How's gentoo as a desktop os? I'm asking seriously

How's gentoo as a desktop os? I'm asking seriously

like every other linux based os

arguably the best distro IF AND ONLY IF you have the time/knowledge/autism to use it

It *can* sorta get in the way initially, but after you've got everything done, it's comfy as shit.

TRU 4yrs going on same install

Gentoo is the best. You should use it if u are not brainlet. If u are brainlet use Ubuntu

gentoo is bad, as it makes you a slave to the convenience of a repository-based package manager.
It's best to use slackware or dragora

Practically the same as arch but the dsgin philosophy differs

I've been using it exclusively as a desktop OS for seven or eight years. Current install is about six years old. When I started using it I didn't know much about Linux and there was a very steep learning curve, but I didn't mind that because learning about Linux was the reason I switched to it. If you're willing and able to learn how it works it will be easier to use than most other distros, assuming that you ever want to do anything other than browse the web. If you're not, it will be harder.

>Doing things the tedious way for internet points

No thanks

how's the compile side of the distro? Overly memed? How is updating the system compared to arch, or even a debian dist-upgrade?

portage is slow as fuck compared to pacman and it takes up to one hour to compile big packages auch as chromium or libreoffice on a recent CPU.

Pointless unless you have one of those industrial 64 core CPUs.

>waah I can't manpage gcc

Use debian if you want a reliable and mature distro. Upgrade it to sid if you want cutting edge; it's more stable than some "stable" distros.

Use clover. It's just a preconfigured Gentoo with an installer.

Portage is by far the best package manager available

Just don't be a brainlet and it isn't hard at all.

it's not the hardness, rather the time you waste upgrading every package.

the best

>All files created are secretly embedded with the entire yotsuba manga series

what the hell kind of browser is that?!

.... I like it

How is it wasted time when it just runs in the background during shitposting

it's firefox with a custom css and 4chanx w/ oneechan

veerry nice

I'd like to know how to get that. I can see where to get 4chanX, but I guess I'd need a particular link for the css?

You're spreading a shit ton of negativity. Yes, Portage is slow, but it checks a lot of things pacman does not, which is why the system breakage meme is so common with Arch. As for compiling, there's always ccache, distcc, binhosts, compiling over night, or for the one or 2 packages in your system where this might actually be a problem, there's official binary packages. The customizability (and also stability) you get from compiling is well worth it.

the best

been using it for 1½ year on my laptop, workstation and 2 servers.

i love it, it's blazing fast and customizable, it's perfect for personal use if you like to tinker and optimize.
however i work at an ISP where we use a mix of Fedora and Centos for servers. i don't think i would ever suggest putting gentoo on one of our routers / productions servers, simply because it's too tedious to keep compiling updates from source and stay in sync with the main tree and there is no room for errors or downtime.

could you elaborate on that? I can download binaries for firefox and what else? I really like the freedom gentoo gives you.

do you also work on the gentoo workstations? I mean not hobby projects, but rather more serious stuff? Also curious how a gentoo server would behave compared to centos or debian

Not trolling but what is the point of learning Linux by using gentil

There's binaries for firefox, libreoffice and such. Chrome is only available in binary format. Pic related is a very high quality list of packages matching *-bin according to eix. You can also make your own binaries for compiled packages for use on other systems.

it's great. takes a bit of time to get going, but once you've got it setup it's smooth sailing.

also, it's way easier to customize your software on it and keep it up to date. it's my favorite distro, and the only downside is that some packages take insane amounts of time to build (webkit, qtwebengine mostly)

>on a recent cpu
yikes. anyone have experience running it on a craptop?
the last time I tried it on my core 2 duo a few years back it took a full day just to compile the kernel
do you all just cross compile stuff on faster machines?

Good if you understand it or know how to read documentation so you'll understand it. Bad otherwise. I like it

Gentoo dont love kernel minimalism. After removing 200+ options in kernel config my system won't boot and i reinstall it everyday.

>a slave to the convenience of a repository-based package manager
Implying you can't just setup your own local portage repository with your own ebuilds.

it's not as bleeding as arch by default but you can enable testing ebuilds

>eduroam
Get back to work!

no, only time consuming if you really want to learn linux go lfs and do the daily productive programming grind.

Been using it on my cheapo Dell Inspiron laptop for about a couple months now. Took me a couple days to get everything compiled and running to my liking, and learning how to configure Portage and all that jazz was a bit confusing at first, but the end result is outstanding. The overall performance compared to any other distro I've used was pretty surprising, everything is much snappier and just 'faster' for lack of a better word. Basically ended any further desire to distro-hop.

not him but read stuff about the userchrome.css and tinker with it

>Uptime: 10 mins

It's always like these.
The retards that do horrendous things like these, just to look 'good' (he believes that shit looks good, rofl) on desktop threads never actually use the system they claim as 'the best', they just setup a VM to pretend.

Fuck off.

/thread

basically sums up any screenfetch thread, /mg/, /umg/ and any other unemployed anime neet wannabe posting those abominations in a nutshell. Not to mention they think that shit looks /minimal/, when it looks more bloated and unecessary than a default gnome installation.

Been using it for a month I think. It’s pretty great so far.
The only issue I have will be installing git-annex on my relatively small SSD since it pulls in all of Haskell.

>>Uptime: 10 mins
why would i let my laptop run 24/7?
>they just setup a VM to pretend
look at the neofetch, dummy
>ever actually use the system they claim as 'the best'
i wouldn't be claiming it's the best if i wasn't using it
and i wouldn't be using it if it wasn't the best
>Fuck off
no u
i'm not a neet.
>when it looks more bloated and unecessary than a default gnome
no u
no u

don't worry guys, you'll be able to install gentoo one day, even if you lack average intelligence
it's amusing how you're telling yourselves fiction that make you feel less insecure about it

The setup can be a little labourious but it's not hard to maintain. The community is relatively small but friendly and helpful. Portage is great after you get your head around it.

Not even Linus go for LFS.

I am running debian stable with i3, some stupid gnu browser, on a thinkpad x220. is gentoo good with drivers and shit like that? what about i3 and fake firefox and all the software like that?

if you have to ask such a dumb question, gentoo's not for you yet

driver shit is p important mate. quit being a dickwad and shoot me straight

ask yourself this: do gentoo and debian use the same kernel?
if the answer is yes, then gentoo is as "good with drivers" as debian
>what about i3 and fake firefox and all the software like that
what about them? most if not all of the software you use on debian is in the gentoo repos
you also have third party repos similar to the AUR that you can use for software not in the official repos

but that's how arch became big

How hard is it to install Gentoo compared to Arch? Is it just the compile time which is the hurdle?

it's not harder than installing arch
if you've installed arch, it shouldn't take you more than like 20 min to install gentoo (w/o the compile time) while skimming through the handbook
it's basically the same process, the only difference is that instead of running pacstrap or whatever, in the beginning you download the "stage3" tarball that contains the base system and unpack it to your root partition
after chroot, you select your profile (that defines your default USE flags and portage variables) and you run `emerge -uND @world` for the first time which will install/rebuild everything according to your profile (which is the part where you wait for stuff to compile while doing something else)