Has anyone here ditched smartphones entirely...

Has anyone here ditched smartphones entirely? I'm sick of paying $360/year for a basic phone plan + $700 every few years for a handset. Not to mention how much of my life I feel I'm burying my head in it. I'm strongly considering selling it and picking up a dumb phone purely for calls/texts. What do you use?

Then do it. Why do you need Sup Forums to greenlight it?

I want to switch to a basic phone too. I don't know what to get though.

>pls notice me, im such a counter-culture badass but i still need the approval of bunch of weebshit autists on a Djiboutian basket-weaving image board

I don't. I'm just asking to hear other user's experiences and maybe get a recommendation for a good phone. There seem to be very few around now

Go be retarded somewhere else.

I use a refurbished iPhone SE I bought for $230 at the beginning of last year. I signed up for the Sprint plan where you get unlimited everything for free for a year.

I live in Aus. Every provider here is almost exactly the same. Every monthly plan starts at $29

worked

>merely pretending

There is (or was) a middle ground OP.

I pay $360 a year for my unlimited voice/sms + 2-3 GB/month data.

I'm using a >5 year old nokia lumia 520. It's not powerful but it works fine, and it's a smart phone. A current alternative would be to get a second hand popular android model, whack a new battery in it and flash a custom minimal ROM.

Nice blog, upvoted :]
Also I can safely assume you're some kind of manchild who """needs""" to play with its phone, hence the need of constantly new 700$ phone every couple of years. If you need a computer buy one

Ditching smartphones entirely for me would be a bit drastic because 1. I don't feel addicted / controlled by my phones and 2. I do have legitimate uses for them.

I did just "downgrade" instead of upgrading phones like I normally would, though. Spending a couple of hundred on a device I like and that does what I need it to is good enough vs. the normal spending several hundred on the newest flagship.

i pay $0.11 for 2GB data per day (60GB $3.27/month), but the speed is really sucks, tops at 5MBps

seething

No its just usually not worth the cost of replacing the battery

>What do you use?
nokia 8 got it for 370€ and I'm on a 19.99€ unlimited/unthrottled plan.
I don't use google services and I'm not on social networks.
I charge my phone once a week and only use it for internet/mail/ssh/message/calls.

Remove anything with social in the name, remove games and you're good.

>50$ battery vs 700$ new phone
>phone is more convenient
someone skipped economics 101 I see

>I'm strongly considering selling it and picking up a dumb phone purely for calls/texts. What do you use?
a cheap smart phone with a very limited data plan

I use Chinese phones that cost like 200 bucks (probably cheaper in the US). I can upgrade if there's a new model that I fancy, and I don't have to be worried about having it stolen or something, I don't have 1000 dollard in my pocket all the time.

I very little phone calls and messaging apps completely killed conventional SMS, at least in Italy. I pay 5€ a month for 2GB 4G, I'll switch later on this month to 10€/month - 30GB 4G.
Really sucks to be american :^)

>dumb phone

Not enough these days.

Get something like LG Wine android and cheap prepaid plan with minimal data allowance and just sync maps/drive/music whatever you use over wifi.

Form factor will make media consumption super uncomfortable while you'll still have access to modern services/whatsapp/music.

Worked for me when I had problems with phone addiction only I used 2.4" chink candybar.

my company pays for phone plan, but im cheap asshole and using some cheap xperia sony shitphone, get upgrade to some chinkphone in few months i think, 8gb storage is just to little

>media consumption
We all know that the average user owns both a smartphone and at least one tablet. It isn't really a compromise.
also
>social media

€200 phone, €5/month for 500MB, unlimited voice and sms.

Cheapest plan I could find, it's still too much honestly. I need some data for navi and stuff when I'm out, but I didn't use 500 even when I was a week away from home.

That includes the phone though, you can just buy outright and go on a plan. I bought a OP3T for $500 AUD and am with TPG, was $11 a month for the first year and now $19 a month.

>a surveillance state tracking device that irradiates your balls
yeah obviously i'm not retarded enough to carry one everywhere. and when i do it's in airplane mode in my pocket to prevent cancer. because i'm not retarded. people think their phones are here to help, they're not

Or go full jew, get fast microsd card like samsung evo (fast 4k writes are essential) and with link2sd you can move most of the shit out of the main storage.

Link me a $50au replacement battery and tools for a current high end smartphone

You realise the radiation is all around you right?

Don't play the retard card.

You won't need new battery until phone is at least two years old.

its more dangerous pressed right against your skin in your pocket

you can't eliminate the risk, but you can minimize it quite a bit

>replacement battery
look up on ebay or chink ecommerce sites
>tools
Good enough™ sets comes pretty cheap and it's really a one-off expense (unless your phone is glued on)

That's faily retarded. The power output of a repeater is some order of magnitude higher the one you puny cellphone emits.
But still, I see some one failed high school, to not know the difference between ionizing and non radiation.

Also to the record, light itself is radiation and so is heat... virtually everything. How do you live?

Why are so many people coming to the -Technology- board trying to get us to not use technology? If you don't like something tech related, leave. You're not welcome here.

Sup Forums is now consumer tech and software

No, because I'm buying phones upfront, and I'm only buying the phones worth their price. Even if they're flagships.

I use a Tracfone prepaid flip phone.

They're prisoners of technology, same shit like drug addicts.

You want to leave it behind but just keep coming for more.

>paying $360/year for a basic phone plan + $700 every few years for a handset
you're just dumb.

Well these companies doesn't generate influx out of thin air

I've replaced the batteries in three of my smartphones, plus one in my son's tablet. Average cost is $25, that's including a onetime investment of $15 for the tool kit

Tri?
Same here, wkwk.

You might try picking up a 5s or SE still on iOS 10.2.1 or 9.x on eBay and jailbreak it
Very usable, actually

360 dollars per year?
What the fuck lad?
I spend 200 per 4 years at most.

>I'm sick of paying $360/year for a basic phone plan
nigga in what fucking fifth world country you live, here it's 10 euros for unlimted calls, text and 2 gb per month
>$700 every few years for a handset.
oh ok you're an applebabby, theres plenty of decent smartphones for less than 200 and last way more that "few years" unless you drop it
>Not to mention how much of my life I feel I'm burying my head in it.
wojak brain.jpg

Dunno about your freemarket phone plans, but here in commieland, I can get a phone plan for 100$ for the entire EU. I have one for 200$ though.

As for a phone, you can just get some chink shit for 200$ like Xiaomi, they're breddy gud.

What did you expect from amerisharts?

Learn some self control you autistic retard. Uninstall every single social media app and stop upgrading to the highest end phone every few years. Upgrade when the phone actually starts to slow down and get something that's mid range, high end phones are a scam.

Check out the Nokia 8110, uses Linux kernel, is 4G compatible, runs html5 shit.
A smarter dumb phone, basically.

You'd think that Sup Forums would attract people with above average intelligence.

I pay an equivalent of 20 dollaroos for my phone plan with free everything bar the 8 GB monthly data limit, for my 2 year Galaxy s6 which works perfectly fine and also lasts for days with the S7 edge battery I gave it. Are you sure you're not doing it wrong?

OP, don't listen to fags like Ditching a smartphone was one of the best decisions I've made. I'd also recommend ditching all social media and methods of "communication" that aren't calling or texting. It makes people reach out to me in person more.

I use some old Blackberry Bold, not sure what model. Was $20 on eBay and only calls, texts and brick breaker work.

New android go phones might be something for you, cheap and low performance but still capable of using the messaging apps you want. Might get you to use your phone less, then also get a smaller plan, won't need as much data when using your phone less.

>he doesn't have a job that pays for his phone

I'm actually Australian, sucks to be us too. We have some spectacularly shit telecommunication infrastructure, in part due to corruption.

Different poster but no kidding i can't find a genuine battery for my old samsung s5. Called samsung, they told me it's EOL and im shit outa luck. Tried ebay battery, was a dodgy knockoff that didn't hold charge, depite seller having good ratings.

Please, link me a genuine s5 battery purchasable from Australia for under $100, otherwise i have to agree with the first poster - replacing batteries on old phones is expensive/unavailable.

Wew there lad you got memed if you ever paid those prices.

Smartphones are really useful when you go places though, being able to use Sup Forums in the city at a cafe or some shit is comfy. Honestly just get a used phone and get a cheap plan, that's what I do. You only need data anyway most people hardly call and messages are on apps rather than sms.

>live in germany
>buy oneplus directly from chinkland
>dualsim of course
>get a tablet contract for data
>monthly 10€ for 4gb lte
>get a prepaid for calls and sms
>nobody uses it anyway, 15€ per year maybe
>get away with a total of about 135€ for service and whatever you want to spent on your chink phone
Werks for me

This.

I pay €2,50 a month for 125 minutes, 250mb and unlimited texting here in the Netherlands.

I only use my phone for Whatsapp (the curse of the eurofag), some light browsing sometimes and downloaded audio while on the go so it’s fine.

Why did custom ROMs die?

This.

Except I abused a loophole and got grandfathered into unlimited data on a prepaid plan. (Telco used to offer unlimited "browsing" for like 4€ a month, but it turns out that it included pretty much all traffic on port 80,443 etc.)

>Unlimited talk/text/data on Sprint for $60/month
>Bought an iPhone X for $100

Because treble is around the corner

I went skiing in Japan recently and half of all the smartphones I saw were iPhone Xs, judging from the notches on the screens. It was bizarre. For some reason I assumed that the people with iPhone were Chinese tourists. I just had the feeling because of how they spoke in English to tourism workers and how they happened to be on buses to and from the airports like I was.

Go to bed.

I was phone-less for 3 years, then last 3 years I've been using a Nokia 150 for basic communication. No social media either. I'm not going to tell you it;s great, because it's pretty lonely t b h, but I feel more alive and "real" so there's that.

>being able to use Sup Forums in the city at a cafe or some shit is comfy.
That's called addiction if you even cannot go somewhere without the internet on your phone.

Which provider? I need something better than current prepaid.
2.50 per month is fine for me just for whatsapp

i use a $700+ phone with a $25 voucher that expires in 365 days
barely use my phone for phone related things so it's good enough for me

It's called boredom and people fix it in different ways. I once saw a woman reading a book in public.

>I once saw a woman reading a book in public
No fucking way. Reading a book?! Man that's crazy. I hope you took a picture.

Why would you do that?
Just get a pay as you go plan, don't spend $700 for a flagship like a retarded, and stick with $200 phones for like 3-4 years.
It amazes me how you guys can even figure out how to breath.

I'm still using my Motorola Nexus 6 with absolutely no problems. It's fast enough to be lag free and the battery life has actually improved over time as google has released updates. I figure I can continue to use it for another 2 or 3 years at least.

Pajeets ruined the online scenes with their broken English and shameless copying of other people's work. No one wants to develop with for those ungrateful bastards.

>Not blowing money on the most expensive things = not having a smart phone
I pay $7/month for service and the most expensive phone I bought was $300. Don't be a retard. Learn how to use a search engine. From there you can compare carriers and phones.

Pay for a cheaper phone then.
Only consumerists need a $700 phone when a 200 to 300 dollar chinkphone can do the same.

>only consumerists buy $1500 PC's when $500 chink PC's can do the same.

You're full of shit. Da pajeet is the Sup Forums equivalent of da joos. Barely any pajeets make custom ROMs on popular devices

The only custom ROM that is needed is LineageOS. That's why the scene isn't as active anymore. People are fine with the stock rom w/ root or they flash LineageOS. No need for tons of clones with small changes.

>your face when you realize microwave ovens cook with non-ionizing radiation
>your face when it's literally a 1000W 2.4GHz transmitter aimed into a metal box
>your face when cell phones are emitting around 10-100mW between 600MHz and 1GHz right next to your body
that doesn't stop me. I use a blackberry though, no Google botnet for me, just RIM's botnet.

I picked up pic related from Costco for $100 CAD in August 2016 (about $75 freedombux at the time). I can't really see the value proposition in a dumbphone considering this cost me only $40 more and yet is capable of doing so much more. I have access to the full Android app library, I can keep in touch with my friends over WhatsApp, check school email, even take half-decent photos assuming the lighting is alright. And there are tons of phones that are better than mine and cheaper. So there is really no cost argument. The only reason you would consider a dumbphone is if you lack self-control and can't stand the feeling of being disconnected.

Simpel

no but my phone is a dumbphone by todays standards. it has a really low res screen 512mb ram and one core 4gb internal storage and whatever microsd you use.

You made the smart decision, anyone arguing a dumb phone over a cheap smartphone are just being hipster faggots

>doesn't know how to use apostrophes
Opinion discarded.

I could care less I'm not a poorfag and I enjoy buying new tech.

Word
Although I think I would pay a slight premium for a flip phone smartphone.

>The things you own, end up owning you.
t. the bible, probably

I haven't had one in about 5 years because I literally had no one to talk to. Always ahead of the curve, that's me.

>implying that you would have been less lonely if you had a smartphone
Lets face it, no one considers you, don't blame your cellphone for that

2 euro for 5 gb or 5 euro for 10 gb
It feels good to be a euronigger

only the really poor eu countries have that cheap plans.

U jelly?

We don't live the dream of vicious capitalism and corporationism

If I didn't rely on a phone for GPS I'd definitely ditch mine. I wish I could get the internet and news and shit off of here and still get Google maps.