Who /nobackups/ here? I keep telling myself to do it but I've had hard drives work for like 10+ years...

Who /nobackups/ here? I keep telling myself to do it but I've had hard drives work for like 10+ years. It's not going to be the end of the world if it happens but I have some rare music and film that would be impossible to get again.

nice blog

>Who /nobackups/ here?
Nobody smart
>I have some rare music and film that would be impossible to get again.
Then fucking back them up

you’d could buy a cheap storage device and put your rarest of files on it then just store it somewhere safe

I may just put them on onedrive and google but I really don't listen to them much anymore. I just keep them for being rare (promo stuff).

oh! all my animu that i dowmloaded from one or two guy. never more

put it up on archive.org? If it's hard to get then I'm sure our children would enjoy it

The works are copyrighted and nobody cares about some unreleased film score.

On the topic of backups, I have an interesting idea for cloud-based storage. You encrypt your files and then they're shared in a big bittorrent system. Everybody gets your encrypted files, but they can't view them, and you have as many backups as there are people sharing your encrypted files. Whenever you want to retrieve your backups, you just download the torrent of your files and then decrypt them. The amount of data you get to store in the cloud is dependent on how much of other peoples' encrypted files you share. To ensure the system grows, it'll be something like, you share 10GB of somebody elses' data and you get to store 1GB of your own space in this cloud.

Why isn't this a thing? Is it not perfect?

I have had similar ideas to that. What if users with a chunk of data aren't online though? It would need to be adopted by a lot of users to work.

>you share 10GB of somebody elses' data and you get to store 1GB of your own space in this cloud.
So if I want to back up my 1TB hard drive, I need to buy and dedicate 10TB of storage just for this?
At that point why wouldn't I just do my own backups?

The benefit is having a countless number of people all over the world keeping backups of your data too.

If your house were to burn down or if somebody busted in and stole your NAS, you'd lose everything if you just kept it all on-site

I'm about to build a server to back up all the anime I can find. Right now I'm nobackups but in about a month I'll ascend to 100+ TB masterrace.

>tfw the rare J-rock I downloaded from Otonomai before it died is fucking gone
Just fuck my shit up lads

fbi don't like it, you know fucking pedo

I can keep backups in a reliable remote datacenter for far less than the cost of all the extra storage I would need to use your system

thanks god

>or if somebody busted in and stole your NAS
If you're concerned about this, why wouldn't you store it in a gun safe attached to the foundation of your house?

If you still need the security of offsite backups, I'd host it in the cloud with a reputable company AND back it up to two more hard drives, store one in a safe deposit box semi-locally and one in a safe deposit box somewhere without natural disasters, like South Dakota.

What backup software do you use?

You sure like your collection of reaction images..

>Why isn't this a thing?
because it's a fucking retarded idea?

Well yeah. My collection goes back to 2008. That's a decade of reaction images. I've also got a couple dozen GB of personal photos dating back to when I was in college that I'd hate to lose, even though I never show them to anybody. If you're going to save something, actually save it.

rsync, GNU tar, gnu mt

Can you create system image backups with it?

D:/Stuff/Backup 2017/Restore/Backup (2)/Personal/Old_Data/Stuff2014/old laptop transfer/My Documents(3)/Backup 2013/...

One day I'll clean it up
(No I won't)