Samsung didn't stick with it instead of copying Apple's retarded design.

I fell for the Applel meme and bought an iPhone 8. Not even two weeks later, on my 21st birthday weekend (which I spent intoxicated). I dropped my phone. Luckily, I had a case, but the case broke. Later that day, I waved at a friend of mine, accidentally threw my phone in the air, and dropped it, shattering the back. Thankfully, the front was fine but still. I fucking hate this phone and now I can't get rid of it

t. dumb phoneposters who never studied statistics

Anyone else bundle a case with their phones besides Oppo? Never had a phone maker do this before and it's neat

Xiaomi, one plus, and Huawei do it as well

Only downside of the r11 is the horrible ui but it's just such a nice balanced phone I don't care

I used to use a case, until I took my phone out of it one day and realized the extra mass added by the case actually inhibited functionality. The phone was easier to handle and easier to use when it was smaller and weighed less. This was a Samsung GS6, which I got in 2015, and in almost three years (two without a case), I have never dropped it.

I also don't understand the "glass is slippery" meme. I've found the glass front and back to stick to my fingers very well, and the metal-back iPhones are much more slippery. I even got a textured dbrand skin to remove fingerprints but I took it off because the glass is just more grippy.

The glass doesn't "shatter" either. It's adhered to a film on the inside which holds it all together when it experiences stress, so glass shards don't fly everywhere when it breaks. And a new glass back is about $20 anyways and trivial to replace. I suppose that last point is less true with the newer curved Samsung phones.

It's a chinkphone thing.

I only use a phone case because of camera bump. If it weren't for that I'd just use a skin.

>phones
>resale value

It's how poor people justify their purchases.

Glass backs are slippery and get riddled with fingerprints so even if you don't put a case or skin on it, the aesthetic isn't going to last for long. The Galaxy S8 was one of the most fragile phones to release last year because of it's curved glass design so I assume the same will go for the S9.

>MORE CURVE!
>MORE GLASS!
t. SAMSHIT

S12 WILL BE A FULLY CURVED GLASS CYLINDER

more like shame on reviewers and dumbass customers that wanted a "premium" feel and look.

I love aesthetic phones, and hate ruining it's looks with covers or all that other bullshit, but several phone with no cases or screen protectors later, and after a few months of use you end up with a beaten up device and a fucked up screen, gorilla glass, chimpanzee screen, whatever, it doesn't really matter.

And I don't even drop the phones much, the worst shit that happens is when the phone flies out of the center console in my car and hits the seat rails.

Also with the curved screen and bezel-less bullshit, you will inevitably fuck the phone up, even if you have the reflexes of the flash, accidents are bound to happen.

Just get the sturdiest
relatively cheap case you can find, who gives a shit what it looks like, only thing you should give a shit about is not breaking your brand new $840 phone
Just get a thinner case, you can get them as thin as you like

t. never owned a glass back phone

>THE ONLY REASON TO BUY A FLAGSHIP IS FOR ITS LOOKS AND TO HAVE THE NEWEST MODEL TO SHOW OFF
>COVER IT UP IN A FUGLY CASE
NAAAAM8

IF YOU DROP IT JUST BUY ANOTHER

>I want to be able to appreciate this aesthetic ass device
what fucking aesthetic are you talking about

you mean the plain black on the back of the phone? do you spend time looking at the back of your phone?

is this what's considered aesthetic to you? mate.

My iPhone SE is fine and I drop it every week.

Phones have shit resale value anyway.

>>THE ONLY REASON TO BUY A FLAGSHIP IS FOR ITS LOOKS
It's also faster and better than most of the phones released before it, there's that
>IF YOU DROP IT JUST BUY ANOTHER
EIGHT HUNDRED AND FORTY DOLLARS MANG

>He doesn't enjoy minimalistic functional design.
Should you even be here?

it's not that i don't enjoy it
it's that it's LITERALLY just plain black on the back of your phone. every phone has a variation of that.

Case negligates the aesthetic innovations in thinness and bezel reduction.

> aesthetic innovations in thinness and bezel reduction
10000000000/10

you have got to be kidding me?
it's a fucking black screen

>It goes around your head

I'm from Chile and I bought a used Samsung s6 for $350 on June 2016. It looks almost as new and I bought a case to keep it that way. Fortunately, Samsung offered me a new S7 plus $85 in exchange for my pristine S6 last December. I understand that some cases ruin aesthetics and shit, but I can't deny upgrading your phone for less than $100 was worth it.

Just get a clear TPU case.

>gs6 is too big to handle
Manlet detected. Might as well buy an iPhone for your vagina while you're at it.

There is literally no difference between s8 and s9

It was a "premium" feel and look.
That was the weird part.

I think it was only after the reviewers learned it was made from plastic rather than real leather that they disliked it.
If they went by look and feel alone they would certainly praise it.

It's like people hating on "fake diamonds" when the only way to tell they're fake is by using specialized equipment.

The note 3 got it wrong with the crappy fake chrome bezel which chipped if you put it down on any hard surface.

That should be an easy fix.
The concept was still great.

yeah it's dumb. good plastic is more durable than real leather, as well the other "premium" materials like glass and aluminum. steel frame is still better though for rigidity.

Real leather would be nice too.
But it would be very thick (the fake leather cover is like half a mm thick)

Yes there literally is

hell no. durability is out the window, and good luck with any IP rating.

You can't even use the phone without a case, it's impossible to hold and type on, same with the s7 edge and s8

I dropped my iphone se so I got a case from my iphone 7

After I cracked the corner of my s8 screen. It was dropped onto my bathroom floor, yet when it smack onto a floor by a nigger at a bus stop, it was fine with my thin case

sony phones look like boring trash tho

>phone costs $500
>case costs $30
>have dropped phone over a dozen times on concrete
>case has saved me $6,000 in repairs and replacements

Yes cases are worth it

>waved at a friend of mine, accidentally threw my phone in the air, and dropped it
Top kek.
Last week, I was painting an arcade machine for my robotics competition. I get a text and take my phone out of my pocket and DROP IT IN THE PAINT BUCKET. There was paint everywhere and there's a permanent black stain on its case.

I'm glad my autism is mutual on this board

I'm retarded and drop my phone all the time(usually while drunk), don't have a case for it, and it still works fine.

cases arent just for protecting drops. i use mine while i poop and when i am done pooping i put my phone on the sink counter so a case would prevent the camera lens to scratch the counter and the other way around.
when i place my phone on my desk i dont want it to scratch each other as well and when i set it on my desk im pretty rough with it
then there are pocket sand that somehow just gets into your pocket and for some reason those mofo silica is hard enough to actually scratch your phone so thats why i get a case
people complaining about fingerprint smudge are retarded, i'd rather not see any micro scratches than fingerprint smudge cause i can clean it off instead of buffing those scratches