OFFICIAL IT CERTIFICATIONS GENERAL:

Who /A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA Security, CCNP Security, and CCIE Security/ here?

Which certifications do you have? What has your IT career been like? Which certifications do you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=654&get_params=p_id:357
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I got a real education instead. Publicly funded too

Sorry you had to waste 4 years to find a position 19 year olds land with 6 months of studying and experience

A+, Security+, Linux+, CCNA, OSCP, Network+, CISSP
nobody will hire me because they'll underpay me

Do you list all your certifications? If any of those have expired I wouldn’t list them. Probably just the CISSP, Linux, and CCNA as well as your experience with prior jobs

?
you're making a lot of unfounded assumptions. did my post trigger you?

I have an A+ and if you've never worked on a computer before the A+ is a great start. But certs only open some doors, while degrees open more doors, the biggest difference in IT right now is customer service. Most engineers I work with have no idea how to talk with people. It's not your nerdy introverted Asperger's job anymore.

What degree do you have? I have the basic certifications I got to get an IT job during college while (still) getting my Bachelor’s in CompSci and EE

What happened to /itcg/?

current ones:
>all of those prior mentioned
>masters in computer science
>masters in communications

Is this bait? I can't tell

>Nerdy introverted job anymore

which is annoying since that is why I got into the field. I spend most of my fucking days in customer meetings where I have to lick their fucking boots or else my manager will be pissed.

All I want is to work at a small/medium-sized companies IT but since I'm now overqualified for that fucking shit and every fucking company ever outsources their infrastructure, I'm forced to work in IaaS and CaaS at a big company in a city I hate and have my day be fucking packed 24/7 with no time to even take fucking lunch.

I'm currently freshening up my programming skills so that I can be a front-end codemonkey instead.

CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNA Wireless here. The first two and some BSing in the interviews were enough to land me a job as an IT Administrator for a mid-sized business that I've held for about 6 years. The wireless cert actually came in handy as I had to design and implement a full wireless LAN for our three locations. Cisco certs are nice because you can reasonably get a new one after 3 years and it renews your others.

I intend to branch out with some MS certs but just haven't had the time yet.

What said is true. You need to be able to interact with people, and not lose your cool when you ask you really inane things. That goes a long way.

For background, I have a BS in Biological Sciences but decided the field was too fucky about 2 years into a PhD program. So I do have a Bachelor's degree, but it's not in what I do.

Have you considered any of the Google or Amazon certs?

not him, but the only one of those two i see actually being useful is an AWS cert

It is not

Not really yet. I haven't seen a high occurrence in job postings which include them, at least not in my area. My company also does just about everything in-house so certs for cloud-based administration wouldn't be too useful.

However, if I was looking at jobs that frequently listed them as requirement or preference, I certainly would.

oh, then the person who wrote is has to be retarded.
thinking that " 19 year olds with 6 months of studying and experience" have the same employment possibilities as a CS graduate is dumbfounding.

Just a simple a++ bro here... Still it dumbfounds me when I get on a support call and end up telling a local sysadmin, linux admin, firewall team, and EDI manager what's wrong with their fucking load balancer when my fucking job is to fix our software on their backed server.

Really opened my eyes that people with degrees in computer science usually have zero fucking clue how to actually troubleshoot and do root cause analysis.

What is an a++? Why do you have to do so much at your job? You should apply to a better paying position at least or maybe get some more certs to add to your experience

>Who /A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA Security, CCNP Security, and CCIE Security/ here?

I have serious doubts this is a valid url string

Are the Linux Foundation certifications worth a shit?

I'm a college dropout with no IT experience and a truly shit resume. Will the LFCS cert get me a job? Is it worth getting the LFCE cert as well? I know enough about Linux that I won't have to study very much for either of them, which makes them appealing. I have no idea how they'll affect my job prospects, though.

I like the Linux Foundation ones because they're non-profit and distro neutral. I think that being "The Linux Foundation" probably makes up for the fact that their certification program isn't as well known as Red Hat's, but I don't know.

Do you have any certs to begin with? You’re probably gonna need the big 3 and then maybe even the CompTIA Linux+ and some work experience before any advanced certs and job offers

Reminder that certs are for retards
The same people who get certs are the ones who went to devry and itt tech

This is me in two years:
BSc (Hons) Computer Networks and Security
CCNA: Routing and Switching
CCNA: Security

I'm looking forward to a fun career.

No, I've got jack shit.

When you say that I probably need these things before the advanced certs, do you mean that nobody will care that I have the advanced certs if I don't have the other things, or that I probably won't be able to get the advanced ones without the other stuff? I'm reading the prep material for the LFCS right now, and I don't think it's going to be difficult.

I don't necessarily expect to get a sysadmin job right off the bat, but these are the certs that best reflect my skill set, I think, not to mention my intention to work towards a relevant position.

I'm going to guess that the "big 3" are the first three listed in the OP. The Linux Foundation has a comprehensive "Overview of Domains and Competencies" on its website, but I haven't been able to find anything like this for CompTIA's certifications; not that I've spent a lot of time looking, but it doesn't seem to be in the top few Google results. I therefore have no idea how advanced those certs are, or how Linux+ is different from the LFCS. I would have assumed that something like the LFCS would imply the A+ skill set, because who learns how to configure a kernel before they learn how to diagnose a dead PSU or whatever? That's like knowing how to rebuild an engine but not how to change a tire. I can understand why that might not be the case, though. I don't really understand why Linux+ should come before a different Linux one.

currently cursing LFCE after finish the LFCS

Certs are retarded but employers like them even if you have a degree and a good portfolio.

In fact if you want to do any sort of government contracting you fucking have to have that shit. Personally I'm CySA and OSCP.

I'm about to turn 20 in a couple of days and I'll graduate this year. However I'm going to go to another uni for another 4 years so getting certs and actually having to renew them would be very annoying since I'll probably not get any working experience for those certs in the meantime anyway.

At least I'm at ICND R&S 1 level for Cisco and I should be able to just wing it if I attempt to get the first 2 LPI certs. I do take studying pretty seriously since I really like IT anyway.

I'll probably get some certs about a year before graduating from the next university.

>>I'm looking forward to a fun career.
got some bad news for you user

What do you mean user?

Net+ Sec+ CySA Linux+

>Most engineers I work with have no idea how to talk with people
Holy shit this. When I interned as a technician for a school district they stressed so hard that I needed to have good soft skills and not be a dick to clients. I didn't realize how big of a problem this was. I'm unsociable as hell but I can at least pretend to be nice.

>Most engineers I work with have no idea how to talk with people.

That's because real engineers aren't customer facing and your """engineers""" are technicians who install cables

>19yo
>Experience
Pick one

Sauce?

Certs are overvalued. Take it from an MSc in CS + CISSP, CISM, CISA, CEH, OSCP. The only cert worthwhile was the OSCP, but nothing beats a proper diploma and staying on top of your game. Don't think for a second that after school you're done studying.

Are there any certifications for programming? I have a CS degree but no experience. Have been applying for entry level developer jobs for a few months and got no offers. Never imagined it would be this hard to get a job as a fresh grad.
Maybe if I had a cert someone would hire me?

I would but all I have is this one year of work experience, my own hobby experience, and my now expired comptia a+ certification. Nobody would hire me for anything more than software support engineer, which is what I already am. My game plan is to build a few years of experience at this and then either move to dedicated implementation support or grab a lowlevel sysadmin job at a small business that cant afford to be picky about my lack of formal education.

What is starting young?

Not experience

this is me in 2 years as well user godspeed and good luck

fugg, this is me in a couple months thanks to no internships.
want to try to get into sec so was looking at those some of those certs.

>pockets jutting out from pants

I only have an A+. I want to get into Cyber Security, mostly a Security Administrator role. I don't have a degree so I'm wondering if I should study for the CCNA or Network+ since I have no experience? Where would I go from there, Security+ -> CISSP? Any other certs I should be looking at?

I have Sec+ since I needed it for DODD 8570. I'm also looking to get CEH.

You're retarded if you think anybody cares about renewing certs

Sec+, CEH, GPEN, GWAPT

Taking GAWN in a couple weeks, and currently going through OSCP

>inb4 SANS
work has no training budget and foot the bill as long as I keep passing them.

You wont be able to get the job or the certs probably. Some have prerequisites and you won’t even get a job interview probably unless you have relatable experience

alexa grace

Not him, but :shrug:, I get paid well to do exactly what I like at a great company so it works out. No certifications, just slacked off in classes and picked stuff up on my own.

long time network admin w/ CCNA+compTIA trio here

recently did AWS CDA and have to say it really opened a lot of doors for me. Cloud is super easy to get hands on xp and build a portfolio with. If you have the infrastructure basics and even peripheral programming knowledge you can pretty much jump right in and start building stuff.

>You wont be able to get the job or the certs probably.
>or the certs
I understand why I might not be able to get a job, sort of (more on that in a second). Why should I not be able to get the certs? I've looked through about half of the online prep course and encountered almost nothing that I haven't known by heart for years. If knowing this stuff is enough to pass the exam, I've got it in the bag, without a doubt. There are no prerequisites for these certs. Anybody who coughs up the money can take the exam. As far as I know that's true of the RHCSA as well, to which the LFCS is supposed to be comparable.

As far as their usefulness in finding employment, if you were to tell me that they are not useful in the absence of other qualifications (like a degree), I would have no reason not to believe you (whether or no that's the case was my original question). It is a little confusing that they should only be useful in combination with experience, since I don't know what the point of a cert is other than to demonstrate that you can do something, and I don't know why you'd have to do that if you've already been doing that thing. I assume what you're telling me is that these certs are intended for people who are trying to move up from an lower level IT position to a more advanced IT position, that I'm not going to get a Linux sysadmin job without experience in a lower position, and that I should therefore start with certs that qualify me for a lower position. Right? Or are you saying that without experience no certs are going to help me get any job?

If you're telling me to start lower, my question would be this: Assuming that I'm applying for suitably entry level positions, is there such a thing as being overqualified when your only qualifications are certs? Because I feel like I am not going to compare well to the competition, given my shit resume, no matter what.

There are.

Oracle has a java certification:
education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=654&get_params=p_id:357

Public cloud providers also offer developer and "DevOps" certifications which tend to focus more on application architecture than specific programming tasks and language features but are nonetheless valuable in the field.

CCNA/CNNP are the only certs worth anything at the moment, most employers don't give a shit about anything else.

How difficult is the Network+? It's going to be the first cert that I'm going for ever. After that I'm going to try for A+ and then CCNA. Not sure what to get after that though.

I got both the net+ the A+ and the CCNA, and if I had to categorize the difficulty from easiest to most difficult it goes Network+, A+ IT Tech desig., then CCNA,

network+ imo the easiest cert i've done to date.

desu if you're aspiring to work in networking I would skip it and go for the CCENT instead so you'll be halfway to your CCNA. the A+ you can take or leave, it's pricey but headhunters love it and the whole point of certs is to get some real experience under your belt anyway.

Also don't even think about taking the CCNA composite. it's the same price as taking the separate tests but makes it an all or nothing thing. if you take ICND1 and pass but fail 2 you still end up w/ CCENT and any subsequent attempts will essentially be half price.

Really, I listed my resume on DICE and Indeed less than 24hrs ago and just my CISSP got me two interviews next week alone, both looking at atleast a 25% pay raise over my current position.

Maybe you are over valuing yourself?

Ive only done some free certs, i gotta say this is seriously pricy. but worth it if it gets you a job

>seriously pricy

AWS are like 150$ to sit for an exam. I don't know anyone in a position that requires even the most basic AWS knowledge that isn't making enough that the cost to sit the exam is even on their radar.

Linux+

>Linux
If you have used linux for a while and understand how to write a bash script getting linux+ shouldnt be a problem. I would recommend taking some mock tests to see where your weak. Then go take the test asap. This way you will save yourself time and can get the cert in like 3 months if you really bust your ass and are committed.

The certs thing, just like degrees will always help you in going for higher up positions, but experience is always key. The certs don’t have prerequisites which is good for you, so I would get those and just try and get as much relevant experience as possible

>linux+
What's the difference between Linux+ and LFCS? Why is one better than the other? You're the second user to suggest that it's the way to go, but I'd like to know why that's the answer I'm getting.

>3 months
I've been looking at the course that the LFCS is based on (which is why I'm asking about it), and based on how quickly I'm getting through it I think it'll be more like 3 weeks. I don't think I'm going to see anything in here that I haven't done before, but I'm going to read through it anyway. I believe that you can schedule an exam with as little as 24 hours' notice. You take it over the Internet on a web-based terminal while a proctor watches you through a webcam, and you get one free retake.

>just try and get as much relevant experience as possible
I don't know how to get relevant experience without getting a job, so I don't know why I keep getting told that that's what I have to do to find a job. If the only way to work in this field is to already work in this field, I'm probably going to end up having to do something else. You'd think this was the case based on the job descriptions that you see on indeed.com, but I'm assuming that it isn't really.

That’s why you’re probably gonna need to get the intro certs and get lower level jobs before applying for the Linux related ones. It shouldn’t take long however. Youtube “networkengineeracademy”, he helps kinda give an outline of how to reach higher positions

So what do you actually have to know? Because if the bar is as low as described it sounds absolutely worthless.
I'd expect there to at least intimate enough knowledge to write your own driver. But that's just from the requirements here.

Certs are only a measure of how well you can take a test. They don't really gauge troubleshooting and problem solving skills.

Thanks, I was leaning toward the CCENT over Network+ but thought I would try the Network+ test since I'm taking a networking class that goes over all the material in the Network+ test.

I'm a little confused though. You're saying I can go straight for the CCNA instead of the CCENT first?

Is that a tranny?

I sure hope so.

buttmad no certs faggot detected

For those that have a CCNA, how long did it take you to study?

I have a RHCE (work paid for it) I don't recommend any certs it's all a Fucking scam

so is the ocsp supposed to be paid by your employer? pretty pricey for it and the registration requires an employer provided email.

I had 6 months IT experience when I was 18

As someone with no certs, how are these exams given, is it online at home or you go to a test center like for a SAT or GRE

Dont think kubernetes popularity will up google cert value?

I would like to say the same thing.

>say
I meant know.

testing center

Thanks

Yeah, you have 2 options for taking CCNA

you can take ICND1 (CCENT) followed by ICND2 (CCNA)

or you can take the composite CCNA which is essentially both tests in one.

last i looked ICND1 and 2 are both 150$ each while the composite is 300$.

if you take the composite you either pass or fail, with the two test approach you open up the possibility for a third outcome where you pass CCENT and get the cert plus you'll only be paying 150$ for ICND2 next time around where if you were to fail the composite you'd have to pay the full 300$ to retest.

having any cisco cert is going to trump NET+ in any situation since it's basically somewhere in between CCENT and CCNA in terms of high level concepts but sort of abstracted to the point where it doesn't cover any real world examples.

IE in net+ you might answer "what is EIGRP?" whereas in cisco world you would be asked "how do you implement EIGRP given x y and z constraints?"

All learning stuff u can download from torrents.
>Which certifications do you have?
I have in ass to pay money about this shit.

Net +, CCNA
Gonna take CCNP Switch end of this year

>not taking composite
If you are serious and studied enough it shouldn't be a problem.

Is A+ required to get a tech support job? I'm going to get it anyway, I just want to know if I should spend 123 good Boy Points beforehand.

>getting a job without any certs unless you have 10+ years experience

Probably unless you have lots of experience

Security+ only right now.

You don't live in America

>Cisco ios
>security
Kek

bump

Any user's know of the best or any decent brain dumps? Decided to get my life together and would like to get the big 3 as fast as possible.

>Web developer
>4+ years commercial experience
>Want to move into IT
How hard would it to get some certs and get a well-paying job? I feel my experience in a vaguely-related industry and my ability to speak like a retarded normie would help me

Java OCA here, I do the needful

Are there any qualifications for strong women in tech?

haha fucking minorities and women hehe :^) amirite guise?

>He does IT