What happened to the rock star?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P_i1xk07o4g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Radiohead made it cool to be a pussy

Rappers are the new Rock Stars

Indie Rock killed it. Now this is what people call rock now
youtube.com/watch?v=P_i1xk07o4g

it stopped being as marketable as the pop star, the rapper and the "reluctant" indie darling

Being a misogynist drug addict is no longer cool so now it's cool to pretend to be the opposite :)

It's all a carefully constructed image. From pop country morons to Desiigner. Images are neato, and oh man I'm pilled out and oh man I don't wanna be hear but no body knows. I don't even know why I keep writing this here.

people want their musicians to be relatable, not larger than life. rappers are the exception to this

Although not a fan, the Death Grips have kind of brought the "rock star" myth back.

There's a lot of similarities to Zeppelin there. To kids in the 70's, Zep was something of myth, believing their records had incantations to summon the Devil if played backwards, odd symbols on their records, Aleister Crowley fixations, curses, etc.

The Death Grips play up that mythology similarly.

The image is retarded and nobody likes it anymore. For good reason.

Nu-Male detected.

Well I don't

I will never be in a spectacular band, or a particularly successful one, but Vampire Weekend fills me with hope that I might one day be in a band that's spectacularly better than a particular successful band.

"Rock music is dead. Rappers are the new rock stars. They're edgy, they have attitude, they flash around big stacks of money, they ride in a limousine with girls hanging off their arms. I mean, we all love that, right? They make you want to be them. The point is that rock stars aren't supposed to be ordinary people. And then at some point, they became ordinary people. And the music got bland, it got boring, it sucked, and people stopped listening to it."

The crowd that glorified that behavior like rap and pop now.

The outsider types, bohemians, and those suffering from incurable anomie always found it silly.

Why has indie music become a bunch of fem-dudes. We need more masculinity. Otherwise my mom will keep calling my music gay.

>The outsider types, bohemians, and those suffering from incurable anomie always found it silly.
Witness. One Kurt Donald Cobain.

i think you're right. DG definitely have a mystique to them.

Just like Zep they're also pretty silly.

most of the "rock stars" back then made boring, bland music though.

He's not wrong.

>And the music got bland, it got boring, it sucked
>says one of the guys from fucking Kiss

fuck Gene Simmons though. his kind of rock star is the poofy haired faggot who likes to show off his Beverly Hills mansion and his stripper gf in a music video and then like 20 years later you see him on a VH1 Where Are They Now documentary talking about his rehab sessions, his marriages, and his 20 year old feuds with bandmates he can't get over. These kind of bands are always trying to make comebacks with new lineups even though nobody goes to their concerts but 40 year old nostalgiafags because their music was just a cheap fad.

capitalism. hip hop and pop are much easier to make than rock. rock needs at least 4 talented musicians with drug and marital issues. hiphop and pop needs 1 person and some production behind him.

rock takes time to write, while hiphop and pop can and do make new album every single year.

rock needs equipment to get into. pop and hiphop literally needs only your vocals, and it doesnt even need to be anythong spectacular for the latter.

rock, as chritstgau said, is listened to mainly by white males who are becoming a minority in america.

Because rock music hit a creative brick wall and stagnated until it's status of popularity was dethroned by other genres. That's just how pop music works, genres come and go - some stay longer than others - and the image they presented for the people who participated in those genres go with them.

You're talking in generalizations. There's plenty of pop music that's more complex than plenty of rock stuff. Not sure about hip hop but stuff like Drake isn't the only hip hop that exists.

Early rock bands would put out a new album every year or even multiple albums in a single year.

>rock, as chritstgau said, is listened to mainly by white males who are becoming a minority in america.

>piece he wrote in 1988
LOLno. You have no idea how huge metal is in Latin America.

>rock takes time to write, while hiphop and pop can and do make new album every single year
>rock, as chritstgau said, is listened to mainly by white males who are becoming a minority in america.
p l e a s e be bait

Is this a troll guys? I can't tell.

is it true? This makes me sad

People came to associate rock stars with old skeletons like the Rolling Stones. You think a 13 year old finds that cool?

Grunge happened. The current generation of 'rock stars' were all influenced by the likes of Kurt Cobain, so naturally they're all a bunch of uncharasmatic beta faggots.

That little fad killed rock music. I mean, it needed to happen to get rid of all that pop metal shit that was dominating the radio, but it spawned so much fucking shit in the late 90s and 2000s that you have to question was it even worth it.

i have an idea how big it is in south america. i was refering to the united states
>le bait xD
explain why rock is much less popular nowadays. my opinion might be shitty, and i will need you to change it.

>explain why rock is much less popular nowadays. my opinion might be shitty, and i will need you to change it.

>>le bait xD
>rock, as chritstgau said, is listened to mainly by white males who are becoming a minority in america
Males have always been a minority idiot.

He died at 27 of a heroin overdose with aspiration.

Rock was headed that way anyway t b h

Cobain's songwriting isn't actually easy to imitate for most people, so they took notes on his overall sound, and cloned. Bush came shortly after Cobain died and butt rock flourished.

If anything, you should look at Pearl Jam, as they were just as influential and gave a lane for bands such as Nickelback.

Nirvana laid the groundwork for a sound but the bands that followed were completely unable to mimic it properly, and you got corporate bullshit like Puddle of Mudd. It's capitalism. Find successful formula, spam until no one wants it anymore.

white males are becoming a minority among males overall. not there yet but on it's way.
13 year olds don't go to concerts. people of ages 18-40 are the vast majority of concert crowds.

Depends on the venue. Some are 18+, others aren't. Also I mean, come on. Kiss concerts back in the day were notorious for being nothing but 11 year olds there with their bored af parents. My dad was in college when they were at their peak and he said yeah, no collegefags listened to Kiss or Alice Cooper, their fans were middle schoolers.

For one thing, none of those bands had the ties to the underground punk scene like Nirvana did. They were just a bunch of guys assembled by a record label and told to sound like Nirvana.

Exactly, which is why they failed. They didn't have the roots or influences to imitate at least somewhat coherently. part of the failure.

Pearl Jam on the other hand were always proto butt rock so of course you had 100 pearl jam clones cropping up in the nineties.

i'm glad monoculture is dead

"We turned down Guns'N'Roses; that would have been a big waste of time. It's pretty much inevitable that the alternative movement is attracting bandwagoners. I don't know about Soundgarden; we hung out with them before and they seem like great guys, but then there's other bands like Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam that are obvious corporate puppets. Many of these guys were involved in the hairspray/cockrock scene for years and now they quit washing their hair, move up to Seattle from Los Angeles, get a record deal, and act as if they've lived here all their lives. It's very insulting to me."

Rock stars can't exist anymore. Rock is not a rebellioous genre anymore. Rock is not the genre that parents tell their teenage kids to "shut that noise off!" to. Rock is the genre that the parents listen to. Thus, a rock star - a rebellious, rich, no-fucks-giving star - can't exist anymore. They don't have teenagers looking up to them anymore.

The teenagers are listening to rap now instead. That's the genre that parents hate. The music the teens listen to rebel against their parents. Rap stars are the ones doing drugs, getting into trouble, making tons of money. Not rock stars.

Rock has become academic. It is dead.

John died, they stopped making more albums to respect him. Unless other crappy bands.

your a dorable

>this post
yikes

>yikes

good point user well thought out and really argued my point nicely

oh nvm youre a pearl jam fan thats why you have nothing of value to say

That was The Smiths, retard.

This sounds like Kurt

Fuck him. Jerry Cantrell and a bunch of those guys were involved in the Seattle punk scene since like 1985. Oh wow, they play too many solos, is not alternative.

>The teenagers are listening to rap now instead. That's the genre that parents hate. The music the teens listen to rebel against their parents. Rap stars are the ones doing drugs, getting into trouble, making tons of money. Not rock stars.

Is this 1995? Rap has been mainstream and harmless for some time now.

>I know some day you'll have a beautiful life
>I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky
>But why, why, WHAHAIIII OH CAN'T IT BEEEEE MYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOYIANANNNNYAHAHHHHAIYNEE

Yeah i dont really know whether rap is the genre that's replaced rock now. Honestly I don't think there is one.

Just wait until parents get a load of PC music

When you appeal to a demographic that mostly just wants the newest and trendiest thing they're liable to change what they like when a newer trendier thing becomes available. Arena rock got killed by MTV style pop acts because they were newer and trendier. I wouldn't be surprised is hip hop stopped being cool within the next 10 years.

Rock was rebellious from like the late 60s to the 90's though.

>he hasn't heard Alice N Chainz
>he hasn't heard lip lock rock

>he hasn't heard Diamond Lie

AIC and PJ were successful before Neverrmind came out.
Half of PJ were in the Seattle scene from the beginning
Pretending like Nirvana is some underground originators is one of the dumbest memes people keep shitting out.

Who's quote is this? Sounds like a dope.
Sounds like Kurt, but he was a fan of AIC.

Also aren't the kids listening to rock nowadays those socially stupid ones who want to rebel against their peers rather than their parents? That would explain why rock nowadays is full of uncharismatic people.

Jerry wasn't in Alice N Chainz
What does it matter anyway? Why does everything have to be punk?
It's such a superficial thing. Rock is rock.

>DIAMOND
>LIE

In NWA and Tupac's time, rap was new, fearsome, scary, and edgy. Realistically though, it lost most of its edge by the 2000s and backpack rappers like 50 Cent were the nail in the coffin. And actually, rock wasn't edgy or anything after 1972. Woodstock was the climax of rock as something dangerous and rebellious and it was all downhill after that. By the mid-70s, you had Kiss peddling action figures and bland radio rock mush like REO Speedwagon and Eagles.

And then punk rock came along

>50 cent
>backpack

uhhh

I remember it like yesterday. The 14 year old suburban white boys with sagger pants saying "Aiyyo, mah nig. Fo shizzle mah nizzle. I gotta vendetta wid dis chedda."

The horror, the horror...

I listened to one song and i wasn't hair metal at all.
It was like, I dunno, sludge country with some speed metal sections.
Again, what does it matter? This whole "if you aren't like this then you aren't legit" is retarded.
Why is Nirvana allowed to make pop music but no one else is?

Music in general isn't "rebellious" anymore. I mean that it doesn't have the ability to "scare" parents or anyone else; it's just a background part of the culture.

The only exceptions are WAY out on the fringe, and represent music which completely violates modern social norms.

So for example, it would be way more rebellious and terrifying for parents for a kid to listen to 1910's/20's-era racist caricature songs than it would be for them to listen to any sort of modern rap music.

I never claimed that you can't make pop music

You claimed that he was "in the punk scene" when in actuality he was in a glam band.

The idea of music being a tool of rebellion and political change was simply a fluke late 20th century phenomenon that we're convinced by now has been the case all along.

That was someone else

>The political message in the music is what matters to the public
I don't even disagree. It's sad really.

The rich white man couldn't control the rock star, so the rapping retard was created for easy marketability (urban culture, densely populated) and will accept any term and conditions in a 360 deal.

>a fluke late 20th century phenomenon

not even that. it was very intentional marketing.