/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-jdslabs-the-element-24-bit
amazon.com/adapter-Microphone-Universal-Android-headphone/dp/B01HB9H4LK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520265554&sr=8-4&keywords=vmoda mic
youtube.com/watch?v=TPYqrVDlc_4
youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8
headnhifi.com/diy-kits/o2-kit-full
headnhifi.com/diy-kits/o2-parts-kit
my.mixtape.moe/fiqlbq.flac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I really like my he500

Why Schiit makes the best products on the market? Is it beacuse they have some new secret technologies?

You should have bought a decent DAC/amp before going all mid-fi on the headphones.

I agree but the dac x6 was supposed to be that. m50 is from 2009, dt990 is from 2014. I upgraded from a dragon fly black(horrible little thing) to the x6.
When I found out about the FR flaws it has I had one measured and created an EQ to compensate for the droop which improved it tremendously.
Ordering a nfb11 when I get paid on Friday.

will the o2 have trouble driving anything? should i wait for magni 3 measurements or get the element instead of an oldac+o2

Is there a form or guide here for speakers? What are the HD800S of speakers?

Pic unrelated.

Just received the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio.
Nice. Build quality feels good in the hand. A lot of metal. As expected comfort is also way over the usual closed headphone of that range, fabric pads > pleather.
It has the trademark Beyer treble peak. I like it but it's understandable if someone feels offense to it. Bass on the other hand can be customized and it's not a gimmick, it works just as it says, By default it's set to a DT770 level of bass. You can either boost it a little (there's four stops, default is open at the third), or completely neuter it.
Removeable cable is nice, and that alone is worth buying this headphone over the DT770 IMHO.
To the guy who was interested in this headphone a couple threads ago : yes, it can definitely sound acceptable out of a smartphone if you listen to loud recordings. Honor 8 makes it sound as loud as I ever need a headphone to be for stuff like metal and EDM. It's not going to be satisfying without an amp if you listen to softer recordings like classical though.

The O2 will power anything fine, unless you're one of the few 2000-ohms Sennheiser owner (even then I think some user had one here and said the O2 was fine with it too).
I think it's also on sale on Massdrop with all of the JDS Labs upgrade, so that's what I'd get.
Well I wouldn't advice going for the NFB11 either. Get the Massdrop THX amp, much better. Any DAC will perform fine, UMC204, Sabre ES90x8 boards or even go balls deep for the Topping D50.
NFB11, for all we know might be just as good as your current DAC X6. It's mainly adviced by Reddit which also adviced only Schiit devices until not long ago.

These two just came in. I like the MSR7 more and I'll be sending the B&O back.

>I'll be sending the B&O back
the only kind of people who would keep danish fashionista garbage is the sort that never heard other headphones. You did the right thing buying two.

>For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Well, looks like /csg/ is here now

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
>shoes
So wrong.
Next red-colored pill to digest is the open over-ear pill. HD600 is suggested.

looks like RegularOP is not doing his OP job.

I have the Takstar HI2050s, HD598s, and the SHP9500 at the moment.
I'd probably get the K712 Pros over the HD600 if I were to buy another open over ear (cheaper here in the UK) plus I've never tried AKG before.

>hd598+shp9500
Get HD600. Seriously do. It's the natural upgrade for and it'll make these two obsolete, freeing them for sale.
>k712
Is a totally different kind of headphone, heavily colored instead of neutral.
>cheaper
But they're not HD600, they're absolutely unrelated.

I'll think about it. Right now I'm happy though. One day I'll get around to selling the hd598 and shp9500 and purchasing the hd600

The hd600 user is right. If you're in love with the sound of things like the SHP you probably won't be able to handle any other headphone. On the other hand if you found the SHP boring then the AKG or anything else would be an upgrade over Sennheiser.

Remember I came from HD598 too, used them for three years and loved them.
But then I got the HD600, and it runs laps around it. Been one year with HD600, and when I try HD598 back, they do seem plain crap.

Redpill me on this lil nibba right here. It's the RBH HP2/45mm Beryllium Acoustic.

I've heard these have some fatass bass, how are the mids and treble though? I want a headphone with jamal-tier sub-bass but not bloated midbass which fucks up the mids.

A lot, lot of things make the 598 look like crap.

First off, I don't know too much about headphones.
I got to try out bose quietcomfort 35 II and they are the most comfortable and best sounding thing I even put on my head. Since they are quite expensive I was wondering if there is a headphone with these attributes but for a bit less money. I was considering bose quietcomfort 25 assuming there isn't much difference in the sound.
In general I'm looking for a bassy or v shape signature

The red pill is that buying from more obscure manufacturers makes it annoying to get replacement parts down the line. If you want a Jamal approved headphone get the HD380.

How comfy on a scale from 1-10?

With Bose you pay a lot of money for noise cancelling not sound quality. Build is also pretty crap and the qc35 becomes useless once it's battery dies. It can't be swapped and they don't sell replacements. QC25 has swappable batteries though.

those are ugly as fuck and the distortion graph makes me physically ill
any other recommendations?

But HD600 manages to do it while sounding overall "similar" signature-wise, thus shows it really well.

Commiefornia is full fucking retard. The products may contain trace amounts of things that are bad for you in large quantities. To them this means that they have to label it as causing cancer. The irony in all of this is that many food products (fruits) also contain trace amounts of various things that would cause cancer.

Are these to use indoors? outdoors? On the go? At home? At the office? What's your budget?
Do fill the form.
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Right, so any recommendations for cheaper noise cancelling headphones? Or is the qc25 one of the best atm? I should be able to wear it for 10h+ without any discomfort on the ears

6/10, average.
I'm not an expert on jamal approved headphones, moreover there's not a whole lot of respectable manufacturers with good customer service and parts distribution that makes this sort of headphone in the first place.

nullI thought the nfb11 would be ideal for my planars because it's a current conveyor amplifier. I'm not using assdrop because I'm inpatient, I have been waiting for the chance to replace the dac x6 forever.
As far as we know the nfb11 is even better than the magni 3 amp wise because at least it gives you control over the digital filters.
I appreciate the advice but my plan is to buy the nfb11 and compare it to my fixed dacx6. If no audible difference or it's a downgrade I'm just going to sell it because their resale is actually higher than their purchasing price due to the fucked purchasing process.
Topping d50 isn't out yet and there isn't an amp I feel comfortable enough buying to pair with it or I would maybe consider waiting for it.
There's the element but I keep hearing nothing but bad things about the o2 so I'm going to skip it.
The way I look at it the two best options are:
1) NFb11/r2r11
2)Topping d30(or other known-good dac) + magni 3

>Right, so any recommendations for cheaper noise cancelling headphones? Or is the qc25 one of the best atm? I should be able to wear it for 10h+ without any discomfort on the ears
If you care for noise cancelling there is only one other serious competitor, Sony, on their latest models. the other NC headphones don't have good enough NC to justify their existence.

>I keep hearing nothing but bad things about the o2
Looks like you read too much SBAF.

Element and O2 are completely different. Only reason to avoid is if you can't tolerate keeping your phone a couple feet away to prevent interference.

nullAre there measurements of the element? If there are no measurements of the magni 3, element, etc then I'd rather just get the nfb11 since I know it at least sounds good from a couple of my friends opinions who have heard everything under the sun.

>null
Stop fucking doing this.
Yes there are measurements, on SBAF and from the manufacturer.

It's not on purpose its some bug with 4chanx

ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-jdslabs-the-element-24-bit

So is this good or what? Flat FR to 20khz, ~-120 noise floor.
How does it compare to a topping d30, d50, etc?
I'm just some mutt that listens to vocal trance, progressive, and house all day.

What options do I have if I want to use real headphones, don't want to pay £45 for a ModMic, and don't want to use a lapel/desk mic because who the hell wants to listen to me type all day with variable sound levels?

Are there any alternatives for something like a Modmic that aren't so outrageously expensive?

Learn to use push to talk you gigantic retarded hyperfaggot. I wouldnt even associate with the low life fucks that dont PTT.
Here let me help your sorry ass so maybe you can graduate to pure distilled fidelity on the way in and out.
Use the dipswitch on your keyboard or AHK and swap left Ctrl and capslock. Now bind capslock to PTT. This way you don't have to move your fingers to engage it, you just slightly lower your palm hitting the physical Ctrl key that is bound to capslock that is bound to PTT.
Seriously I hope you die.

I do use push to talk, I enforce it wherever I go, but desk mics are still fuckawful unless you go full streaming faggot and have one dangling on an arm in front of your face, at which point you may as well be fucking using a gaming headset for how much of a twat you look.

Desk mics are ultratrash. I can't even quantify my disdain for them.

where did the foot fag OP go? i miss u

amazon.com/adapter-Microphone-Universal-Android-headphone/dp/B01HB9H4LK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1520265554&sr=8-4&keywords=vmoda mic
There are solutions like this that can work on standard 3.5mm jack headphones like the MSR7 and V-Moda. But those mic look like they have pretty crap sound quality.
> at which point you may as well be fucking using a gaming headset for how much of a twat you look.
But nobody is going to see you so why do you care about how you look? unless, you ARE one of those streaming gaylords?
>Desk mics are ultratrash.
Good desk mics have sound quality that can't even begin to compare with the typical integrated mic or addon mic.

If you really have to go full gamerlord just go fucking buy an Audio Technica ADG1X or a Beyerdynamic Custom Game already.

please don't post this show anymore, 3DPD kardashithot posted it on her instagram which means it's certified normalfag garbage now and unfit for human consumption

Vmoda boom pro, it's really good.

nullThis is objectively false. I have used various desk mics my whole life. I respect you for enforcing PTT, I do the same. I suggest you buy a Samson go mic from amazon. They are cheap, it goes on top of your monitor, and its clear as day in cardioid mode. Plus if you buy on amazon you can just return it no hassle if I'm wrong(I'm not).

Whats the current bang:buck ratio headphone DAC/Amp?

OL DAC or d30 + O2.

I don't even.

Stax SRM-353x gutshot

Premium Japanese electronics folded over a thousand times

more expensive than the table you don't have

5 body heat sink blades

My SR-L700 should be inbound US customs today, delivered by end of the week hopefully. Put the 3100 setup in the garage to finally have decent tunes out there.

are those toes or mini fingers
that little toe..

>$1000 is now mid tier when it comes to CIEMs
>TOTL are breaking $3000

what the fuck

Any closed back recommendations for the Boompro? Budget is $150, but I can make room for shipping/handling/taxes.

Oh fuck. That's amazing.

IEMs are the second biggest scam in audio, right behind cables. Get yourself a $500 CIEM and call it a day.

why does everything have "boosted bass" "rich bass" etc. Trying to avoid those distortions discards almost everything out there.

>Any closed back recommendations for the Boompro? Budget is $150, but I can make room for shipping/handling/taxes.
There's not a whole lot of 3.5mm standard jack with no funky locking mechanism at that price point. Your budget is slightly lower than the MSR7. Takstar Pro 82 might be your best bet. V-Moda headphones are crap.

You are just looking at the wrong brands. None of the Sennheiser open headphones could be said to have boosted bass, save for the HD559. Audio Technica's offering oscillate between slightly boosted to non existent bass outside of the crappy M line of headphones. Most AKG headphones are extremely bass light, with the exception of the K7XX.
Philips has a lot of bass-light headphones like the SHP9500, although it has also boosting stuff like the X2. Focal doesn't do jamal stuff much either.

what price range are you looking at?

What are the little white cap things on top of the tubes?

anything past $300 is shit tier

are focals as good as people say? i never see them brought up here.

Cables are the biggest scam in audio. There are much more people who believe that dacs sound different.

What's everyone listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=TPYqrVDlc_4

>Cables are not

This graph hurts my brain. What are the green bars supposed to represent? What is the blue line? How can you possibly describe sound quality as number? What the fuck is a negative sound quality rating? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put those two blue arches in the middle of the graph?

How do you like those Grado's ?
i've been wanting to get one's too

>What are the green bars supposed to represent?
Price $
>What is the blue line?
Predicted Sound Quality Rating
>How can you possibly describe sound quality as number?
measurements
>What the fuck is a negative sound quality rating?
when you would rather listen to nothing than use the IEMs
>Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put those two blue arches in the middle of the graph?
HARMAN INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIES, INCORPORATED

That's true, but at least (some) expensive DACs offer some sort of measurable improvement, while cables offer zero measurable improvement.

Those stats were built around testing IEMs. It is not necessarily true for over-ear headphones, which have a much higher cost whether in bill of materials, retailer space they occupy and packaging, R&D because eliminating resonances and getting good acoustics is harder and so on.
But yeah, if you buy IEMs other than etymotic you're dumb.

those that cost about $100 in europe and north america, everything costs twice as much in my country.

Multimeter model?
It's not a Fluke, is it?

btw I'm about to buy the shure se215, I know the sound is not neutral but they seem the best I can afford atm.

Some tubes are constructed with pins located on top, help prevent arcing might be a reason. Using adaptors I can run different variety of tubes with my amps.

youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8
SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTED
SHE WANTED THAT STUD BULL

>How can you possibly describe sound quality as number?
The other guy is slightly dishonest with his answer, but I agree with his sentiment.
'sound quality' here is based on how much people liked the sound in blind testing a decent sample size of people across ages and nationalities and gender. They listened to the IEM then rated them, without knowing the price of the item. So it's not a measure of absolute sound quality in a scientific sense, but more about "do people actually like $3k IEMs if they don't know they cost $3k" and the answer is a sobering NO.

Yeah, 117. When local Sears was closing I scored it for $99.

Listening to these lovely el84 tubes.

To add to this post, here's a blurb written by one of the experimenters :
> So, if you think spending a lot of money on in-ear headphones guarantees you will get excellent sound, you may be sadly disappointed. One of the most expensive IE models ($3000) in the above graph, had a underwhelming predicted score of 20-25% depending what EQ setting you chose. The highest scoring headphone was a $100 model that we equalized to hit the Harman target response, which our research has shown to be preferred by the majority of listeners.
Of course, EQ'ing is verboten in the world of audiophoolia.

I like them quite a bit, great for acoustic and rock music. Only complains would be that they lack bass and they get uncomfortable after using them for a while.

>I scored it for $99.
Hell yes.

guys i got my o2 from headnhifi but it looks like this, not like the o2 on jds own site. is this an old model or something?

It's not the same manufacturer. The same amp schematics, different builder. The O2 is an open source DIY amp did you know?

>'sound quality' here is based on how much people liked the sound in blind testing a decent sample size of people across ages and nationalities and gender. They listened to the IEM then rated them, without knowing the price of the item. So it's not a measure of absolute sound quality in a scientific sense
wrong

>I referred to the slide above that shows the predicted sound quality for 61 different models of in-ear headphones based on their measured frequency response.

where BOM?

Swindled

oh okay, i was extra confused because i image searched for it and couldn't find anything like it. didn't know that but thanks for easing my worries.

headnhifi.com/diy-kits/o2-kit-full
69 euros for the whole shebang : power adapter, encasing, PCB, parts.
If looking at only the electronics parts, it's 27 euros :
headnhifi.com/diy-kits/o2-parts-kit

Frankly the money gained is not worth the effort. Unless your time has no value.

thanks for the links

my.mixtape.moe/fiqlbq.flac

I used to have an ER4P years ago. Used them until cables shat themselves.

The bass seemed weak at first but it grew over time.

Is it possible to remold those into a custom?