We had these computers in my elementary school's computer lab and I absolutely hated them. Were they actually any good?

We had these computers in my elementary school's computer lab and I absolutely hated them. Were they actually any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=skkDM9Ijckc
cheatsheet.com/technology/watch-out-for-exploding-laptops-sony-recalls-26k-vaio-pcs.html/?a=viewall
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1020346/sony-batteries-explode
engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-battery-recall-approaches-10-million-costs-mounting/
gadgetguy.com.au/sonys-vaio-brand-is-dead-but-the-support-lives-on/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How many other computers were you possibly exposed to at that point to feel hatred towards them?

>got in trouble in the 5th grade before I was diagnosed with ass burgers
>teacher said I couldn't use a mac in computer lab when everyone else went
>I got choked up
>some girl noticed and told people I was crying

He's a sheep, other people said 'Apple sucks' so went along with it.

I remember my elementary school having them back in 2008. My crappy school never upgraded the ram on the damn things so simply opening a webpage would cause them to freeze up.

The site I remember opening in particular was the English Dragon Ball Z site. The page was almost finished loading and the imac froze up. There was a substitute teacher there at the time who didn't know how to turn it off. The fucking thing was frozen on that site for almost 16 hours before my teacher came back and unplugged it

This is an 18+ website

I am 18 though

Dragon Ball Z ended 16 years ago.

>only 18
you're fresh meat boy, lurk moar

>mac
Those pieces of shit would bomb crash if you breathed in their direction. Apple was an ever bigger joke than they are now.

GOAT in A E S T H E T I C S

First iMac was groundbreaking when it first came out and it redeemed Steve Jobs. Without the success of iMac, Steve would have been out of job and would have needed to pursue other interests.
It was first computer to fully utilize the Information Highway right off the bat. This was before social media made people stupid and internet wasn't commercialized.
I miss the time before social media. Idiocracy is happening right now. Of course even back then the computer was overpriced and relied on "design". However macOS was always great before OSX.

>fagos
>great
see

t. millennial who wasn't even born back then
Just kill yourself. You post on Sup Forums but don't know anything about the history of computing or internet.

I know right
I want to get one

nobody like them, but it had a enormous marketing that failed.
that's why nobody copied as everybody is coping iphone and macair and those

What the hell was so good about MacOS before OSX?

It didn't have real multitasking.
It was always freezing, forcing you to reboot the whole machine.
It was not based on unix.
It did not have ANY command line interface.
It did not have spotlight.
Instead of the dock it had a less useful control panel slideout thingy in its place.

What is the point of using OS7thru9 when you could just use OSX 10.4 which has near-perfect backwards compatibility with 90s Mac software?

I've always hated apple except the G3 and G5 gen. G4 was looked cheap. Too bad tech wise their upgradablity and compatibility sucked until they use Intel.

they have a nice UI but are effectively useless

I had these exact computers in elementary school. I didn't think much of them except that they were limited and couldn't play the games I played at home but I didn't expect much because I always thought they were the "school computers" like they had lower standards or something.

I'm telling you though Raymand and Jazz Jackrabbit and Earthworm Jim and Putt Putt were the absolute fucking tits growing up. Thanks for the games and the PC, dad.

Oh man we had these when I was in like, second grade.
I didn't like them because we had an 8088 at home that my dad was teaching me to compile QBASIC programs with, and I thought it was dumb that there were 2 different kinds of computers that basically did the same thing.

Yes I have autism, but I've learned to keep it under wraps

OS9 was competing with 95 & 98, both were going shows.

MacOS was semi decent to program for and had sane windowing toolkits.

The iMac? It's really not that bad. Looked really fucking nice at the time, still has a cool aesthetic to it (but looking back, I'm amazed at how Apple managed to get these brightly colored gumdrop looking machines into businesses).
the issue is that pre-X MacOS is absurdly rough under the hood, and OSX is a fucking slow dog on all but the last few G3 iMacs

running software under Classic has a mild performance penalty
and good luck have fun if whatever shit you wanted to run needed 3D acceleration (and a good fifth of the programs I ran did)
in addition, OSX didn't actually get any sizable amount of native software until 10.3
pre-X MacOS also used fucktons less RAM (I used 10.1 on a 500MHz G3 iBook with 192MB of the stuff, was a bit rough -- then I ended up upgrading to 10.4 on it, was extremely rough, even though I managed to tolerate it somehow -- but OS9 on the machine fucking flew)

didn't have that many hard-locks on OS9 either, but the possibility was always there, and you basically HAD to reboot the machine if a program died on you, whether the rest of the machine came down or not (because if you didn't, the machine would certainly lock up later)

the easiest way to hate them is to use that fucking round mouse
looked so fucking cool, right up to the point where I first got my hands on it
>move mouse up
>cursor moves diagonally to the left
amazing

>Apple was an ever bigger joke than they are now

>grew to become the biggest, richest and most influential technology company in the world

OS X is bad on RAM because Mach eats up tons of memory... Not to mention, the OS X equivalents of the individual programs use more RAM.

The puck mouse is shit, but considering you can plug any old USB mouse in and use that instead, hating the computer for it seems a bit petty.

are you 23 years old?

Yes

superior thing coming through

You're asking this on Sup Forums?

For an AIO, they were decent. Super easy to connect to the web, had USB, and were fairly easy to service too.

They weren't powerhouse machines, but they weren't supposed to be.

>nobody copied
the absolute state of Sup Forums
youtube.com/watch?v=skkDM9Ijckc

This was actually developed when educators asked apple for a big heavy computer.

I believe it was the last CRT apple ever produced, and later units actually had an LCD with a big weight in the bottom, but I'm dubious on that last bit

I used these in high school

Whatever you think about Apple you have to admit the G3 line was absolute design kino, everything after that has been generic as fuck.

I used to own a G3, wish I still owned it for retro Mac gaming, apps and shit, old G3s can actually run PS1 games fantastically.

>later units actually had an LCD with a big weight in the bottom
Nah, I had one of the last eMacs (might have even been produced in 2006, right before the intel switch over), it was CRT to the end

My Dad still owns an eMac, I used it for years before him, it's amazing, I used OS X for like two or three years back a few years after the eMac came out but I can't remember it at all, it felt comfy but generic as fuck.

s
/thread

>Were they actually any good?
no, just the design of the mouse alone is enough to drive you crazy. why bother?

Someone in an office I was working at back in the day had an iBook. Lightyears ahead of its time and still pretty unique now.

>ahead of its time
This is how Appletard subhumans actually think.

I like the integrated handle on those

Not every apple product is a meme. I wouldn't use an iBook myself but I can still appreciate its place in tech history. It'd be nice if Sup Forums could move beyond this fanboy autism.

>Not every apple product is a meme.
Nice meme.

>its place in tech history
You're looking for

>Not every apple product is a meme
>I can still appreciate its place in tech history.
Alright soyboy, explain what makes this literal fruity toddler toy in any way special besides its fruity toddler toy design and why it deserves any recognition whatsoever. PROTIP: You can't.

Meanwhile in 2001, actual innovation.

Laptop design peaked with the G4/first-generation MacBook Pro. Everything after that has been a horrible mistake, from every manufacturer. Not even Thinkpad is still standing, they’re basically chinkshit now.

>first-generation MacBook Pro
Apple was a mistake.

You’re joking, right?

...right?

I’m the biggest VAIO fanboy on earth but these were utter shit. Hand-crippling ergonomics and slow as fuck internally. Might run a document or spreadsheet without shitting itself if you were lucky.

>these were utter shit. Hand-crippling ergonomics and slow as fuck internally. Might run a document or spreadsheet without shitting itself if you were lucky.
So, macs in a nutshell. Makes sense seeing as Jobs just blatantly ripped off Sony design corner for corner.

>First commercially-available portable computer with integrated wireless networking

Vs

>A PDA

Yeah, real innovative.

As much as I love the cylinder hinge VAIOs, if you seriously think they were in any way tougher, more ergonomic, more reliable or hard wearing than the G4 PowerBook you’re very sadly mistaken. I’ve owned and used multiple models of both. The Sonys are long-dead and the Macs are still trucking.

Great arguments, you sure showed me

You have to be trolling. That is one of the most unproductive and unergonomic designs ever. Try doing a few hours of word processing on that thing and tell me how your hands and eyes feel.

>macshit
>still trucking
>past 1 year
Good joke.

School lab computers (especially public schools) have never been and will never be "good." Most low-end laptops can only barely handle two people using it on separate accounts, so pretty much any consumer-grade computer that deals with HUNDREDS of kids daily is bound to be shitty and laggy.
Don't judge an entire brand of electronics off of a single experience you had with a shitty, run-down computer you had in 4th grade.

>fully fledged computer with a pentium II running Windows
>PDA

>Garbage battery life
>Garbage screen
>Track point no where near the quality of IBM
>Hand cramps
>Most models had no WiFi
>Usual Sony reliability issues and quality control

It looked cool but it was just a novelty user

>MacOS
>decent to program for

It was awful. You didn't even have a tenth of the development tools available that you had for Windows.
Microsoft strongly supported third party devs (see the famous Ballmer speech) unlike Apple.

My county wasn't rich enough for those. I don't have many solid memories of visiting the computer lab in kindergarten and 1st grade, but I vaguely remember beige boxes with monitors sitting atop them. I also remember kids playing something that feels like Oregon Trail on them cause it was an education game.
I then moved out of the country for 2 years and came back and joined the 5th grade. By that time, we had gotten a massive upgrade to Dell WinXP systems. Pic very much related.

How does this make it a PDA?
My PDA had great battery life.

Sorry I wasn't the guy who called it a PDA. My arguments were more towards the VAIO - iBook comparison

>integrated wireless networking
It had to have that since it lacked proper PCMCIA slots, which most Windows laptops had (but probably not that Vaio you posted).

>Has never used a Mac for more than three minutes in a shop just to be that obnoxious sperg who loudly points out why they’re terrrible to anyone in earshot, let alone owned one

My current MBP is a late-2012 retina model and it’s doing fine after over five years of daily abuse. None of the VAIOs I’ve owned have ever come close to that. I’ll legitimately shed a tear the day this thing dies, it’s got so many memories attached to it.

>macshit
>last more than 3 minutes before catching fire
Try again mactoddler.

in your dreams

>technology company

Right, so the photo I just posted of my actual laptop that’s five years old isn’t real. Got it.

You want to talk about heat issues, though...

cheatsheet.com/technology/watch-out-for-exploding-laptops-sony-recalls-26k-vaio-pcs.html/?a=viewall

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1020346/sony-batteries-explode

engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-battery-recall-approaches-10-million-costs-mounting/

gadgetguy.com.au/sonys-vaio-brand-is-dead-but-the-support-lives-on/

>sony cares about their customers and recalls dangerous products
>apple denies any of their $200 chinkshit garbage marked up to $2000 can ever be faulty
>has killed hundreds of people and burned down hundreds of homes worldwide
>still refuses to admit fault much less recall

this

OP is a normie faggot

>A few isolated cases
>Vs tens of thousands of Sony laptops and hundreds of thousands of Sony batteries being a real and present explosion risk

And Sup Forums thinks Macfags are retarded brand loyalists...

They may have been, but no kid who used them ever liked them.

we had these at my school, i kinda liked them. they had good aesthetics for the time

fuck off sam

>*Sony battery explodes*

It's always boggled my mind how Apple always got Mouses so wrong and their Keyboards on the other hand were so great.

I loved playing oregon trail on these during indoor recess on rainy and snowy days.

What? Their keyboards fucking sucked.

I had an expensive Apple Pro Keyboard. It was sexy af but ridiculously overpriced garbage. Cheap membrane crap and a ultra thin fragile plastic shell.
A 5$ Walmart keyboard is better than that.

I had to use a mac in first grade for some really easy spelling and math bullshit. I just played it cool and never let anyone suspect anything until penis inspection day.

And yet despite all that it was more reliable and better than Windows

You can spot underage newfags by what they think about older apple products.

The Sony's are rather flexible, the only structural component is the metallic baseplate.

>first laptop with wifi
>not ahead of its time
nice try kiddo

they looked cool at the time, but I always had issues with shit crashing on the original Mac OS. Once Finder crashed it took the whole system with it.

Windows users just inserted a wifi pc card into the side of their laptops.

Your "revolutionary" iBook had to opened for that and used a shitty proprietary connector.

Who the fuck is Sam?

I am old enough to remember that people in tech world (90's fat neckbeards) laugh of those computers

Both a blessing and a curse, really. They pushed the flexibility meme way too fucking hard with some of the last models before the brand was killed off. I'll always be sad it's not around any more as I loved Sony's design aesthetics and some of the weird features they'd include no other manufacturer would even think of, but then again I won't miss the bloatware, structural fragility, heat issues, battery potentially achieving fission, and overpricing above and beyond even Apple machines.

Pic related, one of the most beautiful-looking laptops I've ever seen, but I remember picking one up in a Sony store and being able to fold the bottom half in my hands. Fuck only knows what that was doing to the logic board.

people are too young, they don't even know what they're trying to shitpost about anymore.

sony doesn't even make computers anymore
are you really trying to make this argument lol

I'm a little pissed they've relented with the design of their smartphones this year. I suppose they've gotten concerned with the likes of iVerge complaining about their "stale" designs.

Squared off, clean untextured finish, no bulging camera lens, fingerprint scanner in a sensible place out of the fucking way without cluttering the front/back up.

They're the only company doing this kind of sensible no-bullshit design.

windows users aren't capable of inserting that wifi pc card and installing a driver, I know this. I've seen it many times. Apple is better again.

Apple users took decades to work out how to use a mouse with more than one button.

I used to work in a pc repair shop around 15 years ago. I serviced a few different Vaio machines and I always thought they were really cool but when you'd go to download the drivers there would always be like 10 different registry hacks you had to install just for the drivers to work. Fuck Sony.

I get that feeling too, loads of weird drivers and software to get basic things like brightness controls working.

I wish I'd bought one of these when I had the chance instead of another soiPhone.

Trying to make your machine dual-bootable with Linux was basically impossible. I tried, someone far better with computers tried - you could get it functional on a basic level but things like volume control, speakers, brightness, GPU, etc just wouldn't connect.

This is why they put the wireless card in the laptop and installed the driver already, because most lusers can't do that.

Yeah it was like Sony devs either had no idea how Windows XP/Vista worked or they just didn't care and had a complete disregard for your OS and they knew better.