/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/02/01/on-webkit-security-updates/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it possible to use the firefox kdialog patch on DEs other than KDE (ideally without pulling in a shitload of dependencies)?

Moreover, are there any other DEs that don't fall victim to the filepicker meme? I tried LXQT on Manjaro and really liked it, but alas, as far as I can tell, the standard filepicker in it is just as bad, if not worse (tested on Chromium and Qupzilla).

That being said, I found this image in the archives. I believe they said they were on Debian. How do I escape the filepicker meme without switching to KDE?

Conversely, here's what I get.

running debian + i3, it's great so far. I've configured my thinkpad's fingerprint reader as the primary authentication method via fprintd-pam

that being said, every time I boot my machine, I'm still prompted to enter the username. does anyone know of a quick and painless solution to this?
I want to be able to boot the machine and have a username selected and inputted already, and only have to swipe my finger. tia

pic related

>How do I escape the filepicker meme without switching to KDE?
Install the gtk patches and hope it works for you. If you're still on Manjaro, you can install the AUR packages.
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk3-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

who forgot to flush the shitter?

Is he committing suicide ?

Thanks. I'll probably end up rolling with that in the end.

That being said, I wonder if the LXQT Manjaro spin has an outdated version of LXQT or something? After all, the notes for the most recent release state:
>New Open/Save File dialog -> Qt apps use the newly designed file dialog with all the features as provided by pcmanfm-qt

That user had to of gotten that filepicker somehow. I think he said he was on Debian sid, so I'll try that.

From what I can recall, firefox-kde-opensuse is usable on other non-KDE distros, but you have to trick your xorg environment into thinking that you're using KDE by setting a few variables. But that was years ago when it was KDE4, so I couldn't tell you if it's any different now.

Turn on autologin. Then you won't have to enter the username, and you won't have to swipe your finger either.
>Debian 6
Why would you run such an oldo distribution?

Just use Chromium.
blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/02/01/on-webkit-security-updates/

not my screenshot, im running debian stretch

i don't want to enable autologin, I'd like to keep password/fingerprint authentication for login but I don't want to have to type in my username each time

Yeah, I saw a couple posts referencing that in the archives. I tried it on my Ubuntu install in XFCE using the plasmazilla PPA, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I also tried using installing the patch within my Manjaro LXQT VM, but it was being sort of fucky. It may be worth screwing around with a bit more, though.

It still uses the GTK filepicker on my system, and it uses an even worse filepicker on the Manjaro spin I tried. I know that it would work just fine on KDE, but I don't really want to use KDE.

Okay, so, just a quick update. Just tried out Debian testing, looks like you get a file picker with proper thumbnail view, but it only works with Qt based browsers (so, Qupzilla, Qutebrowser, etc.) I guess the distros I was trying out were just supplying an outdated version of LXQT (I tried Fedora, too, and it didn't have it either).

So, there you go. Pretty neat. Guess that's one more thing you can reference next time the filepicker meme comes up. If only it worked with Firefox or Chromium.

>each time
Why are you rebooting more than once a month?

So... enable autologin...when you login...run a locking program/screensaver program...have your thumbprint tie in to this program...fucking novel idea bruh

Convince me to install linux on my netbook considering I am not even playing anything at the moment and only surf and watch shitty videos that I download cause my internet is shit.

I wanna do it just to learn bash and linux all around to be honest. I'd dualboot it, but windows won't let me free enough space on my harddrive to make a decently sized new partition so I am thinking of going balls deep and installing only linux.

Should I install debian or gentoo? And why?
Again, I wanna focus on learning Bash mainly... So I can maybe net a system admin job, although I'll probably not have to use linux anyway.
Pls respond.

quick duck search for "unbloat kde" wasn't helpful

any other tip? I already uninstalled Discovery

>duck search
Dont use ddg
Use searx

Uninstall KDE entierly and instal Lxqt.

I tried, I was using one of the iterations but I really like the flags in DDG

Distro for general use, vidya/animu/music etc. The "it just werks" type as I don't care for ricing faggotry or fiddling around and customizing things all day long. What are the best options for this?

wasn't that abandoned?

ubuntu

how do I into bootable linux on an sd card (64gb) in osx? I am running osx and using parallels atm (fag-tier). Aiming for either ubuntu or mint

I really try to listen to experts on this, like privacytools.io

I can't fucking wait until the answer to this question is NixOS or GuixSD.

If you check that webpage,searx is is first on the list

:^)

I mean, if they remove it I'll drop it, too

Did you read ?
Its glaringly obvious its a botnet

I've seen it many times, I don't follow memes

Look up the information if you think its a "meme".
An infographic with FACTS in them is not a meme at all.

user, but what about my KDE question??

Searx it on a proper search engine and you may be amazed on the results

it's a laptop that spends a lot of time off-plug. i shutdown instead of sleeping

thanks but that's not what im asking for. work on your reading comprehension

No, it is what you are looking for, it solves your problem PERFECTLY. You're just too ignorant to follow others directions

The only FACT I can derive from it is that the person who posted it is mentally challenged.

Okay I'm a compete brainlet I think.

Old computer died, I move around a ton so I bought a new laptop. Leopard GP72, heard good things, loved the display. Works good, but getting real sick of Windows 10, so I look into trying Linux. Brand new to it so I'm trying Ubuntu first.

I don't have a disc, so I'm trying to run off of a USB. I've got it set as an .iso, and I went into BIOs and set the first boot option as USB.

Now, however, when I try to access it my computer says no media is detected on start up so it just boots as usual into windows. Why tho

Also, anyone have experience with MSI laptops and Linux? Is it really just not worth it?

you aren't ready for linux, just being real with you.

You need to "burn" the iso on to the usb
Use rufus

I already did this using UUI, a couple times in case that was the issue. I don't believe that's it.
Possibly and probably totally right, but I want to at least know my options in the future since a lot of people in my field use it and I want to stay competitive. Appreciate it tho

>I already did this using UUI,
Use rufus

What's your guys' opinion on ArchLabs? I'm trying it out and it's pretty /comfy/

No, LXDE was abandoned. LXQT is its replacement (which is the reason why LXDE was abandoned).

I been using linux for a few years now.

How hard will the Linux+ be? I need another cert to go along with my ccna so I can get a noc/jr network engineer job.

The infographic both insults ixquick and recommends startpage when they're literally the same company, that's how you know it's made by an idiot

nope, that's not it :^)
have a nice day

>GUH NOME

how the fuck do printer settings clutter a print dialog? that's literally what a print dialog is for

How can I make my Fedora notebook more secure?

delete fedora and replace it with a more secure system, like windows 10

You were right, not entirely sure why UUI didn't work when the process seemed the exact same. Happy with it however.

And yet, he uses GNOME 3 nowadays, even though he even admits it's a huge piece of garbage.

Where did it all go so wrong?

So I've got the same issue with audio again. Horrible screechy scratchy sounds with mic over 3.5mm jacks, front and back of machine. Details are:
ElementaryOS (also tried Kubuntu, Ubuntu itself, seems to be an issue with debian based systems)
Pulseaudio
Fresh install
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H board (Realtek ALC887 chip)
Testing using loopback-module. Seems to quieten down using Discord calls to test if I kill loopback.

Fingers have been pointing at bad resample rates, echo cancellation not working or bad drivers. But it does this for the built in (shitty) bluetooth mic on my headphones as well. Has NO ONE else encountered this issue? It's not exclusive to this mic that I've tried.

I'm only saying this because you say you've had this problem before. Have you considered asking elsewhere? Stackexchange for example, or your distros forum if it has one?

On Sup Forums I'm pretty sure most people just gloss over anything they don't already know the answer to. This isn't the best place to do back and forth troubleshooting.

dmcrypt non-boot volume, lvm partiion. provision 80% of volume group, small root, ecryptfs on /home. setenforce 1. Generate new ssh and gpg keys per machine, never let them pass over the wire, sneakernet only. Caching DNS server via dnsmasq. disable root account, secondary administrative user, login via unprivileged user.

Or just say fuckit and exclusively boot from a Tails USB stick.

no need to install linux for bash
just install cygwin or the linux subsystem on windows

but if you must, I wouldn't rec either as a first time linux user
debian is shit with proprietary drivers
and gentoo is only neat when you have the processing power to compile everything

get ubuntu or something with a graphical installer that also takes care of your proprietary drivers

>installing R packages via the R workspace because said packages are unavailable in Debian's repo
>R's package manager too stupid to resolve dependencies
>still needs me to install a whole bunch of shit via the real package manager to move on with installing 500 other packages
Yikes.

I would rather use Google, because it's less pretentious.

It's for retards who don't need Arch, but who think it's cool and who will post their screenshots of screenfetch.
You are one o those retards apparently.

are you properly grounded? I know I was having tons of audio problems with my laptop when plugged in because it wasn't grounded.

So I'm screwing around with a cheap Ip cam I bought and thought I'd give cracking the device a go.

I have the firmware for the device and have managed to extract 3 .ext images from it, the first ext image (ext2 type) I can navigate as a complete file system using a standard mount command.

The other two which from what I can tell are just partitions for the main file system and I have an idea what the mount points are, all have the same UUID when inspected with the file command but when I attempt to mount these on their own I get an error:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Is there any way to mount the 3 ext files as a single navigable mount point?

Nothing wrong with a duck that's a little full of itself. It's called foie gras btw

How do you do that and not broke the toilet?

barbaric desu

I'm using Debian Stretch and I want to play a video using ffplay, but I get an error: "SDL: could not set video mode - exiting". Also, when I pass video_size option it throws "Option video_size not found". Anyone had this issue before?

Can someone please post the exact configuration of vsftpd.conf so I can get my windows machine to map to the server? Boss doesn't want to use filezilla.

Whoever made this retarded image should feel bad fir spreading such an extreme tech illiteracy.

It's literally like yelling DUDES FIREFOX SENDS YOUR IP TO ALL WEBSITES YOU VISIT

Debian worked fine yesterday, today I get this message on boot. It's been stuck on that same block for a few minutes and is completely unresponsive. What's up with this?

Did you update or change anything?

No, I did some driver installing and such because it's a relatively fresh install but I had already rebooted several times after doing so.

Your HDD is going to fail, I believe.
First, make a carbon copy with dd, second - give it some more time to see if it recovers and then check your SMART.

I need a DE for 2560x1440 resolution. Most DEs are apparently made by NEETs who use shitty laptops from ten years ago with 1366x768 res so they don't scale well. I'm talking about LXDE, XFCE, MATE, and whatever is the default in Manjaro. Unity and GNOME seems to have options to scale text and GUI to high resolutions. What other DEs have this? I would also prefer one where I can completely disable mouse acceleration.

KDE

Any chance of knowing which partition it's referencing, I mean, it says sdc2 but I don't know which that one is? I know my windows one was displayed as sdX in the file manager and I wouldn't want that to fail, hence my worry.

Lubuntu user here. I decided to pick openbox in the login screen today and now im stuck in it. My PC is set to automatically login and i dont have a logout option. typing "openbox --exit" makes my dekstop unresponsive but doesnt log out.
Help, i want to go back to LXDE

First of all, that's not an interactive message. That's simply stating that fsck already ran. That's a normal message.

>unresponsive
See if you can switch to a different tty. Chances are your X session is failing to start and that's why you're stuck on there. Once you're in a shell check your logs.

Delete the .dmrc file in your home directory which holds the default session for your user. Then you can log in to the LXDE session.

I can't, that's what I meant by unresponsive. It doesn't let me do shit besides rebooting. Rebooting of course takes me to the exact same place.

What did you try to switch ttys? Which keys did you press?
Boot into an emergency shell using a kernel paramenter and then take it from there.

ctr+alt+F everything. alt + arrowkeys. What command do I run once I'm in the emergency shell?

1. reboot
2. in grub press e to edit your debian line
3. find the line starting with "linux"
4. from that line remove "quiet" and add "verbose"
5. press F10 to boot. Now the kernel and systemd should print out A LOT of messages so you can see where things stop.

You check your logs the same way you'd normally do.

i tried to edit a lightdm.conf file but i think i fucked up and now my lubuntu is stuck loading forever.
[SeatDefaults]
allow-guest=false
autologin-guest=false
autologin-user=lubuntu
autologin-user-timeout=0

im posting from the LiveUSB "try lubuntu" thing wich doesnt have enough permissions to edit this file or any others i think...

Ah, I'll try that. Thanks

Which file did you edit?
Either way, reboot to your installed OS, not the live session. Switch to a different tty, log in, either revert the changes you made or remove the file if it belongs to a package and reinstall the package to restore the original file.

flatpack for firefox without the meme file picker where?

i edited /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
i will try what you say now

I want to make a network backup server controlled by a RPI3.
Where do I start?
What should I pay attention to?
Is rsync a good choice or there are better ways to do things?

switching to a different tty doesnt give me a login option, as they seem to all be loading (blinking underscore in all of them)
i will just install Kubuntu or other ubuntu distro, sorry for wasting your time

You can remove that file. The other configuration files installed by the lightdm package (in /usr) probably contain all the changes made by the distribution. Files in /etc are installed by the users (or should be).

Add "emergency" to your kernel line and change the file from the shell you get there.

has anyone used lo/g/os? any thoughts?

It's made by retards for retards. There is absolutely no reason to use that over an upstream distribution. No one uses it except to boot up their VM and post a screenfetch screenshot. To be honest, a bunch of retards do the same with any distribution. Just check the up-time field in the screenshots and you'll see it.

Best distros for beginners besides Ubuntu?
I want something that acts very similar to Windows to adapt easily.

Kubuntu

But more seriously, there's Mint and Q4OS but I've never used either. Q4OS is designed to look exactly like windows.

better than cloveros at least