/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old thread: →

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot models:
>>T60, X60; X200, T400/500
Modern models:
>>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

item.mercari.com/gl/m15930606272/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-THINKPAD-I-SERIES-1300-1171-LAPTOP/222839366724?epid=24012310579&hash=item33e242e444:g:SZwAAOSw0exaSTEB
m.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-X40-Centrino-1-4-Ghz-40GB-HDD-512MB-RAM/323017122479?hash=item4b355222af:g:D7sAAOSwgkxZ2zt8
ebay.co.uk/sch/Laptops-Netbooks/175672/i.html?_from=R40&_dcat=177&Brand=IBM&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=thinkpad&_sop=15
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd015812
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When does my x230 arrive cmon

>he bought a x230

If you're too autistic to hardwarely flash a modded bios then you're probably not fit to own a ThinkPad

Dank
Also, whichever user said the SL series was hard to work on is a liar. This is the easiest thinkpad I've ever had to take apart for cleaning. The CPU and chipset heatsinks and fan are just under one of the panels and theyre really easy to remove.

Is the T520 any good? Anything I should know before buying?

Yeah, its just a slightly bigger T420, and if you read through these shitshow threads, everyone likes the T420

>soon to be p50 master race

Stay poor forever noobs

Are there any good Fujitsus?

Lifebook S751
Basically a chinky T420
Has a dock and all that noise, they also have 12.1" options

I said the SL400 was the worst ThinkPad I've worked on.
As in, its a terribad laptop.

At least you won't get the speakers cutting out like in SL510 and SL520 models.
Glad you liked that little SLut. :)

no its not

whats this for?

masturbating your fingertip

You can type the letters G, H or B by pushing the little circle thing in the direction of the letter.

I think it's better if you buy T530, newer CPU arch and still able to use the classic keyboard with an EC patch

It's for giving pleasure to your loved memepad.

I prefere the windows precision enabled trackpads more than the pointing stick.

>paid about 180€ for a T420 about 5 months ago
>checking thinkpads in ebay today
>X230 is only 135€ free shipping, slightly better CPU than mine
i wish i wasnt poor so i could buy it too
also what are the beefier thinkpads that are still reasonably priced?

I run a T430 with 3920XM

You might want to look for T440p if using HD graphics is ok for you

yeah i was looking at T440p and it looks like a nice deal for about 230€
now i just need to stop being poor so i can buy it, but in reality i dont really need it at all

Then just save up for a better device?

i have too many computers at home, id like to manage to sell at least a few and then id be able to buy that. i have a bunch of old ones that dont even boot and i dont know what to do with them.

Sell it?

Maybe /r/hardwareswap?

X230 here. Why would I ever use the stock UEFI trash when there's an up to date Coreboot port for my laptop and it has a fully reverse engineered EC with free EC firmware integrated into Coreboot? Why? Why would I want bullshit stacked on bullshit stacked on bullshit when I can have SeaBIOS on Coreboot?

What's a firmware lock?

>recommending the xx40 series
no stop doing this. those aren't thinkpads

>random x220 I bought off ebay comes in that didn't have any pictures on the listing
>Actually is in decent shape, has the IPS display, Fingerprint reader, and 44++ battery
Pleasantly surprised.

What's up ni/g/nogs
I have a Thinkpad Yoga something or other. I didn't care much for the Thinkpad brand, but I seriously love the trackpoint. Mine actually has some drift issue sometimes when scrolling down, but in general I prefer it to the trackpad when typing. I wanted to get into using GNU plus Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux, but some piece of hardware isn't compatible with Ubuntu. So what's the most modern Thinkpad with reliable Linux support that I can buy used? Realistically my budget is maybe $200-300 or so, but I wouldn't be buying within the next 2 months or so, so I'm really open to hearing about any of them.
Also, is the xx20 series's keyboards actually hot shit? I'm typing on the newer "island-style" keyboard right now, and I think that it's fine. Could be better, I guess. At least it isn't one of the newer Mac keyboards.

hi I have a librebooted x60s, running parabola. suspend to ram doesn't work - when I try to resume it just boots into grub as if I had rebooted. any anons run into a similar problem or have suggestions?

This image screams "I regret getting a xx20 instead of a superior modded xx30".

They're still pretty ok if you're not an extremist

How do you clean your thinkpad? Do you take it apart every 3-6 months and go through everything?

i just noticed the touchpad looks like it would be pretty bad when using it or even typing (probably touch it accidentally)

how secure are the fingerprints scanners for authentication? can it protect life critical data or is it just a meme and I should not rely on it?

item.mercari.com/gl/m15930606272/

Is this a good deal?

T440s, 14",I5,GT730m, 12gb ram,256gb SSD

Is the x220 keyboard the same as the t420 keyboard? If so can I do an x220 keyboard swap into a T430 (note T430 not T420) provided I also find a replacement T420 palmrest? Are the same issues with missing non functioning keys there?

There was a big backlash from the thinkpad community over the decisions for the xx40 series. They even thought integrating the touchpad buttons into the trackpad itself was a good idea. I think it was also the first model to solder the ram in. They sheepishly changed back to an older design in their next generation but they really thought this direction was good. It even made it into the x1 Carbon 2nd gen.

>life critical data
So the $100 bucks worth of crypto Pajeet my son?

more like all my fiction writings on the horrors of the beta uprising and all the underage anime tiddies.
Jokes aside, is there any info on this topic. I use a Yubikey for 2FAuth on my computer and I would like to get rid of this hassle

waiting for my p50 to come in the mail, anyone here on a p series? How is it? Anything to upgrade immediately besides RAM?

Is a X1 Carbon worth the price?

Thinkpads have incredibly easy to assess hard drives and any usb port is vulnerable, the fuck is a fingerprint reader gonna do?

how much did you pay for it?
I can get one for $500, but it might end up just gathering dust like my w700ds.

>how long is a peace of string
depends which generation and how much

fuck thinkpads
stupid meme

latitude e6410 is the machine

disable touch pad with something like

xinput -set-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick" "Device Enabled" 0

that on a dell latitude e6410 .. will be similar on thinkpad 'xset'

put in startup

i meant .. disable the little touch stick
if you don't use it .. dunno who does

T440p
xx20 keyboard's layout is much better but the overall feel is not that much different at least for me

I'd like the 6th gen, for 2300 bucks
I hope it will work for +10 years

wait a year and you can pick it up for half this

and what about 5th gen?

fαms, I've got a T420.
attempting to fhd my shit up
>FHD kit arrived (bought from ebay)
>awaiting for AUO B140HAN01.3 (genuine, supposedely with lenovo FRU)
once it arrives, I'll post how it went along with my impressions

Hello /TPG/!

Can it be Librebooted?

Sounds fun! Can't wait to see your Meme Machine!

x200/x201 sans trackpad series is comfiest ThinkPad
you can literally carry it to bed open onehanded with a mug of cocoa in the other

Reccomend me an image viewer which works well with the trackpoint?

Anyone know any Thinkpads that go for next to nothing? Wanted a machine to mess around with FreeDOS on, searching for 'Thinkpad' on eBay seems to general and I always end up having to sift through hundreds of actual dumpster fodder.

How did you manage to run Coreboot with UEFI? Is there any payload or something like that? I am new to Coreboot, so I might not know about this.

x230 here, I replaced X230's keyboard and palmrest with X220's, and it works very well. No issues at all, you just need to do some tricks before that, and you're all set.

Read this: thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Thanks. But I am going to purchase a T430, not an x230. I have an x220 keyboard.

>watch a thinkpad while its still at $20-50 on ebay
>days pass and the price jumps to $400
why

>watching 1 year old x270
>fall asleep
>price never moved and sold for $300
regret is suffering

Country? Budget?

what do you mean? Image viewers let you go back and forward with arrow keys
I use irfranview

As if flashing a BIOS with a Raspi is difficult in the slightest.

bids?
never trust bids

Read the fucking page

Looking for a small portable laptop that I can use for uni work. Basically coding (python/c++/matlab) and usual word processing. Unsure of what OS I'm putting on it yet.
I've got a £200 grant I can put toward it, able to foot the difference though if there's something much better for a small increase.
Looking at the OP I'm thinking a x220 or x230. I've used shite keyboards for most my life, so the x230 keyboard isn't a huge turnoff.
I'm busy at the moment, so I want something that works as much as possible out of the box, but it would be nice if I can tinker with it further down the line. Have I got the right idea or am I barking up the wrong tree?

>be me
>don't own a thinkpad
>lurk these threads just for laughs
>go on ebay
>see T430 for 20€
>bid just for laughs
>someone outbids me
>start bidding
>no one else bids
>got t430 for 95 €
I'm scared.

>called out on your non answer coz you didn't read my question
>HURR DURR DYOR don't ask thinkpad related questions in a thinkpad related general
kys retard

buy x220 and spend rest on weed

Sorry, fell asleep.

U.K., £50 - £80? I'd gladly purchase an older machine that can actually run DOS natively but reasonably priced, well maintained older Thinkpads are fast becoming rarer than reasonably priced secondhand Apple products.

I know it's a bit silly to want a Thinkpad for this application but I already own three other Thinkpads for various use cases so why not.

The answers are in the page. You'll never change that keyboard.

x230 is better though

Heres a few:

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-THINKPAD-I-SERIES-1300-1171-LAPTOP/222839366724?epid=24012310579&hash=item33e242e444:g:SZwAAOSw0exaSTEB

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-Thinkpad-X40-Centrino-1-4-Ghz-40GB-HDD-512MB-RAM/323017122479?hash=item4b355222af:g:D7sAAOSwgkxZ2zt8

More here vvv
ebay.co.uk/sch/Laptops-Netbooks/175672/i.html?_from=R40&_dcat=177&Brand=IBM&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=thinkpad&_sop=15

is it possible to move my cpu, ram sticks, battery, hard drive, and keyboard from a T420 to a X220 shell?
i want to transition my T420 into a smol X220 senpai

kek I'm going to outbid that user just for giggles

The t42?

yes to all except cpu and battery afaik

You cheeky bastard.

The work required to even attempt that would be extensive, and very likely impossible, the T420 PCB is way too big to fit in an X220.

Does anyone here think the P50 is worth getting?

If not, why?

why not the cpu (mine is i5 2520M) these pages say x220 comes with i5 2520M

support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd015812

sorry i meant a x220 shell with its original motherboard

I just replaced the keyboard of my x240 but the cursor doesn't show up anymore
I tried reinstalling the driver and reconnecting ribbon bands but still nothing
am I fucked?
what do?

how much extra can you pay i'm in the uk and have a x1 yoga on ebay desu

I thought x series had cpu soldered in, instead of socketed like t series

I have a desire to buy a refurbished x1 (2nd gen) used by some company that I've seen.
I'd mostly buy It for the superior portability to my elitebook (I think it's 8640p) but would significantly newer too.

What do y'all think of that model?

2nd gen x1 has that horrible keyboard and touchpad/integrated buttons that people hated from the xx40 series

T420's keyboard is the same as X220's, brainlet. Next time time learn how to read articles.

cpu is soldered in, if you want to replace the CPU in an x-series you need to replace the motherboard

Thats not the issue you mouth breather. I'm essentially wanting to do the x220 to x230 keyboard swap except from x220 to t430. These mods may or may not work 100% and may require palmrest, in this case palmrest from t420. Can you faggots even read or is this a troll. Pic related is you.

How viable is X61 or X200 for daily usage and programming? Already have T420

Does this not apply to the T530?
Cause I bought a chink 6cell for it and it didn't give me any bios errors

Shit CPU, shit CCFL screen and low ram capacity.
Be content with your t420 and stop being a consumerist whore

Hey I got a T440 and just finished a fresh win10 install. Should I download Lenovo drivers and stuff or does win10 already install everything it needs?

Fuck you chinkpad niggers, i'm on my way to get an elitebook 8460p, its the superior choice

niehter is the superior choice. we are all just poorfag digisexuals

Anybody knows the dimensions of the X20/X21/X30/X40/X41 barrel plug?
Service manual only shows the voltage and polarity and I'm trying to fix a charger with damaged connector

I've got an T420, I want to get some old junk-tier IBM Thinkpad for memes and librebooting, something along the lines of X60 or T60. Could I charge it with the charger from my T420?

last gen cpu with a last gen (maxwell based) quadro

the money is better spent on a clevo from hidevolution if you need that much power