I Contribute to the Windows Kernel. We Are Slower Than Other Operating Systems. Here Is Why

blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/

tldr Windows is shit and nobody can fix that.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/oracle-solaris/35653-linux-hacker-compares-solaris-kernel-code
blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/the-linux-scheduler-a-decade-of-wasted-cores/
ece.ubc.ca/~sasha/papers/eurosys16-final29.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You don't say

something tells me this guy doesn't get business
sure, a 5% improvement in directory traversal is good, but it's not mission critical
but if you're on a team dedicated to improving something that actually matters to people, you probably shouldn't be messing about to give marginal speed improvements to the filesystem driver

Your mentality is the reason why Linux will win in the end.

Oh yeah. We've been waiting for that for generations now.

Windows 7 > Winblows 10

>10 May 2013

I use Linux exclusively since 2006.

>I alone contribute to Linux's success

>doesn't realize that lots of little improvements build up into a lot over time
This is why Windows gets used less and less, and even then used more out of apathy than considering it the best OS. You focus on only the big shit meanwhile the rest of the system falls apart and gets slower, clunkier, and even more of a mess to handle or improve. This is why Linux is always vital and fresh and microshit is suffering from internal rot.

I've listened to non-American music exclusively since 2003. I'm sure the end of the American entertainment industry is coming any day now.

>This is why Linux is always vital and fresh
more like Lincucks have no stable APIs so no one bothers developing commercial software for it

>tfw you remember being in the original thread

So what have you accomplished since 2013 user?

>The NT kernel is still much better than Linux in some ways --- you guys be trippin' with your overcommit-by-default MM nonsense
lintards BTFO

uh huh

>The NT kernel is still much better than Linux in some ways --- you guys be trippin' with your overcommit-by-default MM nonsense

loonix btfo.

>blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
More important: The update system.

it's a server OS with a makeshift GUI tacked onto it and nothing more.

>Linux will win in the end.
It already did. Desktop's the last hold-out.

What, exactly, is it you think you're waiting for? The desktop?

The vast majority of cellphones run Linux. Routers run Linux. Servers run Linux.

The vast majority of computers are already running Linux and this has been the case for some time.

Desktop computers are the only area where it's not dominant. This will change when ARM and RISC-V CPUs become powerful enough to be useful for notebooks (already happening) and eventually desktops too.

really both kernels are bloated as fuck. even linus himself has become alarmed at the amount of cruft in the linux kernel. the potential for critical bugs hiding in linux grows by thousands of lines per week now.

>(Besides: you guys have systemd, which if I'm going to treat it the same way I treated NTFS, is an all-devouring octopus monster about crawl out of the sea and eat Tokyo and spit it out as a giant binary logfile.)
Poettering blown. the. fuck. out.

>Look: Microsoft still has some old-fashioned hardcore talented developers who can code circles around brogrammers down in the valley. These people have a keen appreciation of the complexities of operating system development and an eye for good, clean design. The NT kernel is still much better than Linux in some ways --- you guys be trippin' with your overcommit-by-default MM nonsense --- but our good people keep retiring or moving to other large technology companies, and there are few new people achieving the level of technical virtuosity needed to replace the people who leave. We fill headcount with nine-to-five-with-kids types, desperate-to-please H1Bs, and Google rejects. We occasionally get good people anyway, as if by mistake, but not enough. Is it any wonder we're falling behind? The rot has already set in.

Linux WILL probably win in the end, but it's because it's free and open source, not because it's technically better than windows. It just has to be good enough compared to the alternatives and it will win because of its price.
My point was that it make sense to prioritize, for example, hardware compatibility, drivers and having a good driver ABI rather than speed or even preventive security improvements such as stack randomization that the end user doesn't really notice.
This is why market driven development triumphs over development by hobbyist. As the guy who wrote the post says, amateurs basically do everything to show off to other programmers, not to please end users. The reason the Linux kernel developers have been so successful is that they're paid by Red Hat to make a good kernel for web servers, because their revenue is connected to that, and how many people are using it and thus how many people they can sell support to.
Kind of the same reason Ubuntu just works, even though in this case the ecosystem is much more immature, and also most users don't pay either for the system itself or for support, so the actual client base is much smaller at the moment. 90% of Android users (and OEMs) on the other hand do pay (they need licensing to use the play store and so on), so development has been much more successful.

Wow thank you so much for telling us this just breaking information OP

> Besides: you guys have systemd, which if I'm going to treat it the same way I treated NTFS, is an all-devouring octopus monster about crawl out of the sea and eat Tokyo and spit it out as a giant binary logfile.

this is literally the best line in the post

the only reason linux won is because it's free, as in no pay

linux is a pretty big hack job though. it also benefits from unlimited manpower and no workplace or corporate pressures or deadlines.

phoronix.com/forums/forum/software/oracle-solaris/35653-linux-hacker-compares-solaris-kernel-code

> "..The summary of my impression was that I was... surprised. Now I don't claim to be any kind of expert on code per-se. I most certainly have ideas, but I just hack together my ideas however I can dream up that they work, and I have basically zero traditional teaching, so you should really take whatever I say about someone else's code with a grain of salt. Well, anyway, the [Solaris] code, as I saw it, was neat. Real neat. Extremely neat. In fact, I found it painful to read after a while. It was so neatly laid out that I found myself admiring it. It seems to have been built like an aircraft. It has everything that opens and shuts, has code for just about everything I've ever seen considered on a scheduler, and it's all neatly laid out in clean code and even comments. It also appears to have been coded with an awful lot of effort to ensure it's robust and measurable, with checking and tracing elements at every corner. I started to feel a little embarrassed by what we have as our own kernel. The more I looked at the code, the more it felt like it pretty much did everything the Linux kernel has been trying to do for ages. Not only that, but it's built like an aircraft, whereas ours looks like a garage job with duct tape by comparison.

> ...the Linux kernel (scheduler) suddenly looks like the Millennium Falcon. Real fast, but held together with duct tape, and ready to explode at any minute...."

>Linux
>trying to win in the end for 50 proud years!
The absolute STATE of FOSSlets

windows has neat ram management. linux has none and linux will never replace windows until that gets fixed

>windows has neat ram management
Why are you lying?

but its true. as my ram comsumption grows windows ram management adjust to it and even compresses chunks of it. in linux i have to manually clear my cache because if i dont linux wont do it, leaving me with an unusable paperweight. give some credit user

What the fuck is zram?
Linux does the same if you enable that option. You have choice.

>something tells me this guy doesn't get business

He totally gets it.

>literally FREE
>the only way it ever gets used is if a company like google whores it out
LOL

microkernels are the future easily

Yeah OK not with systemd being unaudited bloatware

>you guys be trippin' with your overcommit-by-default MM nonsense

pls explain

>tldr Windows is shit and nobody can fix that.
blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/the-linux-scheduler-a-decade-of-wasted-cores/

ece.ubc.ca/~sasha/papers/eurosys16-final29.pdf

“I suspect that making the scheduler use per-CPU queues together with some inter-CPU load balancing logic is probably trivial. Patches already exist, and I don’t feel that people can screw up the few hundred lines too badly.”

>blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/the-linux-scheduler-a-decade-of-wasted-cores/

They didn't test that on windows. What a shame

Yeah and linux still has no software support. Call me when I can run photoshop flawlessly

>Solaris shill
nice one. wasn't expect that

Wine 3.0 already

Wine is shit. You waste time setting it up and it never fucking works as expected.

literally no one cares about ram management. if they did they wouldnt be using windows

>blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/the-linux-scheduler-a-decade-of-wasted-cores/

Doesn't this seem like something you should throw a neural net at?

ramlets do user

They do care about ram management though, they may not care for the details but they sure as fuck obsess over it. Hence task managers very existence.

compare this to the loonix one.

They use the processes tab actually which demonstrates exactly how much ram is being utilized by what.

>setting it up
all the shit I needed winetricks and dumb workarounds to install a few years ago just works out-of-the-box now

>the
Do you mean top, htop or one of the graphical ones?

stay on the ground. dont even try it loonixfag

so, what do you do when your windows cannot boot in graphic mode?

i plug a monitor in

dumb winbabby impressed by app manager

up your ass?

>
>64968879

you seem upset loonixfag

>We fill headcount with nine-to-five-with-kids types
Oy vey, a good goy^W^Wreal programmer shouldn't work for mere 8 hours a day and then get back to having a life! That's not why we provide free drinks, games and even let them bring their dogs to work!

Why do you ask? Are you saying that Linux has this problem often enough that you need workarounds for it?

>This will change when ARM and RISC-V CPUs become powerful enough
Doubtful, not without the capability to run x86 programs.

Yes but when Linus eventually passes away linux is also doomed, because there is no real talent in the industry anymore

What's the difference?

Eh, JayzTwoCents is at least as good as Linus.

Pfthahaha

They don't if they did they'd be using osx or linux. Windows was always horrible with ram and the last os to implement multiple windows running applications

PS C:\ Get-Process -IncludeUserName

There are some good pieces in Solaris. Most of them, however, are shit.

It'll only win if the dependencies games have on windows work on linux. It's as simple and straightforward as that.

fpbp

they are more stable than apples

Linux won a long time ago.

Are management types aware that literally everyone looks down on them?

>proof is 'redacted'