How do I learn Java?

I am in online school, so I don't have any classes I can take. I've tried a Java for Beginners book, but it is hard for me to understand the reasoning behind it. Can anyone recommend a good resource online for learning Java?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
mooc.fi
math.hws.edu/javanotes/index.html
youtu.be/Aa55RKWZxxI?t=44
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

POO IN LOO

The course should give you enough resources to learn the language.
Is there a particular concept you're not understanding?

here ya go good luck and have fun

To all the peeps on Sup Forums
Why do you autistic faggots only shill "pajeets are shitting on the street" only on Sup Forums? Which is less mainstream in India. Oh yeah you don't have the BALLS to show up on popular social media websites because your butt will be roasted to ashes by other Indians.

We're not fluent in English, agreed but we have to learn other 3 to 4 languages including English which is pain in the ass.

Poor people in rural villages shit on grassfields and not normal people in most cities you autistic anons because lack of education in those areas. Stray Dogs shit on the street, not people.

Our food such as curry might not be suited for you, but hey muh chink's roasted cockroaches and dog are probably more healthy for your stomach.

Jesus Christ you don't even want to know the node chains I have to deal with in YUI, sometimes I have to go 15 deep to change a necessary setting

POO

IN

THE LOO

Never learn Java

Imagine being this mad

1. Move to India

try starting a textbook and see how you like it. Personally, I find the best learning pattern for me goes as follow:
>have a project idea in mind
>find source code of a similar project and skim over / study it
>look up concepts that are new to me
>look up other examples of these concepts being used in practice
i purchased a big beginners' textbook and read it maybe halfway through, but i didnt really pick up anything from it. textbooks mostly teach with abstract examples,which i find are difficult to make connections with real world scenarios for a beginner

also, official oracle java documentation is your best friend. always refer to it when you need clarification

u mad faggot

See, they don't understand why nobody likes them

you mad street shitter?

learn C++ , java will seems a lot easier after
learncpp.com

if you want just web development... go for pluralsight... there are some courses. You can just gypsy the license once 3 mounths

Worst advice in this thread. Don't listen to this guy. Saying this because I tried the same thing and it just ended up making me even more confused.

The way it's done at my school is C -> C++ -> Java, I felt like java was a lot easier after those two and I understood it a lot more. I wasn't CS though so I did a lot of assembly language shit which is nice for C but doesn't really matter for Java

is this a pasta? I can't tell.
headfirst Java textbook or mooc.fi has some good resource. good luck user.

here is what works for me. watch some online tutorials to learn basic syntax. declaring variables, implementing library for user input, printing, if else statements etc.
once you have a basic idea, look for beginning java projects meant to build up your programming skill. basic stuff like write an application that asks for user input of seconds and print it converted into days,hours,minutes,seconds. my uni classes used hypergrade, where you would submit code and it would run it against multiple test cases and show any error.
i need to be presented with a problem and really work at executing it perfectly in code for the concepts to really stick.
also if you havent already, download IntliJ Idea IDE

Reasoning behind what? Why a language is the way it is? There is none. It's all entirely arbitrary and made because someone found it easy to understand. You can literally make your own programming language any time you want if that's easier for you. Because half of this shit is so autistic that if you miss a fucking space or whatever shit doesn't work. It's like the most autistic faggots came up with the rules to 99.99999999% of programming languages.

Objectivelly
*tips fedora*

My java class was online as well. The author of our book was Deitel. Try that one, it was pretty solid.

>Java

May god have mercy on your soul.

Learn C++/C#/PHP/Python/Ruby instead, depending on where you want to specialize.

what exactly are you having problems with? cause learning the syntax is easy, using it to solve problems is where its challenging, offcourse depending on what you are trying to do.
this is really good desu:
math.hws.edu/javanotes/index.html

Is Java really that bad? Just started IT at RMIT and the first language we're doing is Java

why java?
you should think about that
all computer language share the same concept(almost)
learn something else

I learnt Java from "Core Java for the Impatient", it has a new version that covers Java 9 and it's on libgen.

>it is hard for me to understand the reasoning behind it
Any examples of things you don't understand?

What the fuck is wrong with using Oracle's tutorials?

It's what I was planning on using.

If you can’t understand Java, stop programming and get off of this website.

I am a full time javaee dev and have never read a good book on java. I learned what i know from school and working with others

youtu.be/Aa55RKWZxxI?t=44

>working with others
Everything seems so easy when you have a mentor. It takes forever and a lot of effort to study on your own.