Mfw trying to get a job

So I decide to quit the neet life, go to interview for a dev job.
Guy says he's satisfied so they will send me an assessment, the thing is basically free work for them without any guaranty that I'll get the job.
What would a gentooman do ? I'm thinking of telling them that I don't work for free.

Tech job interviews thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

underhanded-c.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Uhm, just do the assignment to proof you can do the work and don't give them the actual files until you either get the job or get paid for it.

You are not getting paid for it, thus it belongs to you - just add a copyright/license.

underhanded-c.org
This is much easier in webshit or C++

If you don't get the job it's because someone else did the same assessment better, which means that they won't use your work anyway and you've basically cost them time.

I do not get your attitude towards this. If you do your best work on this for 'free,' your reward will be a lucrative career going forward. If you don't get it, set your standards lower and try again.

I understand a code test like many corporates do nowadays but here it's clearly their current project.

that's a cool idea

Well, they are looking for someone to help with their current projects, so obviously they do an assessment based on that.
user, just go with it, not everyone is out to get you.

>not everyone is out to get you

dude they're not gonna hand you real work for an assessment, and "I don't work for free" makes you look like a huge asshole. Yeah, you want to get paid, but this is pretty standard so they can tell you know what the hell you're talking about. Do it confidently and explain how you solved the problem and why you did it that way and be humble about it. Charm them. Then you'll get the job.

t. old business guy

No one who is sane/knowledgeable is going to hire a dev without testing that dev first.

Different companies test differently. They are highly unlikely to give you actual code from an actual project.

>dude just do the fucking assessment.

Some seniors test people to make sure you're not a brainlet.

Seriously your Degree means nothing to me when you're not capable of critical thinking.

>make sure you're not a brainlet
sometimes I wonder

Whenever the team at my company gets stuck on something they put out ads saying "hiring" and send the problem to applicants to solve until one of them gets it working and then they turn them all down

This is how the tech industry will crash and burn.

>coding exercise yay!
>spend 2 hours for yet another application
>all tests pass
>finish

next day

>sorry to inform you we've evaluated the solution and it does not pass the minimum requirements
>cool, any feedback which areas need improving, possibly share a canonical solution to learn from?
>no reply ...

This should really be against the law

Yeah that's about what I suspected.

Hiring manager here,
>cool, any feedback which areas need improving, possibly share a canonical solution to learn from?
We literally are not allowed to give reasons why we didn't go with you. We could be sued for discrimination if we said why because of this shitty litigious society we live in.

no goblino here though

why would it be a case if they showed me what's wrong with my solution? Let's just suppose they can and they are not indeed discriminating me (why would they test me in the first place if they were doing that)

Different hiring manager here. It could be literally any number of reasons, not even related to the code you submitted.

Attitude during interview, not being able to express the ideas verbally or present them on a whiteboard, etc, etc.

Or there could be nothing wrong at all and someone else just interviewed better.

The hiring process is a shitty, shitty thing.

capitalism was a mistake

it was a hackerrank test which is pretty objective (apart from they don't show all the edge cases upfront). Thing is, if they have a legit reason they can share it obviously, if they indeed try to cover up something with bullshit, that's not nice, Which brings me to my original point: it should against the law

It could be bad luck. The guy before me would throw away random resumes because those candidates "had bad luck and we don't want candidates with bad luck."
The pendulum swung the other way with a new HR manager though and we stopped getting hardly any candidates. This ended up being because HR would throw resumes in the circular file because they didn't meet a massive number of "hard" requirements (reqs that must be met, not recommendations).
Hiring fucking sucks man

I agree man. It would be helpful for a number of people to hear where they need to improve, but like pointed out, society is fucked and could result in the business being sued for discrimination.

It's helpful sometimes to fall back on when a candidate can't fucking speak english, but it would be helpful for instances like yours where there could be some benefit for 'hey where can I improve?'

The flip side of that coin is not everyone (most?) wouldn't be too receptive to hearing feedback from an employer that just declined their application.

A test assignment as part of the interview is standard practice.