Is it degenerate to listen to avant garde...

is it degenerate to listen to avant garde ,progressive or perceivable structure less music if i dont play an instrument and dont really know music theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jt5tRaV3iY0&index=
youtube.com/watch?v=IVZHNPyMhMo
youtube.com/watch?v=rMwPYMr7eJY
youtube.com/watch?v=j25gLTUwtlY
youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i mean i dont know if i listen for novel sounds i mean moretraditional songs dont interest me much

go away notebooks

No, these niches aren't secret clubs for the musically knowledgable.

Music is for enjoyment/relaxation.

but what im asking is if its bad to not to like the more traditional music like maybe i have a shallow appreciation for music

could it be innate to be attracted to more complex structure or am i just a giant pleb attracted to randomness lol weird noises

If your favorite composer is not Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart you are 100% certifiably a pleb, sorry.

well this is a bit poppy but not something someone would typically just listen to
youtube.com/watch?v=jt5tRaV3iY0&index=

i have an inherent attraction to OPN's music as well. sticky drama gave me an actual erection just listening to it.
you don't need to know a thing about music theory to understand what he is communicating through his sound. it draws upon the collective memories of the media-gorged children born in the information age.

I worry about being pretentious or a poser or something a lot: probably because I've spent 5 or 6 years on Sup Forums by now, and was sort of young and impressionable when I started. But I figure in the end, those insecurities are baseless if you do actually enjoy listening to the music more than other music and you don't act pretentious about it.

im just trying to understand why im attracted to something that should be over my head right? maybe im below a pleb desu

it shouldn't necessarily be over your head; theory exists to support music not to make it harder to get, so "art music" isn't necessarily hard to get into. also, what sounds good to you mostly has to do with exposure anyway. once you hear enough from a genre you start to understand it and appreciate it more, even if you don't have a formal understanding of it.

Try pic related if you want some darker avant garde

this link is unrelated
youtube.com/watch?v=IVZHNPyMhMo

yea thats ok but not really my thing

heres another song i enjoy it may be the randomness idk
youtube.com/watch?v=rMwPYMr7eJY

someone post something more difficult to get into

Degenerate to ask my permission to like shit.

it's not truly random. it still has a structure, albeit loose.
youtube.com/watch?v=j25gLTUwtlY
can you get into this?

ive been trying to get into this type of noise and kinda starting to get it from tuning into the textures and tones but is their structure here is this considered a song im confused?

i don't know

what part of the brain perceives music like rythym timbre and all that?whatever im probably just convincing myself i like it due to me desperately wanting to be cool and different or something

youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

op here man this is some deep shit user thank you

Most terrifying shit I've ever heard. Just imagining being in Hiroshima while listening to it gives one super negative vibes.

yea user sounds like death desu. whats the backstory to this?

Nothing, he just wrote a so-called sonorist piece then decided to try and make it sound deep by giving it that title after the fact. It's just micropolyphony for dummies.

>The piece—originally called 8'37" (at times also 8'26")—applies the sonoristic technique which tends to focus on specific characteristics and qualities of timbre, texture, articulation, dynamics, and motion in an attempt to create freer form, and rigors of specific counterpoint to an ensemble of strings treated to unconventional scoring. Penderecki later said, "It existed only in my imagination, in a somewhat abstract way." When he heard an actual performance, "I was struck by the emotional charge of the work...I searched for associations and, in the end, I decided to dedicate it to the Hiroshima victims". The piece tends to leave an impression both solemn and catastrophic, earning its classification as a threnody. On 12 October 1964, Penderecki wrote, "Let the Threnody express my firm belief that the sacrifice of Hiroshima will never be forgotten and lost."

Per wikipedia. I heard it for the first time in a music class as an example of post-war minimalism. There is actually a version of this on Spotify conducted by Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead if I am not mistaken.

>an example of post-war minimalism
You should ask for your money back for that class.

i'm more partial to richard's. it feels like a more complete work.

it was high school so both of our parents paid for it with our taxes

i think minimalism do to it being more structurless and focusing more on mood but you know im no music major

I don't get what degenerate actually means and why it is bad (I'm not talking about the actual definition of the word, I'm talking about what kind of context it is used in more often than not). Pls someone explain.

just finished listening to this, what a coincidence
on freaky eyes now

I'm a huge noise listener but I'm not a fan of that track.

I usually skip it when I listen to BBF

>minimalism
>structureless
Holy shit, no. Your teacher doesn't know what minimalism means.
HOW DO YOU KNOW I LIVE IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS YOU

i just like it for that SKIIIIIR at the beginning and that it sounds like a REALLY REALLY LOUD AIRPORT STRIP

No.
Admiring the aesthetics of different pieces and their layout isn't something only exclusive to music theorists.