/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DgmD4C9GRi0
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg
youtube.com/watch?v=j9FfYWp_d5w
aliexpress.com/item/Wooeasy-MaGaosi-K5-5BA-Drive-Unit-In-Ear-Earphone-5-Balanced-Armature-HIFI-In-Ear-Monitoring/32840034781.html
npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
siliconera.com/2018/03/02/the-idolmaster-shiny-colors-dazzles-with-trailers-for-its-new-idol-units/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MA900

>headphones
lol

Late night listening

what are currently listening to /hpg/?
youtu.be/DgmD4C9GRi0

Decided my Stax 3100 system is going to reside in my garage. They sound great but can’t keep up with my other options.

Never buy Schiit products.

>#1 recommended brand by reddit shills because hehe i get to say Shit
>owner thinks authoring a 140-chapter work of fiction about the company history makes up for garbage quality control, performance, and customer service
>Schiit defenders are becoming poster children for post-purchase rationalization when shown their buys aren’t worth the money

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurement-and-review-of-schiit-bifrost-multibit-dac.2319/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses
>As we see, tons of jitter and distortion products are visible together with higher noise floor. Even the Topping D30 at $129 shipped runs circles around it in how clean its output is relative to Schiit BiFrost Multi-bit.
>There are DACs literally at 10% of the cost that do much better.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

>~150€ (2nd hand is ok)
>Europe
>iPhone 8
>On ears or small over ears
>Open or closed, don't mind either
>Don't really care about comfort
>Past headphones: Grado sr80, Sony sbh-60, SoundMagic E10s
>Nice design is a plus e.g. Grados, B&W, H/K, B&O

Looking for something that would sound ok+ or as good as you can get with a limited budget. XTZ Divine seemed interesting.

Any suggestions?

Hey, newfag here. How much of an improvement will a cheap DAC provide over on-board sound? Something like a FX audio x6.

What headphones for listening to hatsune miku

Approx. 32%

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
Nice. Still no feet :X
HD600 are good for idolfags.
>FX audio x6.
Measures like absolute garbage. Worse than onboard. Avoid.

I'm buying an emu teak and a hd660s. Fuck
I do not even care anymore.

Why have you been leaving out the best part?

>no feet

don't get an x6, it's horrible

Stop cucking me with leaving out the FEET OP

>hd660
Don't do that to yourself. Get the cheaper and both objectively and subjectively better HD600.
Or get HD800.
Don't bother with that HD660 crap.
youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg

>I'm buying an emu teak
and then you do your research and find that every e-mu teak owner who bought the atticus/eikon like it a lot better, including myself :^)

Feet fucking where.

Oh, right, I'm looking for wireless ones. Should've mentioned that

if you had done any actual research yourself, you would realize that once all bias has been removed, people prefer high fidelity audio reproduction

>people prefer high fidelity audio reproduction
but that's what stax is for user

>Feet fucking where.
Cropped out is where.

ASSHOLE my peepee needs FEET with HEADPHONES

youtube.com/watch?v=j9FfYWp_d5w

With pic related.

>no anime feet

Don't be gullible and believe SBAF smear campaign mate.

>high definition driver
>dynamic driver
LOL

I mean, I recall even NwAvGuy dissing Audio-GD at some point.

Really, it's not because one should despise Schiit that they should jump on any other brand and praise it.

I sense jealousy in your post. ;^)

>max 1000€
>germany
>yamaha ag06, phone, nintendo switch, should basically work with anything
>in-ear, don't care if open/closed/dynamic/planar
>as long as I don't have to fiddle around for a good fit all the time i don't care much for comfort
>Past headphones include DT770, DT880, HD650, K701, LCD2.2, LCD2 classic

I am basically looking for the IEM equivalent of LCD2.2 sound sig. Recently got the LCD2 Classic and fell for Audeze's promises to replicate the former. Sold it and am now looking for a more multi-purpose solution, because my LCDs mostly sat in the drawer towards their ends.

Advice?

aliexpress.com/item/Wooeasy-MaGaosi-K5-5BA-Drive-Unit-In-Ear-Earphone-5-Balanced-Armature-HIFI-In-Ear-Monitoring/32840034781.html

r8 my purchase guys

>I am basically looking for the IEM equivalent of LCD2.2 sound sig.

iSine is your only hope.

>buy $1800 dollars worth of headphones
>don't like listening to music anymore
FUCK

you clearly bought the wrong headphones

Should have got HD600.

>I'm bored of music
>let's buy a boring sounding headphone so I can be even more bored

HD600 isn't boring. Your music is. HD600 is just accurate.

From my brief research into the iSines I only read their FRs are mostly all over the place and really only shine with their retarded Lightning DAC/DSP cable. Maybe I'll try the iSine 10, can at least get them locally and return them in case.

Anyone got experience with Monoprice m300?

You can get iSine without their stupid Lightning cable. Combined with their DSP the sound is really quite nice...

Just to clarify, I'm talking about their Reveal plugin.

What should I get if I want to make music less boring?

headpones with musical signatures like dark or v shaped. analytical is interesting in its own way too (stax, hd800)

The Sony XB950N1's are on sale for $150 now, should I get them? Apparently they break easily so would there happen to be another pair of headphones that do the same things/sound the same as the XB950N1s but are more durable?

>musical signatures like dark or v shaped
lol

Oh, okay, wasn't sure I misunderstood. Read about the reveal plugin, which seems good, but that would limit the DSP to PC as a source. I'll give them a shot anyways. Thanks.

Headphones will never be the same without anime feet :(

I want anime smelly feet too :(

you probably listen mp3 crap on some shitty medicore dac

Would Brainwavz sheepskin pads change the sound of msr7 for the worse?
Need to use them at the gym and heard pleather is bad in sweat so I need real leather pads but heard some might change the sound.

>HD600 are good for idolfags.
HD600 are good for everyone.

worse build quality than chink shit

>HD600 are good for everyone that want to waste money on memes
ftfy

>Would Brainwavz sheepskin pads change the sound of msr7 for the worse?
For the much worse. The impact would be lessened if they were closer in size (depth of the pads/distance put between your ear and driver, and the size of the ear hole). But with anything brainwavz you're looking for a terrible change. MSR7 lose all bass (and their bass is already slightly recessed) with brainwavz leather and pleather pads. With velour, they become piercing bright.

Which includes idolfags.
Yeah, HD600 is mostly the best for every one.
Exceptions include some options designed for people with hearing loss.

I have ATH-M50's for niggerbass
AKG K612's for comfy anime watching
And some HD 650's for general music
What's the next logical step in getting meme headphones? Should I get DT 990's?

>uncomfortable

ha ha ha

this game sounds great on my hd600s!

o-ok ill just get some with stock velour pads then like custom studios
theyll get soaked wet but idc ill just wash them

?
So you've removed the knob and took a pic? What's the big deal?

I'm tempted to buy a pair of these (CA Cascade), all the reviews have seem'd really good.

Is there something better, in the $800 price range that's closed back? I don't care about portability.

I already have a pair of Aeon closed back but I find them really uncomfortable. On the right side the pad keeps shifting and it causes the inside of the ear cup to sit on my ear.

I've replaced the pad 3 different times now and I'm not sure if I'm wearing them wrong or because my head has a fucked up shape but I want something else.

Best girl noire is voiced by Asami Imai (mingosu) aka idolm@ster's kisaragi chihaya.
Just a random fact you might appreciate.

This is exactly the kind of thing that someone trying to rationalize their worse-than-chinkshit Schiit purchase would post. Interesting.

You could always try to find some third party with similar dimensions to the MSR7 pads. Normally a headphone shouldn't lose bass with decent third party leather or pleather pads but what happens to the msr7 is that the signature was designed with stock pads which are very, very tiny, and put your ears close to the driver, more than many other headphones. Their driver do not output enough bass energy for something like the HM5, which create a much bigger acoustic chamber around your ear and also are much thicker, putting your ear at a greater distance.

>The fox and the grapes
>He literally posted an image of a schiit product he has
>That somehow implies he's jealous of something he can't have even though he has it
???

for me it's blanc. btw i unironically use english dub over jap dub

>unironically
wtf, how could you.

>english dub

The innocence you must have to believe that just because we piss on schiit we somehow can't buy their stuff, whose entry level price is a measly $99.

Are Fostex TH-X00 actually good or a meme ?
They look like they're good, people like them, and while I'm not a huge closed headphones fan, I find myself appealed to them as an object first, and reviews of them seems like they'd be something I enjoy.

E-MU Teak looks to be great as well (especially detachable cable), but I can't find them at a good price currently.

i meant just for the game not in general.

they are great, they just feel like a toy

I'm the user who bought both the Meze 99 Neo and ATH-m70X with the intention of returning one or both. Well the verdict is in, quick reviews follow:

I have never owned a pair of headphones, but I still consider myself to be pretty capable of hearing good and poor quality. For this comparison, I listened to the first 4 tracks of DSotM, A Love Supreme pt 1, and some noname electronica. All in FLAC of course. After that, I used this site npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality to test their performance as well. I scored 6/6 on my godly speakers immediately prior to testing these, so I know I have the ears to discern quality. All of this was done with NO amp or DAC whatsoever, because the only reason I want a closed back phone is to use at work, and I'm not autistic enough to bring audio equipment to work.

Meze: Muddy. Muddy! Against all advice, I hoped these would be good. Aside from the left earcup being fucked up which would have made me return these anyway, the sound was nothing special at all. Nowhere close to their $250 price tag. The bass is very strong, but not even in a fun way, in just a Beats shit way.

AT: Better, but a bit sibilant at times. The mids and highs were pretty clear, but the bass was weak, far too weak! On the electronica track, there was no umph at all. The drums accompanying Coltrane had no vigor. Sad!

I did not even try to do the 128/320/flac test with the Meze, but with the AT, I could not really tell apart 320 and uncompressed, and on one track I chose 128. For an "analytical" pair, they did not reveal as much as I would have expected.

I'm returning both and probably just getting some cheap IEMs.

siliconera.com/2018/03/02/the-idolmaster-shiny-colors-dazzles-with-trailers-for-its-new-idol-units/

This has nothing to do with headphones or technology. Please kill yourself.

Virtual idols are technology and music, ffs. And best heard with HD600, when not live.

>I'm returning both and probably just getting some cheap IEMs.
Who would have guessed ? We told you these were trash.
I'll also call bullshit on your ability to discern "audio quality".

>I'm the user who bought both the Meze 99 Neo and ATH-m70X with the intention of returning one or both.
And I'm the guy who mocked you for the endeavour and whom you thought was not helpful.
Why did you set yourself on those two piles of trash before asking actual advice ? I'm sorry doing something like this is now making you want to go to some cheap IEM. If you had told us before trying these literally not a single soul would have recommended either of these.

Get 6/6 correct on these shitty examples that are already compressed as fuck in the studio. I can consistently do it on my good speakers.
npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

When it comes to closed back, for every recommendation there is another person saying they're shit. As these are just going to be for a noisy office, I'll just take the isolation of an IEM and save the cash

Forgot to mention, both of them also had no soundstage whatsoever. I may be spoiled from high end speakers but damn, get your shit together headphones

what speakers?

They're semi-open actually so they'll leak out a bit. I heard they're one of the best hifi bass cans out there. Got to find them used though.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Just because you were right, doesn't make me wrong there

>When it comes to closed back, for every recommendation there is another person saying they're shit. As these are just going to be for a noisy office, I'll just take the isolation of an IEM and save the cash
Nobody recommends the M70X. Nobody. Even AT fanboys such as I. Even the m50x is more compatible with music and it's a headphone I consider garbage tier in the AT lineups.
As for the meze, like I said in the previous thread you were in, 99% of their praise comes from the first batch of production. They changed the pads and inflated the already out of control bass further in newer versions. They did that at around the same time they introduced the neo. The classic also have those pads.
This is not a matter of a minority of people criticizing every headphone in existence. You bought two of the most nonsensical closed headphones, that sit at price ranges they were never worthy of. If you wanted an Audio Technica you could have bought the MSR7 and most probably you would have kept it.

anyone here uses hd650 for kino? is it good?

yes it does. both are known shit cans
>I have two guns here, I'll keep whichever can kill me in one bullet

Yeah, it's great after EQ.

The sennheiser ones look well more comfortable.

>having $250 budget
>getting anything else than HD600

Guys, which one? Looking for some comfy, affordable listenings

HD 202
Audiotechnica M20x
Koss PortaPro

Among these, the portapros.
But unless you intend to use these on the go (as they're intended to be), I'd suggest SHP9500S, HD558 or any of the usual chink recommendations (anyone got a link handy?). They're all better options than the three listed, for indoors use.

I have a $400 budget but I need closed