The absolute state of OpenBSD

John Carmack:
pastebin.com/xTxt9csK

Would you be able to focus like he does?

Other urls found in this thread:

facebook
pastebin.com/xTxt9csK
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/lang/gcc/6/
pcgamer.com/zenimax-statement-reveals-john-carmack-googled-how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't even focus on this pos

He sounds pretty happy with openbsd in general, should’ve used lldb/llvm instead of gdb

source?
but that lack of C++11 support sounds fishy, I know OpenBSD changes default flags and C compiler is -ansi by default, maybe he just missed that and didn't put -std=c++11 explicitly? But Carmack isn't such brainlet... Will have to check for my own before believing this.

oh becuase no source it could also be very old and C++11 support wan't there _yet_

/comfycarmack/

>fb com permalink.php?story_fbid=2110408722526967&id=100006735798590
6hrs ago, fuck

facebook com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2110408722526967&id=100006735798590

That sounds very much like an endorsement to me. And from a programming legend.

Carmack is overrated. Gabe newell's source engine is far superior to the quake garbage carmack put out.

Lel. Carmack literally pioneered the field of real-time 3D.

id Tech engines are always behind since the newer ones are still close sourced

>Would you be able to focus like he does?

I wish I could.

>pastebin.com/xTxt9csK

is this his way of saying What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little Linux User? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Computer Science, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret trials of OpenBSD, and I have over 300 confirmed genius programs I have written. I am trained in ANSI C and I’m the top programmer in the entire USA. You are nothing to me but just another Fat Linux retard. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of programmers across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare faced hatred of Systemd. Not only am I extensively trained in programming combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Library of Congress and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the computer celebrity world, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking email. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking linux is dead, kiddo.

>pastebin.com/xTxt9csK
it's based on quake that's the joke

Will 2018 be the year of the OpenBSD desktop?

>no TRIM support
I bet you he was running that shit in a VM

>uses outdated tools
>complains they're bad
did carmack lose his touch?

but still use them in the end.
What's the problem?

Little know secret: it has always been the year of desktop OpenBSD. I'm not even joking. It's probably one of the best OS running on ThinkPads (unlike FreeBSD whose developers all use macOS). The guys doing the ports of X, GNOME, etc. are all also involved in those projects

Most people wouldn't know that the "security / firewall" OS has great audio support with sndio.

.>>no TRIM support
Yes, that is a bit of a problem. Apart from that it's a good desktop system.

The other problem is performance for high-throughput server systems. It's still a single-threaded kernel.

openBSD is important, especially for their networking stack that basically every other OS uses.
But to use it over linux as a main desktop operating system is just hipster tier.

I don't see what's so hipster about using an OS I prefer

because you're arbitrarily compromising functionality.

There are many reasons why you would want to use it over Linux, Carmack even mentions one: a cohesive system.

fedora with gnome is actually very cohesive ( I don't like gnome)
So is something like ubuntu mate
Not everyone is using arch

Is lack of TRIM really a big deal?

OpenBSD and Linux both have compromises, for me Linux has more so I use OpenBSD.

If you like your expensive SSDs to run slower and eventually die over time then you're fine without it

Are you the linux-rt autist?

no

His wife was probably cucking him that entire week.
After all she's the one who told him to take a week off and lock himself in his programming shed.

I was thinking the same thing but then I remembered that Carmack is a fucking sociopath and she would probably be too scared to do so

Why are you so obsessed with other peoples' significant others' faithfulness? Has your boyfriend cheated on you before?

Here's another (You), nicely done.

Valve's source engine was built on top of valve's goldsrc engine, which is effectively licensed idtech 2 with extensions.

No, not at all. Can you read?

He most certainly didn't mean the GUI, you dimwit.

>I’m not a Unix geek. I get around ok, but I am most comfortable developing in Visual Studio on Windows.
Fucking dropped!

What a fucking hipster. Jesus Christ...

why? Are you just pulling random words out of you ass, and hope to make a cohesive sentence, let alone argument?

clang has C++11 support, but can't interface for shit with gdb.
g++ is some 4.x version that has no C++11.

>Uses openBSD
>I'm too cool for anything mainstream
>Should I get a new and more relevant book about NN or old one, hmmmmmmmmmm....?
>I should write everything in C
>I'm old
Latter one only hipsters state in any kind of sentence. Because no one fucking cares how you feel.
Hipsters do.

>no C++ 11
AHAHAHA THE STATE OF OPENBSD

Okay why the fuck did carmack want a "pure OpenBSD system"

autism

The text isn't that long, you know. He just wanted to explore that part of the community. Pure Unix if you wish.

the OS doesn't matter for programming unless it's crippling you with outdated compiler versions and things like that

Did you read it? He was doing it for fun

The last gplv2 version of gcc is 4.2.1 released in 2007.

apparently there is gcc 6.4 in ports but not as package
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/lang/gcc/6/

>I’m not a Unix geek. I get around ok, but I am most comfortable developing in Visual Studio on Windows

>Uses openBSD
"I thought a week of full immersion work in the old school Unix style would be interesting"
>I'm too cool for anything mainstream
"I am most comfortable developing in Visual Studio on Windows"
>Should I get a new and more relevant book about NN or old one, hmmmmmmmmmm....?
"In the spirit of my retro theme..."
>I should write everything in C
"C++ support wasn’t very good. G++ didn’t support C++11, and LLVM C++ didn’t play nicely with gdb."

He was doing it for fun.

"In hindsight, I should have just gone full retro and done everything in ANSI C.".

And so he damned well should. Fuck C++-Forever.

this

>prefering visual studio
how will vim/emacs fags ever recover?

Stop defending him, you hippie!

underrated pasta

Why should anyone care what text editors or IDEs or OS or what kind of food uses John or Stallman or Torvalds or fucking pewdiepiendn?
Are you one of these retards who sees his idol using 3 monitors and instantly thinks to himself
>Holly shit! I want to be just like him! Gonna buy 3 monitors!
>Oh, he uses SASV brand monitors!
This is you. Stop denying, because you thought that someone would care what Carmack uses means that you do.
Maybe not about Carmack but definitely about someone else.

Wikipedia says he is a dropout

You're an embarassment
>did carmack lose his touch?
How could you possibly come to this conclusion after reading his post??
back to Sup Forums
carmack hipster, choose one.

to old to care. he takes whatever he thinks is best for the job, so do i

Not anymore. Don't expect id Tech 5 and up to ever be freed with Bethesda around and Carmack away.

What did you expect from a bethesda fag?

>cohesive system
The first "mainline" release of doas has a syntax error, since then i don't eat their "cohesive system" bs. I tried to run openttd, but sndio bug and some gpu issue made it a complete crap. I would still use it for embedded cases, especially for iot, but it's a trash pre-2000 experience on desktop. Even SUSE 8.2 from 2003 is more suited for desktop than OBSD

I use Void myself. And yes I know it suffers from the standard Linux fragmentation but I'm fine with that. I actually prefer to choose my own tools rather than having everything bundled in from the beginning. Plus I don't really care for systemd or pulse audio. Firefox requiring pulse was the final straw that got me to drop it for good.

>I am most comfortable developing in Visual Studio on Windows
I though only brainlets use IDEs?

It's good if you have no fucking clue what you are doing.

That is a Sup Forums meme

brainlets waste their time on console text editors.

shitty Sup Forums linux neckbeard meme. most of those memers still use advanced text editors that have been modified with plugins to replicate most of the features of an IDE.

>people complain about TRIM
>they never try to implement it

>spends a week doing low IQ niglet tier tasks like following a stanford CS dept lecture on NN
>focus like he does
>genius programmer
>programmers are not nigger tier subhumans

brainlets and ex-game devs.

>tfw fell for this meme

ITT: 99% of ni/g/gers think they're better than Carmack. The absolute state of this board.

He'd just put it on one of his spare / junk ssds. Its not like he's as poor a Sup Forums

what's he done besides write doom?

Rage exposed him and id.

pcgamer.com/zenimax-statement-reveals-john-carmack-googled-how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive/

he's pretty overrated tho. bluepilled kids putting celebs like him on a pedestal when there are many other successful game devs and talented programmers that don't get half the fame that he does

Good news for BSD sufferers.
You now have RSS fans on Sup Forums, joining you in the "Things that you should have given up on decades ago" department.

>BSD users
>Webshit
if it's not in email it's shit.

I think it's fair to not know how to do something offhand if it's not something you do regularly. He's a programmer, not an IT guy, why would he know the exact steps of how to securely wipe a hard drive?

I'd even say it's not under IT.
Every IT department i've worked in destroys the drives in a mechanical shredder.

Sup Forums expert computer PhDs only use vim, C99 and Haskell in their highly paid, prestigious jobs, developing next-gen fizz buzz. 300k starting.

I'm convinced that Carmack is an autist

You choose the tools for the job
You don't choose the tools first and then complain that you can't do your job

He wasn't complaining. He wanted to do a project using only OpenBSD's base install and stated the various issues he encountered along the way.

> He wanted to do a project using only OpenBSD's base install
dumb

Nah

>speedrunners that run with restrictions
"dumb"

Art through adversity.

That's why the Star Wars prequels suck compared to the originals.
Filming in actual desert vs. air-conditioned blue screen studio.

so dumb question, would running openbsd in a vm workaround the trim issue? i guess because the hypervisor does that instead?

Yes

No

only brainlets NEED an IDE. Doesn't mean not to use one.

which is it?

he should've done something useful like fix og xbox emulation

What did gplv3 change (compared to v2) that prevents them from using those versions of gcc?

>you’ll never eat domino’s with john
why even live

Probably the addition of copyleft