/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc
youtu.be/u7xRjE3Sylw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yavx9yxTrsw
alange-soehne.com/en/order-catalogue/
youtu.be/86NsiH3BDe0
watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/search/?SB=Popularity&STYLE[]=GMT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Daily reminder that if you're wearing an analogue watch that's less than 38mm in diameter you're a pathetic wristlet cuck with a woman's watch.

>>Required viewing for new people:
>youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

I'm bored of this. Can you post something new (no ArchieLuxury movie either)?

Here user, have Roger Smith showing how he makes a case:

youtu.be/u7xRjE3Sylw

Good thing mine is 38 on the dot :^)

Here

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yavx9yxTrsw

>being morbidly obese

Is there going to be any noticeable difference in movement between a 17, 23 or 29 jewel watch?

An old men's watch doesn't magically become a women's watch just because new ones are larger.

>I'm a Soyboi cuck with twigs for wrists: The Post

>37mm
Welp, guess it's time to neck myself

What if it's less than 38mm on the short axis but more than 38mm on the long axis?

This watch is 48mm

Wear it in good health

Most people aren't part sasquatch

lmao

How large are you?

6’5 250lbs

When I stand up too quickly I pass out, and getting an erection can be lethal

Looking to expand my horological literature. Recommendations welcome. Going to try and find eBooks of all these and bundle them into a collection.

>Technical Books
Watchmaking - George Daniels
Practical Watch Repairing - Donald De Carle
Watch Repair for Beginners - An Illustrated How-To Guide for the Beginner Watch Repairer - Kelly, Harold C
Watch Repairing as a Hobby - An Essential Guide for Non-Professionals - Fletcher, D W.
Maintaining and Repairing Mechanical Watches - A Practical Guide - Wiles, Mark W.
Complicated Watches and Their Repair - Donald De Carle
The Watch Repairer's Manual - Fried, Henry B
The Watchmaker's and Model Engineer's Lathe: A User's Manual - Donald De Carle

>Coffee Table Books / Pictures
alange-soehne.com/en/order-catalogue/

>History
On the Origin of Clockwork, Perpetual Motion Devices, and the Compass - Derek Solla

Mfw this makes his bmi 29.6, massively overweight

I’m really not though

You literally are.

Nah

to be fair bmi doesnt mean shit. If that guy is fit and has a bit of fat on him he can easily be 250.

It’s really not right for me, I just looked and to get to 24.9 I would be 210lbs, and low normal would be 159 lbs

I think I would literally die before hitting that weight, it would not be healthy- much less “normal “

I can bench 260 lbs 3 x10 and squat 3.5 plate 3x5

There's literally no difference

In the king of wristlets but this looks better than expected

youtu.be/86NsiH3BDe0

The jewels don't mean shit, basically. If you know the exact movement, or at the very least the brand, you can start to have an idea of the quality.

That strap doesn't work with the style.

>SNK on leather

Back to plebbit you boring soy.

No it doesn't!

Probably the ugliest, most boring soyko in existence.

>hajime asaoka uses a specific type of lacquer from a cashew tree
Neat.

Can anyone recommend me a dual-time/gmt watch that is below $250? Like something okay that I won't cry if it gets stolen, but is a bit dressy without looking like nigger shit.

Right now looking at this...

Oh I had never seen that comment. He replied two weeks ago on a video from 2012, that's cool.

Got celestial :3

That's "a bit dressy"?

Guess I'm not a wristlet anymore. 44mm here, but wears smaller than a mako and 007

Fuck off fedora cuck.

Pretty nice user. Hope you like it

Keep this rubber band for dummer or buy a steel bracelet?

Imagine being so fat you can't Imagine being a normal weight

watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/search/?SB=Popularity&STYLE[]=GMT

I assure you for a man with a large frame and 8.75 inch wrists, 159lbs is not a healthy or normal weight

>I can assure you that all medical science is wrong and I'm right

Can you bench your bodyweight for reps?

Of course I can, I don't have my own gravitational pull and change the tide every time I roll outta bed

Is Lebron James overweight?
He has a BMI of 27.5 btw.

Yes
My arm looks nothing like that

BMI basically is wrong for anyone who is over 6’2 and works out

You know BMI is for quick wide statistical analysis of populations and not for individual cases.
Taking calipers and doing a body fat percentage test is more accurate for individual cases over BMI.

Does James lebron post on a watch general on Sup Forums? Lmao of course not ya ham planet

6.5" wrist. Only watches that I am bummed I cannot pull off are the Black Bay, Sumo, and Marine Master.

Lmao

You have a huge skeleton my negro

>mfw /wt/ becomes /cbt/

When is a strap too cheap/expensive for the watch it's going on? Is it even worth putting a decent leather strap on a shitter?

its a bit on the huge side, but i like it

Why do so many of you guys buy watches that look comically large on you? This delusion has actually changed the face of the watch industry. I am actually asking you because I am curious as to what goes through your mind.

Too small imo

bmi is wrong for anyone that works out I am a fucking manlet at under 15 percent body fat and my bmi is 27.4

I, for one, am happy with the new huge watch trend.

That size looks perfect on you. You should aim for that size for divers and maybe a mm smaller for dress watches.

>knows the history of BMI
>The interest in an index that measuresbody fatcame with increasing obesity in prosperous Western societies. BMI was explicitly cited by Keys as appropriate forpopulationstudies and inappropriate for individual evaluation.
lamo let's apply it to individuals

that bezel is fucking crazy nice but that is a big fucking watch m8

>n-no see it dosent apply to m-me
Lmao

I like my SKX and wear it most of the time but as I have nearly 9 inch wrists I have to wear it with all links and the diver extension out

Why not just buy some more links man?

>creators and users say not to apply it to individuals
>lamo use it fatty
I can assure you that all medical science is wrong and I'm right. t. (You)

You have to remember a lot of watches look too big in photos due to wide angle perspective distortion, especially if the watch is thicker.

I emailed miltat to buy extra links and they didn’t write me back

The longest oyster I have ever seen only goes to 8.25 inches

Of course it doesn't mean "every individual", because some people don't have fucking legs or arms or have bizarre deformities. What's yours, your neck 80 pounds, 5 feet long? Lmao

Most pics posted are close up photos and are not a good indicator of actual fit at all. Need mirror shots for that

I think it's the picture angle, i tried the 36 which is way too small, because i actually don't like massive watches. the 41 is just right IMO

>inappropriate for individual evaluation
Not sure how you minced that into what you said. But you do you and keep telling medical science they are wrong and you are right.

i agree on the leather, but natos are the most soy thing ever according to Sup Forums

no no on we all take pictures of watches we all know about the close up effect.

i would have gone 36 but if you like it then congrats. it is a nice watch.

damn bro

NATO straps are comfy as fuck my man.

I have a Strapcode super engineer on my Pulsar PW3001.

>window for the LCD is an oval instead of an octagon
Missed opportunity to be honest.

If they'd have made it an octagon it would have been far more attractive