/mg/ - Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
pastebin.com/XBTXuip5

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md (Guide to installing CRUX and Source Mage)

>Pastebins
Alternative to Bloatware v1.2 pastebin.com/9NtiV5MB
Pure ALSA pastebin.com/yKhgKt8r

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eqn
safaribooksonline.com/library/view/unix-text-processing/9780810462915/Chapter09.html
oreilly.com/openbook/utp/UnixTextProcessing.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeXML
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's the WM ram usage list.

Daily reminder that GNU bash is bloated

pekwm is missing

whats the point in installing anything else when bash is already there and can do just about anything one would with a shell? just to waste disk space?

around 7mb on my system

btw, anyone else having weird problems with pekwm and recent xorg versions?
it won't accept the windows keys any more on my pc

OH NO MY WM IS GONNA USE 10 MORE MiB OF RAM WHATEVER WILL I DO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Not every *nix distro comes with bash.
And you can remove packages you know...

>been using dwm for a while now
>patched a bunch of stuff in to get actual functionality out of it
>now takes 7M to run
am I doing it right

no
install a functional wm to begin with

I think you're missing the point of this thread.

What patches?
I only use pertag+hidevacanttabs+systray
Perfectly usable

I think (You)r definition of minimalism isn't held by the majority.

Shouldn't the goal be to be as minimal as possible while still retaining functionality?

>minimalism general
>Gentoo is literally the most bloated distro you could possibly install ever.
>#1 on the list

The whole point of suckless software is code brevity for the sake of maintainability and not low RAM usage anyway.

>>Gentoo is literally the most bloated distro you could possibly install ever.
sauce por favor weeb

>Steam kiddie telling anyone about bloat

bottomstack
smfact
statuscolors
combo
pertag
resizecorners
uselessgaps
noborder
rotatestack
xresourcescolors
some other taped in things here and there

Sauce?

Portage keeps copies of tarballs of every package version you have ever installed.

You have to be a certified retard to believe Gentoo is minimal. Its designed to be flexible and all-inclusive, its the very definition of a bloated distribution you fucking genetic throwback.

Reminder to use text files.

Half of that is useless rice
>bottomstack
Isn't it enough just to increase master area clients?

Not him, but
>Portage keeps copies of tarballs of every package version you have ever installed.
Every distro does that
Also, eclean
>you fucking genetic throwback.
Says the Poettering cocksucker

>Every distro does that
No, they don't.
eclean isn't default behavior, the default behavior is bloat.
Portage by itself with the tree is larger than any other distributions package management system, it was built to be redundant as fuck and work without centralized servers.

Literally every single part of Gentoo was over-engineered for flexibility, that causes massive amounts of bloat. OpenRC is a good example, that shit was a frankenstein of programs and systemd actually simplified a lot of things and removed a metric fuckton of bloated runscript bullshit and superfluous services that were all points of failure.

systemd is a single massive point of failure
prove me wrong
[spoiler]you cant

What does everyone think of the new thread? ^.^

Are different people not allowed to pursue minimalism differently? Or are we to check with you every time to make sure we have the right definition?

fuck the mac os paedo faggot, dunk the thread in the trash. This banned wannabe needs medical treatment. With the real (and only) OP the thread reached bump limit in no time, we want that back, not this excuse to post degenerate shotas.

Where are these tarball files located?

don't talk to tripfag. he's too busy jerking off to sawako to actually let his brain function. Let him spit his daily bullshit and then he will disappear. Like back when he hijacked a security thread claiming full disk encryption locked to firmware level was the most paranoid-proof unbreakable system. He got shit on by half the thread and disappeared, prolly back to sawako hentais.

/usr/portage/distfiles. Just delete them every so often.

Yeah systemd is shite. No systemd distros will be going into the OS list.
The list is not ordered from least to most, or most to least. It's just a list.
I love those!!
u are such a meanie! *giggles* Do u need a hug?

u are such a useless faggot with no purpose in life other than opening this thread and poisoning it with your UwU and paedo bullshit. Are you enjoying the new iPhone X aswell? Do you miss Steve Jobs? How many space do you have on your iCloud? How long till you'll neck yourself?

why are you so mad

>GNU IceCat
is it any good?

It's just firefox without the branding, so no

>icecat is just firefox for debian. nothing privacy about it unless you tune it until usable enough
E N D T H I S M E M E
Icecat is NOT the debian firefox fork.
I repeat. NOT NOT NOT NOT The Debian thing!
That was Iceweasel. Icecat is run by the GNU project, and provides several very real changes to Mozilla's browser.

Let's take the 2 minutes necessary to look this up, shall we?
>Important differences between Mozilla's Firefox and GNU IceCat is that IceCat has a focus on freedom and privacy (see settings.js for details).

>EME is not implemented: Whereas Firefox are being created such that they support Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) systems through their implementation of the Encrypted Media Extension (EME), GNU IceCat doesn't include an EME implementation as it opposes efforts to popularize and ease the dissemination of DRM technology.
>IceCat is configured with: WebRTC disabled
>Telemetry is disabled.
>Inbuilt add-ons

>Unlike Firefox ESR, IceCat comes pre-installed with add-ons. They are:
>GNU LibreJS used to block non-free JavaScript.
>LibreJS add-ons to run a few popular websites without running non-free code
>SpyBlock (Adblock Plus fork) to block privacy trackers.
>HTTPS Everywhere to get redirected to HTTPS when possible.
>HTML5 Video Everywhere! to replace proprietary video players with Firefox native video player.

>History
>GNU IceCat was formerly known as GNU IceWeasel but changed its name in 2008 to avoid confusion with Debian IceWeasel (who was rebranded back to Firefox in 2017)

So let's recap:
GNU wanted to make a fork because they wanted to make it a secure and private browser.
Debian wanted to make a fork because fuck knows why.
There was a bit of confusion because they both wanted to call it Iceweasel.
GNU agreed to call theirs Icecat.
So now there are 3 browsers: Firefox, Debian Iceweasel, and GNU Icecat.
Debian gave up Iceweasel last year.
So now there's 2 browsers: Firefox and Icecat.
GOT IT!?!?!!

nta and i like minimalism but to be fair you guys do sound extremely autistic.

the other poster is not a pervert and the thread wasn't shit tier like every thread opened by the faggot, who even got himself banned for his degenerative passion for shotas. This has nothing to do with unix/linux or minimalism, he's not even using those or being minimal in the first place! He's on a fucking Mac! Threads opened by that waste of oxygen should auto-delete themselves.

Not a very minimal pic, OP.

That's just a bit of GNU ricing on top.
It doesn't have any significant changes to the actual code base.

so is it a good choice if I wanted a secure and non-botnet browser that is also functional in real life and has adblock and other extensions?

because most non-botnet browsers are not really very functional on the modern internet

I think the main thing you'd have to get rid of is LibreJS, but outside of that It looks pretty usable.

>disabling all spying Moz://a shit
>just a bit of ricing
pick one and only one

>few settings you can set in vanilla firefox in a minute with about:config
OH MY GOD ITS A WHOLE NEW BROWSER

Use Groff.

LaTeX is bloat.

>few settings that Moz://a could reset at any time with an update.
I mean, no proof that they do that yet, but after the Cliqz and Looking Glass shit, It wouldn't surprise me.

As someone who currently doesn't use either, what's the benefit?

Good OP, lets see how we do with this title tho

Doesn't need a 2GB install, and can innately be converted into multiple other minimal formats, including plaintext.

at least it lets my system boot unlike systemd that can start an unlimited timer that prevents booting.

groff is nice
printf ".EQ\nlim from {m -> inf} sum from i=O to m c sup i\n.EN\n" | groff -e -Txhtml > foo.html

Gives you that formula in proper embedded MathML.

the thread is fine especially if it makes redditors like you angry.

Can I view mathematical formulas on the terminal with groff? That would be nice.

doesn't seem like it can

You could probably output them to -Tutf-8 and have something vaguely readable as an equation.

the thread is gross and incompetent like the original poster and (You). Angry != disgust. The sane OP opened the thread here for any sane person putting software minimalism above degenerate shota lovers who post behind a mac device.

>trying to start thread wars
>sane

To be honest I like his title more, but this OP has better pasta anyway

Yeah it's very autistic. I figured he'd quiet down after I stopped calling it "Unix" general, as that seems to get people mad, but I guess not

Oh well! By the way, the OS list now includes microkernel OSes and FreeDOS in the "Other" category.

So, i'll make a new installation of Crux. My actual installation is fucked, with openbox, dwm, plasma and fucking GTK3 dependencies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eqn
Math with groff, I need this

youve only yourself to blame

In groff you don't need to pipe eqn to groff, like you had to with troff, it's just a groff switch, same with tbl and ref.

Install Crux, user.

If you want to remove some bloat just ask on the IRC for how to do that. Actually ask they implement USE flags, they can.

Hey, I use CRUX too

why would i

safaribooksonline.com/library/view/unix-text-processing/9780810462915/Chapter09.html
Math with Groff is cool

oreilly.com/openbook/utp/UnixTextProcessing.pdf

Downloadable PDF.

Thanks

Because is comfy

Wow this is cool. saved

ty

Has anyone made something like TeXML for *roff?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeXML
If not I might try my hand at it. I realize "XML" doesn't really fit with "minimalism general" but in this case it would perhaps be a more minimal alternative to an XSL-FO processor like Apache FOP.

This guy has a bunch of UNIX Documentation PDFs (including a better version of Unix Text Processing), and a simply tutorial on his phlog that shows how to use groff to format text files.
gopher://sdf.org/1/users/dbucklin/

it does make nice tables though

Yeah, been digging that link, is good to see how we can bring back tools like groff and gopher, they have a place among the minimalists and need more light for those who dont know them

the problem is not the thread it's your degenerate fetish towards using this threads to boost your fetish. You have nothing to do with minimalism, apple store regular

>cat |
you can just leave that out

https: //lists.crux. nu/pipermail/crux-devel/2006-August/001913.html

>IMO USE flags don't fit the often cited KISS principle in CRUX. Most
CRUX users choose to hack the Pkgfile if they aren't happy with the
existing one. That's what I do, too, and I'm happy with it.
>In general, please don't cross post to both the general CRUX mailing
list and the devel list, thanks.

No bully please

been waiting for this thread since ages, I love minimalism!

We like things in here. We don't like bloat and cluter fucks.

Considering the power of these UNIX tools, can they really be considered "minimal"?

what do you mean? All my life is minimal.

debian did theirs because of the license of the official branding

If those are minimal then so is Windows 10.

win 10 is a pretty minimal os if you ask me, and finally we can talk about windows-based operating systems in here... all that unix/loonix stuff was getting boring and bloated. I prefer LTSB with onedrive uninstalled, it's as minimal as an os can get. You have powershell which is way less bloated than bash, a proprietary, hence way more polished kernel, explorer as the best window/desktop enviroment and no bloated alternatives. As fast as your hardware allows it to be, perfect for servers, always updated. No competion, really.

We in general don't mind software that does complex things. We mind software that had a tide of "features" shat on top of it.
We don't mind for example, feature-full internet. We mind that it is done in a retarded way.

bloat

stop changing the thread subject

don't be offtopic quoting Sup Forums please. Windows is proprietary hence you cannot see what is going on under the hood. This allows the os to function with the best and most minimalistic currently available, still allowing for every possible compatability available on the market. Try using CAD, Photoshop, and similar production software on linux. The only way to do it is to bloat your system with wine and libraries, and even then you won't get the same experience as Windows. It's 2018 you should be aware that W10 is the future of both desktop and server applications, and its minimalism is the very reason why.

>install openbsd
done

>win 10 is a pretty minimal os if you ask me
We didn't.

Ok, things are not not looking good with this title

Nice! Now install LXDE.
Wow but aren't DE's bloat?
Yes, but LXDE is made of modular components. You can install only the parts you want. Such as the WM (Openbox) and a panel or calculator.

awesome is such a piece of thrash lmao

at least the babby’s switched to i3

it comes with fvwm faggot
you literally don’t need anything else if you’re not a braindead moron that can’t read docs

btw, openbsd manpages are godlike