What is it with Animal Collective?

why does everyone fucking love animal collective? granted i haven't listened to their whole discography but what I have is just bogus... am I doing it wrong? which albums are best?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-6e5vnJcRYo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>which albums are best?

they started at their peak

need more drugs

Strawberry Jam

Start with Strawberry Jam and Feels.

I do drugs... love radiohead and arcade fire, old shit like moody blues and Floyd and pet sounds late Beatles etc etc etc... just can't deal with all the noise and pop of AC...

Everything pre- Sung Tongs is objective GOAT. Other than that it's up to taste.

>arcade fire
>late beatles
>floyd

Jesus fuck kill yourself you don't even deserve to have ears

Just listen to Sung Tongs and STGSTV. Everything else is shit.

lil bitch if you ask me.

>Campfire Songs
>HCTI
These are studio albums by the experimental pop group Animal Collective

uh yeah you gotta get recalibrated. psych ain't anthemic in the sense that Wish u were here or Let it Be or The Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) is. It's much more tactile on your ears for one. For two, fuck you i'm out.

This
How could two guys in their early 20s come out with something so beautiful on their first try?

Why haven't they made anything this good since then? Why have they pretty much gone consistently downhill?

I like them not only because they have made some really beautiful music but because I am from the Baltimore area. They capture the angst of not fitting in around here that many of us feel. Surrounded by rich lacrosse players from old money families who are just down right cruel. I love them because they just did their own thing instead of rebelling against that. Many local musicians that I know got into it because they were angry about what they've dealt with growing up here, but AnCo is making music because they love it. It's hard to explain it's just such a unique mentality.

2bh OP they are the best band of the 00's and if you want to be "cool" you better listen to all 11 of their albums

This might be a you problem

they're like the biggest boy band of the indie world

think of like one direction or backstreet boys

>campfire songs
>animal collective
pick 1

2000-2009 = GOAT

best band of 00's? either music just sucks now or people's ears have devolved. arcade fire> animal collective

listen to sung tongs and if you dont like it, congrats you dont like anco

> arcade fire> animal collective

great bait

This chart explains it.

why are you discussing pleb indie rock bands when you could discuss experimental music that actually drives forward culture and creativity far more than fucking anco

okay, thanks for the suggestion... had to turn off strawberry jam...

like?

B8

>animal collective are pelb indie rock bands for plebs guys xD

21 Pilots :))

Their 2000's output was nothing short of phenomenal. They completely owned that decade. As for their best album, I think it's probably a tossup between Here Comes the Indian and Feels.

WE

OPN would be an example to take a quite well-known artist.

exactly ;)

before your time user and their first few albums where unique and pretty great

OPN is so different it's pointless to compare, except that I love Anco for the same reason I love OPN, because I have heard nothing that sounds similar and it's as good as they are, they're each for different moods.

I was in your place for a while then I checked out this song because of a creepy pasta/ ARG:

youtu.be/-6e5vnJcRYo

I listened to sung tongs then strawberry jam, after that I recommend listening to floridada and golden gals, and then listen to painting with, you should be fully immersed into the ANCO fandom

I feel you. I felt like I didn't "get" them for like an entire year. I don't know what it was that made them click for me, but now they're probably my favorite band ever.

Protip: Try listening to them outside on a hot summer day

this^

Listen to them in June while washing your car, and drinking an Arnold palmer

I meant this one

i didn't get them at first, but i listened to My Girls every day until i couldn't get it out of my head and then the whole album clicked instantly

after that Strawberry Jam, then Sung Tongs, STGSTV...

Not even close
This meme needs to end

did you just make that?

>all this talk and not a single mention of Strawberry Jam
Lunatic animal collective is the best

One of the few albums I felt nostalgic listening to on first listen, it just reminds me of childhood

2004-2006 was their best era.

this, and also not even anco, anco started with danse manatee, which is p good, but also not really near their peak

>failing to understand that while pre-ST is ALMOST goat, it's truly ST-People that is best Animal Collective

this picture is kinda turning me on

that's why I love them

I seriously don't know anyone who considers Campfire Songs to be its own band. Pretty sure it was recorded before the name Animal Collective was being used anyway.

If you don't like it, then move on. We don't all have to like the same thing.

They're like the One Direction of experimentalism.

Shut up, nerd.

I fell in love with animal collective this year so let me tell you how it went down. I always knew "Bluish" and "Fireworks" thanks to a special friend and my sister. I saw Sup Forums keep talking about them so I looked into them. I fell in love with Feels, then it went to Strawberry Jam and then everything else. They're so unique every album is different yet still fun. every song on each album is different too. Feels has such rich background textures, the beautiful guitar arpeggios that Avery and Deakin do go so well with Panda's unique fast drumming. Avery sings so folky yet poppy and catchy ass songs, and Panda's and Deakins backing vocals fit so well, I especially love that they each do something different at different times. They know how to build up songs (Banshee Beat, Purple Bottle, Did You See?) they know how to have catchy choruses that you cant help but singing (down to find the swimming poooooooooooool) They know when to have instrumental buildups followed by a new line of lyrics that are just HYPE ( eh-ohhhhh DAT..DAT..DATDATDAT..Gotta crush high
Thought I crushed all I could
Crushed all I can then I touched your hand) or (Would you like to see me? Often. Though you don't need to see me Often) they also have relaxing songs with beautiful instrumentals and well placed background sounds thanks to Geologist that get you caught in a trance (Bees, Daffy Duck, Loch Raven, Flesh) You also get a little extra in between songs with these trippy ass sounds like the intro to the album with the little girls laughing. One awesome thing about Feels is the last song is this bundle of energy but as it ends so beautifully. one of the Best Album Closers

I agree I've gotten stoned as shit and still found them boring and annoying. Its just so derivative.

I feel the same way about Kanye Griot Savant West, so don't worry.

So I only really listen to Post Merriweather but I'm looking to listening more of these guys. I really enjoy songs like Summertime clothes and Guys Eyes. (And I think their latest album is str8 garbo)
What albums should i get?

Listen to Feels. There's many people on here that will agree it's their best work. but if you're in the mood for upbeat and energetic hear Strawberry Jam

because that's the most emotionally insane period of a young adult, and they probably were using a lot of drugs to cope as well

Didn't AnCo start with Here Comes the Indian? Danse and Hollindagain were both released as Avey Tare, Panda Bear, and Geologist.

Or do you mean stylistically?

Not him or her, but stylistically, Animal Collective began with Danse Manatee. In the summer of 2000, they sort of cracked the egg open as Panda puts it, by going through intensely involved jamming sessions to discover their sound. Danse Manatee was their attempt to translate their creative awakening that took place that summer onto a record.