/spg/ - Smartphone General

/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones

Recent News:
>Apple reseller in Malaysia forced to cancel $50 iPhone sale when thousands of people showed up
>Apple allegedly working on over the ear, noise-cancelling wireless headphones
>LG X4 smartphone announced in South Korea
>Samsung Galaxy A8+ (2018) to only get quarterly security updates
>New leak reveals HTC U12 will come with dual camera (12MP+16MP) and 256GB storage

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Guide/Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Battery Replacement/53303
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have a request for what kind of new phone from my Galaxy S5 that is on its last leg.
>US At&t
>Prefer removeable battery
>Expandable memory
>Runs games like Fate Grand Order with little to no lag
>About 5.5 inches
>Camera at least as good as the Galaxy S5
>3GB Ram
I've had multiple people recommend getting the Honor x6 or x7 and someone else saying to get a Galaxy S7 or S8 since the S9 is going to drive down their price.

What do people think of Huawei long term. Is build quality and software support good when compared to others

So I got this. What am I in for /spg/?

>the absolute state of chink phones advertising how exquisite the packaging is rather than the phone itself

Giving up your details to Xiaomi

Exquisite packaging.

Literally ChinkApple.

Am I the only one wondering about 'Custom Mi Mix 2 Hard Case' shipped as standard accessory? When the hell will phone manufacturers make durable phones rather than falling for the 'muh thin' meme and making users add extra thickness with a case anyway (and ruin the looks as well)...

GSM is only 2G not 3G? If I get a Xiaomi Mi A1 what carrier would work best on that in the US?

Preordered an S9+. When will it arrive Sup Forums? I can't wait!

>wait for amazon to stock the blue honor 7x
>it's 50 bucks more expensive for no reason
What the fuck

Femanon here

GSM covers 3G as well as 2G. The competing technology is CDMA which is only used by some American carriers (Verizon I think)

Why get a Xiaomi Mi A1 when you can just get a samsung j7 that is just about the same thing but works in the US on all bands?

BlackBerry Keytwo announcement

W H E N
H
E
N

who is this sexy girl

How do I customise one screen to look normal on KLWP. Then the next page to be just a gradient background

Way to completely miss the point of the A1.

Anyone got a good recommendation for a 4G phone replacement for a moto G 1st gen?

I just want some more RAM, stock android, unlocked and a semi-decent processor.

>US At&t
easy
>Prefer removeable battery
get fucked, no choices
>Expandable memory
very few choices
>Runs games like Fate Grand Order with little to no lag
easy, just get something with an 835 if you can
>About 5.5 inches
easy
>Camera at least as good as the Galaxy S5
easy
>3GB Ram
too easy

You're just not going to find a phone with a removable battery in 2018 that is any good. Maybe a LG (bootloop) from a couple years ago, but that's pretty much it. Everyone else has moved on.

>time to change phones
>downgrade to a z5 compact

Here's hoping the 810 doesn't die soon.

Mi A1 incoming, should I put a custom rom on it or is it not worth the trouble?

Keep it stock, so when you get Android P you can make all the samshitters, sonyggers, htcfags, huaweicunts and lgpricks jelly as FUCK.

Huh, I thought that there's only a preview build available soon?

Stop talking like a retard.

Do I get the XZ Premium or the XA2?

Is there a way to change the battery on them?
>Got a Z5

What then is the point?

Well shit, now I read that updating the Mi A1 to Oreo fucks the camera, increases battery drainage and slows down performance

fml

Not easily sadly, no.
ifixit.com/Guide/Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Battery Replacement/53303

I really like the form factor & materials / feel of the device, though. If I was going to make an ideal smartphone it would probably be based on this body.

Damn, but the body is really something special indeed. Besides the XZ Premium no new Sony phone comes close.

Hey guys, Is there anything worth checking with 6 inch screen and 16:9 aspect ratio?
Or I should just buy V20?

With the recommendation of the 835, should I get an S8 at $599, or will the price to drop more?

That said, I heard that the S8s are just bloatware to the max. So would that phone be wise to get?

I'm partial to my OnePlus 5T, but that might just be buyer's not-quite-remorse-but-more-justification.

You get a 835 phone with 8GB of RAM, very little (and useful stuff) added on top of Android and nothing that can't be removed, support for custom ROMs. Drawbacks allegedly include the customer service if you have problems (I haven't) and the resolution is just 18:9 1080p. But the latter will give you better performance in games.

With Samsung you can't root without voiding the warranty and tripping the KNOX security system. Most of the ROMs are for Exynos variants (not the Snapdragon variant available in US/Canada) and usually based on Samsung's bloated default firmware. I haven't been keeping tabs on the development scene for the S8, so it could be better now, but I'm doubtful.

XIAOMI
NEVER
EVER

Why not?
I am seriously considering buying a redmi note 5 pro.

Eh, I'll try the update, and if it doesn't work, I'll just return the phone.

Kek. Don't expect any fix soon.
They are trying to kill it so you get the new mi a1 pro plus (know in pajeetland as mi7 plus pro note 8) instead.

Xiaomis have been recommended for years, and for good reason. He's talking out of his ass

xiaomi's battery life tends to go to shit when on a custom rom.

As an owner of a note 3
Just don't, don't buy into the memes
Headache inducing company tbqh

I'd say Moto E Verizon prepaid phone. Depending on your location anyway. I'm in Canada and got one for $100 CAD. In the US they are as low as $40 USD. Then just a couple bucks to unlock.

2gb ram, 16gb storage, SD425, 720p LCD 5 inch. Close to stock Android and has the moto display stuff which is awesome. And a botnet fingerprint scanner I'd you're into that. Plus replaceable battery.

talk me out of getting a Note 8 (exynos)

I think you responded to the wrong post.

Is there no A E S T H E T I C case makers in existence? I nice balance between form and function would be nice.

Upgrading my Nexus 5. Is Nexus 6p a good choice? Or should I go with the /spg beloved xiaomi? Mainly for web browser, music and some YouTube vids. Thanks in advance.

>and for good reason.
Literally the only reason is because they're so cheap. Now that they continue to increase prices to compete, there's literally zero reason to go with them. This is completely ignoring the time (which is valuable bitch) and effort spent attempting to fix fucked up phones by rooting and putting on a custom rom, for what all so you can have a phone that functions how you expect? LOL

If you want it around the same size Sony Xperia xa2 would be a good choice

the zte axon 7 mini
is it good, lads?

No

>master1200
Try clicking the image one more time for a higher res.

>Country
US
>Carrier
unlocked no carrier (or at&t)
>Wanted Features
large size, light weight, decent specs, value
Budget
>Size
Large

Considering: Oneplus 5t

The picture?? It's a report of a repost BBY boiii

Battery life is aids. Trust me spend the extra 200$ and get the Xperia xz1 compact. Wish I did

Wanting to buy something new for gf.

>5"
>Android 7.0 or above
>Full HD
>Under 200€/$

Sadly Gearbest doesn't carry the Redmi 4 Prime anymore and I don't want to get fucked by customs again.

Galaxy a3 or a5 pretty damn good phones in that size range

CPU is like 4 generations old, it's inefficient

Touchwiz though.

You can get so much better than 5t. S8, Mate 10 Pro, v30+. Check them out

When will they finally figure out how to place a camera behind the LCD screen so it doesnt have some retarded notch?

Someone redpill me on the Honor 9, Nokia 6/8, Zenfone 4/5, and how much better a Pixel 2 might be than these phones

> (You)
>Touchwiz though.

Is not as bad these days. pretty damn snappy and battery is on point could be better but is definitely not miui or emui man

Android One

I don't mind a bigger phone, but I would like a phone with greater battery life with robust performance that I can count on for the next 3years at least. Is there others one you would recommend?

ty

>Femanon here

Why is that relevant?

>acquire xz1c 4 days ago
>"one click" root+ twrp+drm key fix method announced today

Feels good man

It's so difficult finding a decent iphone case. So far I've gotten the voices down to rhinoshield playproof, and caseology or patchworks ITG. So many reviews point out the flaws in every single phone case how tf do you find a good one that isn't just a "clip-on"

iphones, out of all phones, should provide the most amount of options for cases
if you can't find one with an iphone, you're completely fucked.

I went from 8 hours SOT to 10-12 after installing Lineage on my Note4.

Anyone recommend the best root detection blocker for lineage?

It takes like half an hour at most with most if it just letting the phone do it's own thing if you know what you're doing.

Just because you're technologically inept, that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

Is Android One really the second coming of Christ people make it out to be or just a marketing ploy? I could wait a month until the Nokia 7 Plus comes out which has Oreo out of the box (Project Treble) or just get the Nokia 8 (2017) right now for the exact same price, difference being that the Nokia 8 has much better specs although probably a slightly worse camera. Keep in mind that having a bloat free OS an being up to date in terms of software is very important to me and the reason why I want to get rid of my Galaxy S8.

What is a good phone around $500?

One Plus 5T

just use Magisk

Hi /spg/, my Nexus 6p is running out of battery at 35% when I open an app, if I don't open an app it'll stay on till 0%. Do I have a fucked battery sensor or something, or is the battery itself fucked?

Thanks

I can guarantee you have a shitty phone right now with a bunch of shit that doesn't even work but you let it slide because it was cheap.
G U A R A N T E E D
It's not about being technologically inept, xiaomi devices are simply pure trash. But keep shilling them, hopefully you're being compensated for encouraging others to waste money on devices they'll want to replace within a year.

What does everybody use to paste their weeb cartoons now? Tried using Mango after a few years break and it won't connect to anything

>Cartoons

Fuck, meant comics

I went from a Xiaomeme mi mix 2 to an Lg k20 plus on metropcs. I have to say, I really had no need for all that. I literally only text, play FEH and order stuff online and request a taxi service. I feel liberated. I have had no problems with my downgrade so far.

>I use Android

Hey Anons, requesting buying advice, all replies are appreciated.

This is for the US on Verizon, I would like:
>Very large screen (6in+)
>Higher quality speakers (front facing would be best)
>Easily mod-able, such as rooting/flashing ROMs
>No Budget
I don't care about expandable storage or removable battery, and camera quality also doesn't matter.
I don't game on my phone at all.

I was thinking about just going with a Pixel 2XL as I've heard only good things about them, I've also heard the S9 was coming out soon. Would it be a good idea to wait a month then buy something? Or am I fine walking into a Verizon store tomorrow, getting a Pixel 2XL and using it for the next 2 years? All help is appreciated.

Depends on your priorities, Android One is just a guarantee for frequent updates and the next two versions of Android, the Nokia 8 gets frequent updates but it's not guaranteed you'll get Android 10 for example. As for specs, the 660 performs like older flagships and should be respectable compared to the 835, and probably more power-efficient like 600-series chipsets are. It just lags behind with the GPU. If I were you I would wait, but that's me.

You sure this is what is happening rather than the times you opened the app just coincidentally happening when you got that sporadic battery drain?

Anyway common issue with the 6p. I had to get my battery replaced.

How important is the GPU aspect of an SoC anyways? Will I still have a fluid UI and browsing experience? I don't care about graphically intense games as I only play very rarely on my phone.

>look up a phone review on YouTube
>Majority of them are done by pajeets with thick accents, barely audible

Just got a new Moto G5 included with my phone plan, it has Android 7

Should I consider switching to LineageOS with it or should I ride out my two year contract on Android 7 and 8 (when it comes out for it)?

Do you suggest I use FDroid or just submit and use PlayStore only? I'm going to sign in to some google services on it so I figure if I should even bother avoiding going full botnet on it.

I'm new to Android, coming from an old borked iPhone 5S

Dad bought a z5c, I liked it and upgraded to the non compact from a z2, gf wants a z5 now too.

pros: it's faster, the micro usb isn't underneath a cover

cons: the body isn't metal anymore, there's no magnetic charger anymore

If that's not easy then why are you on Sup Forums?

If you don't play games, the GPU doesn't matter much, the UI will run smoothly, midrange SoCs like the 660 will have enough power to make 1080p run smoothly unless you're an ultra power user. Either way you'll get a smooth experience anyway because of no bloat on your OS, the difference will be noticeable coming from Samsung and TouchWiz.

Thanks a lot for your inputs

>easily mod-able, such as rooting/flashing ROMs
Don't buy from Verizon then, they lock the bootloaders on the phones they sell and don't allow them to be unlocked which makes rooting and flashing custom ROMs impossible. If you buy straight from Google you won't have this restriction.

Think the price will go up or do you think it'll go down from here? Truth be told my cash flow is a little tight right now, and while I'd like to be able to just throw the $500 on the phone right now, at least not until I get paid. I don't think it'll go up, but maybe they'll lose stock within like a few months since I don't keep up with these companies and what they sell, although I kind of doubt it since it seems pretty new.

Please guys i am in need of counseling.
I have a Nexus 6P and battery life has gotten so bad I want to replace it. Not gonna spend more than 350 yuros on it but i kind of want good specs.
I looked up the LG G6 buy i am also intrigued by the P20 Lite that's coming up soon.
Should I wait or go for the G6? I want to install custom ROMS on it, too.
Any other suggestion besides these 2 models?

Wait for nokia 7+

Is the redmi 4x still the best smartphone one can get for around $130

>not waiting for mix 2s
enjoy your outdated LCD phone for 450$

>If that's not easy then why are you on Sup Forums?
Because context exists. If someone asks if a phone has an easily changeable battery, I assume they mean one designed to be easily swapped out by users.

it will be 500$ until one plus 6 comes out and they stop selling these
no changes in prices at all unless you by though Amazon and they run some deal

after reading all this Xiaomi stuff in here, should I cancel my Mi A1 order and wait for the new Nokia 6?