/wt/ - Watch Thread

ROLEX Explorer edition

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=NxvRb2o5NBU

Properly boxing a watch for shipping:
youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri (embed)

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

g-shock.jp/special/gmw-b5000/
youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw
alange-soehne.com/en/order-catalogue/
ebay.com/itm/1975-PULSAR-LED-Calculator-Digital-Watch-partially-faulty/192466520999?
etsy.com/listing/550333161/soviet-gold-watch-poljot-de-luxe-17?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=watch poljot&ref=sc_gallery-1-3&plkey=29c353c894805cdf9f9cc4e652074854d0ebba84:550333161
ebay.com/itm/LUCH-ultra-slim-USSR-Wristwatch-23-Jewels-Gilded-Mechanism-2209-SU/282867064123?
ebay.com/itm/Wostok-Vostok-wristwatch-Russian-USSR-18-jevels-2209-caliber/323062352843?
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This bad bwoy slaps ur gf's ass and calls you a S*iko Male

What do?

First for the best chrono an user can afford...

This is now a SARB thread

Reminder that G757s are the best watches ever made

russian horology don't have this problem

Reminder you are objectively a massive faggot if you own even a single seiko.

>owning a watch when literally everything, even microwaves show time these days

They unfortunately have the James Bond tax, I ain't paying several hundred for an 80s digital. So I got this as an era appropriate substitute.

>whorology*

gr8 b8 m8 made me ir8 I r8 8/8

They're much cheaper if you buy a broken one and fix it yourself.

What would be better to get for around 3k. Grand Seiko Spring Drive or Omega Speedmaster?

define "better"

g-shock.jp/special/gmw-b5000/

Don't ruin a decent watch for everyone by being a massive faggot shitposter, please

Buy a Sbiggicks

Go and try them on in person. That will tell you how much you like or dislike them. When you're spending that much money, don't buy it without trying it on and taking a few days to think about it. There are many different options in that financial category...don't make a mistake that you'll regret.

>500 doll hairs for a casio
Dammit I actually would want to get one, purely for the memes

If you could get a Glashutte Senator Regulator for the same price I would say "Neither."

Nothing special but it's something I got for my graduation and I still wear. My companion.

Stopped by citizen NYC today. Turns out they actually five five a660 chronomasters in the store - first I've seen in a store outside Japan.

Hand finishing is not quite as good as gs but case is on par. Dial and indices are absolutely excellent and probably better.

how did I do? This is my first watch

>hand finishing is not quite as good
>but case is on par
>dial and indices are probably better

That doesn't make any sense.

>Nothing special
Yup

Shameless repost

>he doesn't know about the $6000 Casio

Can we post quintessential watch literature? I want to expand my library. If we can find ebooks for all of this we can zip it into a torrent or something. Any non-book but electronic copies of watch related information is also welcome

Watchmaking: George Daniels
Practical Watch Repairing: Donald De Carle

I would have bought that a long time ago if it wasn't for this damn date lupe. I could live with the date itself but that damn pimple on top of the crystal just triggers me.

>all these watches with GPS radios
>none show coordinates

Amazing. Do you find it weird that the newer Datejusts have polished lug tops instead of brushed? I feel like I could get used to it but still seems strange to me.

Why? Note "hand finishing" means finishing on the hands.

Jeez

Broken how? Buying a "broken" digital on eBay is potluck, either the seller's a retard who doesn't realise it just needs a new battery or the watch is purely fucked and not worth bothering with. Even broken G757s are massively overpriced.

Depends on which spring drive & which speedmaster, and the condition it's in if it's a used one. Personally I'd get a spring drive, as I already have a chrono with a lemania 1873 in it.

I'm going to assume the technology between getting the time from a single satellite and getting your position is not the same.

normally i shit on quartz watches in that price range, but that watch will literally be indestructible.

and the time and place log is EXACTLY what ive been looking to have in a gshock of this type in a long time.

My 5th Seiko. I'm in love!

I haven't really thought about it, it seems to fit the watch well. One thing i know is Rolex steel is SOFT as fuck so i generally prefer brushed surfaces

You could get the crystal replaced for one with no cyclops.

Broken as in dead capacitors or corroded batteries. There's no way to tell for sure but the symptoms for dead capacitors are these:
>Light works but screen is completely blank
>Watch loses time or LCD shows gibberish after a few hours
>LCD fades as second hand fills up
A good sign of this is if all the pictures are of it in the first 15 seconds of a minute or in the Dual Time mode
>LCD has low contrast

Battery goo usually makes everything including the light fail.

Yikes

More like gaygo

NASTY
VICIOUS
VINYL

wew

did your vasectomy work?

Watch Repair for Beginners: An Illustrated How-To Guide for the Beginner Watch Repairer - Kelly, Harold C
Watch Repairing as a Hobby: An Essential Guide for Non-Professionals - Fletcher, D W.
Maintaining and Repairing Mechanical Watches: A Practical Guide - Wiles, Mark W.
Complicated Watches and Their Repair - Donald De Carle
The Watch Repairer's Manual - Fried, Henry B
The Watchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe: A User's Manual - Donald De Carle

Thanks for the ideas user I'll keep track of them

Will this be a genuine rolex part? Or will it void all guarantee?

Ah, I was thinking more of the dreaded broken LCD, total non starter unless you just need it for parts. Is fixing a dead capacitor a relatively straightforward job?

If you can do SMD soldering, then it's a ten minute job at most.
Pic isn't mine, but all G757s use the same PCB.

>Properly boxing a watch for shipping:
>youtube.com/watch?v=7kP7SAXqiZw
tf

should have gotten a more basic casio, or a gshock. I dont even know what that model is.

Any recommendations on books that are less about the repair and more about history? Even about specific brands? Good coffee table books is what I am getting at.

>Good coffee table books
Get the Lange catalogue. alange-soehne.com/en/order-catalogue/

It looks kinda shit with no Cyclops though.

"The typical G-Shock tech featuring a world time, 1/100th second chronograph, perpetual calendar, daily alarms, and so on is spiced up with Tough Solar charging – autonomy is about 22 months after fully charged – Multi Band 6 automatic reference time synchronization for atomic accuracy timekeeping (synced up to 6 times per day, 5 times per day in China), as well as Bluetooth 4.1 low energy connectivity with a communication distance of about 2 meters."

All they had to do is make a digital watch with a stainless steel case. I don't need bluetooth on my watch.

I really like the Hodinkee mag 2bh.

Well, it is designed with the cyclops in mind; notice how empty the '3' part of the face is. If there wasn't going to be a Cyclops, they'd design it like the Seamaster, where there is an index at 3 and the date window as well.

If there's a Cyclops, a 3 index would make things look to busy...so it's one or the other.

>All they had to do is make a digital watch with a stainless steel case. I don't need bluetooth on my watch.
The Pulsar PW3001 fulfils that criteria, plus it has 20mm drilled lugs so straps are easy to swap. Mine is on a Strapcode super engineer.

It looks like shit with a date window. Any Rolex with a date is stupid.

Fug

Is there anything about watchmaking and movements and shit? Reading their announcement, it seemed it was going to be a lot of meta stuff I don't give a shit about, like style or history or whatever.

Yeah it's a super nice book they just send you for free.
I have a dozen or so catalogues that I ordered for free, but Lange is far and away the nicest one. It's an actual coffee table book.

so I got two watches today, my grandma's Chaika and my grandad's daily driver
chaika is easy enough to identify, the other one only has on the face ARRAS up top and 17 rubis down below, but writing on the mechanism is all russian 17 kamen, can't really take pics right now but can anyone help me place it in time?

Yep the history of some watches, evolution of others, some stories about cars and architecture, some stories about France, and some other bits and prices. It's a nice book that kind of ties together watches and the rest of the world.
It's the perfect coffee table book as anyone who picks it up will find something they can relate to or enjoy.

Ah, I'd rather have something just about watches. I'll probably pass on it. Thanks for the info.

That's pretty neat user.

Should I cop?
ebay.com/itm/1975-PULSAR-LED-Calculator-Digital-Watch-partially-faulty/192466520999?

>not working
no

Sinn 556? 104? Which is most reasonable buy from their lineup

104 but maybe spend a bit more and get the actually cool stuff (856 instead of 556 for example)

If you're gonna get a sinn (or damasko), get one that actually has some of that autistic german engineering in it.

etsy.com/listing/550333161/soviet-gold-watch-poljot-de-luxe-17?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=watch poljot&ref=sc_gallery-1-3&plkey=29c353c894805cdf9f9cc4e652074854d0ebba84:550333161

Are these vintage watches on Etsy legit? They seem to have better prices and quality than the ones on Ebay

Holy shit user thanks.
Is this the catalogue?

Nice bait.

Just kek'd at the "Poljot de luxe 17 jewels" thing.

What about it is bait?

Not a catalogue, it's a magazine they bring out from time to time with interesting articles on their various watches and other relevant stuff. Makes for a good coffee table book

The price

If I tell them my birthday will they send me free watch when it's my birthday? Can't believe I didn't think of looking for this sort of stuff, any other catalogues that are worth getting?

Do you know where I could get one cheaper? I'm just wanting something nice looking without being giant

Where to buy?

ebay.com/itm/LUCH-ultra-slim-USSR-Wristwatch-23-Jewels-Gilded-Mechanism-2209-SU/282867064123?

Most Rolex dealers have them for free, just go and pick one up. If it's not on display just ask and they usually have some in the back

ebay.com/itm/Wostok-Vostok-wristwatch-Russian-USSR-18-jevels-2209-caliber/323062352843?

Not really a fan of this one
But I like this one, thanks user

It's getting to the point where I truly believe that some soyko fans have something wrong in their head.

Anyone had their watch stolen before? I wanna hear some stories.

He comes across as a would-be chav but at the same time he's clearly autistic. Strange man indeed

>Rolex steel is SOFT as fuck
Only the best for your money, right?

I protect my Citizen and my virginity with impunity

Journe is also nice as a coffee table book. Journe and Lange have several pages of descriptive text and large photos about each watch, rather than a lot of 9ther catalogs which have a lot less to read and are more just a list of models and specs.

Same

It's not folded over 90001 times like senpai's soyko right?

You actually own this piece? If so very nice.

Link for that one? Can't find it easily on their site.