Show me yfw he's describing every Sup Forumstant ever

show me yfw he's describing every Sup Forumstant ever

what a virgin lmao

What a fucking retarded braindead faggot, not one sentence of that idiotic rant makes even the slightest sense

What's his problem with his brother asking him about the Cure and those other bands?

I love how a lot of people in Sup Forums always say something like "none of this makes sense" or sincerely "what does he mean by this?" when something does make a little sense even if it is a mess.

>5 stars to Rick Astley, Big Black and ZZ Top
>still shares his hot opinions

Nah, he's right about fucks on websites like Sup Forums not really connecting to the music they listen to, but that's only because the tendency now is to listen to so much music they can't possibly be connecting to all of it

Idgi, if people want to listen to more than the same 2-3 albums over and over again they're soulless?

>you guys dont REALLY like music, i know because i really like music

why should we be incredulous of the claim that people can connect to stylistically disparate artists, again? we all experience a vast array of emotions, don't we? why the fuck shouldn't i be able to appreciate something exceedingly violent alongside something joyously elated?

He's kinda right. Still a cringy edgelord though.

i can't tell if you're being genuine or not

this

why wouldn't that be a genuine post?

because

>if you're not a normie you don't truly enjoy music

OK guy.

fuck off

fuck off, i only listen to music i enjoy and i think thats the same for most people here
if i wanted to jump down the ideological "mental wallpaper" road I could equate to literally any part of conscious thought, hes not being deep, hes just a clueless idiot who can't into more-than-one-dimensional-ideas ideas.
Thinking you're different from everyone else here or thinking that you've realized that pic related is "right" in you eyes is just hurrr durrr mental wallpaper

>Man, this generation! Ugh! I wish we could go back to simpler times because all the downs are filtered through my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, and I only remember the ups! Back then I was just about as miserable as I am now, but now I just blame my problems on those who are younger than me!

I do feel like I don't enjoy music with the purity I used to when I was younger.

I think that may just be a symptom of getting older, though. I wish I didn't think so hard about what I was listening to, and WHY I enjoyed it. Back then I used to just listen and love it, now it's like I look at the music from multiple angles every time I listen. It's exhausting but I don't think I could turn that off if I tried.

I don't remember the last time a song just totally moved me or blew me away. It feels like it's been a long time.

I feel like this is the same for most forms of media though if you go from being a naive child to being an actual enthusiast in it. You start looking more closely at every part of it and not just enjoying it purely like how you did before. Part of that is getting older though as well.

that guy's 27. i know, ten years older than you, seems crazy

Thats kinda sad, i almost felt like I understood what you were talking about then you said you hadn't had a song totally move you or blow you away, i have that happen to me quite often, things i never could have enjoyed when i was younger are so beautiful to me now, i even got a panic attack from ITOATS recently, and yes i know thats autistic. Actually thats REALLY fucking sad

I cant tell if youre being post-genuine or proto-ironic

Hes a fucking 27 and hes acting like hes 45 for fucks sake

yo sick criticism

ok the answer is yes you're being a faggot gotcha

Even if you were right, 17 is still about three times your age, both physically and mentally

xD

holy fuck lmao please tell me you're being serious

there is nothing wrong with Big Black user

>avant-teens

y-yeah well you smell
dork

i still don't get why the fuck that wouldn't be serious

and i have no idea how this relates to my post

i really like big black too but 5 stars for any of their albums? come on

Sup Forums has the largest percentage of newfags and redditors because this is the first place teens move to from Sup Forums because they don't have any other hobbies

I would think video games would be more popular as first hobbies than music.

Hi Sup Forums

So basically he's pissy because he thinks certain people shouldn't connect with certain types of music.

He's right that it's kind of lame when people go through a bunch of short phases. Getting WAY into a genre for a few months and then switching to something else and forgetting the other genre almost entirely. Instead of just exploring everything naturally as you gain an interest in it and appreciating all types of music.

But his idea that it's wrong or disingenuous to be interested in multiple genres and a variety of artists is complete bullshit.

this thread is just kids proving the OP pic right, i love it keep it cumming

Why is that, though? Easy to get loads and loads of it these days, i guess?

well yeah that too. lots and lots of people in the world man, its easy for it to feel like everybody is part of one thing when you're a part of it

wtf does that even mean? is it preposterous to think some people out there really love big black that much? i'd probably give atomizer at least 4.5.

Forgot about Sup Forums

That place is pretty immature too I'll bet

Sup Forums is fucking awful. I like video games but Sup Forums is shit and the video game industry is also shit and just makes trying to talk about video games even worse.

It's funny going on there and seeing music threads though and seeing everyone shit on Sup Forums as if Sup Forums isn't a million times worse.

>But his idea that it's wrong or disingenuous to be interested in multiple genres and a variety of artists is complete bullshit.
Well people who do that only listen superficially. There is so much of a certain genre, it's unlikely you'll truly penetrate it if you are also listening to a million other things.

>kids these days are listening to the best artists of the last number of decades instead of the soulless pop music the radio plays
>I am very concerns by this

Literally what?

you're what he's talking about holy shit hahaha

what kind of bullshit is this? are you saying you can't appreciate a given artist within a genre unless you have a full understanding of the genre itself?

>what is context

So you're saying people aren't allowed to listen to anything but one single genre or subgenre of music because doing anything else means they aren't fully appreciating it?

I think Atomizer is a 5, fight me

Although I should rerate it sometime

the point is that you don't have the context to give a fair evaluation of a specific artist. there's also the fact that if you really like the artist (say, consider their output 8/10+), you'll explore the genre they're in more, but Sup Forumstants tend to just cherrypick a few rockist-friendly albums and give them 5.0s on RYM to prove their "range." then they come on here and call people who actually like classical and jazz music "poseurs." it's very ironic.

>So you're saying people aren't allowed to listen to anything but one single genre or subgenre of music
No they can listen to whatever they want.

But it's unlikely they'd appreciate it, and they are most likely listening superficially anyways.

such context is necessary for understanding a specific genre, not for a particular artist within it. the idea that someone's appreciation for an artist is somehow superficial unless they listen to every other artist that plays within that genre is laughable and you're an idiot for positing it.

He's right the majority of people here are idiots just trying to fit it and are using for music the image except me ofc

this is like saying you can have a reasonable opinion of how good a president Obama is without knowing anything about any of the other presidents. you can make very specific descriptions (see: Fantano), but judgment, which relies on comparison, would be woefully uninformed, if possible at all.

>not for a particular artist within i
Why bother investigating a specific artist in the first place?

Well I imagine that means nobody is appreciating music then. Even people in the 70s I doubt fit the criteria you and the guy in OP's image are describing despite those being the ones everyone points to as being ideal.

:)

:(

anyone who samples new genres vigorously, does background reading on what they're listening to, and continues to make connections, either in read-up knowledge or most ideally in listened-to knowledge, is appreciating music. just because you think this is such a hard thing to do 'cause you're used to running with a number from melon man or p4k doesn't mean a lot of people don't do this.

>Well I imagine that means nobody is appreciating music then
Well, just millennials.
>Even people in the 70s I doubt fit the criteria you and the guy in OP's image are describing
You mean people who earned the right to listen to the music?

The point
____
Your head

you're conflating appreciation with criticism. i'd agree completely that broad understanding of the necessary context is necessary to form an intelligent opinion, but to say that someone can only superficially enjoy charles mingus without having a firm grounding in the history of jazz is idiotic.

I thought you said genre hopping means you don't appreciate music. Also I don't watch Fantano or go to P4K. But please, continue to generalize.

Yeah, anyone from 1985 and on doesn't appreciate music.

>earned the right to listen to the music
What does this even mean

maybe because you're interested in the style they play but have yet to investigate it? or upon recommendation from a friend?

i'm not saying that. i'm objecting to the fact that people use the cover of "muh superficial enjoyment" when they're called on acting as if they have deeper knowledge. this is a CONSTANT trend on Sup Forums and the RYM accounts associated with its anons, and with Fantano himself - it's the "just my opinion man" get out of jail free card to implement once you've been given enough rope to hang your own credibility. if people would just admit to liking this music superficially and not posing as somehow well-versed in jazz (or whatever else), no one would care, and posts like the one in the OP wouldn't be made by curmudgeons.

>maybe because you're interested in the style they play
Why are you interested?
>>earned the right to listen to the music
>What does this even mean
See

i haven't said that, no. it's good to genre-hop, but it's important to not be a dilettante. it's important to actually sink your teeth into new frontiers of exploration instead of just grabbing one approved album to flaunt your diverse taste with.

>Why are you interested?
because it sounds like something you'd enjoy? or maybe you're just interested in trying a new style to see what it has to offer? what kind of question is that?

>because it sounds like something you'd enjoy?
Read: superficial

I don't see anything in OP's post or image about "earning the right to listen to music". I'm not even understanding what the guy in OP's problem is. He's saying some people use music as like a fashion or something and then goes on to complain about his brother asking him about the Cure and assuming he only is listening to them and those other two bands to look cool and that he can't possibly enjoy them.

how is that superficial? what reason do you have for exploring new genres/artists?

Oh wow. You can't possibly be this fucking dense.

>enjoyment
Nice argument
>he can't possibly enjoy them
How could he? They are all completely different.

what's enjoying got to do with it? OP didn't post the full review, but he's talking about really connecting with music, actually getting a deeper meaning out of it other than "lol yup sounds good nice to listen to" he's talking about DRAWING A LINE IN THE SAND

>>enjoyment
what are you trying to say?

The only songs that move me anymore are ones that make me feel nostalgia for earlier days.

Please tell me someone can relate.

>How dare they enjoy something that's not from their generation! They might have listened to the music, but they didn't actually hear it!

>How could he? They are all completely different.
Yes, humans are single dimensional creatures that can only like a single thing ever.

Yes, there's a difference I suppose but at the same time just because you're not completely losing yourself in the music and like fucking bonding with it or whatever the fuck doesn't mean you're only listening to it for indie cred or whatever the guy in OP's image is trying to say. I don't think people are capable of connecting on that level to any decent amount of stuff and there aren't only those two categories of "enjoyment" or whatever other word you want to use.

And the guy in OP's image seems to think that this was a regular thing back in the 70s or some arbitrary point in the past. The average person didn't connect on this level to a lot of the music they listened to anymore than someone today does.

>humans are single dimensional creatures that can only like a single thing ever
Well if they did, they truly will understand that one thing, won't they?

It's called specialization

On the other hand, if they also like many different polarizing things, odds are they are only investigating each thing superficially. That is what should be discouraged.

>The average person didn't connect on this level to a lot of the music they listened to anymore than someone today does.

so anyone who wishes to explore a new genre because they think they'll enjoy it will only ever be able to superficially appreciate it? you're either autistic or an idiot, dude.

>so anyone who wishes to explore a new genre because they think they'll enjoy it will only ever be able to superficially appreciate it?
Well they can. But they have to put a limit on the amount of genres they delve into. Otherwise they will experience diminishing returns.

I'm sure that guy that went dancing at the disco every Friday night in 1976 was really connected to the music, user.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

When has this ever been a thing?

not at all. the more genres one delves into, the greater understanding one has of what music can accomplish, and thus the greater appreciation one has for what music truly is. you place too much importance on understanding specific genres, not enough on appreciating music holistically. obviously no one will ever have a full understanding of music, it's far too broad, but dipping your feet in as many styles as you can (while of course delving as deep as you can into the styles you connect the most with) will give you the deepest understanding and appreciation of music as an art form.

>ITT: people who believe there is a "right way" to listen to music

How much music or how long does someone have to listen to the same genre before they're allowed to go listen to a new one without being called a poser?

>Why is everyone in this generation stupid except me?

>ITT: people who believe there isn't a "right way" to listen to music
>ITT: people who believe there is a "wrong way" to listen to music
>ITT: people

This

For any listener from the post-internet age
>not at all. the more genres one delves into, the greater understanding one has of what music can accomplish,
See Of course there is.

Why can't you come up with an original image board post?

Why fix it

dfsbhidgasohjudgfsdjbjerojaregndfsg'pjewrw

>For any listener from the post-internet age
I think you mean pre, but again, the average person in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s didn't adhere to your arbitrary rules. If they didn't listen to a variety of music it's because they weren't able to expand their tastes because it was more difficult to actually delve into different things without the internet, not because they thought listening to too much music would paradoxically mean they were only doing it superficially.

But this just isn't true.

you immediately resort back to that being superficial, but i counter by saying that your appreciation of music as a whole is superficial unless you go for as broad an understanding of it as possible. again, your insistence on understanding/appreciating only a highly specialized subsection of music is autistic at best, idiotic at worst.

so, basically, you are the one appreciating music incorrectly, fucking pleb.

Tfw so many widely different music genres but so little time in a single life.

Do you guys know that feel?
Post a feel frog if yes

>I think you mean pre
No, I mean post. Did you read the thread?
>the average person in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s didn't adhere to your arbitrary rules
Not consciously, no. But they adhered to it unknowingly because they discovered music organically and earned the right to listen to it. The result is appreciation.
>but i counter by saying that your appreciation of music as a whole is superficial unless you go for as broad an understanding of it as possible
Incorrect. it's superficial as a whole unless you know music theory.

Do you?