What does Sup Forums think of the Steam Controller?

What does Sup Forums think of the Steam Controller?

Pretty good decoration for my battlestation imo

I have an idea but I'm not sure if it's even possible to pull off.

Is it possible to literally implant an analog stick at the right touch pad area?

It looks awkward as fuck. No controller can trump the Xbox 360 controller

i have it and don't care for it

Its pretty hectic and retarded. It feels like some cheap plastic shit. Xbox ftw really

retard garbage

Fuck off back to kiddie, and stick your gaymer shit up your asshole where it belongs.
I hope GPU prices shoot up even further just to hear your lamentations you little underage and manchild garbage.

Can you use it as a mouse?

i mostly emulate 8/16 bit consoles and a good dpad is necessary for that, so i woulnd't bother with it

All of these

Get xbox one, it's super comfy

Not that steam controller doesn't have its uses, I just find it sitting on my desk tho

Tactile feedback is essential in gaming, so whoever thought of putting touchpads on the bloody thing was probably a brainlet.

you don't get it dude, it totally replaces the mouse and keyboard when I'm chilling on the bed, I don't play any games with it.
>pape hunting sundays

you can use it as many other things, software is a little shitty but still gets the job done.

that's the entire purpose of it, to play pc games without a keyboard and mouse, and to generally interact with your computer from the couch

depends on Steam to function
thick and bothersome

its customization doesn't matter, it's still worse to play on than mouse/kb for every game. and for controller optimized games, the DS4 is far superior.

bought it two years, use it only for jackbox games on steam. got a steam link for free/cheap? a year ago, was totally useless before that.
they recently ported the jackbox games to linux/steamos now i dont even need to start a windows vm anymore for that shit when friends come over.

my primary controller is the ds4. best fucking controller so far, aced every darksouls, devil may cry game and also played tons of gta with.
works like a charm on linux and has no drawback. it is the only controller that doesnt feel like a toy to me, even though it is one, lol.

i also own a 360 and xbox one controller. the 360 was my primarry, before i got a ds4. solid controller but feels like a cheap clunky toy compared to the ds4 with uncomfortable analog sticks.
the xbox one controller is a joke. the shoulder buttons are unsuseable, you notice that especially in games like darksouls.

overall the steam controller for me is a steam link remote. it fullfills its inteded purpose as a steam bit screen on tv input device and the typing overlay capability is acceptable.
i would rather like to control the steam overlay from my phone, then with the steam controller to be honest, but so far i haven't found a way to do that that also works on steam link and isn't totally retrarded or works under linux.

It's pretty damn comfy for couch surfing

Yeah, it works really well imo

It feels way superior if you need mouse aiming in a game. But it tends to sit on my desk for now like every other user said, cause I'm playing Souls series and Nier Automata atm.

It would probably be my only controller if I only had one, like it was for a long time. It's too good a desktop remote controller. But it's kinda specific.

Also yeah it feels really cheap and plasticky and at least on mine the haptic motors are flimsy and noisy, and you have to use Steam Big Picture for everything and it's essentially unfinished in software. So go figure. I'm pleased with mine tho overall, I think the pros overcome the cons.

I really liked using it for Dark Souls, it worked just fine for me.

Also made Cuphead ez pz as you could make custom button presses and auto hold so that I could press a button once and get automatic switching between two weapons and always firing, allowing you to completely concentrate on movement.

Oh yeah it totally works for DS but Dark Souls 1 didn't properly support mouse+gamepad so I just used my x360 and then I couldn't switch back anymore for any third person games, with the different button placements and all.

DS2 on a Steam Controller was superb when I tried it out beforehand.

The problem is that no games are specifically designed for this type of input device. I'm sure if a game was programmed from the ground up with use of the Steam Controller in mind, it might control decently with it... but all PC games are designed with mice in mind, and so mice will always have superior performance.

I prefer it to any other controller. I don't even bother with the whole customization thing, I use it with standard presets in emulators or games that have shit keyboard controls.

>hectic
that means awesome here

the controller is literally designed to be a second-to-best compromise after the mouse when you just want to play your PC games from your couch

It's also infinitely programmable

Try harder

Possible? Yes
Will it work natively with the Steam controller drivers? Not without serious reverse engineering

I have the Steam Controller and the DS4 controller.

DS4 is better and doesn't need a specific dongle, just bluetooth.

It's really comfy for controlling an HTPC on GNU/Linux along with the sc-controller package. You can pull up the soft keyboard and do the thumb typing regardless of program. Makes it fun to browse Sup Forums on my TV, or pull up a restaurant menu for some friends to look at. Also decent for controlling mpv remotely, but I can also do that over ssh with my laptop.

If you bought a Steam Controller for anything else than playing kb+m games when in a controller-only setting, you're a retard. Every single one of these threads is filled with "xbox controller/DS4 is better!", which completely misses the point.

>Advantages:
>Right pad trackball mouse + hold-right-pad-activated gyro is insanely useful for mouse emulation. DS4 has both touch and gyro, but there's no way to intuitively and quickly use them together
>Back paddles. Super useful as extras when creating your own PC game control templates, and takes the place of X and A with controller emulation so you can't complain about the placement of those buttons.
>Touch menus + mode shifted on-same-pad press so you can have 4-5 buttons on your mouse aim pad.
>Insane battery life, good wireless connection, very good polling rate

My one gripe with it is using the right trackpad when emulating xinput in third person games. Usually the camera snaps back in these games, and I just can't get used to the mouse-like stick or trackpad acting completely as a stick.

I liked how the camera would stay in place. At least I think it did when using the Steam Controller.
When using a PSX or XBOX pad the analog always returns to the starting position and that kind of bugs me.

Great for everything except

Fighting games
RTS

Is not a controller for brainlets, though. The customization is impressive and configuring it is a game in itself.

The 360 controller AND the Steam controller both have atrocious D-pads. Useless for fighting games

I have Valve and digital distribution.
Fuck off Valve shill.

I use it a ton for Civ in bed. I got it with a Link during the giant sale where they were dirt-cheap, so it's been a fun little addition.

My only gripe is the weird official adoption rate by some games that leads to really fucking weird controller layouts and weird bugs. Example, logging into Warframe uses an entirely different set of buttons than the rest of the game's menus.

>works like a charm

DS4 has two analogs which are way better than the touchpads on the Steam Controller.

I have an xbone controller which is fine, but I want to get one just to try it out

You didn't even read the first sentence of my post, you double donut.

The Xbox One controller have a normal D-pad.