Any songwriters on here...

any songwriters on here? I never tend to have trouble with chords but I find it so hard to sit down and write lyrics - especially the first line.

Any tips with lyrics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eI_HRvs38c4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't think too hard.

And, only write that which you can express through no other means.

in my experience u can't force them. just let them come to you and if they don't then just make noise music and lyrics can go fuck themselves.

Sometimes playing only one chord is all you need to express your self.

Sometimes I just play a G major chord and let it ring out. Really speaks to my soul.

>play while improvising the general vocalization
>repeat until you have the general sound you want
>replace chunks with lyrics as they pop into your head mid-song, even if they don't all make sense at first
>proof read and modify to make everything fit together
Normally either that or listening to the instrumental and writing freeform poetry that you trim into lyrics.

The main thing that sticks out to me in your post is "especially the first line". Don't force yourself to start from the beginning. It makes you feel like you have to create an entire concept before even testing the waters. Plenty of songs have started out as just a hook or chorus.

Go out and live some so you have something to write about, get really introspective, drunk if necessary, and pull out whatever you have to talk about. Don't worry too much about rhyme and meter and all that shit, if it comes it comes, just let whatever you get down fall into the music and make it fit.

>chords
>not themes, riffs, or licks
you are already in trouble

oh yeah didn't paul mccartney do that when he wrote yesterday? and instead of the word yesterday all he could think of was 'scrambled eggs'

his replacement lyrics are not much better. they suck hole

Yea man I play noisecore and what eversion sub genre. In my opinion it's about letting your self be vulnerable and authentic, because if you try your hardest to make something doesn't matter if you aren't interested in playing it later. One thing I do when im making riffs or Bullshit noise (been trying to make industrial techno and noise pop punk still trying )is that if I don't see my self playing this tommorow, I drop it and try something else. Even if I spent hours apon hours writing something. So just write. Free write is how you start essays.

>Thinking you can't start composing a piece around a cool harmonic progression
Disgusting rock guitarist.

>hur les is mor

>song being built around anything but textures
fucking wow. just annihilate yourself friendo

everybody has their own method.

two things you definitely need to own and use though are a thesaurus and a rhyming dictionary.

What do you guys think the average time it should take to write a song is? I know Blowin in the wind was written in 10 minutes and some songs take years to write but I've written some that still aren't finished from like mid 2015

Only if you credit the thesaurus and the dictionary as co-authors.

When trying to write? I agree then you build off it. You don't just start off making complex things off the bat. Lol

if it's a starting point it's fine, but normally when I hear people talking about the chords it means they are going to play just the chords.

rhyming dictionaries are so cheesy. come on people pls dont do this.

>textures
absolute worst
melody is more important than rhythm is more important than harmony is more important than timbre "texture"

to be fair if im writing a song and i need something to rhyme i usually google the word for rhymes and more often than not a word comes up that i can fit into the next line

Yea why does it even need to rhyme. I'll just rhyme every thing with screeching.

going out and getitng drunk with a note pad and write it all down

borrow other song rhythems, play the rythem in your head and make up your own wqordfs

then write new chords to it

Which there's nothing wrong with if they're actually good at their instrument. Playing chords doesn't have to mean you're gonna play I-IV-V in straight crotchets with no inversions.

Are you drunk right now? Jesus reread what you write.

also, write a diary everyday, and I had to write essays for my degree, it really helped with my writing

to an hons degree in history or something

t. stuck in 1964

>melody is more important than rhythm
>separating melody from it's rythm

oh no drunk lyrics are the worst, here's one i wrote the other day whilst drunk.

>I hope they write about you in the history books

Cringiest thing ever waking up to that written in my notepad

It's kind of silly separating them like this because without rhythm, dynamics, harmony, timbre, etc.
A series of lone sine waves of various frequencies isn't going to make for a particularly compelling piece.

pic related
how bout you fucking go outside if you like "sounds" so much. plenty of interesting textures happen with earplugs out.

fair.

no
no themes no development, and then we wind up either wandering directionlessly or repeating redundantly.

>chords
why dont you just play wonderwall?

thats pretty great. straight edge immediately is only solution.
eleh

jesu, joy of mans desiring is still good in sine waves

I actually songs against poor timbres (for instance with 8-bits), it's a quicker way of finding out if the song is actually good or a novelty I'm going to wind up not caring about.

top cringe

I play in CGCGCE so sounds more interesting and is more fun to play especially with the capo

>straight edge
>musician

if you don't acknowledge that western art music in the common practice period is the greatest music in history you either don't know shit about music or you don't know shit about aesthetics.

music does not get progressively better with time.

>no themes no development
What is voice leading? You can make a series of chords sound like it has coherent melody line while playing around with dynamics, rhythms, etc. just like you would if you were playing single notes.
Why do you assume playing chordally is gonna have you wandering aimlessly? Whether you're redundantly repeating yourself or aimlessly wandering is something that depends on your skill as a musician and is something that poor musicians do while playing melodically too. If you're good you can make it work very effectively.

*tips fedora*

>eleh
Shit.

>xD look at this le idiot who thinks that there are le values
>le you le wear a funny le hat freindo

kill yourself

it doesn't matter what tuning you play in, if you play on an acoustic its always gonna sound boring as shit. I'm not saying everyone will find it boring but most people will

This is the gayest thing ever posted on Sup Forums

if you are using voice leading then you aren't *just* playing cords. you are playing chords and a melody, or multiple overlapping melodies which make chords.

k

What do you think chords are?

Sometimes being gay is the only thing you need to express your self.

ok so chords formally are multiple notes being played at the same time but what i'm talking about is the slang use of chords most guitarists use were you just strum those notes with uniform rhythm.

Do this at the end of the night:

form a complete line in your head. reword it until its great. Then write it down. Proceed to next line.

If you do that often, you will get better. Like anything, it takes time and practice. You will suck to begin with, maybe even forever, until you realize its not for you. But at least you tried.

Also It helps to actually have something to sing about. Sometimes you just have to take a break and actually do some life stuff, not write lyrics for months or years until inspiration strikes. Then you will have a reason to start, and it will all just flow out.

You mean how shit musicians play chordally? Yeah it is pretty shit if a shit musician is just playing their instrument by itself in general. That isn't special to guitarists or chord based playing though. Those douchebags who think winding up and down a pentatonic scale is cool are just as trite.

me on the left

I know, but that's usually what guitarists are referring to when people talk about the "chords" of a song, so it's what I though OP was talking about.

youtube.com/watch?v=eI_HRvs38c4

i just proved you wrong

>>>
> LaraFlynnBoyle'sTears !!GWAcbUWmiqI 05/18/16(Wed)22:25:58 No.64972818▶
>in my experience u can't force them. just let them come to you and if they don't then just make noise music and lyrics can go fuck themselves.
>>>
> Anonymous 05/18/16(Wed)22:26:55 No.64972836▶
> (OP)
>Sometimes playing only one chord is all you need to express your self.

nail the melody(s) first bruv

2 0 1 6

steal the rythm from a melody you like and use notes different enough that it sounds like it was accidental

Is this your first time using Sup Forums?

I said it's a subjective thing, it still sounds boring and generic t b h

I'm not that guy but I doubt you listen to John fahey since you made that statement or comus.

If you wanna assume OP is a shit guitarist then that's probably what he did mean. It's a bit mean to just assume that though and I know the op pic had a guitar in it but he didn't even explicitly say he was a guitar player.

Idc though. Sounds like we're about on the same page musically and this is more a semantic argument.

roughly. it's just that in my semantic experience that use of the word "chords" is indicative of a shit guitarist. like I haven't heard a guitarist talk about writing chords for a song and not be a shit guitarist.

But hey that's just my experience.

kill yourself tripfag

,aybe they're referencing that spammer who used to ruin threads with that sort of shit

haha i odnt post on Sup Forums much. just trying 2 help out op. didnt mean 2 do all that green text. whats the proper way 2 reply??

this is art

Overwhelmingly that's my experience too. I can think of plenty of musicians I like who play really well chordally and I've known a few personally too though.
One of the best guitarists I've ever played with wasn't very fond of soloing/single note playing. We were in this real poppy jazz band but it was consistently fun to play with him cause he'd messing around with loads of cool inversions and implying little melodies in his accompaniment.
I'm also a bit close to the issue cause I'm pretty proud of my chord game as a bass player and figuring out the harmony of a song on piano or guitar is a big part of how I compose.