After trying linux for 4 months, I gotta say its not reslly that good...

After trying linux for 4 months, I gotta say its not reslly that good. I think its only good if you are a ricer autist/guy who works with computers but honestly for the average consumer windows is just fine. My laptop is kind of shit but it can run windows well, I dont know where all the criticism about performance comes from

Can you guys give some actual reasons as to why linux is better thsn windows for the average consumer?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/fuhsjr00/bug.n
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bullshit you used it for 4 months. If you did this post wouldn't have been made.

Yeah, I did. I actually had some problems with my printer and wifi card, but youre free from believing me or not desu

There is no tiling wm on Windows.
That alone is reason to use Linux.

Then come things like easy installation of software and so on.

If you want fancy GUIs don't use linux

Windows has tiling support tho.

That is not what I am talking about.

I am talking about a proper tiling window manager, where you control window movements, shifting focus, etc only with your keyboard.

>I gotta say its not reslly that good.
Explain further.

For consumers its cheaper to install a free linux distro, than to pay for windows

>"Please tell me how Linux would be better than windows for the average consumer"
>"well I'll have you know THAT on linix yOu CaN mANaGE tHE WINDOWS SIZE WITH THE KEYBOARD"
I bet this autist is proud of him.

>Free
>Not owned by (((them)))
>Runs a bit better on older hardware
>You can control when it updates
>Restarting after an update is unnecessary

For the average consumer that's it.

I actually named other reasons, which don't depend on personal taste you raging homosexual.

At least for why I use it. Like I mentioned before Ive had some compatibility problems that I didnt have in windows. Also compatibility with some software I use in school has been a problem sometimes.

Yeah, these are valid points. Honestly I dont care about it and if you do, why are you using Sup Forums? Dont you know its owned by ((them))?

Come on, tiling wms can be pretty useful, no need to be a cunt

for older ppl, windows constantly updates with new bullshit and nowadays breaks shit alot more often. linux just werks(tm)

After 6 months of shameful dual booting, yesterday I went full linux.
Fuck MS jews.

>BUT IT'S SHIT BECAUZE X
>UGH NOO STOP IT I DIDN*T EVEN MEAN THAT

This is how all Linux only users sound to me.

Fuck off retard.

A tiling wm is a specific thing and it is has little to do with the floating wm with corner tiling on Windows.

I said "I like Linux because of X", the response was "But windows has *thing unrelated to X*".

>for the average consumer windows is just fine
It isn't, that's why people have so many problems. You have to hunt your own drivers and software and keep them manually updated one by one.
>I actually had some problems with my printer and wifi card
I don't believe you either. Those issues are a decade old memes that Sup Forums keeps repeating without ever touching Linux personally. If you install Linux Mint your wifi and printer will work without any input from you.

>the response was "But windows has *thing unrelated to X*".
Or "But why would you want to do that?"
Anything but admit any shortcoming in Windows. It's Gates playbook.

Windows doesn't have a decent terminal.

>Can you guys give some actual reasons as to why linux is better thsn windows for the average consumer?

No bloat
Customisable to the point of perfection
Looks better
Responds quicker
Most importantly, the terminal. If I want to ssh into one of my other computers nothing on windows is that intuitive.

I only use Linux, and have done for years, and can categorically say that tiling WM are absolute autism.

Fuck it, even if you install Xubuntu (the best just werks distro fight me faggots) everything works out of the box.

github.com/fuhsjr00/bug.n

>for the average consumer windows is just fine
>for the average consumer
Take your consumerist shill threads somewhere else please.

There is a reason why linshit has such a pathetic marketshare nigger

Why do you want to think of yourself as an "average consumer"?

Ok I'll bite.
>but honestly, for the average consumer, windows is just fine.
That is complete horseshit and here's why
>Be me, an IT practitioner at Uni
>Have to fix stupid windows shit on a daily basis
>One morning an accounting lady (30-35 years old) calls me saying she can't print
>I grab my laptop running Antergos just in case I need to test internet connection using a machine I know just werks
>Arrive at location and get told that 'the machine just doesn't want to print! It was fine yesterday..."
>Printer is in the network with a static IP address so it must've been user error. No way in hell that the system just 'didn't want to print'
>Connect printer directly to laptop without drivers or configuration, open LibreOffice and print a page with only a line saying 'test'
>It prints fine and the printer is seen by the laptop no problem
>Return to the lady and see that for some reason the printer had gone from under devices and printers
>Try to install it
>Wait for 5 minutes for it to download drivers
>Doesn't find them
>Have to go to Brother's website to download drivers
>Install drivers
>Now it can connect and 'work as expected'
>Lady tells me she left her machine updating last night before leving and that's when her printer started acting up when she arrived earlier that day
Yeah, 'just works' and 'for the average pc user, windows is fine'.

>average consumer
Neo Sup Forums

Exactly. Customization, package manager, proper scripting support.

Depends on your definition of fancy.

If she saw your laptop, no doubt she knows you're a virgin.

sad but true

Linux for me is better at doing exactly what I want it to do, doing it well, and nothing extra or bloated added on. There is no doubt that there are some situations that it is not the preferred operating system. Such as if you use normie programs or want to play video games.

I.e. a normal person and not an autistic, toxic elitist cunt :)

Linux is for the guy who wants to set up a service and have it run for possibly years without issues. Windows is for someone who wants to restart the service every day to fix performance issues and reboot for updates every week.

I've used Linux for a couple of months too and i definitely liked a lot of things. Everything works out of the box, but some more specific things weren't as easy to get working. For example, getting an intuos 4 going took a lot more work than it should, and even then it felt like it was being held by a shoestring. Some of the alternatives to industry-based software were not good enough or even compatible. Aside from that, a lot of multi monitor problems that I wasn't expecting to find.

All in all, Linux is great for a lot of things and I can definitely respect who chooses to use it and as far as common office work, it's a really solid alternative.

pretty much this. The average normie will tell you "they hate computers" because all they know is Windows taking a shit when they need it most. Unless they've used a mac, which is actually designed to just work. That's why macfags are so obnoxious, because they're tech normies who stopped using Windows and started using something that works.

How will I ever recover?

/thread

>for the average consumer
You mean some faggot that does nothing but shitpost on facebook and does "work" in Google sheets?
Sure thing, no license cost for most bistros, you can set up as many brainless web browser computers as you want.
Updates that don't take ages and force restart your computer.
Smaller chances of getting malware and botnets.
That's it, though.

what monitor is that?

Nice argument.

I am curentlly on 4 core gayming laptop on win10, i am using for 3 years, my 2 cents:
>fucking bload
why the fuck is skype, mccaffe, spyware, games and fucking word and some jewish programs in the background
>ok i will just kill some process
Windows crashed, becouse fuck you, you can't kill aprently program in windows, becouse win would rather let program eat all cpu time and fuck all ram then kill.
>why OMEN meme software is using 50% cpu
>i am in hurry, lets turn up computer
windows update, go fuck yourself
>memory and cpu hog
>good luck compiling anything from source on this piece of shit
Fucking CIA niggers

Well like I said youre free from believing me or not but if you just call lies this isnt really a discussion is it
Dont post anymore so the thread is less shit, thank you senpai

It's time for you to commit a few days to get hackintoshed, desu

All operating systems are free and if you're using systemd you are infact using contributed unaudited code be them alphabet agencies

>Then come things like easy installation of software and so on.
I fucking hate it. If I wanted have zero control over where are my apps installed I'd buy an anfroid tablet.
The installation process and the fact that you HAVE TO install every little shit instead of just running portable programs is what keeps me from even considering dailying loonix.
And what's so fucking hard in running setup.exe or unzipping folder?

Yes, God forbid actually learning something about the tools you use lately when you can, instead, stray aimlessly from cheap entertainment to cheap entertainment. If I can't just dunk my fist into the keyboard to be shown the next jewtube vidya, computers just suck.

>if you're using systemd
Big if.

> unaudited
No. Maybe not strenuously audited, but who cares, the problematic dangerous shit gets patched pretty quick when found.

Windows is gigabytes of never seen by you shit and overtly botnet telemetry-ing.

Its not better for the average consumer.
Its not consumer grade. Its server grade. Neckbeards bastardize it.

Its not the system but the normies who are wrong.

Its the normies who are fine with the entire internet becoming everything we despise.
Normies won't think for one second about how much they are being datamined, tracked and pissed on.
Even if they are "smarter" normies they are aware of tracking but are completely apathetic.
>"hurr nothing to hide nothing to fear."

The only reason I use computers is because they make some parts of my life easier. If they are gonna become inconvenient then I may as well not use any technology at all
The world is ran by and is made for normalfags, just because your opinion is different it doesnt mean its right

bait/10

>Linux
>download tar.gz of software from website
>tar -xvzf /home/wintard/Download/gayshit.tar.gz
>/home/wintard/Download/folder/program
>rm -r /home/wintard/Download/folder when you're done with the software

Easiest shit in the world right here