Japanese Music Thread

Japanese music thread. Pop, Underground noise, whatever.

Been listening to Seiko's last LP a lot for the past month. It looked like an ok album with some peaks at the beginning, but now I can't get enough and I'm totally in love with it. Not sure how she does that, I should try to learn how to analyze music. Anyway, she had some kind of Ringo-ish inspiration and she still have, but she seem to be evolving in her own way now.
I wish I'd hear about Mariko Goto too (her current solo project or whatever new stuff she wants to try), even if her last LP was a bit less convincing...this girl really got soul, I hope she won't kill herself or something (last news about her were pretty grim)

PS : excuse my terrible english

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GxoGSwNgyx4
youtube.com/watch?v=GvD3CHA48pA
youtube.com/watch?v=A1oxh8Z-2ko
youtube.com/watch?v=IOY7hh_KplE
youtube.com/watch?v=JPKX9gsZhi8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SlS7bInxIY
youtube.com/watch?v=nbzsE-GOjBg
youtube.com/watch?v=_1_8zHnvudc
youtube.com/watch?v=WU54WpQNYic
youtube.com/watch?v=HQz4GIOB8gg
youtube.com/watch?v=YIkd3H4tEf4
pastebin.com/Cca07HuB
pastebin.com/wtBDQFDC
youtube.com/watch?v=4KFPXOc61w0
youtu.be/Yfsk9ra5rLI
youtube.com/watch?v=yH3atjbbyQc
youtu.be/EQiPvm3V6xo
youtu.be/hfTRyrttXtk
youtube.com/watch?v=HttxbHdwn2A
youtube.com/watch?v=1M53sy_4Nbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mariko goto just announced she quit music

Oh, also discovered Go-Qualia recently

youtube.com/watch?v=GxoGSwNgyx4

Not sure how long this will work for me but I like it.

FFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I shouldn't be so upset but I really like her. I may be worried for her mental health too...

I wonder why general japanese music threads are always so quiet, when kpop threads are the total opposite? There's so many interestng japanese artists to discover.
Wait, let me try something to get people's attention :

youtube.com/watch?v=GvD3CHA48pA

(I'm actually ok with Babymetal tho)

Does anyone listen to unicorn? I fucking love their 3rd and 4th albums

Relatively hard to find with a name like this, any vids?

Kpop threads revolve around idol culture and waifus, not music. Sure there are plenty of cute Japanese musicians and plenty of commercialization, but it's not as big in music in Japan.

They just post their waifus over and over. Go look at the thread.

Oh yeah, sure. But what about music. You guys love music, right?

Just in case, have some Campanella :

youtube.com/watch?v=A1oxh8Z-2ko

youtube.com/watch?v=IOY7hh_KplE

Looks like she became pretty popular considering the number of views.
It's not her final form (let's just hope she evolves in an interesting way and not in an easy watered-down one), but it's generally pretty cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=JPKX9gsZhi8

Here's a group of cute waivus

Unicorn
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SlS7bInxIY

Japanese Breakfast-Psychopomp
very catchy!
youtube.com/watch?v=nbzsE-GOjBg

Because waifufags and idol fanboys go yo

youtube.com/watch?v=_1_8zHnvudc

DJ-chan is mai waifu

Where do I start with The Novembers? Boris has been mentioning then a lot on Twitter and got me curious.

KOHH

youtube.com/watch?v=WU54WpQNYic

Man I am in LOVE with Thousand Knives
How do I best start listening to YMO? They have a somewhat big discography and there seems to be no charts or anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=HQz4GIOB8gg

usually not a fan of idol stuff or vaporwave but this combo is just lovely

start with solid state survivor or just work chronologically through the albums credited solely to them, the 2 albums they made with akiko yano (tadaima and gohan ga deti taiyo) are lovely too

>gohan ga deti taiyo
Gohan ga Dekitayo*

Japanese grills make everything lovely

youtube.com/watch?v=YIkd3H4tEf4

Not sure what vaporwave is tho, I'm getting old.

PS : be careful, Tentenko is dangerous. The song I posted actually sounds like some 80's pop but each EP is different, sometime it's noisy, sometimes it's just her playing with her synth, idk, I like her (she was in BiS and I think her albums are on Otonomai iirc)

She's in comfy crazy cat lady mode now. We'll always have Midori's catalog which is pretty fucking solid

PS : Uh yeah the albums are actually theer but I forgot the site was on invitations, hit me if anyone's interested, I got 2

Last night I bulk-downloaded a bunch of stuff based on my last.fm recommendations and similar artists to those recommendations, with hopes of rolling something interesting.

What is the correct way of scrobbling this?

I want to be her cat

now that Mariko's out, is there anymore crazy japanese frontgirl besides the bassist/singer from 385?

hello /jap/, long time no see

pastebin.com/Cca07HuB
pastebin.com/wtBDQFDC

That's cool and all but this is a pretty long list that kinda kills conversation and no one won't really go into all of that before long. That's why I like to just wander around topics like these, picking recs of the moment from everyone, one at the time.

Anyways.

Answering myself here, found the first band in this vid'
youtube.com/watch?v=4KFPXOc61w0
May just be shit but I'm willing to dig deeper as I'm a sucker for japanese noisy girls
Can't catch their name tho as I don't read japanese, if anyone knows.

Any Jun Togawa fans here? Do you have any current photo of her? She is still doing lots of concerts but I can only find young photos of her.

Also any similar artists like her? I guess she is pretty unique

Oh god, that was a coincidence. I haven't seen that pic before, thanks user.

people always tell me the list 'kills conversation" which is hilarious because theres almost never any substantial, sustained conversation happening anyway. i just post it as a resource that is relevant, but largely independent, of these threads.

but i am always willing to talk and give out recs in these threads but usually when i do people dont respond, which is somewhat discouraging lmao.
i havent kept up with the crazy frontgirl scene lately so I dunno.
i only have youngish photos of her, but i have lots of them. her vocal style is fairly unique imo. she has lots of side projects and collabs, so i always rec that for people who want more jun

>but i am always willing to talk and give out recs in these threads but usually when i do people dont respond, which is somewhat discouraging lmao.
Yeah I know. I'll just sharing my enthusiasm about whatever I'm into these days, in case someone might like it too.
See, even the 2 or 3 people in this thread was enough for me to learn and discover a few stuff, so, whatever.
The thing i said about the list was nothing against your initiative tho. Still useful. I was just telling I'm personnaly more in the mood to discover stuff post by post rather than browse through a huge list, at least not right now. There's this kind of thing I can't explain, where we have "too much" choice nowadays, and this actually doesn't help me focus on something. Not sure if clear. Anyways

No, I think it makes perfect sense actually. I never intended for the list to be a perfect solution for everyone. And I'm very aware of how 'much' there is to it; like how dense it can be. This is one of the reasons I used to post in sharethreads so much because I felt like I could highlight more specific/special releases. I even tried to make like one of those 'essential Japanese releases' images with just a couple dozen albums etc.

I haven't listened to much new music lately, so I don't have much to share, but I'll post what I can.

Polaris
youtu.be/Yfsk9ra5rLI
Its like dub-influenced pop; reminds me of Fishmans sort of. Yuzuru Kashiwabara (bass) actually joined post-Fishmans.

anonymass
youtube.com/watch?v=yH3atjbbyQc
youtu.be/EQiPvm3V6xo
really pleasant chamber/J-pop stuff. Female vocals.

GUIRO covering Fishmans.
youtu.be/hfTRyrttXtk

might post some more later.

>cue
My favorite version:
youtube.com/watch?v=HttxbHdwn2A

Awesome; I don't believe I've seen this version. Thanks so much.

She sounds kind of like John Lydon with Public Image. Does her other stuff sound anything like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=1M53sy_4Nbk

Tricot's new EP was pretty good. Can't wait to hear a new album from them. I really enjoyed AND.

Been listening to a lot of Lamp recently. Does anyone know of any other stuff like them?

Wrong pic