Screenshot of a 360p video

>screenshot of a 360p video
>stretched fullscreen
>saved as PNG
>2+ MB file
This has to end. Stop saving screenshots in PNG. Use JPG instead. There's a way to change this in any main OS

bump

nah i dont have any issues with storage space so ill store everything i have in the highest quality format possible.
fuck you OP.

OP pic would be smaller as png

Redundancy ftw!

Stop using floppy disks as storage and then you'll see that a 2+ MB file is an irrelevant size.

>Vector art
>png not svg

I don't care as long you don't upload them on Sup Forums. It takes long to load and puts needless strain on servers

Only worthy post in this thread
Hiroshima deserves it

>I don't care as long you don't upload them on Sup Forums. It takes long to load and puts needless strain on servers

Fuck off hiroshigook by better server you bundle of sticks

unsupported on this board and still some rendering problems in some browsers AFAIK

>compressing a screenshot of already compressed frame of a video even further by saving it in jpg

every single detail counts, it's like you don't care if picture looks nothing like it's supposed to be

Wow yeah so that you could upload your 4k vids in GIF right

When I took graphic design in high school my teacher had us export everything as a jpeg. It drove me crazy. You should've seen when I found out what an svg is.

Nice try, except look at all the banding on the left image. Of course png will take less when you reduce colors.
You don't understand how JPEG compression works. do you? A video is already compressed in a similar fashion to JPEG. Converting it to JPEG likely won't reduce the quality, contrary to a popular belief.
"JPEG is bad" meme is from the early 2000s when people saved images on minimal setting and wondered why their images suddenly looked like shit.
Graphic design academia somehow attracts surprisingly retarded people, quite often too

>needless strain on servers
i don't care

Yes, and all that while blocking ads.
PS. Suck it

Again, look at the banding and rough edges
Blocking ads doesn't affect other anons
Uploading poorly compressed files does
When you go over image size limit you know you're in the wrong

This, png all the time baby

Garbage sky. This isn't the 90s you know.

>not saving your images as tuples of integers in a python pickle

>look guys I reduced the colors
really

>long to load and puts needless strain on servers
wtf i love png

>not in n*m table in C

are you actually trying?

Decent size for such a high res
Since Sup Forums can't into SVG it's the only option for vector (unless we're talking about /gd/)

>2011+7
>needing color

I just use png for everything.

Also consider OptiPNG

ping

>not an Integer -> Integer -> Integer -> Integer -> (Integer, Integer, Integer) function from size and coordinates to RGB in Haskell

But i prefer png when embedding my cheese pizza

>not a mysql database with a table for each row of pixels and table rows with RGBA entries for each pixel
It's like you /want/ your images to become corrupted.

>not dividing your disk into 6 partitions so you can RAID6 them for reliability

>Decent size
No. Really not.

When to use a lossless (PNG) format: always.

When to use a lossy (JPG) format: never.

Sorry if your currytel internet can't handle a 3MB PNG, Patel.

lrn2encode

Post .png

t. retard
I bet you only listen to FLAC too
Hope they make lossless video to sell HDDs to retards like you

I tried, this is untrue if you're going lossless.

retard

True

just have every frame be an individual png

looks like garbage

But often, Screenshot is mostly flat colors. Plus JPEG totally annihilate text.
also this
>indexed palette
You deserve death for this

>Stop saving screenshots in PNG.
NO

whatever helps you sleep at night poorfag

my camera makes >5MB JPEG, and my raw editor often output 7~8MB JPEG it would be retarded to convert them to png before uploading them.

>transcoding a lossy file
It would be retarded to do this in any situation ever

Who gives a shit what the file sizes are? Internet speed is high enough that it doesn't matter, even using your phone.

wait would that work?

>Implying you can't restore the ""lost"" data

ok

Yes, should a partition become corrupted you will be able to restore it

fun fact: on a gigabit connection, assuming no lost packets and disregarding any overhead, that image would take 0.82 microseconds to download

>But often, Screenshot is mostly flat colors. Plus JPEG totally annihilate text.
If you use a high quality setting for JPEG, there's barely any difference from PNG. Here's the result at 84/100 quality
Also,
>saving text as picture
another shit practice

But will it decrease my loading times? That's what RAID is for, after all. I want to icnreaese my speed

Stop

No site wants my .tif :(
Could you make an hosting service where I can host my lossless 3*32bit HDR photos?

Raid is not just about speed but mostly about storage space and redundancy, thus RAID. And no your disk won't magically gain more I/O throughput.

vas te coucher

>2MB
>Large
Take your Obamaphone back to Facebook.

>there's barely any difference from PNG.
And the lossless PNG is only 1KB larger

If it's a screenshot of a video, you should just hit "s" in mpv.

they often occupy 10 times more server space, and Sup Forums servers aren't very fast as is (for me at least, I'm not in US)
It's quite annoying when you click on a picture and turns out some retard saved it as PNG, barely fitting in upload limit
Then they complain Sup Forums doesn't let them upload a photo, well of course it doesn't because you save in .png

>transcoding a lossy file
>raw editor
You don't know anything about imagery
stop posting in this thread

True, in this particular case you will have very small difference. Flat colors work great in PNG
But if it was a photo you'd have a 300kb JPG and 3MB PNG, with neglectable difference between each other

Please optimize with dithering

Why is jpeg still a standard in 2018?
Jpeg2000 came out 18 years ago yet nobody use it or support it, and webp also should be more adopted

The objectively correct method of saving pictures is to create the smallest possible file size while still conveying whatever information was originally in the picture.

Image familiar.

Because it just werks.
Also fuck wavelets, fourier is superior.

converting video to jpeg means decompressing a frame and recompressing it to an image format. You're piling lossy destruction on top of lossy destruction, the quality is reduced.

Try zooming in. Regions around text is still fucked

Saving it as PNG is even worse regardless. That's like saving shit grade MP3 as FLAC
JPEG is simply more optimized for photos and complex images because of its mode of compression. The "piled up" compression you're talking about is actually barely noticeable in most cases—again, if you're using good JPEG settings—, and certainly better than having 10x larger file basically saving noise.
They're, I agree, but the readability isn't compromised. It's just noise outside the text, not on the edges. And the fact that you need to zoom in to notice it goes to show.
I'm not arguing JPEG is good for text, because it's not, and in this specific case PNG is better. But with high enough setting, JPEG covers both text AND photos, which PNG doesn't. And what the fuck do you need lossless pics of text for?
Anyway, here's a pic of just text taken just now. Tell me how fucked it is

now apply that to 1.5 million images.

svg, unless it automatically vectorize an image, is only off if you have the source files, otherwise png is how you save a vector you find.

Folks, what we have here is a literal SoyBoy.

Piece of advice for you because I know your mind in very cloudy and delusional. Never ever EVER dictate your idea onto others over the internet, even if you think its right. Do not do this ever, especially on 4channel.

What you have done is essentially made more people use .png files forever thanks to this thread.

gg

>"Never ever EVER dictate your idea onto others over the internet"
>tries to mentor others
what a fag

>t. bandwidthlet

>Stop saving screenshots in PNG. Use JPG instead.
kys retard

>And what the fuck do you need lossless pics of text for?
If everyone was using lossy, every single picture on the internet would look like after a while

>larger file size
>looks worse
wow jpg really is amazing

>.JPG
no that file format is outdated garbage.

>t. pajeet
Sup Forums is not your designated street

The max filesize is tiny anyway.

pnglets, when will they learn