Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/

comfy behind-the-sofa homeserver edition!
+ run your own DNS server edition: zwischenzugs.com/2018/01/26/how-and-why-i-run-my-own-dns-servers/
+ RISCV Homeservers NOW
Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

>news:
> LKML is hosted on somebodys homeserver!
> Everybody is switching away from freebsd, nobody knows why

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz
> or use riot.im and join riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

youtube.com/watch?v=Del1GNuODL0

well i have a rack server under my bed and i have no idea of what to do with it, i'm open to suggestions

>> Everybody is switching away from freebsd, nobody knows why

Because bsd's are a dumb meme and actually suck when you want to do anything.

That's a neat setup, why are you hiding it?

I want to make a network backup server controlled by a RPI3. I want to backup my "important" partition from my PC weekly.
Where do I start?
What should I pay attention to?
Is rsync a good choice or there are better ways to do things?

A virtual temple devoted to God, and His miraculous gift of Bitcoin

This, I am using CRUX and is working fine, all former freebsd users should try it

I'm an tech illiterate, is there a basic building guide from scratch for a home server with a detailed part picking tiers like logicalincrements or should I go simple and get a NAS?

My current choice would be a 12TB Synology NAS with 6TBx2 WD RED for 625€ because of the synocommunity packages.

Why are there no detailed guides for all the alternatives and options you can pull off with a server but 1000 videos and forum posts on how to set up PLEX?

>want to buy some fast networking cards for a home server (and PC so it could connect to it)
>buy these lightning fast fiber things
>it turns out these are HBAs and not NICs and don't do IP normally

If you are tech illiterate, why would you want to make a home server? Literally any old computer can be a home server. Install ubuntu server and learn linux. It's stupid easy. sudo apt-get install samba and then google "how to setup samba linux". Now you have a nas. Grats.

Theres not a lot of alternatives and options really. Linux or BSD or Windows is the main choice. Consumer hardware or old server hardware doesn't matter much.

Theres 1000 videos and posts about setting up PLEX because that is what 90% of homeservers do. Mine included.

Is pi-hole a good alternative to adblock? Is it resource intensive? My server does mostly nothing.

Setup plex and stream your "fell off the back of a truck" stuff to your friends/family

Run a game server (minecraft, ark, CS-GO, TF2, whatever) for your friends/family

Even with nftables?
What'll you use them for now?
I was actually looking to get some for my Linux NAS so thanks for the heads up I suppose.

Well, the cards themselves use different protocol. There are some ways to get around it, one being IP over FC. If the cards can send data between computers, it must be possible to make them work with IP, but I'm afraid it might require messing with the drivers. If I don't get them to work with IP, their regular protocol (FCP) allows SCSI connection (it was pretty much made for this) so I get storage-only connection in the worst case. As far as I know it presents block devices so I wouldn't be able to make a specific filesystem on the server and expose it to the PC.

Depending on the specs, you can do alot.
Hell I have an old T7500 and it's doing Plex, backups, FTP, voicemail for my pbx, minecraft server, dvd ripper (but...super slow), etc.

>buys fiber channel cards
>doesnt even know what they are
and this is why i call you all retards.

10gbe nics and switches are dirt cheap. throw those old 4gb fiber channel cards in the trash. if you only need 2/4 ports there are shit tons of access switches with them as uplinks, 8 ports you can find on HP ProCurve 5800s, if you need 20/40 ports, cisco nexus 5010/5020s are dirt cheap

Well, these cards were 15$ for a pair so that's why I bought them without thinking too much. I'll try to to make them work because shipping here is pretty expensive (relatively to the prices of NICs) and looking for the right things while being limited by shipping costs is just too tiresome.

>1x Raspberry Pi model B 256mb ram running pi-hole
>1x Raspberry Pi 3 running rocket.chat

Pretty damn neato. Rocket.chat server went up today, and I just cant believe why I haven't done it sooner.

>Is pi-hole a good alternative to adblock?
Yes. Though it still has some limitations because it blocks on the DNS level, just keep that in mind.
>Is it resource intensive?
No. Even the oldest raspberry pi can do it without breaking a sweat handling 40+ clients, just for a reference point.

Just do it. If you have the means, pi-hole will only make your day a tad better.

>Using Pi's
It might be my autism but the LED lights drive me nuts

I have mine in cases and hidden away. Just do the same.

There's no scratch build guide because everyone basically takes one of three options:
>low wattage ARM or x86 SBC with various USB peripherals hanging off of it - from a Raspberry Pi up to the various PC Engines and Netgate pfSense boards
>commercial NAS products like that Synology
>cheap surplus rackmount servers bought on eBay, basically the Thinkpad option of servers

My cases don't cover up the ethernet light, I have a switch and never bothered to try the wifi because of the shared bus

Nothing better than ZFS and with FreeBSD it's part of the OS.
No idea why i should switch from FreeBSD

>I'm an tech illiterate
Buy a NAS. I understand where you are getting at, but just buy a good NAS.

ZFS works just fine for my basic NAS needs with ubuntu server.

>basic
>ubuntu
Might as well ran OpenBSD if you just store few things on it.

OpenBSD doesn't have a checksummed-writes CoW filesystem. ZFS is the only such filesystem I'd trust right now, except for BtrFS in RAID1/10 setups. HAMMER2 (DragonFly BSD) and bcachefs (Linux) are getting there, but not ready yet.

No shit it was a joke.
FreeBSD just werks, i just want a entire OS instead of the firehose that is GNU/Linux.

>Being this much hell-bent on avoiding mainstream software

So apparently Comcast has been handing out IPv6 /60 prefixes for years now if your edge device supports requesting a specific prefix size hint.