>2018
>still owning a desktop computer
Do you have any reason for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-slx/=
originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-slx/
originpc.com/gaming/laptops
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

my $20 core2 box is cheaper than buying a new macbook every year for facebook posting

>Do you have any reason for it?
I sometimes do real work.

My Nvidia GPU is the only way I can keep my house heated.

Using a phone or laptop to do tasks is fucking shit.

The desktop set up cannot be beat tbqh.

>more hardware
>more cooling
>cheaper than laptops
>etc etc etc

>cheaper than laptops
My $200 Dell laptop can do everything your $1500 machine does

>my $20 core2 box is cheaper than buying a new macbook every year for facebook posting
Why would you need a Macbook to post on faceberg?

Can it run DOOM at 3000fps? Nope.

>vidya gaems
The ONLY reason why desktops are still relevant. Barely tho, with cryptofags running the game now.

I am eternally grateful to cryptofags for what they've done to gaymers.

I can't afford a good laptop or an iPad Pro.

Doing heavy work like video editing, 3D modeling, etc, is definitely better on a desktop than a laptop. Not to mention that desktops are usually comfier to use for longer periods of time.

Yeah but if you were smart you would have already built a PC that will last you through the bitcoin fad,someone just needs to develop malware that will brick miners cards

Better value and upgradability.

My cousin got a $1,500 macbook "pro" because A/V school meme'd him into getting one. He says it takes an entire night to export his projects in 720p resolution.

Meanwhile I have a used dual 8-core xeon server desktop pc that exports 4K videos made with blender and sony vega in less than an hour. Paid like $500 for it.

>Cheaper than a comparable laptop
>Actually upgradeable
>Bigger screen
>More screens
>Comfy
>Don't need to worry about battery
>More ports
Laptops are cool and all, but if you're not actually taking advantage of its portability then you should just get a desktop

soy posts made my frogs gay

you are delusional
why would you ever argue something that anyone can prove wrong?
maybe instead argue that portability is superior, but no instead you argue that somehow you think your sub $2,000 laptop with a mobile 1060 that throttles to 1.4ghz and hits 90c is capable of everything my desktop is
i cant believe im being baited

soybro thread

this, a friend of mine got a macbook for his highschool graduation and he immediately returned it. his parents were like "Dafuq I thought macbooks were the best" but didn't realize he wasn't going anywhere for college so a laptop really wasn't necessary. now his desktop could eat mine.

They can fit full cards in laptops now and they have decent thermals now, it's still dumb to buy a laptop, but It's not as bad as you lead on

I'm an oldfag and only do computer stuff at my computer desk, so a desktop made the most sense. Also I still prefer the video capture quality of an AV-DV box over hardware MPEG 2 or h264 solutions, so I like having FireWire available. I know there are laptops with that, but not as many options as nice roomy slotty desktops.

>Do you have any reason for it?
desktop aren't disposable, can be fully upgraded and repurposed at will. only soycucks buy laptops

>low power CPUs to compensate for shitty thermals
>sttill gets hot as fuck
I definitely wouldn't enjoy encoding video in a laptop.

Also laptops fuck with your posture.

and then it isnt a laptop, is it? because it has 2 hour battery life and weighs 30lbs and cost 3x as much as a desktop

>They can fit full cards in laptops

Maybe in some absurdly thick gaming laptop that costs twice as much as an equivalent desktop and is barely portable.

Not in any reasonable laptop.

You realize that most of a graphics card in a PC is just cooling right? The actual processor itself is not large, all you need is cooling. They can fit full size 1080's in laptops

>2018
>not using the cloud

They don't way that much if you're not a manlet, battery life will be that of an Evangelion, yes. But you're not going to be running some AAA game off of battery, and the integrated graphics will usually be what the desktop is using so battery life will still be around 6-8 hours on any non-shit laptop

Calculating power is greater, doubles as space heater.

My 1080 only gets to 65 C under full load in nicehash how am I supposed to heat my house with that :(

Buy AMD, dunno.

I wonder if it would be more power-efficient to run 3-4 vegas to heat your whole house instead of the heating coils in central air, probably not, but you could mine shitcoins at least.

Are you trolling?

>they can fit just the GPU without any cooling or power.....they just can't switch it on.

When did I say any of that retard? You must be fucking daft if thats what you took from that post

Lower temperature just means better heat transfer.

Power draw at wall socket = amount of heat it produces.
Applies to virtually every appliance.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say.

Maybe link one of those laptops that "can fit full cards"?

>the only reason full sized GPUs take a lot of space is for their cooling!
>get rid of that and you can fit it inside a laptop!
ah yes, the renown heat and power management capabilities that laptops have

originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-slx/=
look retard they can fit two desktop 1080's in a fucking laptop
first link off google btw

Just to add, laptops are terrible in terms of ergonomics. It also is more likely to be abused (dropped/bumped). Things like the hinge and keyboard might end up failing over time and is more expensive to replace.

It must be hard be the slowest one on the shortbus huh?

originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-slx/
this is the link, dont know how the equal got there

>404 Error
>We couldn’t find the page you’re looking for

>originpc.com/gaming/laptops
How do you go from
>My $200 Dell laptop can do everything your $1500 machine does
to
>this $2300 laptop is comparable can handle everything a high end PC does

you were the one who was flabbergasted that anyone could ever put in a desktop GPU in a laptop

different people friendo, I didn't doubt it, I just thought it was retarded, throttling and not as powerful as a desktop, not as portable or long lived battery as your usual laptop

you wouldn't understand, cuckboi

Well yes it's retarded, but it really has come a long way in the past year or two. But this is coming from someone posting on a $100 thinkpad, I woould never make the mistake of buying a gaymen laptop again

ieah

every laptop i've ever owned stays plugged in and on a desk for 99% of the computers life.
even then they're not comfortable to use unless you've got it docked into a workstation setup, which essentially is the same as a desktop.

tl;dr if you treat your laptop as if its a desktop, maybe you'll like a legit desktop better.

Install an internal 3.5" hdd?

Whats a computer?

/thread

>Sup Forums
>using "the cloud"

I have a screen and other peripherals connected to my laptop at home to get the deskop PC user experience, because it's objectively more comfortable. If you only use your computer at home, getting a desktop computer with the same performance is cheaper, and it is also more customizable and upgradeable.

>No thermal throttling
>No PCIe/ GPU/ CPU latency from aggressive power saving profiles
>Can upgrade easily
>typing on a laptop is horrible
>I don't like semen

Muh gaymez

But seriously, laptops fucking suck.

Because my pissant little iphone is pretty much useless for anything besides phone calls and text messages. Even the highly touted camera is a dinky piece of shit compared to an actual camera.

/thread

OP BTFO

Desktops are objectively better than any other computing form except for portability.

a NUC with an external GPU can be fairly portable

The average desktop is easily disassembled and repairable by the user. When ONE thing fails in a compact/mobile device, you are either forced to live with that defect, or trash it all together and fork over the money for another.

have fun compiling large projects

Certainly, I'd much rather have a desktop and a subnotebook than a gaymen laptop or mobile workstation.

>only do computer stuff at my computer desk
this. if i need to check something outside of the house i use my phone. makes no sense using a laptop at home just for it to sit on my desk and remain plugged in