Can someone explain what I would get in return from installing linux?

Can someone explain what I would get in return from installing linux?
(except not being able to run .exe and photoshop without learning wine and basically the whole os)
What makes it worth it?

'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Picture says live
>It's not live at all

Fuck you, Stallman.

It's a good os and higly power softwar

Unrestricted access to your computer.
No license to expire, no extra per CPU core, no obsolete drivers or hardware, no scammer malware, no having to pay microsoft to write things like drivers...
Also if you want to really unconventional shit like having two keyboards/two mouses/two screens acting like different computers, linux will serve you better.

Are you a developer? The best way I can describe it is that it's an OS made for developers.

All the friction and shit you feel with Windows, it's gone. To program you don't have to download visual studio, install (which also downloads), sign into your Microsoft account, figure out a million IDE preferences hidden in GUI menus. You can just install a compiler in your package manager and go.

No more shitty GUI searching that takes 5 evr, you can use grep / find / locate / silversearcher to find shit in a timely manner. This is actually one my favorite parts with WSL.

SSH utility on the command line, no more shitass Putty.

Package managers. No more downloading sketchy EXEs and wondering if you'll get adware from some site that looks like it is run out of Romania.

Upgrading is free.

You can fix shit if it breaks.

You have control.

You can replace photoshop by gimp.

>No license to expire
Both mac and win 10 were/are free forever.
>no obsolete drivers or hardware
Hahaha no, there are still no drivers for my gpu in ubuntu 17. Needless to say the hassle you have to go through to just install a fucking driver.
>To program you don't have to download visual studio
You don't need and IDE in neither mac or win, an IDE is for projects where a notepad doesn't cut it.
>searching that takes 5 evr
Wtf are you talking about, since cortana searching has been faster than ever. Of course if you're retarded and disable cortana and file indexing because that's what Sup Forums said to do, you're going to have a bad time.
>SSH utility on the command line
win has openssh
>Package managers. No more downloading sketchy EXEs
Comparing open source with sketchy exe, yeah, nice argument.
>adware from some site that looks like it is run out of Romania
Fuck you, bitdefender is a romanian product. At least we have 1gb/s for 10$/month.
>Upgrading is free
So is for both mac and win.
>You can fix shit if it breaks
Linux flexibility is a doubled edge sword
>You have control
The only thing I can agree with.

You could also replace your meals with shit, not sure how that is an improvement.

>You could also replace your meals with shit, not sure how that is an improvement.
Explain me why you compare gimp to shit?

>if you're retarded and disable cortana and file indexing because that's what Sup Forums said to do, you're going to have a bad time.
I disabled cortana and file indexing because it would slow down the whole machine for 20 mins every time it updated it's index with no warning.
Plasma has a better search feature that has no noticeable effects on performance.

less telemetry, faster startup times, containers

>compare gimp to shit
For a stronger effect, it's a hyperbole. Gimp is not an alternative for Ps.

>machine for 20 mins
Holy, upgrade your Pentium 3 dude, and to think you were making fun of Romania. Also, you can get a chink ssd for like 30$ if you're interested.
>no noticeable effects on performance
Totally agree, if your machine can't handle windows then go for linux.

Is not shit gimp

Linux is good because it is open source

Windows 10 isn't even free, it was a free upgrade. If you build a PC they don't just give you a Windows license. MacOS is technically free but it's only allowed to be installed on hardware they sell you, so it's even less free than Windows. Of course there are hacks for everything but if you try to follow the rules they are out of the question. Pirated Photoshop in pirated Windows is possible but illegal, so that doesn't count. It's not free if the company didn't give it away for free on purpose.

I never use Photoshop but I use Gimp. Gimp is pretty complete, so i'm wondering why it's not an alternative for Photoshop?

You get a lot of free and open source tools. The usefulness of those tools is ultimately dependent upon how creative and knowledgeable you are. Think of it this way: Windows is like a fully furnished apartment with strict rules on additions and rennovations. Most Linux distros are like someone deeding you an empty building and handing you a set of tools and materials.

idk user, package managers and quick updates are comfy, and troubleshooting means actually doing something instead of random reinstalling. However i know my way around because i used linux since ubuntu 8.10, at the time the installation + configuration time gap was much much wider than now. Having my modem work ootb on a live cd helped me a lot back in the day, while i had to wait for windows 10 to automatically pick up my (pretty old) Ethernet card.

it is an alternative for simple needs. However you cannot objectively state that it's enough for (((professional))) needs, unless they implement the whole roadmap for the beta version. That is ok though, it offers a lot of features for MB, and runs fast on linux.

That's why I said 'were', you could've gotten a free digital license by upgrading when win came out or by signing in windows insider program. You can still get a free upgrade with win 10 assistive technologies but that requires you to have a more or less genuine windows installation.
I may come out as an ass but that is better left to professionals to argue, and there is a lot of compelling evidence online.

It's really not. I made this image with great difficulty using Krita and Gimp. There isn't a way to defringe in Gimp so my edges turned out like shit. I've done miles better in Photoshop but anyway, I'm only going to be using Krita and Gimp from now on, but Photoshop is miles easier and more precise to use.

-No viruses
-works faster than windows
-better programming tools

KRITA!

You get a boring outdated kernel design backed by Microsoft.

sure you might not be able to use some of your favourite programs but you will be able to brag to strangers on Sup Forums about using the elite secret hacker os gnu/linux.

You would get a far better operating system in return. I had to install Windows for someone recently and it was such a hassle compared to most GNU+Linux distros. Software management is fucking horrible with Windows, everything is slow, the UI is awful, and everything is just clunky and awful. Made me really appreciate how great GNU+Linux is.

>this level of shilling
i hope that bill pays you well,user