/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LyQEij88SB4
amazon.com/link/dp/B01H6FC8KQ
tortuganonima.bandcamp.com/album/asteral
innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-660-s-over-ear-open-headphones
amazon.com/Headphone-Jokitech-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B01N4L4WPK/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how often do you refresh the frontpage of Sup Forums
you are always first poster these days

Do Vacuum-Tube amps actually sound better than digital amplifiers?

don't feed the attention whore.

Don't get fooled into buying the meme HD600

it's floor user, the man with no friends and an estranged family and no furniture because he spent thousands on audio snake oil

do not feed him (You)s

buy Japan made

I bought W1000z but its backordered : (

Made in JAPAN reporting in.

You should try to listen to a variety of tube amps if you get the chance. Same with sand amps.

HUH? I was asking a serious question since I have been on the fence about buying one, I don't even know who the person who owns that stuff in the photo is

Me and Headphone-senpai :3

w-whats the difference of the SHP9500S and HD 579?

He's an attention whore, don't feed him. On the topic of tube amps, no, they don't sound better. At most, they can sound different (albeit objectively worse) through frequency response changes or the introduction of harmonic distortion.

The SHP9500 are actually good.

What's everybody listening to?

youtube.com/watch?v=LyQEij88SB4

What headphones for listening to Metallica?

But Sennheiser HD600, the best headphones in the world, aren't made in Japan, user.

>At most, they can sound different (albeit objectively worse) through frequency response changes or the introduction of harmonic distortion.
Mostly distortion. Most measurements show that there's only a very tiny drop off of treble that most people won't even be able to hear -1db at 20khz- on most decent well made non chinkfi tube amps. The only FR response change that some tube amps induce, is induced not because they're tube amps but because they have high impedance, like OTL, which lifts the HD600 bass a little.
Tube amps are mostly for looking pretty on a desk.

hello sirs are your headphones doing the needful please kindly revert

[driver pops]

Nothing because metallica is mastered like dumpster fires. Would go fine with some Grado headphones maybe.

sankar is the type of dude who likes stinky 3d feet rather than perfect anime girl feet

By the end of the week my SR-L700 arrive, hope they get on with the SRM-353x

that image kek

Anyone got a headphone stand with a full foot of clearance? So many stands are 10", maybe 10.5", and the LCD2-Cs hit the bottom.

amazon.com/link/dp/B01H6FC8KQ
This one works perfectly for my LCD-2f

Should I get fooled into buying the meme HD600?

Stax stands have a lot of clearance

OPPO-PM3s + HA-2SE. Best purchase I made. I use every day in my work.

>sankar
>I wish. I think starting a company requires a bit of naïveté. There were no focus groups / consumer studies when we started Audeze. We were trying to build speakers and had one prototype headphone. John Purtill and Jude (from Headfi) offered us a discount on a Table at Head-Fi/CanJam and we showed the headphone there. Many people really liked the headphone and encouraged us to build it commercially. (Conversely, you can think of Headfi as a giant focus group)
we don't even know what we were doing
>I think there are a couple of reasons for popularity of Planar headphones. The materials available today are far better than what were available in 70s and 80s. Manufacturing techniques have improved and it is easier to get consistent performance. Secondly the niche communities like HeadFi and the ability to sell worldwide from day one. I think this trend will become more pronounced with crowd-funding opportunities available now.
planar are popular because we astroturfed headfi
>Also the LCD3 was introduced in 2011 and we had to change the transducer a couple of times because one of the supplier changes and EOF on materials.
we can't have consistent, repeatable build processes because we are nobodies with no real presence unlike real headphone companies that have a real supply chain

tortuganonima.bandcamp.com/album/asteral

You should, since they are pure distilled fidelity.

What headphones do I need to listen to Primus

Of course not, don't be a fool

Primus sucks

Huh, I have the black variant, but looks like the bamboo one's just a little taller. Guess I could paint it.

No issue with pad compression with that setup? I know Audeze suggests against Omega-style stands for that reason.

wait, does this confirm that audeze doesn't design their own drivers? lmao

So that "attention whore" he doesn't post words just pictures of his equipment?

Is he so deeply immersed in the unfathomable ecstasy of listening to such sublime crystal-clear sound from his premium cables, amplifiers, turntable, vinyl records and ear-speakers that he isn't capable of communicating with words anymore?

It reminds me of this video of a guy listening to the Sennheiser Orpheus and crying from how mindblowingly good the ultimate perfection of all headphones must have been

HD600/650 are insanely popular headphones. There's a lot of images of them broken solely because so many people have bought them, and because people are dumb and clumsy.
>The [HD600/650] headband is a very high quality plastic and will not break
innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-660-s-over-ear-open-headphones
Stop being a hipster and hating on things that are popular.

no bass, no upper mids, no treble

veiled shit

Nope, only applies to the 660S. Senn realized the problem and used a different plastic.
Snap away, 600 owners!

>pad compression
I don’t know, I keep my headphones in their cases when not I use. Just showing the Stax stand is pretty tall enough for Audeze

Using your logic beats are the best headphones ever made.

just make your own

>Nope, only applies to the 660S.
Your reading comprehension is incredibly poor. It very clearly applies to the HD600/650 in the linked article.

that picture doesn't interest me please stop posting it

The Orpheus are not really the best headphones ever made you know that right?

Nice strawman.

Also Woo has those adjustable stands where the cans hang. That might be a better fit. Im still trying to find a good price one them.

Correct. HD600 are.

That picture. It's a fake? Right? Tell me it's a fake. I refuse to believe someone could cry because of sound quality.

are not*

> The headband build quality is a little weak, and they feel a little too tight, which causes slight discomfort during long listening session

If I was going to pay Woo prices, I'd probably just buy Audioquest's Perch, even if it is from Audioquest.

>The Sennheiser HD600 have an average build quality. The open ear cups feel dense enough, to not crack or get damaged by a few falls. However, the headband feels fragile. Also, the metal frame that links the ear cups to the headband is connected by a thin joint that looks weak and feels susceptible to breaking under moderate physical stress.

It's weird, I got a used pair of HD650 from Amazon, and shit was supertight and uncomfortable, even after bending the metal, they went back.

I got a HD6XX and the clamp is fine, haven't needed to stretch them out at all. They're not the comfiest (Nighthawk or Z7), but they're good.

Well, even the HD598 is more comfy. It's mind numbing they downgraded this.

*snaps*

When I bought my amp from Woo I got em to throw in one of their standard stands. It barely fits with most cans cables touching the base. Still hoping to find one of their adjustable stands for cheap.

It's cute when ESL shitskins try to pretend they understand English.

yes
do come back and tell us how much you enjoy the nobass and mud while you try to trick other people into buying them

>Grado
>Tube amp
Mmmmmaximum distortion.

That amp sounds nice, el84s. let’s you toggle between OTL and Transformer coupled. Has an external power supply

why are the stands posted here so expensive... am I making a mistake if I just get a $20 chinese stand

No.

Stands are just for looks. Some of the stands shown here might even compress some headphone headband padding.

you're making a mistake if you're paying more than $20 for a headphone stand

Depends on the headphone and your willingness to unplug cables before setting it down. Also if you have a headset attached or not.

Don't go supercheap, I regretted both of my $10 stand purchases, but the $15-22 ones work fine for most of my headphones, it's just the LCD2-C. I'm using $18 ones for my HD800.

amazon.com/Headphone-Jokitech-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B01N4L4WPK/
i'm this is the stand I was looking at. it seems to have soft material to not compress the headband padding. should be good right?

so what you're saying is pay more than $20 because

Buy that cheap one or make your own . That pipe looks like it's metal. Just buy some small pieces from home depot and screw them into a board.

that looks too small to fit two pair of good cans, but I might be wrong. It's shown with small portable on-ear headphones on the marketing photos.

I do some cab recordings in this room so I just repurpose a mic stand.

Are HD 600 posters white or shit skins?
I'll buy a pair if 5 anons post a time stamped pic of their white hand holding an HD 600

How would you know they're not qt Asian trapbois?

i’ll give it a shot

lookie here, I don't like the sennheiser headphones much but there is no way in hell shitskins would own a HD600. That is because they have no bass. No. Bass. People high in testosterone don't enjoy nobass headphones.

Not a problem if they aren't southeast asians

Hey guys, what's the best on ear sealed and on ear open back headphones each under $300?

Best at/for what?

I've never seen /hpg/ collectively despise one user so much they straight up ignore his posts rather than bully him into submission

listen 2 music

Wasn’t it proven who gives a fuck what women think?

it's not like you could afford them jarrick

Audeze SINE
Koss Porta Pro

Oh sure, I'm (((white))) alright

There's no such a thing as a good on-ear. If you really have to though, DT1350 or HD25. As for open on-ears they are a rare anomaly.

sealed a990z
open he4xx, k7xx

wait im retarded delete this, i can't read

on ears suck though so i was subconsciously steering you away from them

Best at generic top 100 of the last 15 years or so, as far as i can figure. As general and all purpose as possible I guess.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?
I take the blackhair @ left.
Nice, but seriously get hd600 and sell that similar but inferior pair you've got.
Yes, getting them will be one decision you'll never regret.
I cried between seconds of HD600. It's that good. If you can't enjoy music to this degree, either your headphones suck or you're a psychopath.
Nothing wrong with enjoying a little soy sauce while listening to HD600. I personally take pleasure on that.

give me your address and i will send you a bag of scuffed gateron pbt that i have no use for so you can not post that greasy monstrosity anymore

What amp/source?

They're not for me, for a friend who needs on ear for working out. Not sure whether she would like open or closed though, need to ask today.

>hackerman keycaps