/pmp/

portable music player thread

what players you using and how they workin? what headphones you got paired with it?

old:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.aliexpress.com/item/32810197803.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32810197803&productSubject=32810197803&shortkey=VJrma6Zr&addresstype=600
spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
shanling.com/download/List
rockbox.org/wiki/IpodPort
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaberg-south/ipods-mp3-players/grey-ipod-classic-6th-gen-128gb-ssd-refurbished-like-new-/1167997921
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaberg-south/ipods-mp3-players/auspods-black-ipod-fifth-generation-128gb-ssd-like-new-/1153201714
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because theres a pocket for it still in my briefcase, need to invest in some nice headphones however & the plastic piece that locks the screen broke so I need a new one at some point

Wut that?

Looks like a Creative DAP, my dad's got one with controls like that

Its a Zune Classic gents

Since it's clear that no DAP on the market would satisfy Sup Forums how about we make one up?
>Small, durable construction
>Long battery life
>Low power SoC (but enough processing power to run decent software)
>Decent software (not rockbox though, that thing is ancient and there are literally two people who can port it)
>Low power audio codec, not much power but clean enough for IEMs

First time on /pmp/

Have you guys made any lists of common recommended models or anything like that? I'm looking into getting one for when I'm doin' yard work and working out, and maybe for my car, but I don't even know where to start. I haven't had one since the old giant grey creative zen mp3 players of the very early 2000s

No.
Get one of the popular $20 chinkshit

I have a Pleneu D and it's absolutely god tier once you get passed the UI (which isn't as bad as it seems, it sorts well). Literal days of battery running non stop and external controls. Built in amp which is dank for driving anything i listen with. Expandable memory to ludicrous sizes. Only issue is its expensive but i just saved pizza delivery tips and could afford it. 9/10 doesn't have a flip screen.

Is this good?
m.aliexpress.com/item/32810197803.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32810197803&productSubject=32810197803&shortkey=VJrma6Zr&addresstype=600

>tfw my entire collection is in .opus
>can't use any player

All of the music on my DAP is Opus.

Ignore There actually is one, it's just a bit too outdated.
spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363

Trash that one I literally just dump specs into it.
There should be a general selection guide instead of a list of players out there.
They aren't really even "recommended"

FiiO X5 III with ER4SR

can you sync them with linux yet? It's why I stopped using mine like 8 years ago

model?

Sony Video Walkman y/n?

should i just save up for er4sr or just buy the er3sr? id probably feel weird with carrying around $350 in my pocket

Get ER3, it's the same thing except not made in murrica.

shanling m1 , m2s and m3s can play flac

>why would anyone want flashlight when their phone has one

i meant opus.
shanling.com/download/List
drag the update file onto an empty sd card and go into settings to update.

Im looking into this too, i cant decide between the plenue d, fiio x3, or the a20. From what ive researched, plenue d seems to have the most focus on straight up music listening. It has the best battery life (100 fuckn hours!) but it has no main menu, no bluetooth or usb dac and a bad ui. Fiio seems to have the best audio quality and has the usb dac, the gen 3 even has bluetooth. But it has the worst battery life of the bunch (8-10 hours), ui aint much better than plenue. A20 seems to have overall usability, has 50hrs battery life and bluetooth and has the best ui, sound is not as good as plenue d though.

Im probably gonna get the fiio for the best audio and the dac feature, glad the 3rd gen has bluetooth. If i were to run 320 mp3 files would it increase the battery life?

Maybe if you literally dump all your files in it and play randomly
But if you actually want to browse your structured library you'll want to kill yourself with a rusty rake

No, the power sink comes from the amplifier
Don't be surprised if it gets hot

Sony a35 or a45?

45 because why not

Welp, i live in a rather chilly area so i prob wouldnt mind a mini heater. But damn this would be perfect if the battery lifecwas just a fewmore hours longer

I own both of the devices in that picture and I can honestly say that the Walkman is better for everything except music quality (not that the Walkman is any way bad on that front anyway).

The Fiio is far too big and bulky to carry around, the UI is shit and laggy and the battery is awful in comparison.

I can't speak for the X3, but if it's audio quality is the same as the X1 then it's pretty average. The X5 is the only good DAP Fiio does.

Oh, i also forgot to mention the walkman gets rockbox support. So who knows maybe that seals the deal, but i heard rockbox also doesnt work too well with Bluetooth

i bought a new ipod 5th gen (no touch sceen), and im having trouble putting music on the thing without using itunes bros. how hard can it be to have a mp3 file and just transfer it to and ipod. ffs fckin apple sucks dick

I just use a 4th gen iPod Touch with the default iOS - I hate the new iOS that comes after because it's shitty for podcasts which is half of what I listen to.

man i cant install itunes for some fuckign reason so im fucked, do you know any other way to put music on an ipod? cuz i tried searching it (enabled locked / hidden files), deleted the existing songs and put the mp3 files in. when i start the ipod though i cant see the mp3 files i only FIND u2 and elbow fag shit pre installed on there. so what teh fuck do i do man

Sorry, user, I don't really know. I've never had any issues installing iTunes before. Does your computer recognize your iPod as a device with its own separate folder? Maybe you can drag and drop files into it. Probably won't work but that's the only idea I can think of.

fb2k has ipod support.
Only for old ones though, but anything pre-iOS should work

i did exactly that as an alternative but the mp3's songs i put in iPod_Control/music/(roughly500mp3 files), one, dont show up, two, only regocnizes the old files that were on there ergo u2 and elbow hipster fag shit. is there a way to "reset" your ipod?

Settings (that icon that's a grey gear) > General > Reset

im givin that a go user ill keep ya posted

Had the a20, really didn't like the sound and the cheap plastic finish
The plenue D is far better imo, especially if you like Jet Effect, premium finish and best battery life I've ever seen

I'm the user that was REEEEEing about the Plenue in the last thread.
It truly is a fucking gem and I would recommend it to everyone, but if you are, like me, a compulsive fucker who needs to fuck around with tracks and rewind and ff you are gonna hate it

i fixed it bros, i used floola and the music is on my ipod.

*steals your iPod*

>but if you are, like me, a compulsive fucker who needs to fuck around with tracks and rewind and ff you are gonna hate it
Will we ever find a device that will make us content, user?
Last time I was content I was using a sharp netMD or an old sony discman.
I miss volume dials.

I envy those that can listen to a track without fucking around with it.

its your burden now

A fuckbox with a huge wheel dial for volume, a huge wheel dial for playback control, dedicated buttons for 1. library view 2. playback view 3. current Playlist view, always on display playback view so that you can browse library while still controlling playback.
Software option to structure your library using tags of your choosing, like FUCK artist tag who the fuck uses it, why can't I have Genre>album artist>Album? Instead I have to pick a genre, an artist, an album and then listen to 3-4 tracks because the other 10 are tagged "artist ft. Other faggot" and my fucking software filters them OUT FUCK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I feel your pain so acutely it's as if we're in the same room and your rage waves are radiating into my face.
Fuck this gay earth.

Any zen micro mods?

Posting my pmp and go to headphones
If I knew it was going to be impossible to get replacements I would have bought two of both of them

iPod Video

>i bought a new ipod 5th gen (no touch sceen), and im having trouble putting music on the thing without using itunes bros.
What are you using for managing it? Foobar2000 + foo_dop plugin is really simple man.

just install rockbox
rockbox.org/wiki/IpodPort

Any cheap model that can play flacs ?

Anything Rockboxable

do you guys/gals get any weird looks when taking out your pmp in public?

x5 3rd gen with chinkfiman edition s is what i use going to and at uni

no

Been using pic related for a couple of months now, I love it.

nope, i get
>woa wats that thing you got there
>can i see can i see?
>cool

i know i know, im a badass

My smartphone....which has the same exact audio quality as a 5000 dollar portable player

Audio quality's not the only thing that goes into a DAP. Your cellphone can't drive headphones as well as a good DAP, nor does it have physical controls. Not to mention that using your phone drains your DAP's battery and vice versa.

I only use IEMs which are good at the first volume level or my K812s which are good at 3 or 4

It's nice that that works for you but don't go acting like your phone's as good as a high end DAP

i have a sansa clip+ that was on clearance at a Target for like $25, maybe 6 years ago. Its great, I love the radio and the fact you can throw on just about any size sd card and file format. Paired with some panasonic earbuds.

Any good bt DAP under 100€?

How is it not though? It doesn't have as good battery life but thats it

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaberg-south/ipods-mp3-players/grey-ipod-classic-6th-gen-128gb-ssd-refurbished-like-new-/1167997921

ANY GOOD Sup Forums? 320 dollary doos mate good for sumint?

Do it yourself for a fraction of the price.

i suck at this sort o stuff, is it a good price for the product?

You're too inept to separate a case with a spudger, unplug a drive, and plug a new one in?

u my shrink? answer the question cunt.

I'd never pay that much for it but if you really think you're too dumb to do it yourself then feel free to

much obliged

Your phone can't properly drive anything with an impedance over say 32ohm
Just because it works for weaker monitors doesn't mean it'll work as well with better ones
Plus it's way more convenient to free up space in my phone for other shit then clog it with music

get this one if you must:
gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaberg-south/ipods-mp3-players/auspods-black-ipod-fifth-generation-128gb-ssd-like-new-/1153201714
but like the other user said, diy will save you a heap. if you do buy that one ask which iflash adaptor it has, there are models for up to four micro sd cards.

PHONE

Anyone use the Plenue J? I love my Cowon J3, but its battery is finally starting to give up the ghost, and the J looks like the closest thing in terms of specs.

Nigger
Enjoy living attached to the wall plug

Are you the guy who replied to spotifag the other day? (Pic related)

Indeed.

Did you do any mod on that thiccpod my dude?

No mods yet, still in stock form.

I'm basically always listening to music, rn I just have an s7 and a Bose QC25 + music in mp3

Would I hear a difference if I got a legit portable player ? And if I got portable player + all FLAC or does the QC25 limit that ?

I NEED A FUCKING SHITBOX THAT LETS ME SORT BY FUCKING ALBUM ARTIST FUCK ME UPSIDE DOWN

>tfw ipod now fubar
I just had to try and fix it.
Time to save up for that sony

No, buy better headphones

Also got a pair of HD598s you reckon they're good enough?

Pretty damn good

No

S8 is better.
V30 is nice too.
I want a Z1C though, it's fucking impossible to find one however

God damn it what setup do I even need

The high power low distortion class A/AB amps in meme DAPs work best with low sensitivity, high impedance headphones, like planars and such.
Conveniently it will hide hissing and improves SNR because many DAPs are pretty bad at that.

can anyone suggest me some music player with ipod classic-like controls?

I don't want apple shit yet i love that spinning gesture thing

The latest generations of the Fiio X1 and X3 use a touch wheel.

r8 h8 mastrb8

have changed the plates since that photo. These headphones are really good best I've owned >.

very nice

I fell for the AGPTEK meme.
Got a Rocker from Amazon and am so far very happy with the audio quality through my Jabra Sport compared to my last phone, a Galaxy S6 with PowerAmp.
The Bluetooth is more inconsistent with connecting to my car stereo, however, and the software on the Rocker is serviceable at best. Nothing special. The buttons feel fine, but have some delay occasionally, and the Bluetooth menu can hang sometimes. No spinning wheel.
Solid construction, haven't dropped it yet. Would recommend getting a screen cover for it.
Would recommend to potential buyers to instead spend an extra $60 and just get a better DAP. The Rocker is fine and good, but I feel that a Fiios X1 would just be better overall for a bit more money.
Haven't tried a new firmware yet.

damn, i really want this thing but its fucking $350. no way is a music player worth that much, damn i might have to just get a fiio x3, third gen has bluetooth at least

Get a used DP-S1 instead