Why don't you use kDE? It's better that Gnome in every way

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Vifon/zsh-image-extension
github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>dolphin
>implying I use gnome
I'm not a faggot I use cinnamon.

Dolphin is best linux file manager. What other filemanager can split into two panels?

That having said... kde has worst indexer ever. I have one file that makes ot segfault. (Which means I segfault whole plasma if some plugin is turned on - and it is turned on by default.) I would create bug report... But I am too lazy to find which file and it is definetely nsfw file

Terminator + ranger

>Why don't you use kDE?
I fell for the tiling WM meme.

KDE feels like it has too many options, if that makes sense.

I don't like clutter.

Why have I never seen a good looking kde desktop ?

>Terminator
>terminal emulator written in Java
absolutely disgusting

pcmanfm

because they are too unstable, my russian gayfriend.
They are having too much retarded discussions with the nvidia devs because the latter ones are faggots and don't implement right even their own standards. Just google/ddg/startpage `kde nvidia bugs` or similar, and you'll see. *Maybe* the LTS will be somehow good - after a couple of months of tireless bugfixing/ad hoc solutions/etc.

that's because people who use KDE are not insecure basement dwellers who need to show off their desktop to boast their ego

i3wm4lyfe

konsole. Remember, it's a KDE thread

GNOME is way better

KDE hard bullshit I seen ever

>implying i use gnome
no thanks, i use plain i3wm

second that, dunno why OP likes inferior aesthetics, guess he's just a faggot

I don't wanna be this guy, but... Sup Forums memed me right. i3 + Gentoo + vim + alacritty + ranger. this is absolute madness / or autism.

why alacritty? It's not even stable yet

I use Plasma, but therebwas a lot of bloat so I removed most of it. Dolphin is shit so I installed caja, and do most file management via the terminal.

Because I use cinnamon

I do but it's buggy.
Often when I remove a USB device the panel freezes forcing me to log out or reboot.

I just like to try it out. Did not find a bug so far, however, if I do major ones, I'll go back to xterm.

>tfw using the best from both worlds

I tried it, but
> no scrollback
ok.flif.opus.cpp.exe.MANIFEST

switch to Lato font

When I'm not using herbstluftwm I'm using KDE.

>Why have I never seen a good looking kde desktop ?
Because you've seen the default theme, at least here.

That's pretty much what it feels like to me as well. Menus and sub-menus that go on forever. Doesn't help it's slow as balls.

Just installed Arch, what does it mean that the update will fuck XORG.conf, what Xorg even is. Fuggg

Arch is stable as fuck. Stop the memes.

>What is xorg
>Installed arch

Bullshit detected. But don't worry about it, it will not fuck it

>what Xorg even is
lul, you'll find out on your own

I just found an old computer, I thought it would be fun to install Arch on it.

Curious. About the only file management I do from gui are videos and images and caja's previews absolutely suck for those. Startup time is it's only advantage.

have you seen this
github.com/Vifon/zsh-image-extension
i only use zsh as my file manager nowadays

Thunar

>not i3
kys you'reself

>not using i3 in KDE

Explain

replace kwin with i3, get a nice fully featured DE with a tiling WM.

>try to rename a file on Thunar
>it segfaults

github.com/Jazqa/kwin-quarter-tiling

That's cool, but couldn't quite replace my i3 setup.
I also use this exact same i3 config on a laptop without KDE, so there's that.

Nemo

This is the only other correct answer. EmacsOS would also be acceptable.

>Arch
Into the trash.
Every Arch based distro I tried to use long term always fails critically eventually. I've been on Solus for 1.25 years now. I can't wait till KDE is supported.

I might just go back to Opensuse or Neon.

KDE and Gnome both suck. They're both bloated garbage.

A more interesting comparison is that of gtk and qt,

what's wrong with budgie? seems to me like budgie is the main reason to use solus otherwise you might as well go with ubuntu/debian/fedora is you want a more common DE.

>kde
>unstable
>clunky and inefficient ui
>hideous
>faggot-tier mascot
ill stick with gnome thanks

It's cool but I prefer the additional themes and extensions and customizations Plasma has.

I use Solus because it is literally the only stable rolling distro out there other then rolling your own distro/running Gentoo.

Opensuse is ok with it's rolling but I absolute hate the security policies it uses.

B-but, I do use it.

Why cant gnome just die?

The day KDE becomes the fedora/rhel standard and thus propagates to other distros, is the day linux begins to grow its community.

I like that. I want my OS to feel like a damn cockpit.

KDE is lighter then Gnome, more customizable then Gnome, has a better unified spec (ie cleaner seem-less themes across multiple programs), KDE isn't a tablet/netbook desktop environmen how Gnome 3.0 was designed to be.

Come chat to me when gtk4.0 and Wayland is working otherwise try Neon and eat your own words.

A FUCKING FOOT

>gtk4.0
how would that make anything better?

GTK is a real cluster fuck. QT has it's compatibility layer (ducks) in a row.

the absolute state of ramlets

Gnome did set the bar pretty fucking low though ;p

>it's better than gnome

no its not

>Dolphin is best linux file manager. What other filemanager can split into two panels?
Like all of them?

it's funny because gnomes wm is clutter

Yes. It's better than GNOME in every way. But XFCE is simpler. I'm used to it. It works for me, has for years.

The only problem with it is that it's based on GTK so it's doomed as the GNOME developers who control that toolkit - now more like a GNOME library - screw it up.

Well if it works for you there is no reason to change it.
Enjoy your freedom bro, that’s what it’s there for

I agree. I love the customizability, but having so many options makes it hard to find what I actually want to do, and KDE doesn't have very sane defaults IMO.

Is there an easier way to swap DE than reinstalling the whole OS? Thinking of swapping from Xfce to i3 or something

gnome has the most simple windows manager

Currently using xfeces but KDE is nice!

it looks nice and simple but missing all that functionality
for example split screen or integrated terminal

which window manager has an integrated terminal?

I like gnome's simplicity but the problem is that it's too simple while being bloated at the same time but I'm used to it and I don't have the desire to switch desktops

btw considering moving to awesome wm, do you think a colored border would be noticeable enough to distinguish between the various qubes/appvms at a glance?

I was referring to the pic nautilus

/* this post is my opinion please dont bully */

I use it, it works okay and feels nice to use.

Dolphin is a nice and comfy file manager.

Sometimes it crashes, but thats more on my OpenPepe pc than my KDE Neon laptop so thats aceptable.

Imo KDE has gotten better because Qt has. And Qt got a lot done thanks to KDE.

The only thing I don't like its that it is tied with a lot of dependencies.

I'll love to see more work into LXQt as well.

Another problem I have is that (some) mainstream programs are linked against GTK so the file picker is ugly but that's not a KDE problem, more than a distro/developer problem.

/* end of blog post */

First time using Linux and installed Ubuntu. Loving it so far. A good mix of GUI and terminal shit.
I still want to use Arch thanks to you ricer fags, but for some reason have a desire to try out KDE. What is the best way if I'm just now getting used to Ubuntu?

You faggots seem to like Neon a lot but Plasma is the baitest and greatest. Why not Plasma?

Nautilus, oh wait, GNOME removed that.

Installing KDE is trivial even on Ubuntu. I recommend Google.

Also there aren't really many "rices" that you can do on Arch but can't do on Ubuntu. The reason ricers don't use Ubuntu is because they already know what software they want so they have no use of a distro whose bragging point is having all the software you need right out of the box.

Get comfy with apt-get and install whatever DEs you want. Try them out and see which one suits you, then uninstall the ones you don't like.

All right, thanks mang. I'm going to dick around some more with Ubuntu.

Because it's worse than unity

how do I get my xfeces to look like that?

I don't use either.

Spacefm

it's not bloatware. bloatware is software that uses up all the resources without any benefit in return

with all that ram usage that gnome uses, everything loads faster since it's in the ram cache.

it's why fedora gnome runs smoothly while manjaro gnome is a sluggish piece of shit despite using less ram

I'm a ramlet and I have no use for the features kde offers

>not using xfce
Enjoy your pseudo Mac

I've got Tumbleweed installed on my desktop but to get it set up how I want takes fucking forever. Still haven't found out how to turn off window shadows.

XFCE has superior ram usage

Nautilus on Fedora has it

>wtf is xorg.conf
something obsoleted

what's the point of having kde without dolphin

>get a nice fully featured DE with an ugly window border

maybe you're just retarded

pacman -S i3

>everything loads faster
WRONG

everything loads slower because gnome hoard the ram and (You)r programs (FF, gcc, etc) can't access it so swap is used

amdfags will never know what nvidia-xconfig is

I use GNOME because I like, support and develop software on the GTK+ toolkit that includes GIO, Cairo, GLib, Vala (language) all of them supported by Redhat Inc.
All of them full of features that Qt fags dream to have.

Vifm

Use zsh too, haven't opened an image locally in months without it being for wallpaper.