Why has modern web development become so hard in the last 5-6 years...

why has modern web development become so hard in the last 5-6 years? React - functional programming - Redux - Webpack - LESS/SASS - SSR - PostCSS - CSS modules - ES6+ - Typescript - asynchronous programming - Progressive Web Apps - NoSQl/SQL - Docker/K8 - Responsive design - Single Page Apps - Security - Caching

Web development was supposed to be for brainlets with no degree, how did it go to abstract math level in a few years?

Microsoft office became a web page

Wasn't hard at first OP, you're right.
Millenials over-engineered it.

Damn, is the job market for web really that tough now? I am learning node+express to switch away from embedded since it looks like there are more jobs in web, am I JUSTing myself?

Each of those should take around a day to learn. You might just be a brainlet.

It's not "abstract math level", it's just interfaces wrapped in interfaces wrapped in more interfaces. Basically, the reason it seems intelligent is because when something breaks, you have to examine about 100 different layers of hierarchy to determine what exactly is fucking up. (Which, in the real world, means that problems generally don't get fixed)

Plain js
Plain css
Plain html
Asp.net mvc/php/node

Worked for me :^》

This.

I can't tell if you're ironic posting that or not. If you're not, FUCKING >>>/REDDIT/

pajeets and community college students.

they find there meme approach and get others to latch on then sell it as an elite skill they possess or as something you need to learn. its fucking poverty tier shit now

I truly miss the days of HTML 4.01 before it was even approved.

Doing user interfaces is really really hard.

jQuery got it wrong, then it came Angular.
Angular got it wrong, then it came React.
React got it wrong, then... well we are still waiting desu.

Almost all that shit can be covered by create-react-app and Bootstrap. Things like Docker/Kubernetes you shouldn't have to worry about if you're doing front-end and even then the basics are easily googleable

Most of it is easy, what makes everything seem hard are all the ridiculous job postings that are written by clueless HR folks.

I got into webdev recently for some personal projects and have had similar thoughts. It's not really difficult as much as it is, what, convoluted? You look for a solution and seemingly everywhere you go, there's always some laundry list of gay-sounding frameworks and toolchains you're expected to use for even the simplest of tasks. It just feels dirty.

just use plain js and css
easy.
I swear UI is the most hipster shit in the IT

Haha security in a day

Put another way, web pages became complex enough to contain a functional equivalent to Microsoft Office.

>Oh noes! I have so many choices! It's too much for my ape brain! Give me something concrete so I could just mindlessly make my gay websites!
>Did I said I like gay anime? Yes I do!
This is how you sound like.

>Webdev
>hard
Pick one and only one. Webdev is just tedious boring shit where everyone just claims others work as their own.

hate when frontend code monkeys calls themselves engineers because they are not.

true, so true

No one is stopping you from using tried and true web development technologies. You don't have to learn or use all these pajeet and soyboy ridden frameworks.

Above listed are competing technologies that you don't necessarily need to use, not to mention that they're all rehashes and simplifications of existing concepts, shit's pretty easy tbqh

This guy gets it.

They get obsolete in a year or two, don't bother. Just learn JS, HTML and CSS themselves.

web then:
>request an URI
>get served a resource it identifies

web now:
>request an URI
>get served 5MB of javascript your browser needs to execute in order to, 68 XHR requests later, assemble an ephemeral, unbookmarkable, unsaveable "resource"
>fuck you grandpa, it's not a website, it's a web """""app""""" crafted with love by artisans

Fuck this gay world.

>he thinks reinventing the wheel every time you need to go to the store is the way to go

HTML5
CSS3 (Bootstrap or Bulma)
Javascript with simple VueJS and Babel
ASP Net Core 2.0
SQLServer or MySQL

And it's done.

>how did it go to abstract math level in a few years?
The web was a mistake. It is a giant hack. Be it markup, JS or CSS, each one of them is inferior technology as compared to normal programming, and so they are routinely abused and hacked just to be able to squeeze a bit of functionality from them.
What amazes me is that nobody wants to re-engineer the web allegedly because there are so many existing codebases that the switching would be quite expensive. However they don't seem to care about rewriting the site each two years in a new framework, and the rewrite is each time less compatible with older browsers. So in the end they rewrite again and again essentially to target the latest Chrome, Safari and FF. For that matter they might scrap the web and rewrite the site once a decade in a better desktop stack (Qt or similar).

My entire problem with web development is that nothing reaches stable maturity levels. Nobody can sit still for a minute and breathe.

In any other language libraries/frameworks are gradually built to a robust, confident level, often becoming "the" standard. Then they are maintained over time with new features and fixes, with clear milestones laid out. Things don't break unless they absolutely must, and you're made very well aware of it in advance. Look at Maven for example, any breaking changes will be warned of many many versions in advance, depreciation messages appearing in builds giving you time to fix your shit. If something breaks after an update you really only have yourself to blame.

Meanwhile in fucking bonkers web development land the way to do X changes every month. It's a kid with ADHD jumping around tearing shit out and replacing it constantly. Nobody wants to sit around and work on something, or work together making one thing that does X well. There needs to be 9999999 differently implementations of fucking anything. It's like someone collected a thousand opinionated retards, gave them a shit ton of meth and just left them in one never ending hackathon for the rest of eternity, except the only prize is continually fucking over the people trying to actual use their technology.

Compare NPM to Maven. Even the fucking build/bundling system in node changes at breakneck pace. I wrote a Vue app a few months ago using a popular UI framework. I updated libs a couple weeks later, the same UI framework had completely breaking changes with no warning. I had to check github to see what had even happened. No backwards compatibility. No migration plan.

None of it makes any sense. It's like continual non stop overengineering forever. Things break all the fucking time, constantly digging through github issues to find "patch x broke [something] paste [some random shit] in your webpack config to fix"

Thank fuck I'm not a web developer professionally. Fucking hell.

•web development
•hard

Kill yourself.

>asterisks
>web
>development
kys

>React got it wrong, then... well we are still waiting desu.
Vue.js
less than 12 KB compressed

We took static documents (HTML) and said, hey, fuck it, lets use static documents system to make dynamic client side programs, in the browser.

If you told someone ten years ago you wanted to make programs like an IDE or /* in the browser, you would be told to go fuck yourself.

Like half of those are frameworks, SQL is easy as fuck even boomers can do SQL, Responsive design is easily done in JS

all these tools are there to make making websites easier not harder

websites were harder to make (well, harder to make good) 10 years ago than they are today

if you're really that retarded you can become a drupal developer

as if you aren't using libraries written by other people for whatever you're working on, grandpa C dev.

Yup, and a regular mysql server instead of noSQL Joomla bullshit.

>dont know shit about what any of these things do
>WHY IS IT SO HARD
hmmm there's something here hmmmm

>learning es6 in one day

Not possible.

>learning scss in a few hours

Possible.

scss doesnt even take hours
learning important es6 changes is definitely doable in a day, but i suspect most here would be learning it from scratch

>Responsive design is easily done in JS
do you really need it? why not just use css grid?

Why React got it wrong?

css grid is just one portion of responsive design lmao

css grid + a couple of media queries
what more do you need?

This

Not really js scope is garbage among many other areas fixed by typescript

It's probably just Google trying to lock down the web so that their browser is eventually the only working implementation.