Was Schoenberg a genius or the murderer of classical music? Or both?

Was Schoenberg a genius or the murderer of classical music? Or both?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MLDyVkDJ5gw
youtube.com/watch?v=vqODySSxYpc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

neither.

more murderer than genius

The murderer of European art music was Beethoven.

yes, yes,because 100 later a drought was reached. But that isn't his fault, it's just how things are. Every genre reaches an end in creativity.

spot the person who has never listened to classical music ITT!

there he is!

Schoenberg was a genius who, just like the patricidal geniuses of 20th century philosophy, sociology, anthropology, and other scholarly fields, burst open the seams and allowed for brand new interrogations and transfigurations. We owe more to Schoenberg than perhaps to any other 20th century composer, though he isn't my favorite.

I bet you like Rachmaninoff, faggot

Yes, because Beethoven inspired Wagner and Brahms. Then Shoenberg realised he could never reach the level of those two, and so proceeded to murder classical music in spite.

Classical was already dead. He just buried it.

to understand how terrible schoenberg is, you must first understand how great wagner is

I like some of his stuff a lot.

>Scared himself to death because he realized that the numbers making up his age added up to 13

Why do we pretend this hack is worth anything again?

Should I listen to Scriabin or Schoenberg first? What pieces?

Also who's better or whatever

Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Myaskovsky, Bruckner and Sibelius. Among these, who is, in your opinion, the best symphonist, and why?

youtube.com/watch?v=MLDyVkDJ5gw
youtube.com/watch?v=vqODySSxYpc

Don't know Myaskovsky and unfortunately haven't gotten around to Sibelius yet, but
Mahler > Tchaikovsky > Bruckner
I love Tchaikovksky but his only really good symphonies are 4 and 6. I've never been a fan of Bruckner

> I've never been a fan of Bruckner
You need to smoke a fat joint and listen to his ninth on really loud speakers.

I can't seem to get into Mahler.
What's his most entry-level symphony?
I like Tchaikovsky.

sibelius.

Symphony 1. It's the shortest and it's very melody driven.

Tchaikovsky said Mahler was a genius after he listened to one of his works conducted by him btw.

>Schönberg
More like Hässlichberg tbqh. Also he was both a genius and the murder. He had great ideas but he had really bad copycats. Lots used Serialism because it was methodical and didn't require any creativity. Schönberg was able to compose consonant music too, his opera and Verklärte Nacht are great examples.

I'd say No. 1 as well

sibelius is the best out of all of those solely for symphony no.4

Symphony 1 or 4.

Hengelbrock pls record more Mahler
and more Wagner

Who cares. Every composer worth his salt with the exception of perhaps Mozart gave up composition before they started after realising Bach did everything in music worth doing. Fags will walk around pretending like Beethoven started something with his "huge" vision at the start of the Vth, while Bach did the same thing 100 years earlier with the d minor toccata, and people will praise chopin's harmony as if Bach didn't explore more in one english suite than Chopin did in his entire life

reminder that both beethoven and chopin thought they were shit compared to Bach

Listen to Mengelberg's recording of the 4th.
It's one of the best performances of a piece of music ever, and certainly the best recording of this symphony.

>Bach is good

>m-muh fugue

What's Bach's best quartet?

Bach only does so much

L'arte della fuga

>arrangement

>only one even slightly generally informed position in this entire thread of 21 posters
i hate Sup Forums
thanks for staying on here and making things marginally better, and thanks for giving the correct answer in a thread where everyone would ignore you

i come here to get mad

welcome to the club

Depends who you ask. Pablo Sorozabal for instance, hated his theories and believed his music to be unlistenable. His music is very dissonant. His music is very difficult and that does qualify him as a genius but at the same time he was around as Classical music became less relevant. Overall, he was a genius who was a small part of what made Classical less relevant.

>his music is very difficult
>this qualifies someone as a genius

Yes. As a rule of thumb, complexity does tend to equal intelligence.

>Bach
>wrote the d minor toccata

Murderer. His music doesn't resonate with anybody. It's just a mere exercise in style.

but complexity and defiance of classically pleasing harmonic progressions are entirely unrelated. i get the sense that you have no idea what you're talking about, since Schoenberg's 12-tone compositions are hardly complex in relation to plenty of neo-classical compositions

Jewish so destroyer of classical civilisation

That was Sorozabal's claim. That Schoenberg was too dissonant and complex for enjoyment.

Stupid Bach faggot. Beethoven's favorite composer was Handel. Beethoven's contributions to music was a lot more than one part in a symphony, you retard. He's the greatest and most forward-thinking mind in music history, and put out countless matchless works and changed music forever.