KDE neon rocks

Bros, I tried out KDE neon and I absolutely love it. Zero KGarbage bloat, no glitches, no graphics issues and rock solid stability. Has a stable ubuntu 16.04 base + rolling release KDE and supported by the kde devs themselves. What's not to like? Trust me, it's the best kde experience you can find. Better than arch, suse, fedora etc. Go try it out.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/alex47/Breeze2000
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If I wanted to use a distro that only came to exist as a playground for devs themselves, I'd use Fedora.

>supported by the kde devs themselves
no thanks

To be fair, it's a pretty solid distro for day to day usage and even Linus himself uses it. Calling it a testing ground for rhel is a little cynical.

Genuine question : why not? They seem to be doing a great job.

Convince me its better than suse

It's not cynical when that's literally all it is. Doesn't stop it from being good though.

It would be great if not for ubuntu. Ubuntu shit crashes constantly. I went back to arch with kde after 3 days.

After a long meeting and vigorous brainstorming, KDE team nodded in unison and agreed that "yes, this is what our default clock should look like".

Strange. I've been using ubuntu for a while now and had exactly zero crashes.

>a start menu icon that was made by a down syndrome child smashing the keyboard
>a clock big enough for blind people to see
It seems to me that KDE is made BY disabled people FOR disabled people.

It's made by Germans, they had no aesthetic sense ever since Hugo Boss died.

What DE do you use?

>Has a stable Ubuntu 16.04 base + rolling release KDE and supported by the kde devs themselves.

I love KDE and have no doubt that this is the best KDE experience, but I have one doubt, I want to use Linux mainlly for programming, is there any drawback in using an LTS distro for this? Since KDEneon is based on Ubuntu 16.04 that is a couple of years old.

Compile new libs and put them into /usr/local. Now there are no problems.

>even a dev whos paid to use it as playground uses it
Good arguement

anyone interested in classic win theme?

>even Linus himself uses it.

There is nothing extraordinary about a kernel developer using a playground testing distro, in fact is what you would expect.

>Debian KDE has more stuff than Neon
>Uses slightly less resources
Explain this.

My dude, what font is that? The konsole font looks so much better than the default.

GNOME is way better

You're on neon?

So whoop dee doo, I get tile image preview in a browser, but the tiles are rendered like shit. How do I make the thumbnails not look like a pixelated mess?

Manjaro
why do you ask?

Its pretty nice
Ubuntu LTS + some additional repos and preinstalled and configured KDE

Kubuntu 17.10 with kde backport ppa is close to KDE Neon experience

If you really need up-to-date system go Opensuse Tumbleweed, harder to use/setup but with the rollback system it's the only usable rolling

I use Ubuntu+KDE Neon+i3 because I was using Arch+KDE but some obscure software wasn't working. So imo if you ask me it depends on the type of software you see yourself using. If you're only going to be using big name IDEs you should go with what you like. (I suggest arch or manjaro with KDE and/or i3)

If you want maximum compatibility, Ubuntu+your preferred DE/WMs.

If you want slightly better virtualization, Fedora.

I am seriously considering installing this on my x230t. How is battery life, ram usage?

Fedora+KDE is nice

Why are the windows and UI elements so large?

Gnome fag here. Please sell me KDE neon.

firefox with meme file picker patch flatpack where?

didn't mean to quote

To whom do I send the invoice?

Solus Plasma edition is better.

then use gentoo
I use neon when I want to make a retarded normie happy.

>better than Arch

Sorry, no AUR, no deal

my g-d classic windows dialog boxes look so great, no shitty rounded corners, non retarded font and wtf with linux font rendering, just what the fucking fuck, why is it so blurry

Linus uses it because it has the easiest kernel switching tools.

I use it for mine. Ram usage is low if you disable some of the window effects that you don't need. Battery life is fine for me since I use tlp

Ready for a really mind blower? Start it up, then check your resource usage right after boot, before running anything else. I think last time I ran neon it was around 180mb RAM usage.

Yes, what is it?

It as much a testing ground t RHEL as Debian is a tersting ground for Ubuntu.

That's a terrible comparison. Debian and Ubuntu are two separate projects. Ubuntu just happened to choose Debian as their base. The same company sponsors most, if not all, of the development for both RHEL and Fedora.

Not to mention debian has its own testing version and its release cycles are more comperable to rhel than fedora

whats wrong with the font rendering?
open the image in a new tab to display it on actual resolution

github.com/alex47/Breeze2000

XFCE seems to have been started by a Baguette; nice and efficient like a guillotine.
Any DE founded by a Brit?

>guillotine
that explains all the tearing

Ubuntu doesn't do shit anymore, they're basically a repack of fedora ever since they dropped mir and unity, like most distros-

mostly because hackers suck dick at maintaining their projects when complexity increases

Put some Compton oil on your guillotine so it slides better

I tried compton
it makes everything slower
kinda when you enable v-sync in a game
and when I maximize a window the screen freezes until I unmaximize that window
I tried compiz too
no more v-sync like lag or screen freeze but there are sometimes seemingly random flickers which is really really irritating

I wish it was based on Debian, I really can't use *buntus, I always get some unexpected bugs. And it's not like I didn't try it for nearly one year.

What are your specs?
I have no issues with running xfce + Compton on a toaster from 2005. Have you used the manjaro guide for Compton on xfce which a pretty solid base ? For me, KDE is running like shit whatever I do.

don't bother with compton, didn't do jack shit for me either instead I came across a different solution online.
For nvidia enable full composition pipeline for all displays in nvidia-settings.
For intel iGPU edit the xorg.conf and add the tear free option.

2 years old laptop with a very low end quadcore CPU and iGPU
linux mint xfce
kde and unity runs flawlessly
gnome lags too

Did you mean Ubuntu is a testing ground for Debian? Debian's packages are ancient, so I can't imagine you actually saying Debian is a testing ground for Ubuntu lmao

kek

RedHat only sponsors, it doesn't mean Fedora is the beta for RHEL, the tooling we use are very different.