OLED vs QLED

Thinking of grabbing one of the 2018 versions of either LG or Samsungs new TV's.

Which one do you guys think will be better this year? I want to be able to use it as a second monitor for my desktop sometimes and game from it along with movies, netflix etc.

Is burn in really an issue with the OLEDs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display#Quantum_dot_enhancement_layer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Too many poorfags here to answer your questions

>Is burn in really an issue with the OLEDs?

Seems like it's the only issue with it, don't know how bad it can be on TV's but no one is making OLED computer monitors for this reason.

I have a ks8000 (the old Samsung model). That tv already used to have quantum dot technology, I have to say I don't regret that decision, mostly because I use that as a tv and it has a really good upscaling algorithm.
Anyway, if you use it as monitor, OLED is a solid choice, as long as you don't keep static images, like windows taskbar. Pick that if money aren't an issue. Check if the brand gives you a burn in warranty, Samsung used to have that.

IIRC LG has OLED TV's patented until the next few years, Samsung's "QLED" is just a dressed up LED backlit LCD TV. Pretty confusing given that Samsung's known for AMOLED screens in their phones.

tl;dr: Get the LG.

derp forgot to answer the main question, burn in is definitely an issue with OLED and you'll probably run into some yellowing at the 1.5 year mark. just try to mitigate it by hiding your taskbar, moving windows every now and then, etc.

I've got image persistence on an IPS for crying out loud. Don't think I'd fair well with OLED.
That being said I saw some 4K OLED TVs and they look amazing. IPS glow wouldn't be an issue since the pixels are the light source.
Part of me fears the burn in issue would not be resolved or be anywhere near the longevity of IPS/TN panels which will be phased out in favor OLED as a form of planned obsolescence since you would have to replace them more regularly.

Lets face it rate we are hitting diminishing returns hard for resolution on your standard 24~27" panels at typical viewing distance.
Higher refresh rate is about the only noteworthy area consumers would care about.

Sony's triluminos tvs are better than QLED (LCD).

OLED is far superior to QLED. I've owned a 2016 LG OLED for a a bit over a year. Software works well enough, can slow down some times but is very intuitive. Haven't had any burn in, but I do get a little image retention. Don't really notice it unless you get a dark grey screen.
Picture really doesn't do it justice because shitty camera.

>watching TV.

It's just like playing games. Get the fuck out of Sup Forums

Apparently samsungs QLEDS this year will be almost as good as OLED and you won't have to worry about image retention & burn in. Dunno how valid this is though

>getting a TV
>for PC use

If I was shopping for a TV today (thank god I'm not, still running on Panasonic's last and final gen plasma panel), I would go for LG's OLED TV.

For gaming you should be fine, but if you plan to use it as for desktop usage for any significant amount of time I would avoid OLED. Burn-in is still an issue for severe cases on OLED, but for most gaming you will be fine.

It will probably be three to five years before we start seeing QLEDs that are surface emission, when they come they will be superior to OLEDs. Surface emission QLEDs are consider third gen, right now second gen QLEDs are just hitting the market (2nd gen uses QDs for color filters instead of just having a single QD sheet (1st gen).

In bright environments it's true. They're actually even potentially better due to being able to output more light and create more colour volume.

OLED is simply better in light controlled environments due to its infinite contrast though.

Next gen OLED without burn in fuking when
Also not sure if TV for monitor is a good idea because glossy screen/strobing backlight/questionable input delay

Now this is advanced stupid.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot

Yes, but to be 'that guy' it's actually 'burn out' for OLED - ie. it doesn't suffer a burned in image or damage to the OLED,s, it's just OLED wears quickly, so if you have static images on the screen for long periods, those subpixels will wear differently to those around them.
Burn in typically implies some kind of actual burn happening due to the pixels being on/illuminated too long.

Next gen OLED will be MicroLED by Samsung.
Apparently burn in isn't really an issue anymore if you use your display accordingly, I think LG models even have some kind of maintenance feature that helps you keep the display in good shape. Personally though, I coulndn't live with knowing that my display might/will degrade slightly over time.
Samsung QLEDs have better HDR performance and get way brighter, it's probably just a matter of preference. QLED has a better performance overall in controlled lighted environments.

Samsung and Sony have RGB OLED. (different from Samsung's QLED)
LG has W-OLED (White/greyscale only OLED, for each pixel, with an IPS LCD fused in front of it, so each IPS pixel (3 subpixels) has a corresponding white OLED pixel behind it, acting as the LCD's backlight.
It's basically IPS LCD with a 1:1 mapped local dimming backlight.

Samsung and Sony use real RGB (Samsung actually RGBW) OLED panels, they are slightly more vibrant when brand new, however since OLED subpixels of differnet wavelengths wear differently, over time the color accuracy will get worse.
W-OLED doesn't have that issue at the slight cost of vibrancy out of the box (still more vibrant than any non OLED screen)

no, burn-in was the term used on plasma display as well and there was no burning actually happening it was just the cell losing lumence from usage. The burn-in just refers to the visible pattern left behind.

wait for microled

I actually do this. It delivers the ultimate comfyness for browsing and even more when you watch your favorite series, movies and videos.

Buy the Q9S.
Can't beat a 85" 8K AI-powered TV

OLED's issue is that the blue pixel age much, much faster than the red or green ones, and the display maker can only keep cranking them ever harder before there's no more headroom and the overall display color starts turning yellow. Newer generations are supposedly better, but the jury's still out, and I wouldn't expect complete miracles.

QLED is just LCD with more saturated color via the backlight of color filter using quantum dots to downshift colors into tighter red and green bands respectively.

QDLED is the inorganic alternative to OLED with some better characteristics in theory, but apparently they die way faster somehow.

MicroLED/crystal LED is the only existing tech that has all the best characteristics with saturation, brightness, response time, and longevity, but since each pixel or subpixel is a discrete mounted solid state LED, this is a thing for billionaires only for the foreseeable future.

So overall i'd be better off/safer with just getting the Samsung QLED? I don't really have a tv at the moment anyway so i've just been using my 25" IPS monitor for gaming/watching shit on my pc, i'm guessing i'll be very content with either one regardless.

хopoший pyзкe - мeтpвй pyзкe, пoлзи oтcюдa cвинья.

Don't speak Adidas, dood.

I have an LG OLED TV and my receiver decided to display a popup message that wouldn't close by itself when I was away from home. A burn in happened and it pissed me off so much as it was very noticeable, but it vanished after a week or so.

>Is burn in really an issue with the OLEDs?
Can be, depending what you watch and the brightness the OLED is set to. Avoid content with highly saturated fixed elements (channel logos, game HUDs), and keep the brightness at 50% or less and you should be fine with OLED.

This is correct.

Samsung QLED TVs are LCDs that use quantum dots to enhance the backlight, improving color gamut and efficiency:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display#Quantum_dot_enhancement_layer

>Samsung and Sony have RGB OLED
Not relevant since neither company sells TVs based on RGB OLEDs. Sony, and every other company currently offering OLED TVs use LG's WOLED panels.

>LG has W-OLED (White/greyscale only OLED, for each pixel, with an IPS LCD fused in front of it
Total nonsense. LG's uses color filters to make RGB from white OLEDs. They definitely don't use LCD.

MicroLED for consumer displays isn't happening anytime soon. We'll see a few more iterations to LCD-based displays from Samsung before MicroLED.

Alright, with that out of the way, here's the lowdown on QLED for 2018:
-The 2017 Samsung QLED TVs were overpriced and underperforming LCDs with no local dimming. The "QLED" in the name was purely marketing, and in fact was no different from the quantum dot enhanced backlight used in their previous SUHD displays.
-At least some of the the 2018 QLEDs will be better, with Samsung bringing back local dimming to many of their sets, and possibly quantum dot color filters (QDCF) as well.
-Later this year they're supposedly releasing a high-end flagship set (the Q9S) with thousands of local dimming zones (compared to the usual hundreds), which should greatly reduce the haloing that can occur with typical low-zone count local dimming.
-The new sets MAY also be using QDCF (at least on the Q9S), for what amounts to a photo-emissive quantum dot display. It's still based on LCD, but in this case the backlight is blue (instead of the usual white), and the LCD layer regulates the light hitting the quantum dot layer. The blue light in turn excites the QDs, producing pure red and green (the blue light from the backlight passes straight through). This is actually a pretty exciting development, and the closest thing to a true electro-emissive QD display we'll likely see for the next few years. Being emissive, viewing angles should be improved over standard LCD.
-Samsung has also improved light rejection in the LCD layer, which combined with local dimming should improve black levels and contrast.
-None of this will be cheap.

In summary, if you have the cash and can wait until later this year, the flagship Q9S looks like it will give OLED a run for its money. The more downmarket Q9 and Q8 models likely won't have the same micro dimming or QDCF, so OLED may still win out here - especially for price/performance. 2019 looks like a more promising year for most people, as some of those high end features should filter down to more models.

>QLED
>Not self emmisive technology it makes out to be
>Is in fact tweaked LCD
Oh Shamsung

>either LG or Samsungs new TV's.
>netflix etc.
Enjoy your botnet fag

that screen looks great on my screen