If I try hardcore to learn programming, like all year, non stop...

If I try hardcore to learn programming, like all year, non stop, could I be able to somehow land a job based on everything I learned without a college degree, or should I just kill myself?

considering theres a lot of people in my uni who are doing CS except they have years of experience already, you should kill urself or just go to school if you want a job

>work on lots of free software.
>have donation button
if you're a good programmer, and know how to market yourself(and who to) without being a shithead, this should work.

Join open source project and start contributing. The difference between good experienced developer and someone who is just learning programming is how much different problems professional has solved and delivered during his career. You can't learn that at school and I would bet on someone with a lot of experience every time that on someone who "just finished college". College is not really that important. Just solve a lot of hard problems in some open source projects that you are interested in, show that you can deliver and you are good.

It's possible but unlikely. Cs is not just programming but understanding math and other economy shit.

why bother overthinking everything, just go off yourself already

Not him, but how does one actually go about it? If I find a github of a open source project, do I just browse 'issues', pick one and solve it? How do I go about to send the solution to the author?

What if you can't afford college?

College is a scam if you have motivation, if you study for a year on your own and you've followed a decent path you should have no problem getting a junior position. Just don't expect a Google-tier company as your first job.

What would you suggest as a good first language to learn if I want to be employable? I know for web development you should start with HTML, CSS, and JS and then move on to other languages, but with regular development, it seems like whatever language a company needs is what you should learn. Is that right?

If you're going down that path I suggest you first look at the skills that are frequently requested and direct your studies in that direction. Otherwise you might just end up completely wasting a year on useless shit. Other than that, it can work because recruiters can see how much and how well you've learned things in that period, allowing them to gauge your learning ability. I know it works because that's how I've managed to land a job, and I did it with just a month of time.

This also works if people are actually interested in the thing you're making.

Python, Java, C# are all pretty easy to pick up and in high demand. Pick any, and stick to it.

Read up about how pull requests for git work. Also you can contact authors and ask what help do they need - most will react positively to this. You might need some help from maintainers on how to setup environment and start trying out things in case there are no documentation on that or it is outdated.

Its hard to say. People who can spend the whole year learning to program usually do it because they like it and enjoy it.
If your motivation is money and you have no deep passion and constant need for programming then you will not be able to do it. You will take a year off and spend most of the time shitposting on Sup Forums

First of all you need to answer yourself what do you want to specialize for. What would you like to do?
Game programming, Web development, Machine learning/data science, Back end business software / infrastructure, OS kernel programming, Security etc. Once you have answer to that you can pick the language.

If you were ever actually serious about trying to learn programming you would just do it; you wouldn't exert effort making threads and finding reasons not to.

fuck you man

where did you get this from??

this has fucking summed up my life so perfectly

I have been making threads on Sup Forums and reddit asking everyone how to study and learn programming and looking back in time the first thread I made was 16 months ago

dog shit man , if i had spent 1 hour a day

leave that , if I had studied instead of asking "how" to study I would have made it already

this user is god

Think of a niche and work on it right now. One good niche is being a js monkey, lots of tutorials and shit, and really good demand both in office and freelance. By js I mean something like React or nodejs or both, web dev is good in general, there is also mobile, android only unless you have a iphone/mac.

How to do it? First get a grasp of the language and ecosystem and try working on small toy projects, then move up to actual usable projects and make a portfolio with them. After you think you have a strong portfolio you can read about interviews if you want a office job or go directly into freelance.

This, cs is about a lot of stuff, and most likely you won't need that stuff at a job. Depending with what job you get, you can get away with a lot of stuff.

1.Fork repo
2.Understand the codebase
3.Fix or add stuff
3.Pull request
As how to find one there are websites that aggregate easy project for beginners, search on google.

Discipline > motivation

that second option

On the same boat. But I'm retarded at math. Should I not even give programming a shot?

fpbp

> I need to > I want to
Bullshit

good advice, if I had to choose I'd pick Python even though I learned Java first.

Sorry to burst your bubble but programming is just the modern day equivalent of craftmanship.
You can't pretend to just to things 24/7 no stop and say you're good, you need to learn from the masters and with time you'll become one too.

Fuck this "muh shortcut" meme

You make it sound easy because you're used to it, but that's like saying to someone who has never touched a wrench "just do an overhaul on this engine":
the biggest mistake a beginner could is pretend to understand other people code.
It takes a couple of years of independent toy-projects to build enough experience and proficiency with code and the language itself.

> tfw over the past three years I’ve tried to learn Python, JS, C++ and now C
> constantly worried about choosing ‘the wrong language’
> give up after a month
> choose another language 6 months later
> repeat

Why would you ever want to be a programmer? Being an engineer is much more fulfilling

nice reddit spacing, upvoted :]

>f I try hardcore to learn programming, like all year, non stop, could I be able to
Not if you try to, only if you actually do.

Most programmers use very little mathematics, just simple arithmetic. At least if you're going for code monkey webdev type jobs, like me. Obviously if you want to write a game engine or work on AI you would need to step up your maths.

You aren't learning anything. Not to be rude... I tried learning C++ before, gave up because it was "too hard." Then I picked up Python, learned it for about 7 months, all my free time last year was taking Adderall and coding on Python. But in one month of C++ programming at college, I am already passing the point where I was in Python, except that C++ can be used for industrial-scale solutions.

1. Look up college courses of interesting things
2. Look up textbooks for said courses... You can find last editions through filesloop etc.
3. Read textbook from front to back and actually do the review checks after each chapter.
4. Use YouTube to supplement

No need for "college"